• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo 3DS Direct - 17th April - 3 PM UK/10 AM EST

Skiesofwonder

Walruses, camels, bears, rabbits, tigers and badgers.
Now that I think about it, I'm kind of pissed that Windwaker is getting the HD treatment and not Skyward Sword. In a just world, we would get a Skyward Sword HD-optimized version along with the Windwaker remake.

Ahhh, the two best Zeldas in HD.

A man can dream.

And Retro co-developed right?!? And the overworld created by Moonlith-Soft?!?!? And Platinum developed bosses?!?!?

That much awesomeness would implode the universe.

kuppy

It's kinda crazy if we think about it. The 3DS at this point in time has a lot of high quality games from both first and third party developers. All kinds of IP, big sellers, smaller titles, indie titles, mainstream games, niche games, new IP and sequels. But we want more! 3DS is so good.
So true.
I am really happy with the 3DS and will take everything this Direct delivers.

Majora's Mask is perfect as is. It doesn't need more dungeons because of the way the game is designed (with the time travelling mechanic and the focus on the world)

Agreed, it's perfect as it is (good reason for not needing a remake). Just saying that in case that there was necessary to add stuff in order to seduce old players with a remake, I would add extra dungeons instead of more sidequests or masks. It had over 25 masks and 52 heart pieces, but only 4 temples.

BJWanlund

Here's what I think about this being a 3DS ND and where the Wii U one is: Many people are screaming that Nintendo needs to focus on the Wii U. Frankly, I think this is a bogus way to go. Nintendo, whenever their console sales haven’t lived up to their expectations, has ALWAYS fallen back on the handhelds to carry the day.

When the N64 didn’t sell all THAT well, Nintendo had the Game Boy and Game Boy Color. When the GameCube’s sales faltered, they had the Game Boy Advance as a fallback. The Wii had the DS as a fallback were they ever to need it, and now with the Wii U, the 3DS is Nintendo’s fallback.

As far as my (non-game) predictions go:

1) Preordering or prepurchasing games on the eShop. Otherwise, why would we have a whole section of games that are coming soon to the eShop (that includes Animal Crossing New Leaf for a mere $34.99 which isn't coming out for 2 whole months last I checked)?

2) 3DS Virtual Console news. Maybe SNES and GBA?

3) Miiverse 3DS / Unified eShop account system (maybe even incentives for upgrading to something that should've been there day one but I dunno)

4) DS games available for purchase on the eShop. That way we can all re-play the first 4 games in the Ace Attorney series (and maybe Ace Attorney Investigations too?) before Ace Attorney 5 hits the US.

5) Full-on eShop redesign?

Game predictions next:

Pretty much a lock for being shown:
Animal Crossing New Leaf
Mario & Luigi Dream Team
Mario Golf World Tour
Pokemon X & Y
Donkey Kong Country Returns 3D

Really Unlikely:
Mother/EarthBound Collection
Fire Emblem Collection
Advance Wars 3DS (and an Advance Wars collection... without Days of Ruin / Dark Conflict please...)

Neff

Here's what I think about this being a 3DS ND and where the Wii U one is: Many people are screaming that Nintendo needs to focus on the Wii U. Frankly, I think this is a bogus way to go. Nintendo, whenever their console sales haven’t lived up to their expectations, has ALWAYS fallen back on the handhelds to carry the day.

In those cases, Nintendo looked at their market slice and decided that there wasn't anything more to do because business was winding down and competition was booming.

In Wii U's case, the thing hasn't even started yet. It's literally been months since any kind of big release, and there's almost nothing else to play. They need to tell us how and when we're going to be playing something amazing, because there's nothing on the immediate horizon.

Is there a Facebook event yet?

Yep.

https://www.facebook.com/Nintendo/events

Last Direct with a Facebook event was the February 14th event (M&L Dream Team, Mario Golf: World Tour, Donkey Kong Country Returns announced).

9EppQjj.png

I always hope for the most awesome announcements ever from Nintendo and I always get
"WE ARE PLEASED TO ANNOUNCE A NEW DOC MCSTUFFINS GAME FOR 3DS AND WII U!"

