• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nin-Network Acct locked to system it was made on [Upd: Customer Service can't help]

Nintendo don't know jack about online functionality in a gaming console, so they've simplified everything and locked it down for fear of pirates the unknown. Why the hell didn't they take a look at Xbox Live and hire some better frickin' programmers? They just keep on disappointing me, it's breaking my god damn heart.

If my old friend Sega was still alive, he'd have fucked shit up by now without even going beast mode. I'll be playing NSMBU on friday with tears streaming down my face. Fuck this fucking shit.

LOL! I love threads like these and how they enrage people...

So here's another fun Nintendo DRM story:

http://arstechnica.com/gaming/2012/...ed-400-of-downloaded-games-on-my-failing-wii/

The gist: guy tries to transfer all his Wii VC content, saves, and games to the Wii U, the transfer process gets stuck and doesn't work, he calls Nintendo and they said he has to send in his (fully functioning) Wii for repairs in order to get all his digital data copied to the Wii U, which costs $85.

After taking it up with a few more people on Nintendo CS, they offer to discount the repair for $25. And now that the story has since gone up, Nintendo is now offering the repair for free.

Hoo boy.
I'm surprised this didn't have it's own thread. Seems like something that would have brought about some valid criticism of the way Nintendo is doing things with this system.

I've learned to wait years at this point with Nintendo hardware. They won't have smash or anything really appealing close to launch they way they did on the gamecube and their hardware/service approach is pathetic compared to Sony or MS' offerings. At least I won't have to worry about digital transfers since I've never bought anything on Nintendo hardware and never plan to.

There is absolutely no defense of Nintendo's inability to do the most basic of consumer-facing features for their digital distribution services. How disappointing. I was really hoping they would actually get their shit straight but I guess the "expect the worst" mode I usually use for NoA is now for Nintendo at large.

Well, I guess this won't affect me now that I think about it. I won't be making an account anyway since I won't be downloading anything and nintendo's games don't even have online multiplayer.

On the subject of purchases being locked to the NNID: according to the Giant Bombcast, that does not appear to be the case. They claim that, with two NNID's on one Wii U, both accounts can play games purchased by either account. Which would indicate that purchases are not locked to accounts, but to the system. They're obviously associated with accounts - Nintendo clearly has a purchase history - but the NNID account is not required to be signed in to use content on the console. Very odd.

I haven't tried this myself, but I think I will tonight. I'll create another NNID and see if, when signed into that NNID, if I can not only play the games I bought with my real account (most likely yes), but also whether I can see my real account's purchase history (most likely no).

It seems as if nothing has changed, at least not functionally. I suppose it may allow things to change at some point, but they should have changed now, during this transition.

RagnarokX

They let you recover it if you send your console in for repair.

Yes, but Nintendo didn't migrate my account for me; they sent me a brand new blank system and I was able to link my account to it. It seems like in the future they could allow you to do it yourself by formatting your original Wii U and linking your NNID to a new one.

On the subject of purchases being locked to the NNID: according to the Giant Bombcast, that does not appear to be the case. They claim that, with two NNID's on one Wii U, both accounts can play games purchased by either account. Which would indicate that purchases are not locked to accounts, but to the system. They're obviously associated with accounts - Nintendo clearly has a purchase history - but the NNID account is not required to be signed in to use content on the console. Very odd.

I haven't tried this myself, but I think I will tonight. I'll create another NNID and see if, when signed into that NNID, if I can not only play the games I bought with my real account (most likely yes), but also whether I can see my real account's purchase history (most likely no).

It seems as if nothing has changed, at least not functionally. I suppose it may allow things to change at some point, but they should have changed now, during this transition.

Your NNID most like has the licenses needed to play the games. As long as one of the NNIDs on a console has the required license, any account on that system can play those games. That makes sense. In the future, if they let you migrate your account with minimal assistance, moving your NNID would cut off access to those games. In fact, the manual for the eShop talks about purchasing licenses.

There's nothing strange about that. It's the way it should work. PS3 works the exact same way.

There's nothing strange about that. It's the way it should work. PS3 works the exact same way.

Hmm, now that you mention it, that's true. Nintendo just needs a system to move the account around.

That's not how it works on 360, though, there you need to sign in with the purchasing account to play games. But you can do that on any 360, at any time, as long as you're online.

RoyalFool

Banned
Urg, still not sure if I should stick with physical media or not on the Wii U. At first I thought they just needed a while to get their shit together but when you consider how they re-sell their classic games on each new platform, you have to wonder if they are trying to avoid it else sales of the classics will dry up.

I can't even seem to find a straight answer on what happens if my Wii U breaks, some people say they got a new console back after having it repaired and downloaded titles again - but if my system is stolen, can I buy a new one and recover it still?

Well, we already know that the NNID will be opened up to other devices (3DS, smartphones, etc.) next year. It wouldn't surprise me if it were opened up to other Wii Us at the same time.

As it is, it's absolutely a shitty situation, and will continue to be so until Nintendo changes it, but I'm pretty sure that's going to be happening.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
"Opened up to other devices" is open for interpretation. Iwata's talked about accessing a website for the eShop and getting a QR code for easier downloading of games from the system, and eventually triggering a download from the website itself (similar to Google Play for Android devices.) So NNID will obviously be needed for that sort of thing. It's also not inconceivable that the 3DS eShop starts migrating to NNIDs to unify things.

Neither of these means anything for the games being locked per console whatsoever.

I took a pessimist view of Wii U accounts when they were announced, and I turned out to be somewhat right. Iwata put a heavy emphasis on local accounts and that's obviously where they focused, as the game/console-locking typifies. The situation was a bit better than I feared, with alphanumeric usernames (finally), but my fears were confirmed in most other ways.

Saying "NNIDs will be used on other devices!" isn't some magic wand wave that guarantees this problem will be solved in the future. The only path to this situation being resolved is so bitch as loud as possible so Nintendo will fix it, like they did way back when they allowed VC and WiiWare games to be launched from the SD card. I complained loudly back then about it and it was solved, so I'm doing the same for this deficiency.

Create enough bees buzzing, and other bees will buzz louder in response. Nintendo doesn't read NeoGAF, but NeoGAF users don't just post on NeoGAF. The internet isn't a wide open field, it's a hallway, and shouting down it will have echoes.

Pray those echoes reach their target.

Reigning your expectations is probably the best thing to do :p
I'm not expecting my Wii U to be any different from the 3DS, at the very best, in terms of Online accountivity and such.

MikeOxbig

Reigning your expectations is probably the best thing to do :p
I'm not expecting my Wii U to be any different from the 3DS, at the very best, in terms of Online accountivity and such.

Big difference in that my 3DS goes everywhere I go and my WiiU goes nowhere I go. I want to play on my brothers' systems. I want to play on my friends' systems. I hate being a guest on every WiiU but my own, with no ability to play online, post in Miiverse, chat, etc. etc. etc.

Top Bottom