• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-gen Xbox is on track for 2026; features two SKUs including a Switch-like handheld, it's claimed

But we're really wasting time here and I've got work to do, if Microsoft make a new console feel free to come back to me when it obviously has FIFA etc. on it because all we're doing is going in circles. We're mostly on the same page but the hypothetical world where MS release a new system and it only plays MS games is just complete guff.

Your idea that MS can be first and third party (releasing on all platforms) at the same time is completely absurd...

It never happened in the history of videogames for a reason...

Xion_Stellar

People should stop referencing data that makes me feel uncomfortable because games get ported to platforms I don't like
Yeah or even lower spec :)

Plug it in if you want the big boy graphics and as always consoles to pc comparisons aren’t really valid.
Yeah your right it's not realistic for Microsoft to spend money on top of the line hardware that came out that same year more then likely it would be something similar to a 7840U

Deerock71

Suspicious Channel 9 GIF by Married At First Sight

The problem is that the wise choice would be to buy a PlayStation instead. You get all the Xbox games plus all the cool Sony exclusives too.

So fewer Xbox consoles will be sold and eventually Microsoft will stop making consoles because the majority of folks are buying Sony.

It will take a while but it seems inevitable

The problem is that the wise choice would be to buy a PlayStation instead. You get all the Xbox games plus all the cool Sony exclusives too.

So fewer Xbox consoles will be sold and eventually Microsoft will stop making consoles because the majority of folks are buying Sony.

It will take a while but it seems inevitable

I don't get how there are people here that are failing to see this

MS would be selling something that doesn't have any purpose and is not needed in any way

Their consoles have no demand NOW, guess what's gonna happen after they go third party?

Last edited:

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
Once you go third party, there’s no coming back.

You’re already burning bridges with your most faithful supporters by putting your console exclusives on the direct competition.

If they think Series consoles underperformed, wait until they see the next one.

The full third party rumours must be greatly exaggerated then because no chance selling these with no console exclusives in sight. Could Gaf have got it all wrong? Stay tuned for the next hot take.

I have been telling people it was coming much earlier than PS6 and that they were doubling down and making more way to play

Guess my Sept ish info is still valid?

I dunno anymore

Man, if they're still doubling down, with this Handheld now in place of a Series S for next gen, in 2025, then their suits are operating on 100% 🤡 mode.

Also, are you sure PS6 is 2027 and not 26? Makes sense since Pro is this year and nextgen 3 years away is adequate timing, traditionally.

The full third party rumours must be greatly exaggerated then because no chance selling these with no console exclusives in sight. Could Gaf have got it all wrong? Stay tuned for the next hot take.
Buy the box get a (kinda?) free game pass sub for some years? They could keep game pass exclusive to their consoles and sell single games elsewhere? Or some tiered subs?

Kinda hard to make sense of it. xD

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
Man, if they're still doubling down, with this Handheld now in place of a Series S for next gen, in 2025, then their suits are operating on 100% 🤡 mode.

Also, are you sure PS6 is 2027 and not 26? Makes sense since Pro is this year and nextgen 3 years away is adequate timing, traditionally.
Last I had heard PS6 was 2027 at the earliest with the Pro launching this year but am I sure? Nothing would surprise me

Do you know more than we do?
I first mentioned nextbox coming early back in Aug and have been telling people they Xbox were doubling down on hardware with more ways to play for awhile now

DavidGzz

I don't get how there are people here that are failing to see this

MS would be selling something that doesn't have any purpose and is not needed in any way

Their consoles have no demand NOW, guess what's gonna happen after they go third party?

Ok, so what console will offer Game Pass if not the new console? 25 millions subs. Why would they quit making a platform to use it on? I highly doubt Sony or Nintendo will allow Game Pass.

Just because Xbox is adding another revenue stream(Blue $nakes) doesn't mean an Xbox console/or handheld is useless.

Once you go third party, there’s no coming back.

You’re already burning bridges with your most faithful supporters by putting your console exclusives on the direct competition.

If they think Series consoles underperformed, wait until they see the next one.
the only way i see it delivering is if it's open. Like, just a windows box that has steam-ui like interface, and you can do what you want in there. A cheap PC, or a Steam-deck like handheld. Then sure.

splattered

If they make a super powerful series x successor as well as a super powerful dockable handheld I think they will nail the two console approach much better second time around. I for one will happily buy four of the high end traditional consoles as well as four of the portable units for my family/house. Would be cool if they figure out some sort of docking solution that ties into the traditional console sitting by the TV so it can take up less space.

Ok, so what console will offer Game Pass if not the new console? 25 millions subs. Why would they quit making a platform to use it on? I highly doubt Sony or Nintendo will allow Game Pass.

Just because Xbox is adding another revenue stream(Blue $nakes) doesn't mean an Xbox console/or handheld is useless.

Sure they can double down on the GamePass pipe dream....

We already saw what happened this gen...

And you can use GamePass on any smart TV, streaming stick on the planet (also PC)

You don't need an Xbox console for GamePass...

That's actually what MS told everyone and everyone listened

midnightAI

I first mentioned nextbox coming early back in Aug and have been telling people they Xbox were doubling down on hardware with more ways to play for awhile now
I can see them doing exactly what is in the OP, my main worry is though that I was well into the Windows Mobile platform and right before they gave up completely on it there were heavy rumours of a Surface Phone based on the design philosophies of the Surface tablet so MS actually making their own hardware, everyone was excited, then.... gone. I just hope history isn't repeating itself.

midnightAI

An XBOX branded and focused steam deck would be the BEST thing for them to come out with.
So they can get trounced by Nintendo instead of Sony? what if the rumours of a new PlayStation portable are true? they could be walking straight into a minefield (it would still be cool to see though)

DavidGzz

Sure they can double down on the GamePass pipe dream....

