• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-gen Racing Graphics Face-off | (Next-gen means current-gen)

DCs IQ hasn't changed since launch

Every time a major patch hit people suggested it had yet pics prove it false each time

I do agree that it's cleaner looking than PCars though

Who was comparing it to pCARS?

pCARS' IQ is bad, Driveclub's is meh.

Meh compared to what? H2 might be better, but I think the coverage is really good and it does not look blurry to me. Anyway, I guess agree to disagree here.

I mentioned Project Cars here because on paper it uses better AA, but the end result is worse.

Can someone please explain to me what IQ is and what it does to the visuals of a game. Because I'm seeing some people say DC's IQ is bad but I don't know what they mean by that cus I think DC looks really good.

c0de

Can someone please explain to me what IQ is and what it does to the visuals of a game. Because I'm seeing some people say DC's IQ is bad but I don't know what they mean by that cus I think DC looks really good.

IQ means image quality and means that the rendered image gets worse or better with techniques that influence the image like anti aliasing or anisotropic filtering. Resolution is also a big factor for image quality but not the only one.

IQ means image quality and means that the rendered image gets worse or better with techniques that influence the image like anti aliasing or anisotropic filtering. Resolution is also a big factor for image quality but not the only one.

Oh ok thanks for the explanation man.

spyshagg

Should not be allowed to breed
It is time, I say.

Enough with the peasant screenshots and sunday drives - For time as come, to feel the SPEED.

- Proper driving for proper petrol heads. Lets show what kind of "game" these games have.

- pick your entries wisely, and let the next-gen touge showdown begin

Representing DRIVECLUB
A ferrari. A blistering fast point to point road. Blue skies, birds chirping and Every millisecond accounted for.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=207JJwnfrxc

Noobcraft

It is time, I say.

Enough with the peasant screenshots and sunday drives - For time as come, to feel the SPEED.

- Proper driving for proper petrol heads. Lets show what kind of "game" these games have.

- pick your entries wisely, and let the next-gen touge showdown begin

Representing DRIVECLUB
Thread just got weird.

Gestault

From some messing around on the track last night in Project Cars, I really do dislike the ghosting, and it's definitely visible in gameplay for me. Otherwise, the game looks pretty nice.

Still pissed that Polyphony disabled the motion blur in GT6 1.2 update, I think this was the only shot I captured with it on :(

granturismo6_168tiq0.jpg

Now it's only on show briefly (3-4 seconds) with Sierra's random camera setup for cockpit and bonnet cams.

VanWinkle

Still pissed that Polyphony disabled the motion blur in GT6 1.2 update, I think this was the only shot I captured with it on :(

granturismo6_168tiq0.jpg

Now it's only on show briefly (3-4 seconds) with Sierra's random camera setup for cockpit and bonnet cams.

Man, that looks great.

Edit: Oh, you didn't mention that the motion blur was only in replays, not during gameplay.

http://abload.de/img/granturismo6_168tiq0.jpg[img]

Now it's only on show briefly (3-4 seconds) with Sierra's random camera setup for cockpit and bonnet cams.[/QUOTE]
I hate it when devs remove something like that, they should have at least made it a toggle in the options for those who want to use it.

Does it matter? I've found two more:

granturismo6_22lss9n.png

granturismo6_23tos6u.png

I hate to admit it but I honestly don't think PD will ever implement motion blur in gameplay. It's been present in promo media since GT5, and it's been in replay modes since GT4 I think. Never been seen in gameplay and the lack of it gives it an awful sense of speed.

benzy

I hate to admit it but I honestly don't think PD will ever implement motion blur in gameplay. It's been present in promo media since GT5, and it's been in replay modes since GT4 I think. Never been seen in gameplay and the lack of it gives it an awful sense of speed.

Motion blur wasn't possible on last-gen hardware without reducing the framerate to 30fps. The replays with MB in GT6 ran at 30fps and the game looked noticeably slower than at 60fps. If PD were toying with it in GT6 I think they'll add it in for GT7. Forza 5 is also the first game in the series to have 60fps with motion blur, so PD weren't the only ones not able to implement it in gameplay last gen while not halving with framerate.

