• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-gen Racing Graphics Face-off | (Next-gen means current-gen)

bj00rn_

Banned
People want the racing genre to move forward. Racing games should be about immersion, right? What better way to immerse yourself in the race than having great looking tracks/environments?

I mean, all current gen racers have amazing car models(not sure about The Crew), so what's next to improve? Environment.

How about making cars behave more like cars, or is that too radical..

Malcolm9

People want the racing genre to move forward. Racing games should be about immersion, right? What better way to immerse yourself in the race than having great looking tracks/environments?

I mean, all current gen racers have amazing car models(not sure about The Crew), so what's next to improve? Environment.

How many current gen racers run at 60fps (pretty much) with dynamic weather & lighting?

Just one, Project Cars.

The game looks great, and apart from the motion blur needing dialling down on the PS4, it's a very clean looking game.

You always hear people state they prefer frame rate over resolution, yet they're are the first people to bitch if the game isn't eye popping candy visually.

nib95

Banned
Handling. AI. Crash simulation. Environments are good enough.

No they aren't. Not even close. And it's the graphics that form a huge bulk of the realism and immersion. You can improve all of the things you mentioned, and if the graphics or environments are lacking, the illusion will falter, especially when video games can never truly replicate perfect physics and the like, mostly because of feedback and experience differences between sitting in an actual car, versus just holding a pad or wheel.

No they aren't. Not even close. And it's the graphics that form a huge bulk of the realism and immersion. You can improve all of the things you mentioned, and if the graphics or environments are lacking, the illusion will falter, especially when video games can never truly replicate perfect physics and the like, mostly because of feedback and experience differences between sitting in an actual car, versus just holding a pad or wheel.
Thank you.

I agree completely. I never would have thought, but I am indeed regularly taken out of the game when I see those static crowds at the start line, or some poorly detailed environment as I come slowly around a bend.

We're at the point where yeah, the physics are good. The tracks are good. The cars are good.

It's time to focus on environment. Make it more dynamic, more believable, better weather, better lighting. For a simulation racer that has no gimmicks, immersion is absolutely key. And something we've seen this gen and moving forward is that as graphics come closer to photorealism - the weak points stick out even more. In action games I find that the incredible textures and lighting make poor animation jump out like a sore thumb. In shooters it's the lack of destructible levels. In racers - it's the environment that is often the weak link.

Noobcraft

Movement physics might be good enough, but damage models and physics on environment objects are very lacking. Nothing says immersion like ramming into a chicane at 150mph causing a few flecks of paint to peel off the hood.

Malcolm9

So for you guys complaining about the visuals, would you prefer it to be 30fps for the extra graphical enhancements you speak of?

Stillmatic

Saw this Driveclub environments montage posted on Twitter:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cXEPjrj-3gA

Driveclub has amazing looking environments.

Wow, that's pretty neat. If I had seen this earlier I would've included it in this 'Driveclub pack' I've just uploaded.

I've put this folder together pretty much to showcase and share why this game is so good:

Download is 1.3GB | Has a 15 min video, audio file for engine sounds, 458 of the best photomode screens I came across and some quick gameplay screens thrown in too.
https://mega.co.nz/#!69ET3DbI!HXRsDJv0gK2QeAS1JKshucc52sYqQYOqMqR7Jjw28cc

It's all GAF user content except for the audio clip. I uploaded the video to YouTube but compression, so I just uploaded everything to Mega even though the video is still compressed (PS Share footage).

Shaneus

Wow, that's pretty neat. If I had seen this earlier I would've included it in this 'Driveclub pack' I've just uploaded.

I've put this folder together pretty much to showcase and share why this game is so good:

Download is 1.3GB | Has a 15 min video, audio file for engine sounds, 458 of the best photomode screens I came across and some quick gameplay screens thrown in too.
https://mega.co.nz/#!69ET3DbI!HXRsDJv0gK2QeAS1JKshucc52sYqQYOqMqR7Jjw28cc

It's all GAF user content except for the audio clip. I uploaded the video to YouTube but compression, so I just uploaded everything to Mega even though the video is still compressed (PS Share footage).
Awesome. Was the number of photos intentional? ;)

ShamePain

Banned
So, some Forza 6 and Forza 5 bullshots for comparison:
1a046a20-bf43-4bda-89e3-965d226cc7f9.jpg

Photomode:
getphoto52ovt.jpg

The lighting looks exactly the same honestly.

