• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NextGen Wheels peripherals PS4 and Xbox One Thread: NeoGaf Wheel Club Updates in OP

Anyone know if the drivehub improves wheel performance over the latest CronusMax? I am currently using one for my G27 in GTS and it feels like it did on my PS3.

After 5+ years I finally took the wheel out of the closet and set it up to to drive. I bought the Fanatec Porsche 911 GT3 RS (PC only now, used to work with the PS3) and the Porsche 911 Turbo S (Multiplatform) in 2009. Used the Turbo S mainly to play Forza 3 (kinda disappointing game for me) and GT5 (loved this one) with a little iRacing hot lapping in the mix. I ended up selling it back in 2011 together with my Clubsport Pedals. With no pedals to drive the GT3 RS ended up not getting any use for all this time. To tell the truth, I remember taking it out to test it on some games on PC not too long ago. PC1 and Dirt Rally worked with gas and brake on the paddle shifters but Assetto wouldn't let me use this configuration. Needless to say, driving this way was no fun at all. Wheel back in the box.

Earlier this year I decided to buy a set of cheap pedals just to see if I would have the motivation to use the racing wheel again. Got the Fanatec CSR Pedals for 40 bucks. Not a big investment if I ended up not using it. Got the pedals a few months ago but only now with the GT hype I decided to get off my lazy ass and get my old wood wheel stand out of the garage and set this whole thing up.

Started Assetto Corsa and after a little configuration I was back on the Nordschleife in a Ferrari 458. Initial impressions are good, nice physics and FFB but I felt the wheel rotation was not set properly because I had to turn the wheel a lot on slow corners. Maybe I need to get used to it. Anyway, after a couple laps and a few crashes I was not really feeling it so I decided to switch cars. Porsche 911 GT3 RS seems like a good idea. Better experience than the Ferrari but again not really felling it. Maybe a racing car? Ferrari 458 GT2 it is! Now THIS is pod... I mean, car racing. This car really made all the difference to me. GT3 is my favorite class in GT so I guess I'm more used to it. I was able to drive the way I was suppose to and it was a lotta fun. Now I need to decide if it is fun enough to compensate for having this setup taking space at all times. Because I certainly will not put it in the box and take it out again every time I want to play.

I will do some more testing with other games today and will decide. I mainly want to play GT Sport so I will also have to buy a Drive Hub Converter to use this wheel. Decisions, decisions.

ruttyboy

Any thoughts on the GIMX? I've seen that Drivehub thing, but I don't want to spend anywhere near that much. G27 to PS4 is what I'm after.

Mascot

Any thoughts on the GIMX? I've seen that Drivehub thing, but I don't want to spend anywhere near that much. G27 to PS4 is what I'm after.

What's the difference in price? The plug & play ease-of-use with the DriveHub would sway me over all the faffing about required with the GIMX.

Don't forget the 10% off the DriveHub too.

ruttyboy

What's the difference in price? The plug & play ease-of-use with the DriveHub would sway me over all the faffing about required with the GIMX.

Don't forget the 10% off the DriveHub too.

GIMX you can build yourself, or get one ready made for €33 inc. postage to the UK from the creator.

EDIT - Well, it's confirmed, I'm weak. I just ordered one, I'll post here how I get on in case there's any interest.

isamu

OMFG HOLY MOTHER OF MARY IN HEAVEN I CANT BELIEVE IT WTF WHERE ARE MY SEDATIVES AAAAHHH
GIMX offers more flexibility and is being improved more rapidly than DRIVE CLUB. I know Matlo for a long time and he is a great guy! He is on the verge of releasing version 7.0 which will offer major improvements to the software. I prefer it since I'm using a DD wheel which aren't natively supported on home consoles. In fact my PS4 arrived late last night so I will be attempting to use my Bodnar wheel on the PS4 for the first time ever and hopefully get GTSport running TODAY!!!!!!

Keep in mind it's already been working flawlessly for me on PS3 with GT6 and even Ridge Racer 7. A buddy of mine has an Accuforce DD wheel and has been using it on his PS4 to play GT Sport demo via GIMX and it's been working perfectly for him. Strong and detailed FFb!

Finally, with GIMX, you can emulate a Logitech G27 on PC. Matlo and I worked together to make this possible in order to play games that are incompatible with various old or niche(aka high end industrial) wheels. My buddy is using his Accuforce to play Forza 7 and it's working beautifully, which brings me to this:

I have a favor to ask to anyone who has access to the forza forums and can post....