I'm also not seeing the awful sense of speed in GT5 and 6...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LOWRa8l-Aic&t=1m

From some messing around on the track last night in Project Cars, I really do dislike the ghosting, and it's definitely visible in gameplay for me. Otherwise, the game looks pretty nice.

Was afraid of this. I hope we can turn off the TAA in a future update and remove the ghosting.

Motion blur wasn't possible on last-gen hardware without reducing the framerate to 30fps. The replays with MB in GT6 ran at 30fps and the game looked noticeably slower than at 60fps. If PD were toying with it in GT6 I think they'll add it in for GT7. Forza 5 is also the first game in the series to have 60fps with motion blur, so PD weren't the only ones not able to implement it in gameplay last gen while not halving with framerate.

I'm also not seeing the awful sense of speed in GT5 and 6...

They hadn't started toying with it in GT6. As I said, it's been present in promo media and replays since GT4 or GT5. Also, Forza 4 had basic motion blur on the roads in gameplay, that helped the sense of speed and the game stayed at 60FPS during that. Of course it looked much better in the first Horizon game which was 30FPS, but FM4 still did it.

And the sense of speed isn't there, even in that video. It's most noticable on the straights, the guy is doing 360km/h and the only thing to suggest he's doing more than 100 is the fact that the trees are speeding by him. The road doesn't look like it's passing by fast, there's no sound or obvious shaking that makes it exhilerating and fast feeling.

ShamePain

Banned
They hadn't started toying with it in GT6. As I said, it's been present in promo media and replays since GT4 or GT5. Also, Forza 4 had basic motion blur on the roads in gameplay, that helped the sense of speed and the game stayed at 60FPS during that. Of course it looked much better in the first Horizon game which was 30FPS, but FM4 still did it.

And the sense of speed isn't there, even in that video. It's most noticable on the straights, the guy is doing 360km/h and the only thing to suggest he's doing more than 100 is the fact that the trees are speeding by him. The road doesn't look like it's passing by fast, there's no sound or obvious shaking that makes it exhilerating and fast feeling.
Having all the bells and whistles in the world is a bit too much to ask from an old ass GPU, don't you think? PS4 should be powerful enough to let PD's engine really shine.

Gestault

Having all the bells and whistles in the world is a bit too much to ask from an old ass GPU, don't you think? PS4 should be powerful enough to let PD's engine really shine.

The vacillating between claims that GT6 is as good or better than current gen standards, followed by excuses about the hardware behind it when the ways it isn't up to par are brought up gets really old. Frankly, that's why I wouldn't have included it in the current-gen face off. It's a game that can look very good, and often doesn't. Yeah, that's primarily because it's a last-gen game that had technical challenges. Hence why it feels out of place in this thread.

Gestault

^ Sooooo... No more GT discussion until Polyphony shows something running on a PS4?

My preference is to show/discuss games that exist and have at least been shown off, and that if the conversations around a game rely on deferring to it not being from the current-gen to explain shortcomings, then a thread with this title isn't the place for it. That's hardly law, but that's how I look at it.

ShamePain

Banned
The vacillating between claims that GT6 is as good or better than current gen standards, followed by excuses about the hardware behind it when the ways it isn't up to par are brought up gets really old. Frankly, that's why I wouldn't have included it in the current-gen face off. It's a game that can look very good, and often doesn't. Yeah, that's primarily because it's a last-gen game that had technical challenges. Hence why it feels out of place in this thread.

You can't expect it to be up to par in every single respect. Hell, I could make an argument that PCars/Forza aren't up to par to either GT/DC in terms of lighting, modelling and other things.
All in all, I think that people take these comparisons a little too seriously.

My preference is to show/discuss games that exist and have at least been shown off, and that if the conversations around a game rely on deferring to it not being from the current-gen to explain shortcomings, then a thread with this title isn't the place for it. That's hardly law, but that's how I look at it.