In stills, I would agree that Driveclub looks nice, but you're not a true racing sim fan unless you're getting a solid frame rate somewhere between 50 to 60fps - or higher, but at least 50fps if we're going to be forgiving.

30fps is completely unacceptable unless you're entirely in it for the eye candy.

TheMAK

Banned
Lol at the ShamePain stealth edit.... why edit out your claim that the leaked FM6 "BS" will probably downgraded supposedly like FM5 ?

In stills, I would agree that Driveclub looks nice, but you're not a true racing sim fan unless you're getting a solid frame rate somewhere between 50 to 60fps - or higher, but at least 50fps if we're going to be forgiving.

30fps is completely unacceptable unless you're entirely in it for the eye candy.

Well, DRIVECLUB isn't a racing sim.

ShamePain

Banned
Lol at the ShamePain stealth edit.... why edit out your claim that the leaked FM6 "BS" will probably downgraded supposedly like FM5 ?

Cause I went and took my own shot and replaced the old FM5 bullshot? We don't know whether FM6 is gonna be downgraded or not, Forza games have a precedent of not quite reaching the PR materials.

There's nothing wrong with the lighting in Forza 5.

GT looks most convincing in overcast or darker conditions as did PGR and most other racers I can think of.

ShamePain

Banned
There's nothing wrong with the lighting in Forza 5.

GT looks most convincing in overcast or darker conditions as did PGR and most other racers I can think of.

Except shadows that map on cars incorrectly as they always have, car shadows don't map on other cars and plenty of other strange behaviors.

Oh yeah I get that, I thought you meant looking at the scene as a whole.

Under the sun imo the game looks good but yeah I know what you mean with the shadows. It's not really something I'd focus on while playing though.

ShamePain

Banned
Oh yeah I get that, I thought you meant looking at the scene as a whole.

Under the sun imo the game looks good but yeah I know what you mean with the shadows. It's not really something I'd focus on while playing though.

I was kinda expecting them to make major leaps akin to FM2>3>4, but the shots prove otherwise, not that FM5 looks bad but a lot can be improved, but perhaps a simple architecture means they've maxed out the system early on and recent improvements like MS giving back 7th core to devs resulted in more AI on track rather than graphical upgrades. Well, guess we'll see come release.

I was kinda expecting them to make major leaps akin to FM2>3>4, but the shots prove otherwise, not that FM5 looks bad but a lot can be improved, but perhaps a simple architecture means they've maxed out the system early on and recent improvements like MS giving back 7th core to devs resulted in more AI on track rather than graphical upgrades. Well, guess we'll see come release.

Yeah I would be slightly let down if the game looked exactly the same as Forza 5 under the same conditions, the improvements from previous game to game was apparent to varying degrees (along with some scaling back to accommodate the changes) still F5 was a dramatic improvement and if they feel they can't push the bar much higher given 24 players then so be it.

Maybe some improvements in materials will give the game a fresh look.

ShamePain

Banned
Yeah I would be slightly let down if the game looked exactly the same as Forza 5 under the same conditions, the improvements from previous game to game was apparent to varying degrees (along with some scaling back to accommodate the changes) still F5 was a dramatic improvement and if they feel they can't push the bar much higher given 24 players then so be it.

Maybe some improvements in materials will give the game a fresh look.

Guess we'll see in due time, still I'm very excited to see Prague, Nurburgring and Yas Marina at night.

p3tran

Banned
A uniform shading method is needed for cars/track to avoid things like this:
wed_may_13_04-49-15_uzas5k.png

you keep on bringing up this pic
Just snapped this one for you mate.
wed_may_13_04-49-15_ubhu2h.png

in reality, the only way you can make this happen is if you go waaaay out of the track, and try to cut back and go down the big slope from the sand. (OUT of the track, see where the road is)
but sure, keep on telling us thats how forza looks, and how you NEED TO AVOID it happening.
In fact, why dont you "snap" for me another occasion where this happens?

