• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo : buy Mario Kart 8 on the eShop or retail, get a free game

GRW810

Wind Waker for me. Easy decision really. Been dying to replay the original for years, and then the remake once it was announced. Been waiting for it to drop to £20, and it came close a few times, but free is way better. I still can't believe I'm getting a brand new Mario Kart and an HD WW for £35.

I've already got Pikmin 3, NSMBU and NintendoLand, and didn't really get won over by the demos for W101, MH or Sonic. If it wasn't for WW I might have actually considered Wii Party U, though the critical acclaim for W101 would likely have persuaded me to give it a chance.

Bojanglez

The Amiga Brotherhood
Wind Waker for me. Easy decision really. Been dying to-replay the original for years, and then the remake once it was announced. Been waiting for it to drop to £20, and it came close a few times, but free is way better. I still can't believe I'm getting a brand new Mario Kart and an HD WW for £35.

I'm going with WW too, I was also waiting for it to get to £20 which it actually did the other day, but now I figure I'll wait and get it with MK8.

Megatron

Traded in Pikmin 3 today. Got $25 for it. I Will buy it at best buy using gcu then download Pikmin as my free game. I will wind up spending $23 for MK8.

Son Of D

Mentioned this in another topic but it's good to get more opinions.

Out of the selection of the games in the EU; MH3, Game and Wario and Wii Party U are the only games I don't already own. Out of those MH is the only one that interests me. However, I tried the MH demo and I wasn't keen on it. Is it just a case of bad demo or shall I just replace one of my physical games with a digital copy? I know it's a free bonus but I'd rather use it on something I know I'd play.

totowhoa

Banned
Got $105 from the Target deal that's happening now. Wish I had a few more games I was willing to part with so I could have gotten half off a ps4 or xb1, but it ensured that I'll finally grab Tropical Freeze and MK8 + Wind Waker. Getting all three for trading in 5 old games, such good deals.

andthebeatgoeson

Out of the selection of the games in the EU; MH3, Game and Wario and Wii Party U are the only games I don't already own. Out of those MH is the only one that interests me. However, I tried the MH demo and I wasn't keen on it. Is it just a case of bad demo or shall I just replace one of my physical games with a digital copy? I know it's a free bonus but I'd rather use it on something I know I'd play.
Have you ever played one? I didn't like the demo but put in 200+ hours with the game. Some of the concepts are hard to grasp in the beginning and become easier with time and hunting with others.

If you might enjoy hunting monsters and leveling up gear and weapons, you'll love it. It's addicting. And each weapon is varied so what you used in the demo may be the wrong class for you.

Too bad I have a basic...I know none of those games are going to fit on that giant 8 gigs..
Actually some of them will. MH and W101 won't though.

Can you find MH Tri for cheap. That might be a way to see if MH is for you. From what I can gather it does take some time to click.

Son Of D

Have you ever played one? I didn't like the demo but put in 200+ hours with the game. Some of the concepts are hard to grasp in the beginning and become easier with time and hunting with others.

If you might enjoy hunting monsters and leveling up gear and weapons, you'll love it. It's addicting. And each weapon is varied so what you used in the demo may be the wrong class for you.

The demo was my first MH experience. It does sound like something that would appeal to me though.

Can you find MH Tri for cheap. That might be a way to see if MH is for you. From what I can gather it does take some time to click.

I probably could find a cheap used copy somewhere. I think I'll do that. Not like I have to redeem my free game right away.

Experien

I have all the games but Pikmin 3.

On the fence about whether I should get that game or get Wii U Party to have it wherever my Wii U goes since I can't have Nintendo Land on there. :(

Griss

I have all the games but Pikmin 3.

On the fence about whether I should get that game or get Wii U Party to have it wherever my Wii U goes since I can't have Nintendo Land on there. :(

The fuck? Pikmin 3 is the Wii U's killer app. Best game on the system by a country mile.

