• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo : buy Mario Kart 8 on the eShop or retail, get a free game

iratA

Help me Nintendo GAF. So my dilemma is which of the free games to pick? Currently I'm considering one of these: Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate, Zelda Wind Waker or Wonderful 101?

My thoughts:
The Wonderful 101 does seem like fun (played the demo) I'm just not the quickest with my reflexes and although I enjoyed and completed Bayonetta I don't know if I'm up to the challenge of the Wonderful 101?

Monster Hunter 3U looks crazy big and probably represents the best value proposition. My biggest concern is similar to W101 in that I'm wondering how difficult it might end up getting? Is Solo a viable option in MH and how much more difficult might it make the game?

I've never played any version of Wind Waker but it does look rather pretty. Not too concerned about Zelda's Difficulty as I have managed to complete Twilight Princess which I loved. My biggest concern with these old games being remade is they sometimes still feel very dated (they don't age well). Oh and Zelda is a 7+Gb download...ouch. Not sure about the others atm.

Help me Nintendo GAF. So my dilemma is which of the free games to pick? Currently I'm considering one of these: Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate, Zelda Wind Waker or Wonderful 101?

My thoughts:
The Wonderful 101 does seem like fun (played the demo) I'm just not the quickest with my reflexes and although I enjoyed and completed Bayonetta I don't know if I'm up to the challenge of the Wonderful 101?

Monster Hunter 3U looks crazy big and probably represents the best value proposition. My biggest concern is similar to W101 in that I'm wondering how difficult it might end up getting? Is Solo a viable option in MH and how much more difficult might it make the game?

I've never played any version of Wind Waker but it does look rather pretty. Not too concerned about Zelda's Difficulty as I have managed to complete Twilight Princess which I loved. My biggest concern with these old games being remade is they sometimes still feel very dated (they don't age well). Oh and Zelda is a 7+Gb download...ouch. Not sure about the others atm.
Monster Hunter is definitely the best value for "money" if you spend the time required to learn and understand the game. It might be off-putting at first but if you like a challenge and can get used to the timing the weapons require it's potentially one of the best games you'll ever play. I bought my WiiU for it, no regrets. Lots of people play it solo but the fun does multiply when playing with friends (or when you get lucky with strangers).

Hypron

My thoughts:

The wonderful 101 really isn't that hard. The continue system is really permissive as well. The game has got a LOT of content (even more so than bayonetta) so even if MH has the edge, TW101 definitely holds its own.

As someone who has never played pikmin but has played a platinum game.

which of the two should I get?

I played Metal Gear Rising and loved it. Is W101 similar to it?

It doesn't play the same (although it shares some gameplay mechanics like dodge offset). If you liked how batshit crazy Metal Gear Rising got though, you'll love TW101. This game gets more and more insane as its goes along. The only game I've played that's even more OTT it Asura's Wrath (and gameplay wise it's nowhere near as good as TW101).

Raxus

Is it possible to claim more than one game with multiple copies. It is really tempting to get both Pikman and Zelda with this deal.

popyea

My thoughts:

This obviously represents my own tastes, but my two most played games on the Wii U are the first two you mentioned. Wind Waker is probably the Wii U game I liked the least. Kinda fun initially, but I was pretty happy when it ended. Whereas W101 and Monster Hunter are two games I put hundreds of hours into and still feel like going back to whenever I think about them. I think if you're worried about how hard w101 is, it's much easier than Bayonetta in my mind. There's much less of an execution barrier when it comes to advanced techniques. You learn the one skill and then you just do whatever you can think of.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
I still can't believe Nintendo's giving away a free game if you purchase Mariokart. I mean, that's a game every U owner should've already been buying!

Looking forward to giving Pikmin 3 another shot.
NSMBU or sonic lost world?

Having played both I'd go NSMBU. I didn't like Sonic LW. Felt like amateur hour after playing 3D World.

Is it possible to claim more than one game with multiple copies. It is really tempting to get both Pikman and Zelda with this deal.
One copy per club Nintendo account. Here in Europe you can only register one physical copy of the game per account so the caveat is more if you both registered a physical one a digital download.

Assess how much you would lose making a second account and selling the excess Mario Kart. I imagine demand for used, code-less copies is not going to be that great during the promotion window which will hit the price.

Qurupeke

Nice, the offer is officially up on Greece too, like the Scandinavian counties, despite not being a member of the Club Nintendo.

Also, I decided to go for Pikmin but eventually I'll get TW101 too. Both are great games, that's for sure.

NeoRausch

If you have company, Game & Wario is a really good time. It's lasting quality alone is pretty low.

Sonic Lost World is a mixed bag for many. Me personally, I liked it, but a lot of people didn't. If you get it for free you get a pretty alright platformer.

thanks! in going with Game & Wario.