We already saw what happened this gen...

And you can use GamePass on any smart TV, streaming stick on the planet (also PC)

You don't need an Xbox console for GamePass...

That's actually what MS told everyone and everyone listened

Sure, how many people are using it on smart TVs? I was talking about console exclusive gamers. For sure if you're a PC gamer, an Xbox is redundant. Cloud gaming is great all of a sudden?

Now I see people laughing at a handheld since it's Xbox but they'd eat shit for a Vita 2. Lol.

reinking

Gold Member
I am all for another handheld in the market but now they are setting their sites on Nintendo too? This looks like they are going to fight two different console wars at the same time. Go directly after Sony and Nintendo. Not to mention Steam Deck is already going to offer a lot of what they are going to offer. That is a bold move.

IMO, they had their chance to get in front of the handheld PC focused market and waited too late. In typical MS fashion, instead of leading they are playing catch up. I do not think they would have gained enough support if they had done this at the start of this generation competing mostly with Nintendo. After all, they offer a lot of game Nintendo does not. This though? Unless they plan to start making some of their PC launches exclusive to Xbox/Game Pass, they are now taking on Nintendo plus Steam Deck and all other PC handhelds. I hope it works out for them but I think they are late to the party.

Mr.Phoenix

But we're really wasting time here and I've got work to do, if Microsoft make a new console feel free to come back to me when it obviously has FIFA etc. on it because all we're doing is going in circles. We're mostly on the same page but the hypothetical world where MS release a new system and it only plays MS games is just complete guff.
Ohhhhh... ok I see where the issue is. You don't even get how extreme my hypothetical world is. I don't even believe they will release a new console. I believe they will allow rumors to suggest they will. They may even announce a new console initiative. But I do not believe we will ever see an Xbox console in the traditional sense again.

As I said before, I would sooner see them going the OEM route and "Xbox" becoming some sort of OS and QA standardized platform. So we end up with like 4-5 Xbox "consoles" from Microsoft (think a surface Xbox), Asus, asrock, Samsung....etc.

Reactions: AV
Good luck with that. With all these rumors swirling about you really have to wonder what’s going on. Next week is going to be very interesting indeed. Stay tuned for next weeks upcoming episode of SPENCER SPEAKS.

blakdecaf

Steam deck and obviously, the switch, blew open the doors on powerful handhelds. Sony and Microsoft will be all over some of that pie.

midnightAI

But the XBOX branded steamdeck would already have a library of thousands of games, instantly being the better purchase.
It has that now though, being XBox branded doesn't change things, its sold well, but you are still only talking low millions of sales, not 100 million like Switch, even Vita sold 15 million and that was considered a flop.

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
Damn, I get that the Switch is selling like hotcakes, but chasing that market...

Good luck.

Dr_Ifto

It has that now though, being XBox branded doesn't change things, its sold well, but you are still only talking low millions of sales, not 100 million like Switch, even Vita sold 15 million and that was considered a flop.
Not just branding, but special improvements or things that are xbox only. They need to lean on the PC side, and being portable would be a a boon for them to dip into the indy market and take from Nintendo. It would be better than a standalone xbox handheld not able to play pc games.

reinking

Gold Member
But the XBOX branded steamdeck would already have a library of thousands of games, instantly being the better purchase.
Except Steam Deck and all of the other pc hand held devices already have thousands of games too. What is Microsoft going to offer that these do not?

Sanepar

What if MS only went 3rd party until the new Xbox came out in 2026 and then went 1st party again. MS loves doing retarded things, I can see them trying this and wondering why it crashes and burns spectacularly in 2026
I would say this has good chances, put games on the other consoles and 5 years later taking them.

This sounds even worse than Series S/X pair.
I disagree, at least it's not really like it's two of the same console but one is shittier for no reason other than to be cheaper.

At least if they did this, it's shittier because it's portable haha.

I would buy this over a switch any day of the week. Like if I could play Indiana Jones on this while riding in the car, HOLY SHIT.

Porticus

I disagree, at least it's not really like it's two of the same console but one is shittier for no reason other than to be cheaper.

At least if they did this, it's shittier because it's portable haha.

I would buy this over a switch any day of the week. Like if I could play Indiana Jones on this while riding in the car, HOLY SHIT.

Can't you play already Indiana Jones on the Steam Deck?

So what's the reason?

Can't you play already Indiana Jones on the Steam Deck?

So what's the reason?
Yea true, I feel like this will be a cheaper alternative for people.

I think this is the right route to go rather than just make a worse console that works the same as the other one.

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
Yeah like some ppl said now MS will be competing with Valve and Nintendo.....along with still competing with Sony...... and Nintendo.

Jesus Christ this better work. And Sony better not be making a handheld.

midnightAI

Not just branding, but special improvements or things that are xbox only. They need to lean on the PC side, and being portable would be a a boon for them to dip into the indy market and take from Nintendo. It would be better than a standalone xbox handheld not able to play pc games.
Well unless they can at least match Steam Deck price then what is the point though? Both would play PC games so unless MS come out with something either price competitive or massively more powerful then it would be a pointless device would it not? They are competing with a variety of other PC manufacturers (and Valve), so they'd have more competition than they have now and thats without even mentioning Switch (well, Switch 2 more likely and that doesnt even need or will never need PC compatibility, same for a potential PS handheld, brand loyalty goes a long way for both of these)

(and just to be clear I'd like to see it, even consider getting one)

Last edited:
Top Bottom