I am so bored of reading your recycled trolling comments. you should invest your time in other things.

Horizon 2 looked surprising good at night (didn't rate Horizon 1 compared to other games with night racing) I'm excited and curious to see how F6 fares. A cheap pallette swap like F4's alternative time of day wouldn't do anything for me.

Expected to see rain or night for F6, both in one game was a surprise. If we are talking about a wet track scenario, a night race scenario then that's cool, I'd hope for a dynamic weather and lighting solution as a selling point for F7. There's no doubt this is shaping up as the Forza game most people wanted.

Stacey

Banned

What a heap of shit.

ShamePain

Banned
you keep on bringing up this pic

in reality, the only way you can make this happen is if you go waaaay out of the track, and try to cut back and go down the big slope from the sand. (OUT of the track, see where the road is)
but sure, keep on telling us thats how forza looks, and how you NEED TO AVOID it happening.
In fact, why dont you "snap" for me another occasion where this happens?

I am so bored of reading your recycled trolling comments. you should invest your time in other things.

If you have a dynamic lighting model this doesn't happen, easy as that, this doesn't happen in Horizon, guess why - because the lighting is the same for cars and the environment. Dynamic lighting simply means the scene is consistent and won't have any oddities like this. You might not care about this but plenty of people do, it's time for T10 to move away from decade old lighting tricks or they risk being left behind when every other sim racer has dynamic lighting. It seems like they are though and I applaud if they indeed have dynamic ToD in Forza 6.

p3tran

Banned
If you have a dynamic lighting model this doesn't happen, easy as that, this doesn't happen in Horizon, guess why - because the lighting is the same for cars and the environment. Dynamic lighting simply means the scene is consistent and won't have any oddities like this. You might not care about this but plenty of people do, it's time for T10 to move away from decade old lighting tricks or they risk being left behind when every other sim racer has dynamic lighting. It seems like they are though and I applaud if they indeed have dynamic ToD in Forza 6.

really? I guess I was dreaming when I saw pretty much the entire gaming community jerking off to prebaked light maps of AC:Unity, but somehow in forza its a deadly crime.

and dont avoid my question!

"snap for me" another occasion that this happens. this that you say that "you have to avoid"

really? I guess I was dreaming when I saw pretty much the entire gaming community jerking off to prebaked light maps of AC:Unity, but somehow in forza its a deadly crime.

and dont avoid my question!

"snap for me" another occasion that this happens. this that you say that "you have to avoid"

On average, AC Unity has real time shadows, but baked GI. WHich is different from baked shadows completely for basically the entire game world.

Dilly

Banned

What a load of bullshit, I have been racing simulators for over 10 years but never had the budget to buy a PC that would always guarantee that amount of FPS, yet I am one of the faster drivers in time trials held in a simulator on this forum.

And you're telling me I'm not a true racing sim fan because I don't have enough frames rendered on my screen?

leeh

For you to judge a full game which, presumably, is running on a new engine, from 3 small pictures which give hardly any indication of the game in question, you must really have a motive against that franchise.

ShamePain

Banned
For you to judge a full game which, presumably, is running on a new engine, from 3 small pictures which give hardly any indication of the game in question, you must really have a motive against that franchise.

What motive can I have if I'm the biggest fan of said franchise?

leeh

What motive can I have if I'm the biggest fan of said franchise?
If you was the biggest fan, you'd know that the 'prebaked' lighting is accurate of the lighting when the track was modelled on and usually raced on. For example, the glare you get coming over the hill at Bathurst.

I've also seen that same effect slated on here for being ridiculous bloom, but if you check out some dash cams of racing on that track, exact same effect.

ShamePain

Banned
If you was the biggest fan, you'd know that the 'prebaked' lighting is accurate of the lighting when the track was modelled on and usually raced on. For example, the glare you get coming over the hill at Bathurst.

I think we've long established that FM5's Bathurst doesn't look anything like the real thing.

leeh

I think we've long established that FM5's Bathurst doesn't look anything like the real thing.
Proof? Id be more inclined to believe the pro driver who did the promotion material for when they announced the track, considering it was laser scanned...

Top Bottom