GT6 is the only exception iirc.

le-seb

Did this get patched or something? DC is a really beautiful game, and the lighting and dynamic effects are obviously stunning, but during my brief time with the game during launch week I remember it being noticeably jaggy.
Two shots of the invitational event taken with the Share button a few minutes ago, with latest patch (v1.15) installed:
7QFtmR.jpg

sNMMto.jpg

I've already said that earlier here, but lighting conditions and camera angles can have a huge impact on how jaggy this game can look.

Gestault

I've already said that earlier here, but lighting conditions and camera angles can have a huge impact on how jaggy this game can look.

That's been my experience too. Also, certain trees are really unflattering, but others you barely notice any problems with. The two shots you provided are great illustration of how much the scene can effect the appearance of aliasing.

Do you have any youtube videos of this? Looks damn good (i'm a big fan of motion blur).

I've gone back to blur so we'll see...

granturismo6_372jduio.png

Some disabled options in 1.18, these must be Polyphony's eye candy trailer settings?

setEffectParameter defocus 0
setEffectParameter glare.enable 0
setEffectParameter autoexposure.enable 0
setEffectParameter vignetting.enable 0
setEffectParameter heat_effect.enable 0
setEffectParameter motionblur[0].enable 0
setEffectParameter motionblur[1].enable 0
setEffectParameter motionblur[2].enable 0
setEffectParameter colorcorrect[0].enable 0
setEffectParameter colorcorrect[1].enable 0
setEffectParameter colorcorrect[2].enable 0
setEffectParameter blurfilter.enable 0
setEffectParameter autofocus.enable 0
setEffectParameter disablePostAA 1

I'll problably get roasted for this but in my opinion Project Cars looks ( except for the weather ) better and sharper than DC. It doesn't look as fuzzy. Sure, DC looks awesome when it's pouring or snowing and the photomode is simply amazing,,,,but without the weather patch, the game looks good but not great. Personally I really prefer the looks of PC.

Call me crazy, but my main problem with DC is the framerate ( I know, I know...PC framerate also is not that great ). Although being a steady 30 fps, the sides ( scenery ) seem to chuckle and mover slower than the images shown in the center of my Vierra ( tv is fine; it's calibrated ). What could cause this? Can't wrap my head around it, but DC just doesn't look as fluid as FH2 ( which also is steady 30 fps ) and I can't unsee the sides moving slower / skipping frames.

benzy

There was no motion blur in GT4 replays during gameplay angles, they ran at 60fps. GT5 also didn't have motion blur in replay gameplay views. GT6 was the first to have it, then PD removed it in a patch.
And there's very little camera shake or reaction to road bumps in Forza 4. GT5 actually looks much faster and more exhilarating in comparison. Seems we're fully getting out of topic now though so I'll just agree to disagree.

gt5: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LOWRa8l-Aic&t=1m
F4: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AFmlNI7BM4U&t=1m15s

I don't get it, so what's the excuse for pCars Xbone having a lower resolution but still almost performing as badly as GT6... because of the hardware? Seems like this thread was also created to further keep these types of comparisons out the racing game OTs like the other thread, in which case I'd rather have it happen here.

"The previous vs thread for Forza/Gran Turismo seemed to do a good job of keeping other discussion threads a little neater, and made a heck of a fun "Reader's Digest" of the best of the genre."

Shamepain can maybe go a little overboard with his hype and claims, he did the same when we argued DC vs FH2 in which he was a huge supporter of Forza, but I think he just likes getting into these debates... lol

OCD Guy

Driveclub is definitely the best looking racing game currently.

The only "issue" is it's not consistent. At times it doesn't look that hot. I remember first playing the India tracks at launch and the first thing that hit me were the jaggies and terrible textures.

However on certain tracks when the lighting hits, and the rain starts it looks almost photo realistic.