NervousXtian

Thought Emoji Movie was good. Take that as you will.
Is the code gonna be linked to your account?

That way I could just sell the code for the free game.. own all the games already.

I guess I could sell Pikmin 3 and get it again?

Crazyorloco

I still can't believe Nintendo's giving away a free game if you purchase Mariokart. I mean, that's a game every U owner should've already been buying!

Looking forward to giving Pikmin 3 another shot.

I don't have a Wii u yet...but this offer has made me interested in it. It's a great deal.

Chopper

Is the code gonna be linked to your account?
I guess this is a limitation they could impose now. Would be sensible damage control, I suppose.

I'm still torn as to whether I'll bother buying multiple copies of the game and claiming a load of free games before returning the codeless games.

I don't think I will.

I guess this is a limitation they could impose now. Would be sensible damage control, I suppose.

I'm still torn as to whether I'll bother buying multiple copies of the game and claiming a load of free games before returning the codeless games.

I don't think I will.
There are still places that accept open box returns? (remember someone else buys that then doesn't get their code) Trade in sure but I can see a possible £10-£15 loss/cost (due to stores being inundated with them) which is not bad but doesn't make the deal as amazing (but for intended use its still great).

I'd think wait and see what happens to prices (if it goes high trade in your copy then buy a replacement kind of thing but they could all as easily crash at launch) and how others get on.

Chopper

There are still places that accept open box returns? (remember someone else buys that then doesn't get their code) Trade in sure but I can see a possible £10-£15 loss/cost (due to stores being inundated with them) which is not bad but doesn't make the deal as amazing (but for intended use its still great).

I'd think wait and see what happens to prices (if it goes high trade in your copy then buy a replacement kind of thing but they could all as easily crash at launch) and how others get on.
Yeah, no, I would return them as used. I could take the losses and still be reaping the benefit of super-cheap games.

Eh only now realized the offer got extended to Scandinavia. That's pretty cool (though still sucks that we don't have Club Nintendo).

Now I'm slightly more interested in the game, though still not that sure. I'd have to get an HDD so that kinda offsets getting the other game for free and I kinda hate the idea of getting an HDD, but then on the other hand I am gonna buy a lot of indie games during the next few years for the system and it's annoying to keep deleting them to make space.

Meh.. decisions decisions.

BowieZ

Banned
So does someone know the best way to take advantage of the SMK and free game promotions if no Club Nintendo account has been made yet? Can you start with a MK8 code that is digital? Or would that rule out the possibility of getting the SMK discount first?

So does someone know the best way to take advantage of the SMK and free game promotions if no Club Nintendo account has been made yet? Can you start with a MK8 code that is digital? Or would that rule out the possibility of getting the SMK discount first?
This might help.

I understand it as so buy SMK, the discount on MK8 from owning is on the eShop side so nothing to do with Club Nintendo, MK8 download will have the Club Nintendo PIN* on the summary or receipt. I noticed too on NOE site you can also get a temporary Club Nintendo membership via the NNID (whether that allows you to register the SMK download for the 50 star survey I don't know).

*-Is this how all Wii U retail downloads go. Seems odd when compared to 3DS.

Sadist

Well, I always knew there was a reason why I didn't pick up NSMBU.

It's either that or MHTriU, but I own the original on Wii and only played like eight hours.

CraigMcD

Don't know if it's been brought up already, but the Nintendo UK web site says we only qualify for the offer if we register the game on Club Nintendo after 10am on release day.

There have been issues in the past with codes bought from Game as they can sometimes be redeemed early (Pikmin 3 and Super Mario 3D World), which screwed with promotions and Nintendo Network Premium credit.

The web site makes it sound like your Mario Kart 8 won't automatically be registered on Club Nintendo and you'll have to put in a PIN, but it's never worked like this before as far as I know.

Naturally, the safest thing to do would be wait, but it would be annoying if the codes were enabled and we still had to wait.

