• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL Off-Season 2017 |OT| We’ve Been Here Since October

Solo

Here's some positivity for Red: I'm beyond excited to see AGally and Drouin hopefully on the same line and both on the first PP unit.

But (here comes the pessimism), I can picture Clod putting them on different lines and PP units to try to "spread" the offense. But that would be a mistake. Put 27 and 92 together and watch the magic.

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
Feel like this is the Leafs' Luke Glendening contract, although Hymen is probably the better player. I'm always uncomfortable when these bottom 6 players, especially wingers, are given 4 or 5 year long contracts.

the big reason they are doing this is expectations he will outperform expectations eventually

we need to suppress contracts so we need them to be as long as possible

DopeyFish

the more i look at the stats... why hasn't anyone signed jagr yet?

his advanced stats are absolutely ridiculous

>7.4% in CFrel and FFrel at 5v5 close?! WTF

> 14% in CFrel and FFrel in all situations?! HOW

and this:

@WheatNOil

Top TOI w/ Jagr

Corsi WITH Jagr / AWAY from Jagr
Barkov: 57% / 41%
Yandle: 53.6% / 48.8%
Ekblad: 56.7% / 49.3%
Huberdeau: 55.6% / 47.1%

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Here's some positivity for Red: I'm beyond excited to see AGally and Drouin hopefully on the same line and both on the first PP unit.

But (here comes the pessimism), I can picture Clod putting them on different lines and PP units to try to "spread" the offense. But that would be a mistake. Put 27 and 92 together and watch the magic.
I assume they'll be split up as well, but I trust whatever line changes Julien decides to make.

the more i look at the stats... why hasn't anyone signed jagr yet?

his advanced stats are absolutely ridiculous

>7.4% in CFrel and FFrel at 5v5 close?! WTF

> 14% in CFrel and FFrel in all situations?! HOW
Its almost like those stats don't tell the whole picture 🤔

DopeyFish

I assume they'll be split up as well, but I trust whatever line changes Julien decides to make.

Its almost like those stats don't tell the whole picture ��

.917 oisv%

he isn't a defensive disaster... about average. see marchessault with his shiny 889 oisv oof

good oish%

firmly in the top 5 of the panthers in p60

high TOI

not too skewed zone starts

SA60 RelTM is near top of team

CF/FF leading, trailing... near tops

also the only source for QoC numbers I have doesn't have this seasons data... but last season he was playing the 3rd hardest matchups on the team (4th relqoc)

like... i haven't seen much that takes away from him yet

Maybe you should sign jagr?

Radulov at 5v5 last year: 8 goals and 23 assists in 1113 minutes.

Jagr at 5v5 last year: 8 goals and 25 assists in 1129 minutes.

Samyy

I think some of this complaining is getting a little unreasonable, Marleau contract isn't great but it's only 3 years, Hyman is getting paid essentially around what he deserves.

Cake Boss

Banned
.917 oisv%

he isn't a defensive disaster... about average. see marchessault with his shiny 889 oisv oof

good oish%

high TOI

also the only source for QoC numbers I have doesn't have this seasons data... but last season he was playing the 3rd hardest matchups on the team (4th relqoc)

tenor.gif

Quick

Banned
Is there such a statistic that's just way too narrow and specific to truly count?

Not shitting on Dopey's assessment of Jagr, but I'm legit curious of any stat being tracked that falls into that category.

I may be getting this wrong, but there was that stat that says Marincin is "good" or "decent" because he's not the focus of highlight videos where a goal is scored against him. That probably falls into that.

Also, can someone explain what Dopey just posted.

Is there such a statistic that's just way too narrow and specific to truly count?

Not shitting on Dopey's assessment of Jagr, but I'm legit curious of any stat being tracked that falls into that category.

I may be getting this wrong, but there was that stat that says Marincin is "good" or "decent" because he's not the focus of highlight videos where a goal is scored against him. That probably falls into that.

I need a chart or else I can't explain it.

