• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo : buy Mario Kart 8 on the eShop or retail, get a free game

MicH

This isnt about Nintendo being stubborn, this is all Bergsala being stubborn.

And yes, Ultimate makes Tri obsolete
I'm fairly certain Bergsala have contacted NoE about the possibility of bring part of Club Nintendo numerous times and getting turned down every time. NoE refuses to let Scandinavia be part of CN Zbecsuse they're not the distributor themselves

Matesamo

I knew my delay in buying Pikmin 3 would pay off in the long run! I already own the other games but I am pretty happy to get what I can.

Is Wii Party U a good party game? Or should I go with Pikmin? Never played a Pikmin but honestly doesn't look very interesting to me.

Wish W101 was an option in NA.

Sendou

Wii Party U or NSMBU?

Never played them.

NSMBU.

It's the best 2D Mario platformer since SMW.

Pikmin 3 vs The Wonderful 101... Oh my..

Pikmin 3. Both are worth playing but Pikmin 3 is the better game in my opinion.

Is Wii Party U a good party game? Or should I go with Pikmin? Never played a Pikmin but honestly doesn't look very interesting to me.

Well it's not a bad party game but just buy Pikmin 3. It may not look interesting but it's still a blast to play and pretty unique game too.

Jindujun

Neo Member
I'm fairly certain Bergsala have contacted NoE about the possibility of bring part of Club Nintendo numerous times and getting turned down every time. NoE refuses to let Scandinavia be part of CN Zbecsuse they're not the distributor themselves

Pretty sure it's the other way around since I head Bergsala were the ones removing the star codes from some(most) released games here

Awesome that scandinavia gets this deal as well.

Now for some help to make me decide on the free game.

Games that I don't own/am interested in: Game and Wario, Wind Waker HD, Monster Hunter, Wii Party U.

I don't think I've watched any footage of Game and Wario or Wiii Party U, at all. Did enjoy previous installments somewhat. Wind Waker is an awesome Zelda game, but I've played through the gamecube version 3 times, it wouldn't be a fresh experience... I've always bern interested in Monster Hunter, but when I played the demo, I was rather let down, found it boring and trivial, but that could just have been from a bad demo that does a poor job of introducing you to the series.

What to do?

MicH

Pretty sure it's the other way around since I head Bergsala were the ones removing the star codes from some(most) released games here
Well, it wouldn't surprise me either way :p This promotion is the only decent thing they've done for us since... Forever?

Chopper

I am seriously struggling to work out which game to get. I might have to buy three copies of the game, register the codes on alt CN accounts and return them. Part of me thinks it's a good idea. Another part thinks it's a dick move.

NotLiquid

Game & Wario
Sonic
Mario & Sonic

WHAT TO DO?

I guess game and wario?

If you have company, Game & Wario is a really good time. It's lasting quality alone is pretty low.

Sonic Lost World is a mixed bag for many. Me personally, I liked it, but a lot of people didn't. If you get it for free you get a pretty alright platformer.

Really caught in two minds as to whether I get Super Mario Bros or Pikmin. I have never played a Pikmin game whereas I am pretty well-versed in Mario platformers.

I just fancy something different.

Blues1990

Awesome that scandinavia gets this deal as well.

Now for some help to make me decide on the free game.

Games that I don't own/am interested in: Game and Wario, Wind Waker HD, Monster Hunter, Wii Party U.

I don't think I've watched any footage of Game and Wario or Wiii Party U, at all. Did enjoy previous installments somewhat. Wind Waker is an awesome Zelda game, but I've played through the gamecube version 3 times, it wouldn't be a fresh experience... I've always been interested in Monster Hunter, but when I played the demo, I was rather let down, found it boring and trivial, but that could just have been from a bad demo that does a poor job of introducing you to the series.

What to do?

The demo for "Monster Hunter 3: Ultimate" does a poor job with explaining the games mechanics, especially to those who are new to the series. Instead, you should check out ProJared's Beginner's Guide to Monster Hunter, as he does a great job with covering all that you need to play the game. The Monster Hunter series is an incredible co-operative game, & there's enough content to satisfy a player for hundreds of hours. Of course, you can also play it alone, which you should do anyway, so you can get the hang of it & craft some decent items.

