• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL Off-Season 2015 |OT| With the first pick the LA Kings are proud to select...

Parch

Yakupov is his own worst enemy. He would try to dangle through the whole team and the opposition D would flatten him and laugh, saying "who does this kid think he is?"
Then there's the backchecking. Which was non-existent. No matter how much he was told, he'd float around center ice and then wonder why his +/- was so horrid. He was clearly too immature to be playing the NHL. He should have spent another year in the minors. Or two.

You can throw away his first two years as time that should have been further spent growing up in the minors. But now he's learning. Not only is he being more defensively responsible, he's learning how to get into the passing and shooting lanes instead of just standing there. He's got a great one time shot. Still plenty of potential in the guy. Based on his throw away years he doesn't have much trade value, so Oilers will just keep him.

Same for the others. Stay the course is taking a helluva lot longer than planned, but the problem is not with the youngsters. It's the moronic management causing the lack of depth, especially on defence. I'm pretty sure that the stay the course plan isn't going to change with McDavid now on board. Vultures trying to take these poor, ruined players can keep dreaming. We'll just get a few more 80-point seasons from that horribly ruined Taylor Hall.

Parch

Diehard Habs fan with the in depth analysis on Edmonton's entire roster
A lot of western Canadian fans are either diehard Leaf or Habs fans despite city of origin. Just take notice of number of jerseys in the stands when those teams come to play.

Never understood the forever loyalty to those forever horrible Leafs, but the Montreal cups have kept the old Habs fans happy. The memories of those great Montreal dynasties will never fade.

Pochacco

asking dangerous questions
HEY GUYS WHAT'S UP
I don't think I've posted in here for over a year.

Any interesting happenings in the NHL lately that I should be aware of?
No? Nothing interesting aside from the playoffs eh? I guess that's why teams work hard both on and off the ice.
Alrighty. Well, as an Edmonton Oilers fan - probably one of the first on GAF - I guess I'll go back to sulking in the corner.

c1b72e20-e62a-11e4-ac05-7b12ae10444b_CC6fReVUIAATCPj.jpg

Oh. What do we have here. Whatcha doing with that GOLD ticket, Bill Daly? Surely, this must be a screen-grab from previous years. Perhaps the year we drafted Taylor Hall? Or Ryan Nugent Hopkins? Or jumped up a spot and grabbed Nail Yakupov (who we've done a shit job at developing btw)? But I don't remember the results being GOLD in those years.

That must mean. No. Surely not.
tim-murray-GM.jpg

Could it be?
0724191001422470435_filepicker.jpg

Really???
10_Murray-Patrick_slide.jpg

You're shitting me right?!
Murray_Tim_1314.jpg

I see.

Well then.
mactavish-credit-sault-star.jpg

Hahahahahhaa.
FUCK KARMA WE HAVE MCDAVID BITCHES
g13fl.gif

GSG Flash

Nobody ruins my family vacation but me...and maybe the boy!
Oilers have just completely ruined Yakupov. If he was playing in Tampa, he'd be what Kucherov is now.

They've ruined RNH too. This was his 4th season and he still has yet to crack 60 points.

If we compare him to other non-Edmonton 1st overall picks, Tavares almost hit 70 points in his 2nd season, Stamkos hit almost 100 points in his second season, Kane was over 70 points in his rookie season, and MacKinnon was over 60 points his rookie season(though he did regress a bit this season).

And Taylor Hall has been hampered by injury, which may also be the Oilers fault if they have poor conditioning strategies/coaching for their players.

Since Rick DiPietro in 2000, the only 1st overall picks that haven't met expectations, IMO, were Erik Johnson and the Oilers picks. I don't think it's a coincidence that all three Oilers 1st overall picks have been disappointments.

Pochacco

They've ruined RNH too. This was his 4th season and he still has yet to crack 60 points.

The Oilers have been a fucking joke, but RNH has not been ruined. He made big steps this year. He's a solid player. He's still getting better. He still has the potential to be a VERY good 2-way forward.

iLLmAtlc

I think the Oilers ruining players is overblown. Yakupov kinda stinks but even then he's only 20 points behind Galchenyuk's career totals in the same # of games. Nobody from 2012 is really lighting it up.

Expectations on RNH were probably too high. I can't think of a single superstar forward from the WHL from the last 20 years.

Hall is still beastly, and before this season you could argue he was already one of the best 1 or 2 LWs in the game.

Quick

Banned
Maybe, just maybe, this Good Canadian Kid will save the Oilers franchise, rather than the other Good Canadian Kids.

Razorskin

----- ------
I think the Oilers ruining players is overblown. Yakupov kinda stinks but even then he's only 20 points behind Galchenyuk's career totals in the same # of games. Nobody from 2012 is really lighting it up.

Expectations on RNH were probably too high. I can't think of a single superstar forward from the WHL from the last 20 years.

Hall is still beastly, and before this season you could argue he was already one of the best 1 or 2 LWs in the game.

Jarome Iginla!
drafted 20 years ago :lol

Pochacco

I think the Oilers ruining players is overblown.
I think so too. The Oilers' problem isn't so much about ruining prospects so much as it is about giving up on useful players too early (Andrew Cogliano, Jeff Petry, Devan Dubnyk, almost Anton Lander, etc.) and drafting the wrong players (Rob Schremp, Alex Plante, Tyler Pitlick, Mitch Moroz, almost all of their non-1st-rounders).

