• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nin-Network Acct locked to system it was made on [Upd: Customer Service can't help]

cloudyy

You don't have all the information and are going off assumptions.

http://support.xbox.com/en-US/xbox-live/marketplace-and-purchasing/download-content

Read up on that. And be aware that Sony has a way of deactivating consoles as well. Which allows them to do something similar, if albeit in a different way.

I find this hard to believe. Sony's two platforms (Vita all games and PS3 more and more games) have day one digital releases.
It doesn't say anything about a broken 360 system that can't be used anymore, meaning you can't do the License Transfer.

This is my main complain, if tomorrow xbl ceases to exist your content will be lost and you have no guarantee that microsoft will free your games from DRM. On the other hand if Nintendo shuts down their retarded online you can still play your digital games forever, at least until your damn system breaks.

It's the exact same thing. Your content is tied to an Xbox.

cloudyy

You don't need access to the original purchase console, just the new one.
Meaning that the old one still has all the games forever available? I could basically sell a 360 with free digital games to my friends? Because that's what I'm getting at and I don't think it's true and the licenses are refreshed every now and then by requiring a login.

clashfan

It's the exact same thing. Your content is tied to an Xbox.

Partly true. DL content is tied to one xbox, which means anyone on that xbox can use that content. I can also login on another console and redownload that content and play it while still logged in. It does provide some flexibility...

stuminus3

WAIT a second. I'm too tired to catch up on all this. Basically: I build up a nice library of $60 games digitally. System gets stolen or broken. Entire library - gone forever? Am I understanding this right? Because my mind is blown if that's true. o_O

angelfly

WAIT a second. I'm too tired to catch up on all this. Basically: I build up a nice library of $60 games digitally. System gets stolen or broken. Entire library - gone forever? Am I understanding this right? Because my mind is blown if that's true. o_O

You understand correctly. It's possible they'll figure it out in the future but for the time being you're screwed if that happens.

hwy_61

Banned

That's right.

James Sawyer Ford

Gold Member
Wont buy a wii u until this issue is sorted out along with the gamepad battery life.

First adopters for this piece of hardware are getting screwed big time.

Boss Man

Yeah but the good news is that Vita doesn't play UMDs.

Partly true. DL content is tied to one xbox, which means anyone on that xbox can use that content. I can also login on another console and redownload that content and play it while still logged in. It does provide some flexibility...
I know how the 360 works, just talking about the situation where you can't connect to the internet. WiiU isn't any better than what the 360 does.

cloudyy

No, you have to call Nintendo and explain the situation (maybe some proof that your system was stolen) and give them the serial number of your new system and they will then activate your download list on the new console.

That's how it was done with the wii and 3DS. I have a hard time to believe that you won't be able to do the same with the wiiu.

hwy_61

Banned
No, you have to call Nintendo and explain the situation (maybe some proof that your system was stolen) and give them the serial number of your new system and they will then activate your download list this new console.

That's how it was done with the wii and 3DS. I have a hard time to believe that you won't be able to do the same with the wiiu.

Proof? Like what? A police report or something?

stuminus3

Holy crap. Wow. That's incredibly disappointing.

No, you have to call Nintendo and explain the situation (maybe some proof that your system was stolen) and give them the serial number of your new system and they will then activate your download list this new console.

But... that's really silly. o_O

angelfly

WRONG

They can't currently do anything for WiiU. Patrick Klepek already tried and was told there's nothing they can do.

cloudyy

Holy crap. Wow. That's incredibly disappointing.

But... that's really silly. o_O
I know it's stupid, still better than loosing everything though.

WRONG

They can't currently do anything for WiiU. Patrick Klepick already tried and was told there's nothing they can do.
Did you read my last part? I guess for now stay away from digital on the wiiu until Nintendo addresses the issue.

