• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-gen Racing Graphics Face-off | (Next-gen means current-gen)

leeh

Real:
2015-05-1323.53.2747o8a.png

GT6:
mountpanoramamotorracltx72.jpg

FM5:
getphotorru16.jpg
A town in the distance has any effect on the accuracy of the track your racing on because?

p3tran

Banned
SimTourist

so, you've got ....~50 hours clocked on fm5 (a 20 month old game that you claim you are the biggest fan of), most of them in the course of two weekends,
you dont even have done 20 races online (pretty basic achievement caught my eye missing), and these 50 hours in total include time spend on menus, browsing car vistas, photos, liveries, tune setups etc. and even trying to browse and buy cars, or use the livery editor or the tuning manager. let alone make a basic plate/design/your name/etc that practically everybody does.
(and I wonder how many of those hours you spent trying to find the single place in all 17 forza tracks that you took your picture. and that of course includes ...off-track scanning every track.)

What motive can I have if I'm the biggest fan of said franchise?
biggest fan indeed!
I mean, Dan Greenawalt should call you on stage @E3 and give you a gold plaque or something.

I will also give you a gold plaque when you "snap" for me another pic that demonstrates this problem you are so concerned about.

MouldyK

so, you've got ....~50 hours clocked on fm5 (a 20 month old game that you claim you are the biggest fan of), most of them in the course of two weekends,

I will also give you a gold plaque when you "snap" for me another pic that demonstrates this problem you are so concerned about.

And how's your Forza Career then?

ShamePain

Banned
you dont even have done 20 races online (pretty basic achievement caught my eye missing), and these 50 hours in total include time spend on menus, browsing car vistas, photos, liveries, tune setups etc. and even trying to browse and buy cars, or use the livery editor or the tuning manager. let alone make a basic plate/design/your name/etc that practically everybody does.
(and I wonder how many of those hours you spent trying to find the single place in all 17 forza tracks that you took your picture. and that of course includes ...off-track scanning every track.)

biggest fan indeed!
I mean, Dan Greenawalt should call you on stage @E3 and give you a gold plaque or something.
So, I don't race online because it's mostly a wreck fest, zero interest in that, I don't paint and I don't tune. You can troll all you want, to me 50 hours is a lot of time to spend on a single game, especially so slim on content as FM5, but I still love the series and have been a fan since when I discovered FM3 back in 2009 accidentally.

p3tran

Banned
And how's your Forza Career then?

I never called myself "the biggest fan", I know very well that there are people that really put much more in forza than I can. but still, number of hours is definitely in the quadruple digits for me.

50 hours for forza is really nothing. I think anybody understands that. and one to call himself the biggest fan, so that all his trolling falls under that umbrella.....
I mean, game was even free for a weekend or two, so even people that DO NOT play/like forza can have more hours than 50.

edit:
So, I don't race online because it's mostly a wreck fest, zero interest in that, I don't paint and I don't tune. You can troll all you want, to me 50 hours is a lot of time to spend on a single game, especially so slim on content as FM5, but I still love the series and have been a fan since when I discovered FM3 back in 2009 accidentally.

yes yes, I totally understand....

Now, can you bring us another picture that shows this shadow problem that <<you have to avoid>>?

leeh

We've even had aussies come here and say that FM5 looks nothing like the real thing.
This is a racing game, the track is accurate, the surroundings may not be. There's still no issue. To say 'your the biggest fan' while having nothing but criticism for the franchise is hyperbole.

ShamePain

Banned
I never called myself "the biggest fan", I know very well that there are people that really put much more in forza than I can. but still, number of hours is definitely in the quadruple digits for me.

50 hours for forza is really nothing. I think anybody understands that. and to call yourself the biggest fan, so that all your trolling falls under that umbrella.....
I mean, game was even free for a weekend or two, so even people that DO NOT play/like forza can have more hours than 50.

I've completed almost all of the career, there was nothing left to see or do. I'm close to lvl 150 and that's enough for me. I know there are freaks that will grind till lvl 999, but thankfully I still have a life to live outside of games.

ShamePain

Banned
This is a racing game, the track is accurate, the surroundings may not be. There's still no issue. To say 'your the biggest fan' while having nothing but criticism for the franchise is hyperbole.

