• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo addresses the Samus Returns Amiibo controversy (USGamer)

jacobeid

Banned
Honest question, are those amiibo spoofers illegal? Are we allowed to talk about them here? Because if so this seems like the perfect case scenario to use one since you can't even buy the amiibo.

Cryxok

English is not my first language, but to me it doesn't imply that Fusion Mode is harder than Hard Mode. It mentions that Fusion Mode is a "more challenging difficulty" before bringing Hard Mode up, which leads me to believe it is harder than normal and that's it.

The statement is still not clear enough tho. For all we know, Fusion Mode could be harder, it could be the same, it could be harder than Normal but easier than Hard Mode and even could be hard in a different way compared to Hard Mode (think damage vs enemy amount/placement)

-shadow-

So does this mean that it's the same hard mode but with the Fusion suit, or a different hard mode entirely? That statement is still rather confusing :/

Ivan 3414

The language is still unclear as fuck.

Is Fusion mode just a repurposed "standard hard mode", or a mode with an unique and exclusive difficulty?

Yukinari

Once again, something inside the game will be locked away forever unless you hack it or they actually keep producing those Metroid amiibos forever.

I know this is still a controversial option but its only gonna be an issue if somehow nintendo stops NFC spoofing.

Like yeah obviously i would prefer it wasnt locked at all.

LordRaptor

how to not make silly post:

stop being attached to a company emotionaly.

glad to help

Its going to be as lame as TPPHDs "super hard mode" was, which is going to be hard mode but taking double damage.
Not collecting optional energy tanks is going to literally be the same effect.
Same as skipping extra hearts in TPP.

People getting super mad about that seem to be the ones with the emotional attachment.

Berordn

This

and this

Seems to imply Fusion Mode is harder than Hard Mode.

I'm not seeing how you can actually come to either conclusion from that statement. All it states is that there's a Fusion mode and a Hard mode and they're separate. It's not making claims about the difficulty in relation to each other, just that they're both harder difficulties.

As before, we're still waiting for confirmation.

13ruce

Banned
Honest question, are those amiibo spoofers illegal? Are we allowed to talk about them here? Because if so this seems like the perfect case scenario to use one since you can't even buy the amiibo.

If you use em for yourself they aren't illegal but if you sell em well that's grey area probs.

Feffe

It wasn't an issue of people jumping to conclusions; it was incorrect information being given, repeatedly, and at early stages effectively refusing to respond to the natural question.
The information was "Fusion Mode, which is an harder difficulty mode, is locked behind an amiibo".
Almost everybody read that as "Hard Mode is locked behind an amiibo, as Fusion Mode is the only hard mode in the game".

OCD Guy

Good news this should calm down people alot.

Why will it? It's still a difficulty level locked behind amiibo, and there's no option to purchase it separately.

I don't think the issue was that there was no hard mode, simply that a difficulty level is locked behind a plastic figurine.

Nothing has changed in all of this.

The information was "Fusion Mode, which is an harder difficulty mode, is locked behind an amiibo".
Almost everybody read that as "Hard Mode is locked behind an amiibo, as Fusion Mode is the only hard mode in the game".

That doesn't change anything. The principle is that there is a difficulty level locked behind a plastic figurine. The fact that there is a "hard" difficulty level doesn't change that.

I don't think people were annoyed simply because they thought there was no hard mode, there could be 5 hard modes, but the fact that an even harder mode is locked behind a plastic figurine will annoy some people.

The annoyance of amiibos isn't exclusive to Metroid. People are not happy that dlc of any kind is locked behind plastic figurines. Initially amiibos were meant to be cosmetic items which I feel some people could tolerate, but I think the fear for many is that the content locked behind amiibos might become even better.

Imagine if they locked the Breath of the Wild DLC (including story expansion) behind an amiibo...

DGtP1drXsAAO6cX.jpg

Just because there's two harder difficulties and only one is locked behind an expensive, hard to fund physical piece of merchandise, doesn't suddenly make things OK. If anything it just passes me off more, because they are clearly aware that this is a selling point and exploiting their weakest willed fans.

Nintendo are seriously beginning to just be taking the piss with Amiibo.

Rncewind

Its going to be as lame as TPPHDs "super hard mode" was, which is going to be hard mode but taking double damage.
Not collecting optional energy tanks is going to literally be the same effect.
Same as skipping extra hearts in TPP.