I wants Chibi Robo, I hope Skip is still even around, they've been silent since 2010!!!

Sad as Kenichi Niishi just disappeared after his dog Tao passed away, he was most recently credited in Sticker Star under Special Thanks apparently (quite the Love-de-Lic game, the founder of Vanpool also was from there and co-directed Sticker Star and worked on the story IIRC, we just needed Kimura).

But yeah, Chibi Robo is a darling of a franchise (yeah I said darling), so much charm for a character that doesn't talk.

Also I want Noise to come out of hiding and make Custom Robo 3DS, the only Marigul company other than Ambrella still around, and the only one of the two to have created something, I think we need our Custom Robo fix, wouldn't you say?

Speaking of, will Ambrella PLEASE step out of the Rumble series and make Hey You Pikachu 2 or even a new IP?! Hopefully with Rumble Blast for 3DS and soon Rumble U out of the way, they'll do something different, they haven't made more than one per platform so far.

I want so many underground Nintendo games don't even get me started.

Chibi Robo, Trace Memory, Hotel Dusk, Endless Ocean, Custom Robo, Doshin... :(

Endless Ocean I think is too ambitious, it depends on high polys and open spaces, 3DS' main weaknesses.

Trace Memory and Hotel Dusk ain't happening unless Nintendo secretly brought together the old kin from Cing.

Doshin, as well as other Marigul games like Cubivore sadly ain't ever happening, the teams long disbanded, only one I know of is one of the Param (Doshin) folks went to Grasshopper.

I'd be super happy with a Fossil Fighters 3 and Card Hero as well, especially if we get the fucking latter this time, how did the DS game not make it over?!

NMFried

Hotel Dusk and Custom Robo :'(

I put so many hours into the DS Custom Robo. Wow.
I think we're due for a new Advance Wars too, and while we're at it, Magical Starsign 2.

Hotel Dusk and Custom Robo :'(

I put so many hours into the DS Custom Robo. Wow.
I think we're due for a new Advance Wars too, and while we're at it, Magical Starsign 2.

Magical Starsign/Vacation is now endangered due to Brownie Brown's restructure and one of the founders departing from it.

Nintendo made the mistake of not splitting Brownie Brown into two companies, the grunt workers to be 1-UP, and the creative team into Brownies (the founder's new company), Brownies should've been a new 1st-party team, but now it's cured with mobile games, yeah, good luck with that...

It is absolutely true that as far as usage for Nintendo, Brownie Brown was their #1 least used company, only a couple of games were ever made directly with Nintendo (four I think, the Magical series, Mother 3, and 3D Land), far more were by 3rd-parties.

So this move is Nintendo finally finding real use for them.

Problem is, you're gutting the key Mana folks who formed the company, they should've been retained properly and found a new creative focus. Why Nintendo underutilized them I have no clue.

I would've bought Grezzo and put the Mana folks from BB over there since Grezzo was formed by the creator of Mana.

18-Volt

Fo Sure:
The "Denpa" Men 2: Beyond the Waves

Maybe:
Fantasy Life
Bravely Default
Dragon Quest VII
Guild 02

Little chance:
Majora's Mask
More VC games

Nope, never:
Advance Wars 3DS
GTA 3DS
Chibi or Custom Robo

Magical Starsign/Vacation is now endangered due to Brownie Brown's restructure and one of the founders departing from it.

Nintendo made the mistake of not splitting Brownie Brown into two companies, the grunt workers to be 1-UP, and the creative team into Brownies (the founder's new company), Brownies should've been a new 1st-party team, but now it's cured with mobile games, yeah, good luck with that...

I'm actually surprised they aren't working on a 3DS eShop game. Maybe there's some bad blood between them.

Nosgoroth

How close are we to critical hype mass? That being the point at which hype snowballs like crazy and we all hype ourselves like a train stuck in a rollercoaster.

Skiesofwonder

Walruses, camels, bears, rabbits, tigers and badgers.
Serious question:

Would you be disappointed if whatever Retro has been working on turned out to be a 3DS game instead of WiiU?

Top Bottom