How can the track be accurate if the surroundings aren't accurate lol? I have plenty of criticism for all the games I play, is that a bad thing? Or should I put on rose tinted glasses and ignore all problems?

p3tran

Banned
I've completed almost all of the career, there was nothing left to see or do. I'm close to lvl 150 and that's enough for me. I know there are freaks that will grind till lvl 999, but thankfully I still have a life to live outside of games.

first of all, you know so little for the biggest fan that you are, that you even think forza tops at level 999.
fyi, I'am level 1200+ and there are lots of people in the 4-5 thousands level

then, you say you have life to live that only gives you 50 hours to play your most favorite game....
how many hours you spend only here on gaf, trolling your same "favorite" game? waaaaay more than 50.

first of all, you know so little for the biggest fan that you are, that you even think forza tops at level 999.
fyi, I'am level 1200+ and there are people in the 4-5 thousands

then, you say you have life to live that only gives you 50 hours to play your most favorite game....
how many hours you spend only here on gaf, trolling your same "favorite" game? waaaaay more than 50.
You sound rather like an ass yelling at someone for "only" having 50 hours in a game in a thread about technical matters.

c0de

How can the track be accurate if the surroundings aren't accurate lol? I have plenty of criticism for all the games I play, is that a bad thing? Or should I put on rose tinted glasses and ignore all problems?

You don't race in the surroundings, though...

MouldyK

50 hours for forza is really nothing. I think anybody understands that.

That is true.

I mean from July - September last year, I spent probably 5+ hours a day on Forza games, doing all the challenges in Forza 2 (75 laps of Nissan Oval, anyone? I did that 5 times a night for 10 nights.) and 3 and most of Forza 4 (bought Porsche DLC to get reward points faster so I didn't have to do all the events).

But, since I got the game in September, i've only clocked 49:09 into Forza 5 because that game does not appeal to me because of the bad career mode.

Boop. Can anyone top my Forza Fan'ness? Those last played dates are wrong.

I salute you sir! :D Even my 300 hours of Forza Reward grinding in 2 months is not enough to beat you. :D

I would label myself as "The Biggest Casual Forza Fan". Like I don't normally play much of it, but I do take a bigger interest in it than most, mostly the features of gameplay like the career mode (which is crap in F5, in case you never seen me say that before...)

79hrs and 37minutes on Splatoon though prove that even if Forza 6 had low content, if the content there is good enough, i'll play it.

p3tran

Banned
You sound rather like an ass yelling at someone for "only" having 50 hours in a game in a thread about technical matters.

I am not yelling of course, and I'm out of this thread anyway, please continue your technical discussion(?) and excuse my interruption.
(but do ask shamepain to provide you another pic displaying what he says "he has to avoid". you will learn something hopefully)

ShamePain

Banned
fyi, I'am level 1200+ and there are lots of people in the 4-5 thousands level

Well, if you wanna wank over the amount of time you've spent on a game then do it somewhere else. It's not the topic of this thread.

leeh

Because they don't laser scan for miles around the track, rather than the track itself? In addition, I'm pretty sure they use contractors to speed up that process so results could vary.

So do I, for example, FM5 really suffers from the lack of AA & AF and the structure of online needs to be more seem less with a career mode which isn't so unrewarding and long-winded.

Although, it revolutionised racing AI, was the first game to include dedis for console racing online and was the first game to get a laser scanned Nurburgring while having all the models reworked for next-gen (take notes GT). It was a backwards step in the franchise in terms of content, but in terms of technology and pure fun its still, in my opinion, the best console sim. Although, as you know, there's not many...

SatansReverence

Hipster Princess

Not entirely true.

A lot of the time drivers will use off track cues for braking/turning/power out points. That said, They don't really need to be perfectly accurate as any good driver would come up with their own anyway.

leeh

Not entirely true.

A lot of the time drivers will use off track cues for braking/turning/power out points. That said, They don't really need to be perfectly accurate as any good driver would come up with their own anyway.
They're still there, in the promotional video, the pro driver which they used and had the xbox sponsored car, made that exact comment saying all the cracks/cues etc was in the version.

ShamePain

Banned
Because they don't laser scan for miles around the track, rather than the track itself? In addition, I'm pretty sure they use contractors to speed up that process so results could vary.

So do I, for example, FM5 really suffers from the lack of AA & AF and the structure of online needs to be more seem less with a career mode which isn't so unrewarding and long-winded.

Although, it revolutionised racing AI, was the first game to include dedis for console racing online and was the first game to get a laser scanned Nurburgring while having all the models reworked for next-gen (take notes GT). It was a backwards step in the franchise in terms of content, but in terms of technology and pure fun its still, in my opinion, the best console sim. Although, as you know, there's not many...