Seems like you neither taking the free advise nor kow what literally means.

People getting super mad about that seem to be the ones with the emotional attachment.

emotionaly attached to what? To not partcipate in nintendo defense force? yes im really attached to that.

Continue with the shitposting tho

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
The fusion suit was also locked away in Metroid Prime, requiring a whole other game and the GameCube/Game Boy Advance Link Cable to unlock it, so in some ways, it's Nintendo sticking to Metroid tradition.

13ruce

Banned
Why will it? It's still a difficulty level locked behind amiibo, and there's no option to purchase it separately.

I don't think the issue was that there was no hard mode, simply that a difficulty level is locked behind a plastic figurine.

Nothing has changed in all of this.

I should have written more then 1 sentence bbut what i ment with that is: alot of peeps thought that would have been the only hard mode available now there atleast is a regular hard mode too.

Look i also hate content locked behind scarse available toys and no other way to get the content through eshop etc. But atleast the game has a hard mode itself now.

Don't get me wrong i still find it BS to lock a difficulity behind a toy/fiigurre only but atleast it's not the worst scenario where there is only easy and normal mode available in the main game wich would have been way worse imo.

Anteo

Lets be real. This is nintendo. Your super hard difficulty mode will be a "4x damage but everything else is the same", idc about that.

Now if the fusion mode turns out to be: new enemy locations, new item locations, etc. Then yeah I will be mad.

dan2026

Easy Mode
Normal Mode
Hard Mode (Unlocked after beating the game)
Fusion Mode (Unlocked after beating the game AND using an amiibo)

The Gallery being locked behind an amiibo pisses me off more since that was the initial point in speedrunning Zero Mission in various ways, different artwork.
Wait the gallery is locked behind an amiibo too?

How much stuff in this game is locked behind Nintendo's plastic tat?

The fusion suit was also locked away in Metroid Prime, requiring a whole other game and the GameCube/Game Boy Advance Link Cable to unlock it, so in some ways, it's Nintendo sticking to Metroid tradition.

Well people were begging for a traditional Metroid.

So we still don't know if it's the same difficulty as hard? If it's super hard it's still bullshit and that's what it seems like to me? I dot know why Nintendo thinks locking difficulty behind a pay wall is okay. First Zelda now this? Come the fuck on.

At least now we have renders of Fusion Suit Seamus that don't look incredibly dumb and anatomically cartoonish.

So hard mode can be unlocked through standard means, but extra hard mode is locked behind Amiibos. Gotcha.

So Fusion Mode is even harder than Hard Mode?

God damn it.

My interpretation is that Fusion mode is harder than the normal difficulty, not than hard mode. The wording can be read both ways, which is hilarious in a clarification about a previous clarification. :D We need to wait for the clarification on this clarification (which presumably will also leave some other matter ambiguous).

HaakonHaakonsen

Neo Member
Did people flip out when the Fusion suit was locked behind having a GBA with a link cable and Metroid Fusion? There was no other way to unlock that in the original Prime.

Did people flip out when Super Mario Advance 4 locked Mario 3 levels behind eReader cards?

They've been doing unlockables like this forever. The controversy was locking the difficulty behind what's basically a paywall. Now that has been clarified so I don't see what the big deal is. Sure it would be nice to be able to unlock in game, but that's not something to be expected in any game these days, and certainly not from Nintendo.

L Thammy

Isn't this the entire point of Amiibos? You buy them and they unlock stuff you won't get normally? I'm saying this as someone who hasn't bought one.

ZeroX03

Banned
However, there will be a standard hard mode that will be unlockable once players complete the game on regular difficulty.

Uhuh. So it's like Ganondorf amiibo in TP but with a costume. Which nobody was particularly mad about.

Knew this would be the case.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Honestly, I think it's as simple as Fusion Mode is as hard as Hard Mode, but they make it a mode to make it clear you can only use the bonus Fusion Suit with the hard difficulty and it's not available at all for Easy and Normal.

Isn't this the entire point of Amiibos? You buy them and they unlock stuff you won't get normally? I'm saying this as someone who hasn't bought one.
People are OK with cosmetic bonuses, especially ones that obviously would have never made it in without Amiibo like the Sonic suit in Mario Kart 8.

But complete game modes are a bit much.

However, this looks to be, in my view, to just be a bonus costume.