Don't know if it's been brought up already, but the Nintendo UK web site says we only qualify for the offer if we register the game on Club Nintendo after 10am on release day.

There have been issues in the past with codes bought from Game as they can sometimes be redeemed early (Pikmin 3 and Super Mario 3D World), which screwed with promotions and Nintendo Network Premium credit.

The web site makes it sound like your Mario Kart 8 won't automatically be registered on Club Nintendo and you'll have to put in a PIN, but it's never worked like this before as far as I know.

Naturally, the safest thing to do would be wait, but it would be annoying if the codes were enabled and we still had to wait.

Yeah I think it's a bit shady; see post #865 and replies.

L~A

No, it is NOT shady. It's all in the OP :

You can find the Club Nintendo PIN code:
Inside the packaging of Mario Kart 8 software (including software which is part of the Mario Kart 8 Premium Pack – Special Edition Wii U hardware bundle);
On-screen on Wii U:
After purchasing the downloadable version of Mario Kart 8 from Nintendo eShop, or;
After the redemption of a download code for the downloadable version of Mario Kart 8.
Also in the receipt within “Menu”, then “Account Activity” in Nintendo eShop on the Wii U console, after downloading software from Nintendo eShop.

You have to manually register your game with a Club Nintendo PIN Code even if you buy digital (a first), so all you have to do is wait until the promotion official starts before using the PIN Code.

No, it is NOT shady. It's all in the OP :

My postman typically turns up around 8 with my post which means I could easily register the pin from my retail copy before 10 accidentally invalidating myself according to those TaC.
I had no idea that was the case until I just now read it here, and quite likely nearly no-one will: that's why it's shady.

They gain nothing from not starting the entry at midnight on the day of release, but they have chosen not to for some reason, which can only result in, at best, nothing, at worst, people angry over a stupid decision.

So I did some calculations in my head. While I would like 3 of the promotion games I put a price tag onto them and came to the conclusion that the strategy of 2 MK8 games (one traded in, use credit to buy 3rd+more) does not actually save me any money, only a bit of time. So my strategy instead is one copy then see what the prices do and redeem the most expensive of the 3 nearer the deadline.

So what games are going to fit on my 8 gig basic? I guess I'll probably just sell my code/game here on GAF.
Quite a few of them do actually. You can see sizes on the eShop. There should be a list floating around somewhere but IIRC Wind Waker and NSMBU fit for sure.

Anyone know? I am planning on using a different NNID to purchase the game and might do this for games in the future. Also, while you can have a Club Nintendo account linked to one NNID are you able to unlink and relink indefinitely so long as it is only linked to one NNID?

But from the terms it almost sounds like it will give the PIN if you don't have a Club Nintendo account linked (you know to avoid the headache of support calls of bought before linking wheres my stars)

L~A

My postman typically turns up around 8 with my post which means I could easily register the pin from my retail copy before 10 accidentally invalidating myself according to those TaC.
I had no idea that was the case until I just now read it here, and quite likely nearly no-one will: that's why it's shady.

They gain nothing from not starting the entry at midnight on the day of release, but they have chosen not to for some reason, which can only result in, at best, nothing, at worst, people angry over a stupid decision.

No, that's not shady. If you take part in a promotion without reading its Terms and Conditions, you only got yourself to blame. Unlike the Pikmin 3 promotion, those were available way before the start of the promotion.

Anyone know? I am planning on using a different NNID to purchase the game and might do this for games in the future. Also, while you can have a Club Nintendo account linked to one NNID are you able to unlink and relink indefinitely so long as it is only linked to one NNID?

The Terms and Conditions are clear : you get the PIN Code when buying the game, and you have to register it manually. No idea why they changed that (maybe to avoid the same problem they ran into with the Pikmin 3 promotion... or avoid people registering both physical/download copies of MK8?), or whether it'll stay like that for all future games (I sure hope not).

Pretty sure you'll be able to register the PIN code on any EU CN account, since it's not registered automatically.

