• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL Off-Season 2015 |OT| With the first pick the LA Kings are proud to select...

Represent.

Represent(ative) of bad opinions
Sick to my stomach that edmonton gets mcdavid. Jesus Christ.

Leafs will pick Hanifin now. Miss out on Strome, who was the big 1C they've been looking for for like a decade. Fuck.

Tabris

Terrible that McDavid is going into Edmonton. How many first overalls have they ruined so far?

Oilers culture had a direct impact on the following players:

- Sam Gagner (6th overall) - Disappointing career
- Magnus Paarjavi (10th overall) - Isn't even in the NHL
- Ryan Nugent-Hopkins (1st overall) - Medicore for a 1st overall
- Nail Yakupov (1st overall) - Disappointing career so far. Needed a bridged contract because of risk of going backwards.

Only successful one is Taylor Hall, but his career hasn't come to fruition due to injuries, which you have to wonder if he would have as much on another team with a different culture. Maybe like the BOS wolf pack culture, or a skill / possession game only like VAN.

RBH

Fuck Arizona. They shouldnt even be there so I dont want them getting good players.
As a Thrashers fan who's still bitter about Bettman's preferential treatment for the Coyotes, I approve of this post!

5SGWEbM.gif

Samyy

Sick to my stomach that edmonton gets mcdavid. Jesus Christ.

Leafs will pick Hanafin now. Missed out on Strome. Who was the big 1C they've been looking for for like a decade. Fuck.

A ton of great centres have been picked out of the first round top 5, Getzlaf, Kopitar, Giroux, Carter, Krejci, Bergeron, O'Rielly, Statsny

Yeah I get that. I'm just saying that when a guy's plan is to stack the blue line, getting a guy who's better than anybody he's brought in so far (Faulk was one of Rutherford's blind dart throws that actually amounted to something) is hardly the worst thing for them.

If Strome or Marner is available for them (particularly Strome, who seems like the "safer" guy), I think they'll take him and be happy about it.

Oh for sure. Agreed on all points.

I know you guys make fun of Kings fans showing up for the playoffs but there are a shit load of Ranger fans in the playoffs thread that haven't posted since jazz hands happened.

Razorskin

----- ------
I know you guys make fun of Kings fans showing up for the playoffs but there are a shit load of Ranger fans in the playoffs thread that haven't posted since jazz hands happened.

That would be good ammunition for Pens fans to use, but they too only show up for the playoffs.

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
What's the scouting report on Hanifan? I haven't paid much attention to this draft, but picking D men that high up seems really risky.

That would be good ammunition for Pens fans to use, but they too only show up for the playoffs.
Ether

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
What's the scouting report on Hanifan? I haven't paid much attention to this draft, but picking D men that high up seems really risky.

Ether

"There's not a huge gap between McDavid or Eichel and Hanifin but there is, to start the season anyway, a gap between those top three and everyone else," said one head scout of an NHL team. "(Hanifin) is at a disadvantage simply because he's a defenceman and the other two guys are centres. But (Hanifin) could be Scott Niedermayer. He skates like him."

http://www.tsn.ca/mckenzie-hockey-fans-will-soon-know-the-name-hanifin-1.88237

my draft wish list:

JVR for NJD 1st rounder
Kessel (+?) for Florida 1st rounder and huberdeau
Phaneuf (+ for first) for Mantha + dump/1st
Bernier and Gardiner + for Draisatl

become team of blue chippers

YOU ARE NOT GETTING MANTHA!!!

Anyways at least this draft made me smile with laughter after a typical Detroit afternoon game.

Red_Man

Amazing skater, great first pass, so its not like hes a stay at home type.
Mhmm, I haven't watched him so I can't make any judgement but I'm so hesitant towards taking D that high unless their game is as mature as say a guy like Seth Jones was when he was drafted. When you look at the best D in the league, most of them were late to second round picks and not top 5 picks. Leafs would really go with him over Marner even with Rielly?

Parch

Terrible that McDavid is going into Edmonton. How many first overalls have they ruined so far?
None.

-Do you think Taylor Hall is ruined? He's considered one of the best LW in the league.
-Nuge spent a year with a bad shoulder. He's fine now, and I still think he's the best player from that draft.
-Yakupov definitely needed another year in the minors. He wasn't mature enough to play in the NHL, but this last season he started to show the skills that made him first overall. It is WAAAY too early to consider him ruined.

Samyy

Mhmm, I haven't watched him so I can't make any judgement but I'm so hesitant towards taking D that high unless their game is as mature as say a guy like Seth Jones was when he was drafted. When you look at the best D in the league, most of them were late to second round picks and not top 5 picks. Leafs would really go with him over Marner even with Rielly?

I'm not going to actually pretend like I think Rielly is even close to being a sure fire first pairing D because he is still awful at preventing shots against, our D prospects are far from a sure thing. We really need help anywhere.