Parch

UFAs get paid. Usually overpaid.
I've always thought a lot of RFAs get overpaid as well but arbitration awards have gotten very generous as well.
If a player has proven production then that's fine, but potential production get some pretty sweet contracts. When they fail to deliver then those become the bad, cap killing contracts.
There should be more bargain contracts with RFAs in the NHL. They prove themselves then they'll get paid when they reach UFA.

zroid

Banned
i won't believe that Jagr hasn't gotten offers (despite his self deprecating tweets), he must just be really picky about where he wants to go. Probably holding out for one of those few teams, and if they never call him he'll just go wherever.

he's still doing everything you could want from a middle six forward, drives play and scores quite a bit.

personally i'm surprised he hasn't already signed with Vegas, they seem like a perfect match?

imBask

Banned

i'm pretty sure his post is just a cryptic code that is part of the No Man's Sky ARG

Parch

How much does Jagr want? If he's happy with a couple mil then there's probably a few teams interested. At least those with some extra cap. If he's expecting 5 again he might as well hang 'em up.

The HF dopes are convinced that the Oilers are shopping for a vet winger so they mention Jagr or Iginla. I highly doubt that is going to happen.

Marvie_3

Banned

Why bother?

yyzjohn

Banned
I think some of this complaining is getting a little unreasonable, Marleau contract isn't great but it's only 3 years, Hyman is getting paid essentially around what he deserves.

Read a Mirtle article yesterday where he posted what some dude projected for Hyman and Brown and it was 2.14 and 2.78. So the Hyman contract is pretty much in line there considering they bought 2 UFA years.

zroid

Banned
Upon further reflection, I can live with the contract. there's always the chance that Hyman actually starts cashing in on those chances. Just look at Grabner. sh% is volatile and we only have a year and a bit of data on Hyman so maybe he isn't as useless as he looked last season. maybe

i suppose it's preferable to bet on that upside than to not, considering the cap hit isn't going to kill you either way

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
.917 oisv%

good oish%

high TOI

-rubs eyes-

Merguson

Banned
My concern about the Hyman signing is whether its pushing good players out of the lineup.

Hell, Matt Martin is already doing that.

I don't see a single spot for Leivo or Kapanen in the lineup (with a signed Connor Brown presumably) except for injuries. To me, that's not optimal. If Komarov was on his way out to make room for Kapanen/Leivo that would be better but somehow I doubt this.

zroid

Banned
My concern about the Hyman signing is whether its pushing good players out of the lineup.

Hell, Matt Martin is already doing that.

I don't see a single spot for Leivo or Kapanen in the lineup (with a signed Connor Brown presumably) except for injuries. To me, that's not optimal. If Komarov was on his way out to make room for Kapanen/Leivo that would be better but somehow I doubt this.

i will never say that i'm hoping for Martin to get injured

but i won't say i'm not hoping for it either

With the McDavid contract, how much do you think Tavares signs for? Under $10M would be a huge win.

The Karlsson contract in 2019 will be a doozy.

The 2018 UFA class is pretty mediocre, but the 2019 one looks fun. Doughty, Bob, Couture, Duchene, Pavelski, Seguin.

With the McDavid contract, how much do you think Tavares signs for? Under $10M would be a huge win.

The Karlsson contract in 2019 will be a doozy.

The 2018 UFA class is pretty mediocre, but the 2019 one looks fun. Doughty, Bob, Couture, Duchene, Pavelski, Seguin.

Tavares is an 8 million per max

imBask

Banned
Have a feeling Paul Byron is gonna wait to see how well he plays next season.

With how badly he destroyed the worlds, he could be hitting 100 points next season

Solo

These aren't the lines I'd choose, but based on last year this is how I see Julien lining the team up to start the season:

Pacioretty-Danault-Drouin
Lehkonen-Galchenyuk-Gallagher
Byron-Plekanec-Hemsky
Hudon-Mitchell-Shaw

PP1 (should be pretty damn good):

Pacioretty-Galchenyuk-Drouin
Weber-Petry

PP2:

Lehkonen-Plekanec-Gallagher
Alzner-Jerabek

These aren't the lines I'd choose, but based on last year this is how I see Julien lining the team up to start the season:

Pacioretty-Danault-Drouin
Lehkonen-Galchenyuk-Gallagher
Byron-Plekanec-Hemsky
Hudon-Mitchell-Shaw

PP1 (should be pretty damn good):

Pacioretty-Galchenyuk-Drouin
Weber-Petry

PP2:

Lehkonen-Plekanec-Gallagher
Alzner-Jerabek

Oooooooo that power play

Fuck