• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo confirms Metroid: Samus Returns’ Fusion mode can only be unlocked by amiibo

Plum

It'll certainly do more than going along with it. This is the first time they're showing and telling you that they have no problem locking standard features behind Amiibo DLC. It's not going to change unless people make it clear to them that they don't want this shit in their games. People may their voices clear enough with on disc DLC as well as season passes last gen and they eventually went away. As of now with Amiibo DLC we've had people either pretending it wasn't DLC or just making excuses for it because at the time it was small content and not anything that someone would consider substantial. But that's all led to this. Now it's a difficulty mode. For the next Smash it may be an entire character.

I'd agree if this were Mario Odyssey or Splatoon 2 people were boycotting. Metroid has a history of not selling well, so if another game doesn't sell well Nintendo isn't going to see it as enough of an anomaly to take a step back and look at things. They'll just see it as another case of Metroid not selling well and, instead of evaluating their position on Amiibo, they'll evaluate whether Metroid is a worthwhile series to pump money into in the now-fully-HD future.

Already done all three. Nothing will change unless it hurts Nintendo's bottom line, and I'm telling them why I'm hurting their bottom line so they make damn sure they know.

I highly doubt the head team at Nintendo of Japan will ever notice one guy making a few tweets at the Nintendo of America months before Samus Returns' release date. All they'll notice is the sales figures at the end of the Fiscal Year.

Seik

Banned
Why is it that no one causesd a shit storm when in splatoon 1, amiibos locked full challenge modes behind amiibos?

I think that's because Amiibo were still a new novelty back then, so people just gobbled it, me included. :lol

Fiendcode

ftfy
Having to pay for a hard mode is not acceptable in the slightest.
I was looking for a new metroid game, but I don't support such shitty behavior. You want to blame me for not supporting Metroid How about you blame that shitty greedy company.
I don't mind paying for it tbh. I did for BOTW too.

NSESN

The best way is not to buy the game and the amiibo while making a shitstorm on social media.

The problem is that relies on the luck of the media and the public supporting the shitstorm.
And Nintendo almost never listen to shitstorms. It is not a question of defending Nintendo, but being reasonable. You can't solve all problems doing shitstorms.

yuoke

Banned
It was additional Singleplayer stuff in a Multiplayer focused game.

This is a difficulty level.
That was also a difficulty level. You played through the entire single player mode, except with challenges, different weapons, etc that made it harder. It's the same thing.

spectator

This is a system unselling-level awful decision. I've been on the fence about buying a 3DS and Metroid has been bringing me closer to a decision. This move has fully made that decision for me. If getting feature-complete software is going to require buying little plastic trinkets that I'll probably never be able to actually find at retail anyway, forget the whole enterprise.

How many Amiibo sales does it take to make up for one lost 3DS customer (who is now also that much more wary about the prospect of buying a Switch)?

nynt9

The practice is baked into the game. Not buying the amiibo is good, but the game is inherently crippled because of this, and not buying the game because it's a shitty way to sell your game is ok too.

Of course Nintendo would pull this shit with Metroid, where the fanbase is especially starved. Oh well, I guess I'll just buy the game used.

HardRojo

Well, there it is. Fucking hell Nintendo, why you gotta do this with Metroid? Do it with Fire Emblem if you want, but not with Metroid. This is so stupid.

Asd202

The problem is that relies on the luck of the media and the public supporting the shitstorm.
And Nintendo almost never listen to shitstorms. It is not a question of defending Nintendo, but being reasonable. You can't solve all problems doing shitstorms.

Then this problem is unsolvable until Nintendo will suffer financially.

Servbot24

Banned
Why is it that no one causesd a shit storm when in splatoon 1, amiibos locked full challenge modes behind amiibos?

a. Are you asking this to justify the Metroid situation?

b. Presumably because Splatoon was a brand new franchise and people weren't attached to it and therefore weren't as likely to be upset about the scumminess.

OCD Guy

I'd say single player content is worse than a difficulty level.

Ultimately though the only acceptable thing amiibos should unlock is cosmetic. I'd be ok with that.

Anything else isn't right unless they make it available to buy on the eshop.

Chauzu

I'm still pissed at Nintendo for that actually, but everytime I brought it up, the defense force was on my tail.

It just wasn't as bad as this. In the end all content locking with amiibo is bad, but up until now Nintendo has made sure it hasn't derailed from the full game experience. I'm afraid the success of amiibo, and the wish from the people who have wanted amiibo to have more in game use, has lead to this. Hopefully we can send a message to Nintendo this is one step too far.

Oberon

Banned
So for people without the 3DS that scans Amiibo, they're shit out of luck or have to get a dongle as well as a physical fucking figure?