Cartman86

Banned
Meaning that the old one still has all the games forever available? I could basically sell a 360 with free digital games to my friends? Because that's what I'm getting at and I don't think it's true and the licenses are refreshed every now and then by requiring a login.

Ah okay I see your point now. I'm not sure. I just went around looking to if anyone else knows, but I see a lot of back and forths. Some say all that content still works unless you connect it to the network. Maybe Microsoft is taking a hit here assuming that losing the network ability isn't something someone would risk.

cloudyy

Ah okay I see your point now. I'm not sure. I just went around looking to if anyone else knows, but I see a lot of back and forths. Some say all that content still works unless you connect it to the network. Maybe Microsoft is taking a hit here assuming that losing the network ability isn't something someone would risk.
I hope this is the case because, like I said, if xbl is shut down there's a possibility to loose everything you bought.

Replicant

No, you have to call Nintendo and explain the situation (maybe some proof that your system was stolen) and give them the serial number of your new system and they will then activate your download list on the new console.

tumblr_ls2cymaq6O1qgxyxd.gif

I hope this is the case because, like I said, if xbl is shut down there's a possibility to loose everything you bought.

So now we've hit the point where people just make shit up about other consoles in some pathetic attempt to justify the WiiU's system.

If Live exploded tomorrow, you'd still have the license on your console for eternity.

Cartman86

Banned

I wouldn't be surprised if it's a Kindle type thing where there is a hidden timer in every game where after 10 years they no longer work. Any dev's know?

iammeiam

As far as I know, it just revokes the license on the old one the next time the old one phones home. I can't find anything definitive on it, but I had my old 360 sitting unplugged in a room for about a year. License transferred to a new one six months in. Booted up the old one offline to see if it was still functional and my old content all worked; I've also never heard of anyone having issues accessing content because they haven't connected to Live in a while, so I tend to believe that the console licenses are permanent unless revoked.

~Kinggi~

Banned
Epic fail on their digital distro service. If a machine breaks, which could be likely, not being able to recover your shit is laughable. Glorious digital distro future you all crave is hearrrrrr!

jts

...hate me...
Yeah, the battery life really bothers me. Its around three hours right?

:/

If that gets to be a problem, 20 bux or less will fix it, as the battery compartment has a lot of spare room for a bigger one.

Cartman86

Banned
As far as I know, it just revokes the license on the old one the next time the old one phones home. I can't find anything definitive on it, but I had my old 360 sitting unplugged in a room for about a year. License transferred to a new one six months in. Booted up the old one offline to see if it was still functional and my old content all worked; I've also never heard of anyone having issues accessing content because they haven't connected to Live in a while, so I tend to believe that the console licenses are permanent unless revoked.

lol I wonder if there is an entire website devoted to gaming this system.

So now we've hit the point where people just make shit up about other consoles in some pathetic attempt to justify the WiiU's system.

If Live exploded tomorrow, you'd still have the license on your console for eternity.
Yup. The 360's way of handling licences works really, really well. The only time you'd ever have an issue is if your old console died, you didn't go through the licence transfer procedure when you got your new machine, and you suddenly found yourself without internet access.

Pretty much a perfect storm of failure... which is very unlikely to happen (especially given how easy the licence transfer procedure is).

cloudyy

I don't see what's pathetic about a legitimate concern. It's not like digital has been a fantastic place with all the ridiculous situations it brought. ie kindle, psn outage and whatnot.

Anyway, thanks for everyone's responses.

I don't see what's pathetic about a legitimate concern. It's not like digital has been a fantastic place with all the ridiculous situations it brought. ie kindle, psn outage and whatnot.

Anyway, thanks for everyone's responses.

It's pathetic because your "concern" is a clear attempt to deflect criticism from Nintendo by speculating that MS is going to shut down XBL, even though XBL is incorporated directly into Win8 and the service will likely survive far, far longer than any existing X360, PS3, or WiiU hardware. Practically any worst-case scenario you can invent for XBL is equally plausible for NN, except some of those worst-case scenarios are actually the current reality on NN.