With Wii Party U, it's a serviceable multiplayer game that you can play with a group of friends or with some family members, but it's not that great of a solo experience. Instead, I would recommend getting the Nintendo Land bundle (that includes the Luigi-themed Wii Remote Plus), as it's a solid single & multiplayer game, and there's enough variety with the 12 attractions. Metroid Blast, Zelda: Battle Quest, & Balloon Trip: Breeze are my personal favourites.

Game & Wario is okay, but I wouldn't get it at full price. It's more of a rental, at best.

jlscool

I was trading some games in at Gamestop and they were talking about this offer and I was like should I really trade in one of my games, just to get it back again for free from Nintendo? I thought about Mario Bros U and I purchased DLC with that one, so my understanding is that DLC purchased with the disk version will not work with the digital version. Not sure, but I also have DLC with Pikmin 3, so that left Zelda Wind Waker. I decided to trade that one in since it does not have DLC. I am still not sure if the save game data will work with the digital version. Anyone know?

Anyway I was able to get about $170 in credit total, so I already have my Mario Kart and 2 copies of Super Smash Bros for 3DS paid for, so I think that was a good deal.

mrkgoo

What about Australia and NZ?

we lump into europe for most things, but it specifically doesn't mention us in the Terms and Conditions.

gabe90

EVERY person here asking what they should get should get Pikmin 3. It's amazing. This coming from someone who never was able to finish the first one.

diaspora

I have 3D World so another Mario platformer is pointless for now. I've got Windwaker since it was bundled, and I don't care for Wii Party. Pikmin is it.

I am seriously struggling to work out which game to get. I might have to buy three copies of the game, register the codes on alt CN accounts and return them. Part of me thinks it's a good idea. Another part thinks it's a dick move.
Folks on hotukdeals seem to have a strange idea that you need a console registration slip to make a Club Nintendo account. Something I could not find reference to on the Club Nintendo site but the amount of times the NOE site has been wrong about things...

Basically if you go down this route register the first one with the alt account (if it fails you can send the other sealed copies back no problem and use that code on your main account).

Thing is from a supply/demand perspective I would not expect to get too much in trade-in value (a number of people will also be doing this and if people want to buy MK8 before July they'll want the code and avoid used). As for the ethics. Having multiple club Nintendo accounts was certainly not intended but you are buying a new copy of Mario Kart 8 and I assume Nintendo have done a cost analysis of this promotion (seeing how cheap some of the games go for too...).

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I already own all the NA games except Wii Party U.... I guess I'll get that, unless one of the other games has high resale value right now.

same. And annoyingly I have most digitally so I can't even trade them in and get them again from the offer.

I think I have nintendoland physically but that is probably worth about 10p trade-in.

Alternatively, see how this actually works, and if you get a code emailed to you, I could pass it on.

Clefargle

I want to take advantage of this deal and get Pikmin 3. Question: I borrowed my bros physic copy and beat it. I only want the digital copy for co-op. Will I lose my single player save data? Or is it possible to access it from the digital version? Thanks in advance

I want to take advantage of this deal and get Pikmin 3. Question: I borrowed my bros physic copy and beat it. I only want the digital copy for co-op. Will I lose my single player save data? Or is it possible to access it from the digital version? Thanks in advance
The data is saved to the console not the disc.

oti

Banned
I was thinking about getting MH3U and give it a second try. But with so many games on my backlog... might as well sell the code for ~20€.

oti

Banned
MH3U is amazing, but it's a serious timesink.

I know, that's what the 8-4 Play guys have been telling since episode 1. I bought it retail when it came out but didn't really "get" the game. I bought that well received ebook guide and everything. Problem was that I had to write exams at that time, after the exams were over more and newer games came out and so on. I unlocked the dessert area I believe though. I was hoping that with this deal more people I know would get the game and we could play and explore it together. But... I have so many other games. :( And Mario Kart!

Folks on hotukdeals seem to have a strange idea that you need a console registration slip to make a Club Nintendo account. Something I could not find reference to on the Club Nintendo site but the amount of times the NOE site has been wrong about things...

You definitely don't need that, one game code is enough. I just created a UK account last week in preparation for this (which is now useless, since Bergsala brought the deal to us here in the Nordic countries).

NZerker12

As someone who has never played pikmin but has played a platinum game.

which of the two should I get?

I played Metal Gear Rising and loved it. Is W101 similar to it?

Top Bottom