• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo confirms Metroid: Samus Returns’ Fusion mode can only be unlocked by amiibo

Maximo

And if I buy it, it tells Nintendo that this shit is okay. That people don't care about the locked content and they can continue to push this shit into other games.

*Don't buy from shirty developers/publishers that try to pull bad practices, but also could you buy this game from my favorite franchise so there Is a small sliver of a chance we might get more?"

Same shit that always pops up people are willing to overlook a publisher no matter how shitty if its to do with a franchise they love, personally would rather let a franchise I loved outright die if they kept pulling shady shit. See it often with Japanese developers porting bad and in some cases embarrassing ports to Steam *Yeah its not the best but maybe next time they will care!* Fuuuuck that.

Then you can't complain if/when Metroid goes on another decade-long hiatus because that's all boycotting Samus Returns will do.

Sure I will. I will complain that Nintendo is a fuckin greedy company who ruined their latest game with that shit. Sure I can complain, I'm a consumer. I PAY. Should I be grateful and kiss Nintendo's feet ? No way.

yuoke

Banned
*Don't buy from shirty developers/publishers that try to pull bad practices, but also could you buy this game from my favorite franchise so there Is a small sliver of a chance we might get more?"

Same shit that always pops up people are willing to overlook a publisher no matter how shitty if its to do with a franchise they love, personally would rather let a franchise I loved outright die if they kept pulling shady shit.
Not buying the game doesn't stop the amiibos at all. Not buying the amiibos stops the amiibos.

OCD Guy

How many people are buying 3DS games nowadays? As shitty as this is I don't think the fraction of people that want to play the extra difficulty are that much bigger than the amiibo stock.

You think they're not going to do this shit with the Switch version?

This amiibo dlc is going to get worse. It's a matter of time before the content locked behind it becomes more worthwhile....

I'm not against amiibo themselves, but I'm against dlc not being available to everyone through the eshop, and I can't understand it from a business point of view. Surely by making the content available on the eshop as well as it being something you get "free" with amiibo will earn them more money?

Plum

Sure I will. I will complain that Nintendo is a fuckin greedy company who ruined their latest game with that shit. Sure I can complain, I'm a consumer. I PAY. Should I be grateful and kiss Nintendo's feet ? No way.

Nope, but you do need to realize that boycotting the game will do jack shit to stop Nintendo's terrible Amiibo practices.

Devil

They started so well. I own zero amiibos and have been perfectly fine with how they are implemented for those who do. With some exceptions I only heard of from message boards like Mario Party 8.

But this will be the first time I actually want that game and content and think it should be in the game for free. Very disappointed.

They can fuck off with that sort of stuff.

Ms.Galaxy

I can't defend this IF it is all true.

People here are desparate for this series to stay alive after no 2d metroid for 13 years. These aren't nintendo reps. You have to understand. If you don't get samus returns, nintendo isnt going to see that it's because of the amiibos.

And you have to understand that people like me who loves Metroid, also hates this greedy amiibo shit usage and we care more about our principles than the series. I do not want this shit to spread into other games, and I'm voting with my wallet on this one. I refuse to purchase this. Not purchasing amiibo isn't going to do jack shit when Nintendo has it limited and scalpers buy a good chunk of the inventory. Rather the game do terribly and not release another Metroid game for a decade than allow this disgusting practice continue.

yuoke

Banned
Nope, but you do need to realize that boycotting the game will do jack shit to stop Nintendo's terrible Amiibo practices.
It's like people have comphrension issues or something just for this situation. I don't understand the logic of how they think boycotting the game will end amiibos.

Anyone that boycotts this should just boycott nintendo as a whole. Amiibos will only be more and more infused to games

zelhawks37

Im usually defending Nintendo, but not this time. This is straight up garbage. The Metroid Prime trilogy had the difficulty feature for free!

Maximo

Not buying the game doesn't stop the amiibos at all. Not buying the amiibos stops the amiibos.

That is fine if you believe that but not buying the game while also responding why via Social Media is a bigger impact, this is tied to the game itself a decision that would have had to go through Nintendo's approval, once again this is not the worst example of a publisher but I sure as hell vote with my wallet, everyone has a choice and everyone has their own breaking point, some just let it get swept under the rug.

Think about all of that BOTW content locked behind very hard to get amiibos.

Makes those amiibo flashcard things more and more understandable in my opinion. Nintendo continues to lock away content THAT IS ALREADY ON THE CART behind limited production toys.

I'm tired of having to keep preorder alerts up for Nintendo products just to be able to give them money for their games.

If you're not gonna buy the game because of this, at the very least write a message on Nintendo's social media telling them you won't be buying it because of their shitty business practices. Otherwise the message you're sending is that you just don't want a Metroid game.

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
If you're not gonna buy the game because of this, at the very least write a message on Nintendo's social media telling them you won't be buying it because of their shitty business practices. Otherwise the message you're sending is that you just don't want a Metroid game.

I agree with this sentiment.

5 years ago the notion was laughable, but today it seems to correctly speak in measures.

yuoke

Banned
And you have to understand that people like me who loves Metroid, also hates this greedy amiibo shit usage and we care more about our principles than the series. I do not want this shit to spread into other games, and I'm voting with my wallet on this one. I refuse to purchase this. Not purchasing amiibo isn't going to do jack shit when Nintendo has it limited and scalpers buy a good chunk of the inventory. Rather the game do terribly and not release another Metroid game for a decade than allow this disgusting practice continue.
This shit is going to be in other games whether this game flops or not...hate to break it you.

