• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL Off-Season 2017 |OT| We’ve Been Here Since October

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
What the fuck is Markov waiting for?

UNITE THEM CLOD
The idea of Drouin feeding Weber / AGally on the PP......

tumblr_inline_nuxuypNQDT1romugn_400.gif

Syrinx

Based on nothing more than the current roster, Canes' opening day day lineup should look a little like:

Skinner-Rask-Williams
Teravainen-Lindholm-Aho
McGinn-Staal-Stempniak
Nordstrom-Ryan-Kruger

Slavin-Faulk
TVR-Pesce
Hanifin-Dahlbeck

Darling

Francis' priority the rest of this offseason should be getting our young defensemen signed to bridge and long-term deals, because if the defense kicks ass next season and Slavin, Pesce, TVR, Hanifin, and Dahlbeck all become RFA's afterwards, he's pretty fucked.

Wereroku

Based on nothing more than the current roster, Canes' opening day day lineup should look a little like:

Skinner-Rask-Williams
Teravainen-Lindholm-Aho
McGinn-Staal-Stempniak
Nordstrom-Ryan-Kruger

Slavin-Faulk
TVR-Pesce
Hanifin-Dahlbeck

Darling

Francis' priority the rest of this offseason should be getting our young defensemen signed to bridge and long-term deals, because if the defense kicks ass next season and Slavin, Pesce, TVR, Hanifin, and Dahlbeck all become RFA's afterwards, he's pretty fucked.

I still wish we had gotten a better center signed but sometimes that just not in the cards. I think there will be more energy to the team this year no matter how far they go.

We posting expected lineups? Wild are pretty much set aside from signing two fourth liners. Hopefully Cullen is one of them.

Granlund - Koivu - Zucker
Parise - Staal - Nino
Ennis - Eriksson Ek - Coyle
Foligno - ______ - Stewart
_______

Suter - Spurgeon
Brodin - Dumba
Olofsson - Quincey
Reilly

Dubnyk
Stalock

Forwards...Hopefully the younger guys continue to improve. Another 65+ point season from Granlund would be great. If Coyle could figure out how to be more consistent he could be a 30+30 guy. Nino/Zucker/Parise should all be 25+ scorers if they are healthy. Ennis sucks. Hate that trade. Ek probably isn't ready for full time NHL duty yet but Fletcher won't send him to Iowa like he should. At least the fourth line should be good. If they get a good center between them, that is.

Defense is not as good as last year but it will give good opportunities to young guys. Brodin and Dumba have played together a lot but never for a long consistent stretch- in theory their playstyles should compliment each other perfectly but it hasn't worked out yet. Suter and Spurgeon are about as steady as they come - easily a top 5 pair in the league.

If Stalock plays well enough to get 30+ games it would be ideal. Dubnyk has just been overworked the last two years because Kuemper was incredibly terrible. He is a top 5 goalie at the top of his game but hasn't been able to do that because he plays 65 games a year. Way too many.

I doubt they get to the highs they had last year but hopefully they become more consistent.

calder

Yo this season 2 opening of 19-2 is fucking nuts.

This is the craziest cinematography of a TV show, I can't believe it's Canadian.

I was unaware of this show but I decided to give it a shot as CB recommendation is basically a guarantee.

So far so good on first episode, but man it's throwing me off that the hick cop is Wayne from Letterkenney. And if anyone grew up in small town Canada give Letterkenny a try, its dumb but really nails the milieu.

Cake Boss

Banned
I was unaware of this show but I decided to give it a shot as CB recommendation is basically a guarantee.

So far so good on first episode, but man it's throwing me off that the hick cop is Wayne from Letterkenney. And if anyone grew up in small town Canada give Letterkenny a try, its dumb but really nails the milieu.

Don't worry if the show gets too depressing.That's just Quebec made TV for you.

calder

Don't worry if the show gets too depressing.That's just Quebec made TV for you.

It's good, I'm liking it. The one annoying thing in the pilot is that one horribly written asshole cop who seemingly exists solely to say awful things. Insulting a fellow cop the day he gets back because his partner died? That seems... unlikely lol.

But you like this show because it tries to make Montreal look all gritty and shitty right? You can tell me.

Cake Boss

Banned
It's good, I'm liking it. The one annoying thing in the pilot is that one horribly written asshole cop who seemingly exists solely to say awful things. Insulting a fellow cop the day he gets back because his partner died? That seems... unlikely lol.

But you like this show because it tries to make Montreal look all gritty and shitty right? You can tell me.

Lol yeah that's actually one of the reasons I seem to enjoy it, they show parts of the city I recognize and been to which I can't say much for other shows. It's definitely ridiculous on the plot lines tho, they make the city seem like a hell hole with all this crazy ass violence being depicted.