I feel like the Oilers won the lottery in all of the worst years, apart from this year of course. Hall over Seguin may be the biggest mistake, but Hall is no slouch.

iLLmAtlc

I feel like the Oilers won the lottery in all of the worst years, apart from this year of course. Hall over Seguin may be the biggest mistake, but Hall is no slouch.

a lil bit of this too. heard on the radio the other day that one argument why the oilers aren't necessarily the least deserving is because if they had tanked 3 years earlier, they would have gotten kane, stamkos and tavares. so they may have been a bit unlucky.

bit of a chicken/egg thing because what if it's the oilers fault they're messing everybody up lol.

Pochacco

Hall over Seguin may be the biggest mistake, but Hall is no slouch.
Eh. It seems to go back and forth every year or two. Hall started better. Seguin won the cup. Hall was a near PPG player. Seguin struggled and was dumped to another team. Hall became a top-3 LW. Seguin was just okay. Hall regressed a bit. Seguin became an Art Ross candidate (centering Jamie Benn mind you).

When healthy, they're both dynamic. Still too early to say who is better. Seguin has the edge now, plays a more important position, and has the Art Ross winner as his winger.

Personally, Tyler vs. Taylor is pretty boring to me when both of their teams are not even in the playoffs.

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
i just got home and I'm STILL upset the oilers won

literally the worst possible outcome

wow you guys see the article speculating that Eichel might not declare for the NHL?

the quotes doesn't show someone who's too pumped to go. or maybe he's just being diplomatic given the setting.

http://thehockeywriters.com/is-jack-eichel-returning-to-bu/

They played the whole conference call with the 4 players on the radio here, they all just gave the same non-answers about every question.

"It's so far away, anything can happen, nothing is set in stone, I've just been focusing on playing hockey, I'd be honored to be drafted by anyone." etc.

Tabris

The Oilers have been a fucking joke, but RNH has not been ruined. He made big steps this year. He's a solid player. He's still getting better. He still has the potential to be a VERY good 2-way forward.

Compare RNH to the non-EDM 1st overall round picks on their 4th year:

John Tavares - 47pts in 48 games (lockout season)
Steven Stamkos - 97pts in 82 games
Patrick Kane - 73pts in 73 games.

Then there's Eric Johnson, then before that I won't even bother since it's Sid and Ovi.

RNH is the biggest 1st overall bust since Eric Johnson. Yakupov is an even bigger bust than RNH.

EDIT - Just saw GSG Flash posted the same thing, my bad.

Socreges

Banned
:(

I drowned my sorrows in the worst possible way

Also I just got home and my dog is barking at lambs in Wet Hot American Summer. Truly the worst possible weekend

Curufinwe

I agree. 56 points in 76 games is not bad at all considering he faces the hardest competition on the Oilers and does it with a pretty awful defense behind him.

Samyy

I strongly believe in taking Marner over Hanifin for basically the reasons Corey Pronman outlined in his article (behind a paywall). Basically forwards have historically been much easier to project at the NHL level than defense (and obviously goalies) and forwards have a much bigger team impact than defensemen do:

1FaEHqQ.png

I'm pretty sure Dubas is aware of this then

zroid

Banned
I strongly believe in taking Marner over Hanifin for basically the reasons Corey Pronman outlined in his article (behind a paywall). Basically forwards have historically been much easier to project at the NHL level than defense (and obviously goalies) and forwards have a much bigger team impact than defensemen do:

1FaEHqQ.png

Yeah I saw that, and I buy it

and like I said, the Leafs already have good young D in the system. They are severely lacking on forward talent with NHL upside. not that I don't think they should take the BPA, but in this case it might be too close to call anyway.

Samyy

Yeah I saw that, and I buy it

and like I said, the Leafs already have good young D in the system. They are severely lacking on forward talent with NHL upside. not that I don't think they should take the BPA, but in this case it might be too close to call anyway.

Im 100% sure from a purely talent perspective Marner would be the third behind McDvaid and Eichel.

Also apparently at Don Maloney's year end press conference he singled out Marner at the three spot, mentioned there were a lot of good players available but specifically dropped Marners name :/

Im 100% sure from a purely talent perspective Marner would be the third behind McDvaid and Eichel.

Plus, like I said before, Arizona already has his juniors linemates in Domi and Dvorak. Not only would this be a great pick based on talent alone, but when you factor in that they already have two guys he is extremely comfortable with, playing together in the AHL or NHL will give them a slight chemistry advantage, IMO.

Granted, Domi is eligible for the AHL next season, Dvorak the season after, and Marner the year after that, but there will probably be some overlap for these guys at that level. Not to mention Dvorak and Marner playing in junior next year.

I don't know, maybe I'm looking at it too hard saying that matters more than it really does, but to me that part especially makes me think they will take Marner.

zroid

Banned
Also apparently at Don Maloney's year end press conference he singled out Marner at the three spot, mentioned there were a lot of good players available but specifically dropped Marners name :/

interesting... well whatever, either Marner or Strome is good with me! I'd have been just a tad disappointed if we dropped to 5th and had to take Hanifin. Not exactly a bad consolation prize of course.

zedge

A lot of western Canadian fans are either diehard Leaf or Habs fans despite city of origin. Just take notice of number of jerseys in the stands when those teams come to play.
Most of them are from Toronto, Montreal or other parts of eastern Canada. Probably half the population of Alberta are not even from there. Even those that have live here for decades still cheer for the leafs or other teams. A lot cheer for the local team at any other game. So many Newfoundlanders too who are almost all leafs fans. Although I was born in Montreal but grew up here so hockey has alway been the Flames for me.

Top Bottom