This. This changes nothing. There is still content being locked away behind a toy that sold out months before it was even released. It is fucking stupid, that's all there is to it.

That depends on how strongly the content is related to the toy.
For example if the content uses the NFC chip, then it wouldn't have existed without the toy.
Same for costumes if the game isn't known for having them in the base game, and if they are based on the toy.

(Did the amiibo help the creation of the content, or was the content cut to be put behind the amiibo.)

So you can either say that [A] Fusion mode is Samus with a Metroid-amiibo skin,
or say that they put the Fusion mode behind an amiibo.

Seeing how the Fusion mode existed in previous 3D Metroid games (even though it wasn't present in the original MII:RS), and that Zero Suit samus doesn't unlock a Zero Suit mode, we'd tend to come to the latter conclusion.

OCD Guy

I should have written more then 1 sentence bbut what i ment with that is: alot of peeps thought that would have been the only hard mode available now there atleast is a regular hard mode too.

Look i also hate content locked behind scarse available toys and no other way to get the content through eshop etc. But atleast the game has a hard mode itself now.

Don't get me wrong i still find it BS to lock a difficulity behind a toy/fiigurre only but atleast it's not the worst scenario where there is only easy and normal mode available in the main game wich would have been way worse imo.

Oh yeah I'm sure there will be people that are content that there is a hard mode afterall. As there were people who were genuinely concerned that there was no option of more challenging difficulty level without amiibo.

But my take on the last thread was the consensus was mainly people's annoyance with any dlc locked behind plastic figurines.

I don't like it at all. I personally wish we were given the option of buying any dlc separately. Surely Nintendo would make more money that way?

I know some people say that amiibos that offer no content in games devalues them, but honestly I think that they would still sell just as well. As many don't even open the amiibos up and are purchased as collectors items.

PMS341

I'm actually interested in the amiibo themselves as figures, but outside of functionality, just finding the pair is going to be near impossible. It always is with NoA. I think the lack of availability is the core of the problem - DLC and whatnot can be purchased anytime, anywhere - with amiibo being physical, this same rule should apply, but in stores, to a realistic degree.

Marcel

Nintendo's messaging from its American branch always seems like they have a call center-tier script from Japan and wouldn't know its ass from its elbow on how to deviate or clarify otherwise. Or they are so hamstrung by NoJ mandates they just constantly look like idiots.

Berordn

Tangential, but do you need to use the Metroid amiibo or could you use the Samus one to unlock this?

Both Samus (Smash series and Metroid series) amiibo unlock different things, the Metroid amiibo unlocks Fusion mode, and the Zero Suit Samus Smash amiibo unlocks something that the others don't.

I've kinda lost track, but having all these different series featuring the same characters but unlocking different things is just adding to the confusion and annoyance.

Axass

We're quickly reaching a point where having already on-disc/on-catridge stuff which has always been in the base game for 30 years (and/or new stuff) locked behind a $-€15 physical toy is becoming an industry standard, and people complaining about it are accused of being unreasonable or entitled.

Let that sink in. Once upon a time (like more or less 10 years ago) DLC didn't even exist.

Springy

Both Samus (Smash series and Metroid series) amiibo unlock different things, the Metroid amiibo unlocks Fusion mode, and the Zero Suit Samus Smash amiibo unlocks something that the others don't.

I've kinda lost track, but having all these different series featuring the same characters but unlocking different things is just adding to the confusion and annoyance.

Yeah, I'm with the general consensus that it's not a nice feature to begin with, but I at least own the damn things so it'd be cool to be less confused about how they work.

smurfx

get some go again
this really is one of those situations where players must continue giving nintendo as much crap as they can so they don't keep doing this with other games. imagine there being a new mario suit trapped behind an amiibo and you couldn't unlock it any other way.

gelf

Doesn't change the fact that there's a mode locked behind a stock limited plastic toy that even people who want one can't always get. Doesn't matter if I'd use that mode or not I don't like the principal of it. I'd be fine if it was just regular DLC.

13ruce

Banned
this really is one of those situations where players must continue giving nintendo as much crap as they can so they don't keep doing this with other games. imagine there being a new mario suit trapped behind an amiibo and you couldn't unlock it any other way.

Isn't that Mario white wedding suit locked behind the wedding Mario Amiibo (Mario Odyssey)?

Top Bottom