MTL fucking amazing city tho, great memories there.👍

Too bad their hockey team is a bunch of saggy cucumber turds tho.

jello44

Chie is the worst waifu
I'm at 92 hours in Persona 5.

Does this game ever end or what???

Hah, it really really doesn't.

What month are you in and I can give you a quick guess.

Took me about 220+ for the platinum. But that was in game clock, so it was far less, breaks/leaving the game on suspend.

Marvie_3

Banned
Miitomo told me its zroids bday

😁😁😁😁🎊🎊🎊🎊🎉🎉🎉🎉😁😁😁😁

Delryk

Jesus... damn quote...

On Kasperi Kapanen
Brooks Laich called Kappy, “one of the 10 fastest skaters in hockey.” He was talking about the NHL included in that when he came down and saw the way the kid skated. When he is motivated, when he is physical, when he’s engaged, this is a kid who is not just an NHL player but a good one. I think he’s going to surprise people next year.

Certainly not a bust.. still see him as a good 3rd liner that can fill 2nd line when injury comes.. anything more than that is a plus for me really. Key word in the quote is "when" though.

Cactus

Banned
Jesus... damn quote...

On Kasperi Kapanen

Certainly not a bust.. still see him as a good 3rd liner that can fill 2nd line when injury comes.. anything more than that is a plus for me really. Key word in the quote is "when" though.

I really hope they find space for him in the lineup.

yyzjohn

Banned
Jesus... damn quote...

On Kasperi Kapanen

He's turning 21 later this month, in what world are you a bust at that age?

Zach Hyman gets a limited NTC in the last two years of his deal.

Okay Lou its time to retire

rill gud kid, plays the right way, gud human bean.

I hope this guy learns to shoot and that 4.xxsh% isn't it if we have to keep him. Wasn't he considered a decent shooter in junior?

Are you dudes actually unhappy with what the Leafs are doing? Or is this just a reflexive response because we're so used to the team doing stupid, awful things.

OK that's it...Dopey get in here and tell us how Kapanen is gonna score 35 goals this year.

so a bit over half of what Laine will score? not buying it.

every Kapanen is a bust, you gotta bust a Kapanen. (i think i stole someone's joke and butchered it, oh well eat me).

Cactus

Banned
Are you dudes actually unhappy with what the Leafs are doing? Or is this just a reflexive response because we're so used to the team doing stupid, awful things.

Lou gave a NTC to a grinder, along with more term and salary than people were projecting. That's a little bit concerning. Yeah, he was arb. eligible, but he had no leverage. Only 28 points season playing next to one of the premier centres in the league.

It happened about an hour ago, but Kevin Klein's decided to retire.

Team Press Release (full release at the link)

New York Rangers defenseman Kevin Klein announced his retirement from the National Hockey League today, ending a career which included parts of 12 seasons in the league.

Klein, 32, skated in 627 career NHL games with the Rangers and Nashville Predators (2005-06 - 2016-17), registering 38 goals and 116 assists for 154 points, along with a plus-22 rating and 185 penalty minutes. He made his NHL debut as a member of the Predators on December 3, 2005 vs. Philadelphia, 10 days shy of his 21st birthday. Klein registered his first career NHL goal/point on January 26, 2007 at Chicago.

Solo

It just occurred to me that this season is the last of Plekanec in the CH and we've already maybe seen Markov's last game in the CH. That's certainly the end of an era. 1911 games between them.

Delryk

It just occurred to me that this season is the last of Plekanec in the CH and we've already maybe seen Markov's last game in the CH. That's certainly the end of an era. 1911 games between them.

Wouldn't be surprised if it's his last season in the NHL for Plekanec unless somehow he plays above average the whole year. Anyway, he'll be 35 so he's had a full career.

For Markov, this is my take on him... If he goes to another team, I'm thinking his season won't be that great. If he sticks with the Habs, he'll probably do good and have another year in him. Either way, i doubt he'll get 2 years anywhere ... especially with that cap. 5.5m-6mil this season, if the team has space (looks like Habs do right now) is fine. But i'm guessing all the GMs out there won't gamble with a 2nd year at that price

Lou gave a NTC to a grinder, along with more term and salary than people were projecting. That's a little bit concerning. Yeah, he was arb. eligible, but he had no leverage. Only 28 points season playing next to one of the premier centres in the league.

That's too harsh on Hyman. I'm not a big fan of him playing on the 1st line - but it's clear that he's an effective player that can move around the line-up as needed.

And, iirc, he was expected to get about 2.4ish in arb.

Cactus

Banned
That's too harsh on Hyman. I'm not a big fan of him playing on the 1st line - but it's clear that he's an effective player that can move around the line-up as needed.

And, iirc, he was expected to get about 2.4ish in arb.

Yeah, I've read some stuff that makes the deal look more positive for the team than I'm laying it out to be, but I still think the NTC was completely unnecessary.

Top Bottom