Eusis

I find this hard to believe. Sony's two platforms (Vita all games and PS3 more and more games) have day one digital releases.
Not only that, but Steam's actually fairly loose. I'd think the Xbox system would be more than sufficient, no need to keep people from ever playing their stuff on other Wii Us, not unless you can somehow create a magical indestructible teleporting-back-to-owner Wii U.

http://www.nintendo.com/consumer/systems/wiiu/en_na/account_your_account.jsp

Can I Log Into My Nintendo Network Account on a Different Console?
Answer:

-No, you cannot. A Nintendo Network Account can only be used on the console where it was created. In the future, you will be able to use your Nintendo Network Account with future Nintendo consoles and other devices, such as PC's.

-Currently, the Wii U supports up to 12 individual Nintendo Network ID's per console, which enables each member of the family to have his or her own unique identity on the system.

Geez, WTH! This is so backwards. It´s 2012 already. Get with the times Nintendo.
Nintendo doesn't want that, ergo it's locked to one system.

Is it anti-consumer? Yes. Is it in Nintendo's best interest? Also yes.
I don´t give a shit about corporate interest, neither should you, especially when the consumer get screwed.

PSN also limits you to 5 consoles that can use your PSN account, and none of them can be signed on at the same time. EVER. If you try to add your PSN account to a 6th, it will tell you know and have to use your 1-per-year authorization reset to clear your history of all consoles that have signed on.

So there's still limitations that I imagine these same people would be equally salty about, but it is a better alternative, yes.

However, the way NN is set up, it CAN move to a setup closer to PSN in the future.

EDIT: Also, I believe your downloads on PSN require you to be signed on at least once to authenticate them for use, but someone can correct me on that.

Either way, the comparison to XBL is a false comparison in totality until it offers the same features as PSN and NN.
False. Read up on the topic before posting.

You lot blame Nintendo but the truth is this is Giant Bomb's fault. We've been warned for years but you all ignored the signs and now you're paying the price. Always read the instruction booklet before setup or use of your system. It says it right on the box. There's no excuse.
Your defense about Nintendo's shitty anti consumer behavior is pathetic and tiring. Shame on you.

Margalis

Banned
WRONG
They can't currently do anything for WiiU. Patrick Klepek already tried and was told there's nothing they can do.

False.

Klepek asked them to transfer his NNID from one machine to another remotely. That is not something Nintendo supports as a policy, nor is it clear if the customer service people have a tool that lets them do that.

His console wasn't bricked. That's a different scenario. Nobody lost any digital content.

MarkusRJR

Wow this is so bad. It was pathetic back in 2006 and it's even more pathetic in 2012. For fuck's sake Nintendo, get with the times.

Durante

I am honestly amazed.

Not that "call customer service to transfer your account" wouldn't be a woefully inadequate solution for 2012 (or 2006 really), but I never expected not even being able to do that.

This is directly in line with what happened to me when my first Wii was stolen. I had a huge library of Virtual Console/WiiWare titles purchased on my console and was hopeful to getting them restored once I purchased a replacement Wii. I contacted Nintendo support, provided my previous system's serial number and other information, verifying that it was my console. Then they asked me to fax them a copy of the police report--a police report that was never filed, would cost money to obtain a copy of, is just a hassle in general. I have hundreds of dollars in software I purchased, and Nintendo won't side with me until they see a report with that Wii's serial number on it.

I really should just go ahead a file a police report years after the fact. It'd be nice to be able to get to access all those games again. I was really hoping the Wii System Transfer Utility would have been able to access your Club Nintendo account and pull your digital purchases from there, but it's all dealt locally. If I want to get my Wii Virtual Console and WiiWare games on my Wii U I have to file a police report, purchase a copy of it, fax it to Nintendo, give them my new Wii's serial number, redownload everything, then use the System Transfer Utility. What?

Top Bottom