For a laserscanned track it sure is full of inaccuracies.
Real:
116228225.jpg

PCars:
3aws1s.png

FM5:
GetPhoto.ashx

Notice how the rumble strip on the right is lacking the square patter thingy in forza.

c0de

Not entirely true.

Yes, surely. I mean tracks change a lot from year to year so drivers have to adjust themselves accordingly. If people expect to race on tracks like they are in real, they should go to these tracks and drive there. That doesn't mean games shouldn't even try to be as realistic as possible. But good drivers know where to break, no matter what track or game it is, it even applies to Mario Kart.

ShamePain

Banned
Also the 50 hour figure seems to be inaccurate for my playtime. The same site shows that I've already played PCars for 12 hours and I've only had it for like 5 days. My guess would be that Xbone only tracks your time when your console is connected to the internet. And for the majority of the time I didn't have internet back in mid 2014 when I purchased my Xbone and played Forza 5 the most. Otherwise I can't explain because I've barely started on PCars and it's already up to 12 hours, I'm only up to Season 3 in career.

Noobcraft

For a laserscanned track it sure is full of inaccuracies.
Real:
116228225.jpg

PCars:
3aws1s.png

FM5:
GetPhoto.ashx

Notice how the rumble strip on the right is lacking the square patter thingy in forza.
I made this comparison. I'd like to see the GT6 version because neither of the games here get it 100% right. Forza did a much better job getting the angle of the rumble strip right, but it's missing the brickwork (you can see it at the beginning of the strip painted red). Both versions have rumble strips on the interior of the turn which may be an update to the track, or just an inaccuracy. Project cars has the dip on the track just after the turn that's there in real life, but the lighting makes it hard to tell if F5 features the same dip.

but still, number of hours is definitely in the quadruple digits for me.

I've never put more than 300 hours into any game, and that includes all my favorite games. You look like a complete tool going after that guy like this. Quadruple digits in a racer? My god man.

Yiazmat

I made this comparison. I'd like to see the GT6 version because neither of the games here get it 100% right. Forza did a much better job getting the angle of the rumble strip right, but it's missing the brickwork (you can see it at the beginning of the strip painted red). Both versions have rumble strips on the interior of the turn which may be an update to the track, or just an inaccuracy. Project cars has the dip on the track just after the turn that's there in real life, but the lighting makes it hard to tell if F5 features the same dip.

Hmm, here it is:

VanWinkle

Also the 50 hour figure seems to be inaccurate for my playtime. The same site shows that I've already played PCars for 12 hours and I've only had it for like 5 days. My guess would be that Xbone only tracks your time when your console is connected to the internet. And for the majority of the time I didn't have internet back in mid 2014 when I purchased my Xbone and played Forza 5 the most. Otherwise I can't explain because I've barely started on PCars and it's already up to 12 hours, I'm only up to Season 3 in career.

There's no reason to defend yourself anyway. It was a pointless nitpick of your knowledge from someone who has spent an unholy amount of time on the game, just because you said "biggest fan," despite it bring obvious you weren't being literal.

I can forgive them for not capturing the detail perfectly on the right rumble strip as long as the strip itself is in the right place, but it looks like T10 did a piss poor job with the left rumble strip in that pic

Tripolygon

Banned
I can forgive them for not capturing the detail perfectly on the right rumble strip as long as the strip itself is in the right place, but it looks like T10 did a piss poor job with the left rumble strip in that pic
I think what he is saying is you see a certain group of people going on about laser scanning and accuracy but in actuality it isn't more accurate than in other racing games.

Noobcraft

Hmm, here it is:
I got an updated Forza pic closer to the RL picture in terms of camera angle if you want to update that. I had a tough time matching the angle exactly since it's a weird resolution so if someone can do better go ahead. It's hard to match a cropped photo lol. Also LOL at the world not loaded in right, let me play around some more.
GetPhoto.ashx

Sayad

Well, the pictures you posted seem to be in spring/noon whereas FM5 seems to be during a hot season close to dusk.
The GT5 picture looks like it's in summer or spring, FM5 looks like it's in a post-apocalyptic version of the track.

magawolaz

Can we please upload pics to imgur or flickr? Abload.de and the Forza website are slow and they don't let you keep the pic in cache (at least not in Firefox).

welp, new page. Sorry, I got nothing.

Top Bottom