• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nin-Network Acct locked to system it was made on [Upd: Customer Service can't help]

Nothing, they did a great job since they were under warranty. Aside from the 3-4 weeks total of being out the system.

If it had not been under warranty, I would not have been able to purchase a new system and simply download my purchases.
You missed my point though that Nintendo systems are not impervious to defects, so a real account system is needed.

But they transferred your stuff. So who cares?

Yeah they definitely don't care. That's why they aren't releasing an update to address thi-

http://www.nintendo.com/consumer/sys...ur_account.jsp

Can I Log Into My Nintendo Network Account on a Different Console?
Answer:

-No, you cannot. A Nintendo Network Account can only be used on the console where it was created. In the future, you will be able to use your Nintendo Network Account with future Nintendo consoles and other devices, such as PC's.

-Currently, the Wii U supports up to 12 individual Nintendo Network ID's per console, which enables each member of the family to have his or her own unique identity on the system.

...Oh.

Sounds promising.

Kiraly

Yeah they definitely don't care. That's why they aren't releasing an update to address thi-

http://www.nintendo.com/consumer/sys...ur_account.jsp

Can I Log Into My Nintendo Network Account on a Different Console?
Answer:

-No, you cannot. A Nintendo Network Account can only be used on the console where it was created. In the future, you will be able to use your Nintendo Network Account with future Nintendo consoles and other devices, such as PC's.

-Currently, the Wii U supports up to 12 individual Nintendo Network ID's per console, which enables each member of the family to have his or her own unique identity on the system.

...Oh.

It says future Nintendo consoles, how great we will enjoy 2005's online gaming in 2017!

Roto13

Nintendo lets you recover your downloads from a bricked Wii if you call in.

If you have to do that with Wii U, it's idiotic, but let's not act like you lose all of your games if your Wii dies.

Erethian

So what is the 'use existing Nintendo Network ID' option there for in account creation?

Because if you can't log into an existing NNID on another console it doesn't have any reason to be there.

XenodudeX

Where does it say you'll be able to log in to your Nintendo Account that's linked to your Wii U on another Wii U?

I'm just assuming of course. I read somewhere that your Wii U NIN account will be also linked to your 3DS one as well. I'll try finding it.

Yeah they should of had this up day one, but they didn't, so what are you going to do?

Fewr

Major overreaction to something that can probably be resolved with a simple phone call.. :S

If you have to do that with Wii U, it's idiotic, but let's not act like you lose all of your games if your Wii dies.
There is no such simple phone call for international users. If your system breaks down you lose everything.

I'm just assuming of course. I read somewhere that your Wii U NIN account will be also linked to your 3DS one as well. I'll try finding it.

Yeah they should of had this up day one, but they didn't, so what are you going to do?

Not automatically assume they're going to fix it without evidence, mostly. What are you gonna do, try and spin it?

Pezking

I like it.

They still manage to make it very easy to avoid spending money on digital content.

And that means that we're still far away from a digital only future! :)

Erethian

Good question.

The only thing I can think of is that you can create multiple users all tied to the same NNID.

Other option is that Nintendo intended for you to be able to log into a NNID from a different console but they don't have all that shit setup yet.

So what is the 'use existing Nintendo Network ID' option there for in account creation?

Because if you can't log into an existing NNID on another console it doesn't have any reason to be there.

any gaffers wanna give it a try? see if nnid can actually be used on a different system?

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
My guess is this is patched in later.

Where does it say you'll be able to log in to your Nintendo Account that's linked to your Wii U on another Wii U?

Apparently "future nintendo console" = any other Wii U

I think their plan is to let you use your NNID on a single portable and a single console at any given time, with the option for account transfer from portable to portable and console to console. I don't think their plan is to let you use your NNID on multiple 3DS's or multiple Wii U's. They probably think of that as piracy.

Presumably you'll be making a NNID on 3DS eventually. And you'll be able to register one on PC, etc.