There's a few guys over on the Forza FFb thread that is in severe pain because they can't use their DD OSW wheel to play Forza 7. They keep asking if anyone knows of any possible to way to play the game with thier DD wheel. I am extremely frustrated because I want to respond and help them, but I can't sign into the forums at all for some strange reason and I'm not banned. Here's the thread:

https://forums.forzamotorsport.net/turn10_postst105351_OSW-wheel-no-FFB.aspx

And another thread:

https://forums.forzamotorsport.net/...etting-there--needs-a-little-more-oven.aspx?=

Can one of you PLEASE go in those threads, and simply post a link to this thread as well as *THIS ONE* and let them know there *IS* a solution, I'd appreciate it. I'll be happy to help them answer questions regarding GIMX.

Drastic

I noticed the T300RS is on sale today (1 day) at frys.com with code for $250.

Standard pedal kit. Free shipping. No tax to some states.

If you want this and need a code you can have mine. PM asap

Drastic

So I finally got to check out the drivehub on my TX wheel on PS4Pro last night and it works great, very happy with the purchase.

I was in a hurry to check it out and didn't update the firmware at first, which gave me plain spring simulated ffb with no feel. A quick and easy fw update rectified that.

Recommended.

So I finally got to check out the drivehub on my TX wheel on PS4Pro last night and it works great, very happy with the purchase.

I was in a hurry to check it out and didn't update the firmware at first, which gave me plain spring simulated ffb with no feel. A quick and easy fw update rectified that.

Recommended.

Nice.

Wish someone made something similar for the Xbox 360 :(

Holy shit, just heard about this drivehub thing. So if I buy a wheel for my Xbox, it will work on my PS4 with this as well? Can I still mess with in game FFB settings when using the adapter to play on a different console?

Drastic

Holy shit, just heard about this drivehub thing. So if I buy a wheel for my Xbox, it will work on my PS4 with this as well? Can I still mess with in game FFB settings when using the adapter to play on a different console?

Yep. Just check the wheel compatibility list before buying.

Dave_6

Well I emailed the Drivehub folks over the weekend but still no answer. I've seen a poster in the GT Sport thread say he is using a direct drive wheel with his PS4 with something called GIMX. Is that another product similar to the Drivehub?

Edit: Saw the couple posts above. Is it something I have to build myself?

First I've heard of the Drive Hub as well. Looks like code GTPLANET10 saves 10% on your order. Pretty pricey at $81 plus shipping after the code, but I sure would like to use my T500RS on Forza games.

ruttyboy

GIMX offers more flexibility and is being improved more rapidly than DRIVE CLUB. I know Matlo for a long time and he is a great guy! He is on the verge of releasing version 7.0 which will offer major improvements to the software. I prefer it since I'm using a DD wheel which aren't natively supported on home consoles. In fact my PS4 arrived late last night so I will be attempting to use my Bodnar wheel on the PS4 for the first time ever and hopefully get GTSport running TODAY!!!!!!

Keep in mind it's already been working flawlessly for me on PS3 with GT6 and even Ridge Racer 7. A buddy of mine has an Accuforce DD wheel and has been using it on his PS4 to play GT Sport demo via GIMX and it's been working perfectly for him. Strong and detailed FFb!

isamu, if you know Matlo can you pass on my huge thanks? I got the adaptor I bought from the official shop in two days from France to the UK, set it up in minutes and was playing GT Sport with my G27, working through the licence test just like the old days :D

I thought I would never be able to play GT Sport because I refused to junk my G27 just because Sony are greedy so I'm over the moon!

Well I emailed the Drivehub folks over the weekend but still no answer. I've seen a poster in the GT Sport thread say he is using a direct drive wheel with his PS4 with something called GIMX. Is that another product similar to the Drivehub?

isamu can probably answer better than I, but GIMX is a PC program that uses an adapter (that you can build yourself, but for only £30, just buy one from the shop as above, the build quality is fantastic*, far better than I could do myself) to translate instructions from one device to another. For instance it takes the inputs from my G27 and outputs them to the PS4 as if it was a G29 giving the instructions.

As I understand it the Drivehub thing is standalone (i.e. you don't need to chain it through a PC), but it's much more expensive and doesn't seem as flexible.

EDIT: *Mine even came with a fancy braided USB cable!