CraigMcD

No, that's not shady. If you take part in a promotion without reading its Terms and Conditions, you only got yourself to blame. Unlike the Pikmin 3 promotion, those were available way before the start of the promotion.

The Nintendo Direct that the Pikmin 3/Wonderful 101 promotion was announced in clearly stated a start date (the release date). So it's the same situation.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
So I did some calculations in my head. While I would like 3 of the promotion games I put a price tag onto them and came to the conclusion that the strategy of 2 MK8 games (one traded in, use credit to buy 3rd+more) does not actually save me any money, only a bit of time. So my strategy instead is one copy then see what the prices do and redeem the most expensive of the 3 nearer the deadline.

Quite a few of them do actually. You can see sizes on the eShop. There should be a list floating around somewhere but IIRC Wind Waker and NSMBU fit for sure.

But from the terms it almost sounds like it will give the PIN if you don't have a Club Nintendo account linked (you know to avoid the headache of support calls of bought before linking wheres my stars)

An alternative strategy would be to check the B/S/T thread to find people that are selling their codes for cheap.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
The Nintendo Direct that the Pikmin 3/Wonderful 101 promotion was announced in clearly stated a start date (the release date). So it's the same situation.

What about no?
now they are clearly saying that YOU MUST ENTER THE PIN after a certain moment of a specific date. Last time they didn't advise, so some people tried downloading the game earlier and had issues.
Now: the donwload should be available only from midnight of the release date (last time I think that people whom received the code earlier was able to initiate the download earlier) and the PIN must be entered after a certain hour in order to be sure to activate the promo.
They are telling you to do that.It is said in the terms and conditions of the OFFER: yu you read only the good-looking banner without reading how to participate, it's not their fault

CraigMcD

What about no?
now they are clearly saying that YOU MUST ENTER THE PIN after a certain moment of a specific date. Last time they didn't advise, so some people tried downloading the game earlier and had issues.
Now: the donwload should be available only from midnight of the release date (last time I think that people whom received the code earlier was able to initiate the download earlier) and the PIN must be entered after a certain hour in order to be sure to activate the promo.
They are telling you to do that.It is said in the terms and conditions of the OFFER: yu you read only the good-looking banner without reading how to participate, it's not their fault

We're getting away from the point of my original post.

Nintendo are saying that you can only register the game on Club Nintendo after 10am. Normally, that means you wouldn't be able to get the game from the eShop (directly or otherwise) until 10am. But, Nintendo are saying that if you get the game from the eShop, you'll be given a Club Nintendo PIN. I haven't seen this happen before and I'm 100% digital.

I'm curious as to whether the system has changed (for the worse), or if it's just a mistake.

I'm just going to e-mail them to confirm.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
I'd fucking buy MK8 just to get the free game despite not owning a Wii U. But no. No NoE bonuses for Scandinavia. Because reasons. That's the real travesty here guys.

No, it is shady because Nintendo starts selling the game at midnight: They gain nothing by not starting the promotion for another 10 hours, but they apparently did it anyway.

http://idioms.thefreedictionary.com/shady+deal
a questionable and possibly dishonest deal or transaction.

People buy the game expecting a free download of their choice. If they receive the game prior to 10am (e.g. online preorders coming a day early/early post on launch day or buying it from the eshop at midnight) and are perhaps too eager to register it and claim the additional game, that doesn't justify them being left out of the promotion. They certainly wouldn't have been expecting to, and since Nintendos advertising on social consisted just of the banner (same one on the front page of this thread), which conveniently misses out the whole "wait until 10am or gtfo" part.

It's not shady because it's in the terms and conditions, it's shady because no rational thinking person would ever think anything that stupid would be in them, as it only serves to cause everyone headaches. Should they have read the TaC closer? Sure, but you can guarantee when some people screw it up and register early, Nintendo will backtrack and give them a choice of code anyway.

Top Bottom