Worst practice in the entire industry, well done 'Ninty'.

OMG, I forgot about this. So even If I did buy all of this, it wouldn't do shit

gogogow

It'll certainly do more than going along with it. This is the first time they're showing and telling you that they have no problem locking standard features behind Amiibo DLC. It's not going to change unless people make it clear to them that they don't want this shit in their games. People may their voices clear enough with on disc DLC as well as season passes last gen and they eventually went away. As of now with Amiibo DLC we've had people either pretending it wasn't DLC or just making excuses for it because at the time it was small content and not anything that someone would consider substantial. But that's all led to this. Now it's a difficulty mode. For the next Smash it may be an entire character.

Since when did season passes went away? COD still has it, BF, WD2, UC4, FO4, AC Origins etc. Plenty of games still have season passes.

I'm just gonna straight up look into using those flash card things. Switch is my first Nintendo console since Gamecube and was partly on the fence due to this kinda shit. Like, I recently finished BOTW and legitimately was curious about what kind of amibo DLC there was. Turns out lots, locked behind sold out amibo being sold on by third parties for £100. I'm fine for paying more but that's ridiculous. Not even considering I don't want plastic tat cluttering up my house

RPGam3r

If one is bad they are both bad. It is more content locked behind physical DLC.

You either have a message and principles or you do not.

yuoke

Banned
They won't ever suffer finanacially, so everyone here boycotting this game should boycott every game going forward if they REALLY want to send a message.

NEO0MJ

God damn it. This is why the Amiibo stuff should be offered as regular DLC, especially for something like this. I don't care if it might harm Amiibo sales, I'm not going to collect boxes of these stuff.

gelf

I've generally been pretty forgiving of DLC practices but I just can't support tying features like this to a physical product that all past history suggests will be very difficult to even obtain for most people in addition to being vastly overpriced if all you want is the extra mode and not the lump of plastic you get with it.

If Nintendo take the wrong message from any boycott on this then so be it. Metroid likes are not a genre where it's a struggle to find similar games these days.

Ydelnae

I still don't get what could be a problem with offering amiibo exclusive features as DLC until they figure out how to competently release these figurines without rising an uproar everytime a new one goes on sale.

If you are going to lock a meaningful feature behind the purchase of another product, at least make sure people can actually buy that other product. I hope the day comes that they overship the amiibo, nobody buys them and the stores return the stock to them.

Kouriozan

So they finally did it...
Was a question of time and it's still disappointing, where everyone went into microtransactions, Nintendo went into physical DLC impossible to find at retail.

Chauzu

I'm just gonna straight up look into using those flash card things. Switch is my first Nintendo console since Gamecube and was partly on the fence due to this kinda shit. Like, I recently finished BOTW and legitimately was curious about what kind of amibo DLC there was. Turns out lots, locked behind sold out amibo being sold on by third parties for £100. I'm fine for paying more but that's ridiculous. Not even considering I don't want plastic tat cluttering up my house

At least the content locked in Zelda amiibos are mostly cosmetic and are of the kind never seen in a Zelda before, so we didn't get a lesser experience than what we normally would from a Zelda game. Metroid not having a hard mode available without buying it extra is a huge step back tho.

Well, there it is. Fucking hell Nintendo, why you gotta do this with Metroid? Do it with Fire Emblem if you want, but not with Metroid. This is so stupid.

It was only at E3 that we felt so incredibly lucky to have two Metroid games announced on the same day. It obviously had to have a catch.

Amiibos should be used to unlock trivial stuff like extra costumes or maybe an extra item or such, but anything that drastically alters the play experience should never be unlocked by a stupid plastic toy.

13ruce

Banned
Honestly things like this i always hated the whole concept and how the corperate world works. But what can ya do about it.

But i am not going to skip the game. I waited years and nearly cried tears of joys when 2 metroid games wert announced in a single day.

There is no pure good big company they are all money based and evil since they want to generate as much as possible, without any care about customers.

This is exactly why i care more about the devs at the companies that make the games i love then the corperate part of it. Those devs atleast can still put passion in games and are not entirely money gain focused.

And besides i can boycott all i want but they will give no single fuck anyway. If you really still want the game i advice buying it second hand.

And btw i am on the fuck the locked content amiibo side even while i own some. This ig why i am fine with people "pirating" the amiibo content.

sphinx

the piano man
hhmm one question.

are there "amiibo cards" sold for cheap for people who want the DLC but don't want to pay full price for a figurine??

I think I saw animal crossing cards ins stores..

oti

Banned
That was also a difficulty level. You played through the entire single player mode, except with challenges, different weapons, etc that made it harder. It's the same thing.
To me it's not. I played through the Singleplayer in Splatoon, started Multiplayer and never looked back. Didn't care enough for it to even consider getting the amiibo.
I'd say single player content is worse than a difficulty level.

