• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo 3DS Direct - 17th April - 3 PM UK/10 AM EST

GulAtiCa

I originally had jury duty all this week. But the guy in the case pleaded guilty, so now I get to view this with the rest of you live! :)

Keeping my expectations low: Guild 02 localization announcements, various eShop stuff, new details/footage of the Mario games announced in the last major ND (M&L:DT, MG:WT, MvDK), maybe a bit on new OS features. If we actually get further localization announcements or completely new retail game announcements, I'll be pleasantly surprised.

Nekki

advance_wars_days_of_ruin_conceptart_EwAln.jpg

It's like i'm torturing myself.

zroid

Banned
What's the deadline for a Japanese Direct to be announced before the hype is killed?

I would say within the next few hours. Sometime before noon JST.

Even if Japan direct doesn't happen though, we might still get some localization news!

Okay, since we're posting lists now, I guess it's time for me to throw in the gauntlet too. Each individual game or announcement will be separated into its own bullet point, so this list may actually look longer and more impressive than it is.

GAMES:
  • Bravely Default: Flying Fairy
  • Dragon Quest 7 Remake
  • Fantasy Life
  • Professor Layton vs Phoenix Wright
  • Professor Layton and the Azran Legacy
  • Donkey Kong Country Returns 3D
  • Mario and Luigi: Dream Team
  • Mario Golf
  • Animal Crossing: New Leaf

ESHOP
  • Sale of all Level-5 games starting immediately
  • Guild02 games confirmed for eShop immediately
  • eShop for browsers and smartphones detailed
  • Virtual Console, headlined by The Legend of Zelda: Oracle of Ages and Oracle of Seasons

HARDWARE
  • Animal Crossing: New Leaf bundle announced for North America and Europe

SERVICES
  • Miiverse for 3DS first look; screenshot capturing, saving, and sharing, and OS level friends messaging
  • First look at unified Nintendo Network accounts. These may not necessarily apply to eShop yet

OH, AND ONE MORE THING...
  • One final mysterious surprise announcement. I don't think this will happen, but I am holding out hope that it does. This one is not to be taken as seriously as my previous bulletpoints. But I think they will announce The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask 3D

That's my complete rundown. Total running time: ~27 minutes.

Fey

Banned
If all we got was Reggie showing up and saying "Ace Attorney 5 and/or Professor Layton vs Ace Attorney will be released on _____, 2013" I would be perfectly happy.

donny2112

With no Japanese component, there won't be big new stuff. Therefore, as has already been postulated, it'll be localizations and dates for stuff.

DQVIIR (published by Nintendo)
BD:FF (published by Nintendo)
DQM:Terry's Wonderland (published by Nintendo)
DQH:RS2 (download-only, published by Nintendo)

Fantasy Life (Level 5)
Rune Factory 4 (Xseed, already announced)
Dragon Ball Heroes: UM (Namco-Bandai)
Project X Zone (Namco-Bandai, already announced)
SK (at press event only, Xseed)

Plus more Animal Crossing, DKC3D, and, oh, btw, Oracle games available for download for $10 for both after the Nintendo Direct.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
With no Japanese component, there won't be big new stuff. Therefore, as has already been postulated, it'll be localizations and dates for stuff.

Fantasy Life (Level 5)

Plus more Animal Crossing, DKC3D, and, oh, btw, Oracle games available for download for $10 for both after the Nintendo Direct.

You sure there won't be a Japanese component? Let's talk about this again in some hours :p

However, you're right. Even in the (slight, IMHO) case there's no Japanese component, ND would be about things like those you mentioned.

zroid

Banned

You may be right about the DQs, but I reckon BDFF will be a Square Enix release and localization in the West. Simply because the manner in which it leaked doesn't strike me as the sort of thing Nintendo would allow or have patience for. It'd likely have been locked down.

Soriku

Fantasy Life (Level 5)

I could see Nintendo publishing DQ games but I'd be surprised if they published Bravely Default.

R

Rösti

Unconfirmed Member
I made a wallpaper for this (in 4K):

I couldn't find a high resolution image of Shibata so he's not included unfortunately.

Hopefully we get an announcement of a Japanese Nintendo Direct broadcast soon.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
If Japanese Direct didn't happens then it wouldn't kill my hype because I want those localization games! :D

Plus they should save some games to reveal at E3 or e3 Nintendo Direct.

jeremy1456

If Japanese Direct didn't happens then it wouldn't kill my hype because I want those localization games! :D

Plus they should save some games to reveal at E3 or e3 Nintendo Direct.

At this point I'm more excited about games that haven't been localized than new announcements.

I just can't understand a world that will bring over Project X Zone, but ignores Bravely Default, Slime Mori Mori, and Dragon Quest VII.

BY2K

Membero Americo
I wouldn't be surprise if the Oracles Zelda were announced tomorrow to come out on the eShop at this week's update.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
At this point I'm more excited about games that haven't been localized than new announcements.

I just can't understand a world that will bring over Project X Zone, but ignores Bravely Default, Slime Mori Mori, and Dragon Quest VII.

None of them don't really sting that much as Final Fantasy Type-0 does.

Edited: Don't get me wrong, I'm definitely hyped if we are getting Bravely Default.

Drago

Why does everyone forget EX Troopers when talking about localization. I know it's not MML3, but it still looked pretty great.

Hard coded text (all text is drawn onto the art I believe - they would have to redraw art for an international release) plus low marketability makes it an extremely unlikely candidate, unfortunately.

Het_Nkik

Sven pretty much confirmed it's not coming and gave us the reason, because of the JP text being hard coded into the game.

Having played the game on PS3, it doesn't even seem like it'd be a big deal to replace the speech bubble text. The onomatopoeia graphics maybe.

I think the real reason is because it's stars a pink-haired pretty boy and is the most Japanese thing I've ever played ever. It's like every anime trope the game.

But it is awesome.

javac

All I want.

Fire Emblem DLC and stuff for Europe
Bravely Default for Europe with limited edition.

That's all. You can't fuck this up Shibata.

Having played the game on PS3, it doesn't even seem like it'd be a big deal to replace the speech bubble text. The onomatopoeia graphics maybe.

I think the real reason is because it's stars a pink-haired pretty boy and is the most Japanese thing I've ever played ever. It's like every anime trope the game.

But it is awesome.

Yeah that's my thought as well.

Sven pretty much confirmed it's not coming and gave us the reason, because of the JP text being hard coded into the game.

Hard coded text (all text is drawn onto the art I believe - they would have to redraw art for an international release) plus low marketability makes it an extremely unlikely candidate, unfortunately.
Seems like they could just leave the text as is and put a text bubble on the second screen. Same with all the Japanese VO.

I'm fine (and the audience this appeals to) with a quick and relatively low-budget localization.

Top Bottom