Nyx

I'll problably get roasted for this but in my opinion Project Cars looks ( except for the weather ) better and sharper than DC. It doesn't look as fuzzy. Sure, DC looks awesome when it's pouring or snowing and the photomode is simply amazing,,,,but without the weather patch, the game looks good but not great. Personally I really prefer the looks of PC.

Call me crazy, but my main problem with DC is the framerate ( I know, I know...PC framerate also is not that great ). Although being a steady 30 fps, the sides ( scenery ) seem to chuckle and mover slower than the images shown in the center of my Vierra ( tv is fine; it's calibrated ). What could cause this? Can't wrap my head around it, but DC just doesn't look as fluid as FH2 ( which also is steady 30 fps ) and I can't unsee the sides moving slower / skipping frames.

I had the chance to play a few hours of PC last Saturday after which I started up DC again and have to disagree. Even in sunny weather conditions DC looks better if you ask me, it looks less 'cartoony' to me. More natural colors perhaps? Don't know how to say it otherwise.

The most obvious difference between the two games for me has to be the sense of speed though, DC really nailed that.

I had the chance to play a few hours of PC last Saturday after which I started up DC again and have to disagree. Even in sunny weather conditions DC looks better if you ask me, it looks less 'cartoony' to me. More natural colors perhaps? Don't know how to say it otherwise.

The most obvious difference between the two games for me has to be the sense of speed though, DC really nailed that.

The lighting engine used in DC is fantastic, but somehow it looks fuzzy during gameplay but my main concern still is the framerate/ chuckle at the borders of the screen. When looking on google, more people seem to have this problem. Guess some people ( including me unfortunately ) are more sensitive than other. Even while playing Mario Kart 8 at launch ( a whole different game ) it noticed minor hiccups. Eurogamer said game wasn't 60 fps but drops to 59 fps...sounds crazy I know.

Some disabled options in 1.18, these must be Polyphony's eye candy trailer settings?

damn that looks amazing

lol I deleted my gamedata just last week so I could watch and maybe capture some motion blur replays.

Also is there a secret menu in GT6 like 5 that's accessible via gamesave, best thing was being able to choose what cars your opponents drove, something you can't do in the game regular.

There was no motion blur in GT4 replays during gameplay angles, they ran at 60fps. GT5 also didn't have motion blur in replay gameplay views. GT6 was the first to have it, then PD removed it in a patch.
And there's very little camera shake or reaction to road bumps in Forza 4. GT5 actually looks much faster and more exhilarating in comparison. Seems we're fully getting out of topic now though so I'll just agree to disagree.

gt5: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LOWRa8l-Aic&t=1m
F4: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AFmlNI7BM4U&t=1m15s
Okay, I was mistaken about it being in replays, but it was definitely in promo media from what I remember. The video where they revealed weather had two things missing from the final game, very nice high res raindrop textures and motion blur.

I don't get it, so what's the excuse for pCars Xbone having a lower resolution but still almost performing as badly as GT6... because of the hardware?

Having 45 cars on track. I think it performs fine when it's around GT/Forza car counts, but having that many cars is very taxing on both CPU and GPU, CPU for processing physics and AI while the GPU handles the sheer amount of polygons and particles.

pixelbox

What is this?

I just sometimes hate how the environments look in Project CARS. Cardboard people, plain looking trees, plain looking ground and grass, plain textures, plain shadows and lighting. And yes, you can see all that even during racing. This isn't about the replay camera perspective.

Tweaking everything to maximum and ultra settings should give me corresponding graphical quality. That only looks horrible.

In contrast, the environments do make the cars look better.
It's a driving game. Why do people care so much about the graphics? Anyone can see that it looks worse than DC. So what?

It's a driving game. Why do people care so much about the graphics? Anyone can see that it looks worse than DC. So what?
People want the racing genre to move forward. Racing games should be about immersion, right? What better way to immerse yourself in the race than having great looking tracks/environments?

I mean, all current gen racers have amazing car models(not sure about The Crew), so what's next to improve? Environment.

Top Bottom