Dave_6

Thanks for the info! So if I already play racing sims on my PC, I pretty much just leave everything as is (wheel and pedals plugged into the PC) and plug the adapter between my PC and the PS4? I was wondering how multiple devices would work since I currently use a G27 along with Fanatec pedals.

ruttyboy

Thanks for the info! So if I already play racing sims on my PC, I pretty much just leave everything as is (wheel and pedals plugged into the PC) and plug the adapter between my PC and the PS4? I was wondering how multiple devices would work since I currently use a G27 along with Fanatec pedals.

Yeah exactly. I'm in the same position, I had my G27 plugged into my PC and TV upstairs, brought my PS4 up there too, adapter into the PC, lead from adapter into the PS4, no problem. The only other hardware you need is a PS4 controller USB'd into the PC to provide the authentication (you can still use the controller as normal though, just needs to be connected with the wire).

As for the pedal thing, there's loads of customisation possible with it, (check out the wiki), and reading the features list I don't think it would be a problem.

isamu

OMFG HOLY MOTHER OF MARY IN HEAVEN I CANT BELIEVE IT WTF WHERE ARE MY SEDATIVES AAAAHHH

Dave 6....everything rutboy said is correct. You don't have to build the adapter yourself like in the old days. Matlo sells them already assembled and ready to go. The software has come a long way. Before you needed to hunt down and install the proper version of USBDK_lib and a couple other funky flashing programs, but matlo has now included all these tools into GIMX.

Dave, I can tell you that GIMX is the real deal. Hats off to anyone who uses DriveHub because no doubt it *IS* more plug and play out of the box, but GIMX offers an ABSURD amount of flexibility and compatibility over DH.

Yes I am using not only my Bodnar Direct Drive wheel, but also a Fanatec CSS H-Pattern Shifter, a sequential gear shifter from Quaife Engineering, a Derek Spear Designs button box, and a set of HPP PRX pedals. None of these pieces of hardware can currently be used on the PS4 even with Drive Hub. With GIMX, I have all of them connected to a little throwaway laptop I grabbed for about $50, and I use that as my controller "hub" to the PS4.

I have every single button and axis mapped exactly where I want them. If I don't like where GT Sport placed my paddle shifter functions, I can map it to something else. I can even navigate the menus in GT Sport using my Button Box which is pretty cool. Matlo also recently added the ability to adjust the FFB "constant" "spring" and "damper" effects of your wheel independently of the game. Many people are complaining about the force feedback in their wheels being way too strong in GT Sport. With GIMX this is a non-issue since you can turn the strength down yourself and on the fly! You can also adjust the sensitivity of your steering or brake axis!

There's simply no end to the customization GIMX offers. All this is because you're running your hardware through a software program and then to your console, unlike DH where it's just straight to the console plug and play style.

Anyway, you guys should get the guys currently posting in the *Forza FFB thread* to come over here so they can see this. Many of them are under the impression their Direct Drive wheels are useless with Forza 7 when that's simply not the case. With GIMX they will be able to trick Windows 10 into thinking their DD wheels are G27s and will then be fully compatible with Forza.

Also, Matlo is a great guy. Don't be afraid to ask him any questions you have. There is a troubleshooting and support forum specifically for that purpose:

https://gimx.fr/forum/viewforum.php?f=5

Crash331

I'm just now hearing about DriveHub. What benefits would I get over a CronusMax Plus in wheel mode? The CronusMax is kinda finicky with having to use a HUB and an unpaired DS4, does the hub solve that?

Dave_6

Thanks for the very informative post isamu! Pretty much sold me on it! I still have my old regular PS4 too that isn't being used (Pro is in the living room) so that makes it easier to set it up with my PC setup.

NateGrigs

I'm just now hearing about DriveHub. What benefits would I get over a CronusMax Plus in wheel mode? The CronusMax is kinda finicky with having to use a HUB and an unpaired DS4, does the hub solve that?

Not sure what a hub is, but you just plug a controller and wheel into the drivehub, and plug the drivehub into the console. (sounds like the drivehub functions as the hub)

Crash331

Not sure what a hub is, but you just plug a controller and wheel into the drivehub, and plug the drivehub into the console. (sounds like the drivehub functions as the hub)

Just a USB hub. I have no idea why I capitalized it, maybe that's why it was confusing.

NateGrigs

Just a USB hub. I have no idea why I capitalized it, maybe that's why it was confusing.

Sorry it was confusing because I'm not tech savvy nor familiar with how cronosmax works

I think the difference is that the drivehub doesn't need to be plugged into a computer (except to update the firmware)

Top Bottom