I actually hope we don't take Hanifin for the kids sake though, media/psycho crazy fans will absolutely hate on him as another American in TO.

Also same thing with Marner, you can already here on the radio from media types saying that don't want another "undersized zippy forward" so they'll rip him too I'm sure. The funny thing is I think Strome is actually the least skilled of the three.

Red_Man

Lol.

I'm not going to actually pretend like I think Rielly is even close to being a sure fire first pairing D because he is still awful at preventing shots against, our D prospects are far from a sure thing. We really need help anywhere.

I actually hope we don't take Hanifin for the kids sake though, media/psycho crazy fans will absolutely hate on him as another American in TO.
I guess so, Rielly looks like he's on the right path though. Just find it surprising they might take another D with a top pick when they have a chance at a great C, their biggest weakness.

I'm getting texts (from a Habs fan) saying that McDavid is sounding anything but enthused about going to the Oilers.

What's going on?

Samyy

Lol.

I guess so, Rielly looks like he's on the right path though. Just find it surprising they might take another D with a top pick when they have a chance at a great C, their biggest weakness.

Meh, the scouts have to find a centre somewhere.
Perhaps they'll swing another 1st now that the lottery is over and get a Barzal/Connor.

I'm getting texts (from a Habs fan) saying that McDavid is sounding anything but enthused about going to the Oilers.

What's going on?

He looked like he was walking to his death on the lottery show after the Oilers won.

Red_Man

Meh, the scouts have to find a centre somewhere.
It's becoming more and more clear that if you want a top center you have to get one through the draft. That or pull off a fleecing like Dallas did with Boston which almost never happens.

Samyy

It's becoming more and more clear that if you want a top center you have to get one through the draft. That or pull off a fleecing like Dallas did with Boston which almost never happens.

Right but what can you do? If Stromes not there he isn't there. Nothing you can do about it.
You hope you can pull a center with the later first or get one next year.

Red_Man

Right but what can you do? If Stromes not there he isn't there. Nothing you can do about it.
Marner is a C is he not? Possibly trade down if you know a team below really wants Hanifan.

Parch

Footage of the Draft Lottery at a bar in Buffalo:
I feel kinda bad for Buffalo. They go full tank and get all hyped for McDavid, only to have the luck of the draw ruin those hopes. Their GM was really showing his disappointment, but Eichel is more than a decent fallback choice. They need to move on and get hyped about this guy because he's pretty damn good too.

Samyy

Marner is a C is he not? Possibly trade down if you know a team below really wants Hanifan.

Marner was a winger all year until the playoffs.

Nylander is a center as well but they stuck him on the wing so I don't know where they would put Marner, they seem similar.

Yawnier

Banned

I really wouldn't mind trading JVR and/or Kessel to get a top 10 - 15 pick from someone like NJ, or Florida. I just don't see either of those wingers fitting into the leafs rebuilding timeline esp. for Kessel as he turns 28 this year, and there is only 3 years left on JVR's great contract which will be wasted playing on an awful leafs team. He'll probably want 6 or 7 million (I'm thinking at least at least Bobby Ryan money) for his next contract unless his production completely falls of a cliff or something

None.

-Do you think Taylor Hall is ruined? He's considered one of the best LW in the league.
-Nuge spent a year with a bad shoulder. He's fine now, and I still think he's the best player from that draft.
-Yakupov definitely needed another year in the minors. He wasn't mature enough to play in the NHL, but this last season he started to show the skills that made him first overall. It is WAAAY too early to consider him ruined.

Man camman

All these players would be much better off in other organizations.

Until the diarrhea that is the oilers management leaves, that team is going no where. Sad to see players like Yakupov get fucked over in that black hole.

Samyy

I really wouldn't mind trading JVR and/or Kessel to get a top 10 - 15 pick from someone like NJ, or Florida. I just don't see either of those wingers fitting into the leafs rebuilding timeline esp. for Kessel as he turns 28 this year, and there is only 3 years left on JVR's great contract which will be wasted playing on an awful leafs team. He'll probably want 6 or 7 million (I'm thinking at least at least Bobby Ryan money) for his next contract unless his production completely falls of a cliff or something

The Devils pick 7th and Lou said they'd look to move it for offensive help, I think they could go for JVR.

lamaroo

Unconfirmed Member
The good news is that the same management is in control of the Oilers, so even with McDavid they still don't know what they're doing.

Need to fleece them for Yakupov now. They could use a hard hitting defenseman like Emelin.

Yawnier

Banned
The Devils pick 7th and Lou said they'd look to move it for offensive help, I think they could go for JVR.

I would do that, I just don't know if Lou would. They need a lot more than a first line left winger to be competing for a playoff spot again, with one of the worst prospect pools in the league

Will also be interesting if the flyers put their pick on the table with what their 100 year old owner, Snider has said lately.

Top Bottom