Yep. If your console dies, it's not like all of your Nintendo Network activity suddenly goes away. Support just has to flip a switch, and you can put your NNID on a new console.

Not allowing multiple consoles is probably to eliminate logging into other accounts (like those of your friends) and re-downloading / playing their retail or eShop games for free.

But is it the best way to handle that problem? Not at all.

image.php

Nope. You've got to delete the account, which would delete all of your eshop activity.

This is not logging into your account. This is deleting your account.
Ignore this man, there is no set up whatsoever.

Calling Nintendo might do something but tbh I can't even be arsed with it all atm.
I had faith in Miiverse - its not even working across the OS - apps all reload the Network as oppose to just working off a central OS.

This better change cause tbh this is not what the Miiverse was suppose to be. At all.

pestul

Wow, I got crucified. Yeah, you guys are right, it's just not something that has ever been a concern for me. I generally don't float/access my accounts on other machines. Its not very forward thinking on their part and hopefully something they can resolve in updates.

angelfly

There's no excuse for locking accounts to the console. The whole point of having the accounts is not having to lock everything to the system itself.

pestul

I hope I don't run into any issues with the system/account shenanigans because I was primarily planning on going DD only this gen.

Choc

Banned
"Rushed Consoles are always bad but delayed consoles are eventually good"

just to twist Miyamotos words on game dev ;)

I guess the "this doesn't affect me crowd" doesn't have friends who they may hang out with who might want to play a game that's tied to your account at their house while you're there or have kids and may plan to buy more than one Wii U to have purchases on both devices, or think that their console will never be broken/stolen/etc but if it is, they really want to go through Nintendo customer service to redownload on the refurbished/new device.

Because y'know, that's what we expect out of our services now.

Tempy

don't ask me for codes
I'm hoping *someone* will ask Reggie for clarification. I'm guessing Nintendo doesn't actually understand why people wanted an account system.

Not trying to be melodramatic, but this completely killed my interest in picking up the deluxe Wii U. Already wasn't super excited about the launch, but I figured if I was going to get one eventually anyways I may as well grab the one with the discounted eshop purchases. Sure as hell am not going to spend a bunch of money on the eShop though if purchases are tied to the console again. Between this and the other issues that have already been popping up (slow system menus and there's already been 2 hardware lock-ups on the Giant Bomb stream) any enthusiasm I've had has been killed off. I'll undoubtedly pick one up down the road because I love me some first party Nintendo games, but it probably won't be for quite a while.

There is some element of over reaction here, but I'm not too bothered, Nintendo could do with some early pressure to ensure this system can be made as good as it can be...

it seems obvious to me that all account activity is linked to NNIDs, which are linked to a given systems user(s).. all users on a single system can play each others downloads IIRC. It seems as though, rather than monitoring DRM by network connection at log on or as games load (online dependent) they are fixing NNIDs to one user on one system at a time. I am not against this as long as they give us the means to transfer our accounts to other systems, or to reauthorize systems so to speak.

I can't be logged in on two Xbox 360s at the same time and indeed I can't share my downloads that way, I have to recover my gamertag on another console and redownload my profile and rights... That's all this needs in order to be fixed.

even if they don't do that, it should be a simple case of a phone call. People have been able to get entire libraries of Wii software redownloaded when their systems broke, and there was near as dammit no account system there at all. For people in international territories, there is ALWAYS someone to complain to.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Things I can do with my 360 gamer tag:

- Sign on to multiple 360s at my house. My girlfriend can play on one while I play on the other.

- sign on to my friend's 360s so I can use my account at their house to access account features or progress in games at their house

- sign in to any future 360 so If mine breaks I know everything will be intact. I don't need to call Microsoft or keep the original system to do this.

Here's how digital content works on the 360:
- anyone can access digital content on the console it is bought on. So if I buy content at my friend's house, he or she can use it in perpetuity

- I can access my own content on any 360 in the world, no matter when or where it was originally purchased.

This was all possible on day one in 2005.

Top Bottom