NeoRausch

Australian Wii U store says 7+Gb when I go to buy the Game. Different regions?

obviously this game is more then three times bigger in Australia then anywhere else. that's why you pay more!

no idea why they claim that in the shop. strange!
It's 1792 MB

iratA

obviously this game is more then three times bigger in Australia then anywhere else. that's why you pay more!

no idea why they claim that in the shop. strange!

Wait a sec. Going to recheck this now since everyone seems so sure its only 2Gb or so.

iratA

Ok my bad it is only 2467.5 MB

So this what it feels like to make a dick of yourself on the internet. :-(

EDIT: Also I found out what was 7+GB download that I saw. Its Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate 7021.6 MB

MicH

Nice, the offer is officially up on Greece too, like the Scandinavian counties, despite not being a member of the Club Nintendo.

Also, I decided to go for Pikmin but eventually I'll get TW101 too. Both are great games, that's for sure.
That's awesome. NoE spreading the love

flowsnake

Ok my bad it is only 2467.5 MB

So this what it feels like to make a dick of yourself on the internet. :-(

EDIT: Also I found out what was 7+GB download that I saw. Its Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate 7021.6 MB

Let's start again then. I guess you can't install that on the built in HDD of the 8GB Basic. :)

iratA

Let's start again then. I guess you can't install that on the built in HDD of the 8GB Basic. :)

Not sure, honestly. Still new to this myself :) It tells you when you go into the eshop how much space is available on your system. I've got the premium and it says I've got about 21Gb free.

Just letting any Australians know that have pre-ordered MK8 with ozgameshop... I emailed them asking if the code would work to download the free game (being English copies and all) and they emailed back saying "this should be the Australian stock".

Sinistral

I play the WiiU with company quite a bit, most often it is with my niece(8) and nephew(6). But sometimes their parents too. Which one would you recommend?

Game & Wario
Sonic Lost World
Mario & Sonic Olympic
Wii Party U

I already own the rest.Thanks!

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
Can't believe NA have a lot less games to offer than EU. Wtf Reggie? For all the praise you get, you'd think you would give us more choices.

It is too bad I own 80% of the game offered. Oh well, I really wanted to try Wii U Party so it works out for me. For new users, go for Pikmin 3 because it is amazing!

I play the WiiU with company quite a bit, most often it is with my niece(8) and nephew(6). But sometimes their parents too. Which one would you recommend?

Game & Wario
Sonic Lost World
Mario & Sonic Olympic
Wii Party U

I already own the rest.Thanks!
Game and Wario is really short, so I would say no.
Lost World is a mixed bag, so as a Sonic fan, no.
I would say either of the last 2. I hear better MP from Wii Party U. However, you get a free Wiimote for Sonic. Mario and Sonic I am enjoying, but I skipped the first three. Go for Kart (get Wii Party free) and then Sonic. You get 100 for 3 games, and a wiimote.

hwy_61

Banned
thats what she said

p5rqP.gif

MilesTeg

Banned
Haven't played Pikmin 3 (I did play 1+2), haven't played WWHD but I've played through the original multiple times (I love it). I played WW about a year ago.

So which one to choose? Is the 1080p + changes worth picking a game I've beat multiple times over a game that I haven't played before?

ozfunghi

Mmmmh Pikmin 3 or W101?

Whichever you pick, just buy the other game yourself. But if you're asking which game is better, then Pikmin3. Check retail prices for both games, and decide then, pick the cheaper game up regardless.

Haven't played Pikmin 3 (I did play 1+2), haven't played WWHD but I've played through the original multiple times (I love it). I played WW about a year ago.

So which one to choose? Is the 1080p + changes worth picking a game I've beat multiple times over a game that I haven't played before?

Pikmin 3 is better than 1+2 combined IMO (and i already loved those). If you've beaten WW multiple times already, i'd go for P3 which is a completely new (and lovely) game. Or buy P3 retail and get WW for free.

I'm a disgruntled American who already has NSMBU, Pikmin 3 and Wind Waker HD, and absolutely no interest (and few couch-gaming friends) to play Wii Party U.

I'm thinking my best choice is to see which of my 3 owned games is selling for the most on eBay, and replace it with a digital version.

I'm a disgruntled American who already has NSMBU, Pikmin 3 and Wind Waker HD, and absolutely no interest (and few couch-gaming friends) to play Wii Party U.

I'm thinking my best choice is to see which of my 3 owned games is selling for the most on eBay, and replace it with a digital version.

Since the unlock will be in the form of a code (like the game codes given away for 3DS XL a while back) you could keep your physicals and just sell the code in the BST thread or elsewhere.

AdanVC

Guys, I have a question. Can I give away the code I will have once I get MK8 to somebody from the US even if I bought MK8 in Mexico? I say this because I live in Mexico and unfortunately Club Nintendo doesn't exist here to register for the free game (sigh).

Top Bottom