Ultimately though the only acceptable thing amiibos should unlock is cosmetic. I'd be ok with that.

Anything else isn't right unless they make it available to buy on the eshop.
Amiibo are always a strange thing. No substantial unlock and it's worthless, too substantial of an unlock and it's a pain. Striking the right balance sure isn't easy.
If one is bad they are both bad. It is more content locked behind physical DLC.

You either have a message and principles or you do not.
I don't have a message and principles.

Shiggy

Not buying the game doesn't show nintendo that people don't support amiibos. It shows them people don't support metroid. No that's not that guilttripping, it's reality.

NCL won't draw any conclusions from people not buying amiibo either. They are completely detached from Western market realities (see the online system of Switch for example).

FinalAres

I just don't see the issue, beyond it being optional overpriced DLC.

It's not a crucial part of the game as it was designed, it's an extra, we know this otherwise it would have been included.

It costs 15$ which is kind of lots but you also get a fusion suit which is cool. It's just expensive dlc. Which is actually all dlc. Plus you get a dorky statue.

Surely the issue is just supply concerns.

They should give an option for this for 10$ without the statue.

J@hranimo

Banned
It's always ok to vote with your wallet. You should never let a corporation hold you hostage.

Except it doesnt seem alright. For one thing, I don't want this game to flop if its otherwise great. I want more 2d metroid, and this fails, nintendo will only see that it flopped due to lack of interest in the series.

BOYCOTTING WON'T STOP AMIIBOS

I don't know how people don't get this or think boycotting will change the amiibo situation at all. All you are doing is helping to stop metroid.

Yeah see this is exactly the opinion A and B of my post. It's like I want to get a new 2D Metroid, but as cool as the Amiibo are I'm not really feeling the implementation. I never buy Amiibo for their game functionality though...

Then don't buy the amiibo and enjoy the game as-is. Best of both worlds.

That's an actual message worth sending. "People buy the game, but they don't buy the figure." More so than "people don't buy Metroid-anything, I guess we shouldn't bother."

I think I'll go with this. Still want to get the game, but....gonna have to cancel my amiibo preorder. Sigh.

test_account

XP-39C²
Well, that sucks as an original 3DS owner
That is a good point. If you have the original 3DS, you need to buy a NFC scanner for the Amiibo. Thats about $20. Of course it can be used for more than one game in spefic, but if you only want this mode in Metroid in particular, it can be quite a pricey DLC.

NSESN

That's why I think boycotting the amiibos is the correct way. Or make a shitstorm about the amiibos in general not just this game, because if it is not about Nintendo biggest franchises Nintendo will blame the game and not the toys.

RPGam3r

God damn it. This is why the Amiibo stuff should be offered as regular DLC, especially for something like this. I don't care if it might harm Amiibo sales, I'm not going to collect boxes of these stuff.

I'm onboard with this approach. The amiibo will sell out anyway, so this lets everyone have access to the mode.

Dierce

hhmm one question.

are there "amiibo cards" sold for cheap for people who want the DLC but don't want to pay full price for a figurine??

I think I saw animal crossing cards ins stores..

Amiibos are simply figurines with NTAG215 NFC chips. I don't condone piracy but it's no wonder why people do it when it comes to Nintendo.

Mr Swine

Banned
Ugh, don't boycott Metroid, boycott Amiibo instead. I don't want this to flop and have to wait another 8 years for a Metroid game

OCD Guy

Amiibo are always a strange thing. No substantial unlock and it's worthless too substantial of an unlock and it's a pain. Striking the right balance sure isn't easy.

I know what you mean, although I think amiibos would still sell if they had zero content tied to them.

It would be interesting to know what the driving force is behind people who buy amiibos. Is it the figurine, the dlc, both? Would they buy amiibo if there were zero unlocks in games?

Nintendo seem to like sending surveys out so maybe they know something we don't. If they think dlc is what drives the sales of amiibo it explains the pattern here.

Servbot24

Banned
Ugh, don't boycott Metroid, boycott Amiibo instead. I don't want this to flop and have to wait another 8 years for a Metroid game

I'm not boycotting. I'm not buying a product that's not worth it because they stripped half the play time out of the game.

yuoke

Banned
We literally have the ability to send direct written messages to Nintendo.
A tiny percentage of people on gaf whining on twitter won't change anything. Metroid isn't going to ever start some kind of major response with like hudnreds of thousands or anywhere enough to cause something like amiibos to end. The only thing that will end amiibos is the bottom line financially not looking good.

Top Bottom