Other metroid games have sold bad before. It's not like this would be the first to sell bad and make nintendo assume it was due to amiibos. They will just assume its due to lack of interest in metroid.

Y'all could not buy the game.

However, there's an alternative that might sound crazy....

How about you buy the game, but not the amiibo? That way, you can play the game while still using your wallets to tell Nintendo how you feel about the difficulty being behind a pay wall.

Oberon

Banned
So dumb. Hopefully there's enough negative press for them to offer a FREE dlc option instead.

ftfy
Having to pay for a hard mode is not acceptable in the slightest.
I was looking for a new metroid game, but I don't support such shitty behavior. You want to blame me for not supporting Metroid How about you blame that shitty greedy company.

I don't really care about hard mode, but this sets a bad precedent moving forward. We need to complain enough for Nintendo to notice.

I'm sure they'll come to their senses.

The Cowboy

Just under three years and now they've finally decided for me that I need to get 100 NFC tags. Fine by me, no more money for them if this is the way they want more of my money.
Thinking of doing the same mate, it seems easy enough to set them up (from reading up on it) - I'm getting fed up with content being locked to little (pricey) things I don't want.

Ms.Galaxy

This shit is going to be in other games whether this game flops or not...hate to break it you.

Other metroid games have sold bad before. It's not like this would be the first to sell bad and make nintendo assume it was due to amiibos. They will just assume its due to lack of interest in metroid.

That's your view, this is mine. If this shit continues, fine by me. I don't support these business practices, so I will continue not buying these games.

NSESN

So dumb. Hopefully there's enough negative press for them to offer a paid dlc option instead.

I doubt they will unless the game bomb, but even then it will depend if they recognize the reason, or the amiibo bomb.

Now that I can agree with

gogogow

"Fortunately" the old Smash Bros. Metroid amiibos works too. On the other hand this is not good practise. Like I said before at least allow people to buy the dlc for a fee from the eShop. But a hard mode should be part of the game (for free). Weird choice by Nintendo for this one.

Plum

Yeah, at the very least do that. Though I still don't think it'll make a difference; Nintendo still being asswipes when it comes to Youtube should show how effective social media backlash is. The Japanese-speaking head honchos are a lot more likely to base their decisions on their quarterly sales figures than some negative English tweets months before Samus Returns even releases.

yuoke

Banned
I don't really care about hard mode, but this sets a bad precedent moving forward. We need to complain enough for Nintendo to notice.

I'm sure they'll come to their senses.
They'll come to their sense when amiibos stop selling gangbusters...which will never happen. Some hundreds complaining on gaf won't end this.

Cue theresdozensofus.gif

RPGam3r

ftfy
Having to pay for a hard mode is not acceptable in the slightest.
I was looking for a new metroid game, but I don't support such shitty behavior. You want to blame me for not supporting Metroid How about you blame that shitty greedy company.

Nintendo already paved this path with BotW. Plenty of people accepted it already.

It'll certainly do more than going along with it. This is the first time they're showing and telling you that they have no problem locking standard features behind Amiibo DLC. It's not going to change unless people make it clear to them that they don't want this shit in their games. People may their voices clear enough with on disc DLC as well as season passes last gen and they eventually went away. As of now with Amiibo DLC we've had people either pretending it wasn't DLC or just making excuses for it because at the time it was small content and not anything that someone would consider substantial. But that's all led to this. Now it's a difficulty mode. For the next Smash it may be an entire character.

oti

Banned
How many people are buying 3DS games nowadays? As shitty as this is I don't think the fraction of people that want to play the extra difficulty are that much bigger than the amiibo stock.

Could be. Still, causing this kind of stress for people who want to buy your product is just awful. Utterly unnecessary and plain awful.

Shiggy

How about you buy the game, but not the amiibo? That way, you can play the game while still using your wallets to tell Nintendo how you feel about the difficulty being behind a pay wall.

People can choose to boycott the game if they don't want to support these DLC practices.

Don't forget guys. We literally begged Nintendo for a proper Metroid for awhile now... I really don't get where all the hostility is coming from, or why "Fusion Mode" is even being called "Hard Mode". Fusion is the easiest game in the entire series. And dont forget. The only way you could unlock the Fusion Suit in the original Metroid Prime, was buy owning Fusion, a GBA and a special cable. This is nothing compared to that. The majority of you probably already own the Smash Amiibo. And if you truely call yourselves Metroid fans, you would want the others as well. Just saying.

lol

Asd202

The best way is not to buy the game and the amiibo while making a shitstorm on social media.

Fuck!!

I will get the Metroid Amiibo because it's cool, but I have the old 3ds and I cannot make use of it unless i buy another shitty accessory

Well... Screw the Fusion suit. I wonder how nintendo feels when considering they wasted time and money developing a hard more with a different suit, that only a few people will make use of it

I doubt they care, they make this dlc to sell the amiibo, and you can bet it's gonna sold out and Nintendo already go their money.

Sadist

I was planning on buying the Samus Amiibo because it looks cool, but not anymore. This is the scummy stuff we don't want Nintendo.

_Ryo_

At least you can sell the amiibo, you can't sell the DLC :/

Not really an advantage when you are paying more for it in the first place than you would regular DLC, IF you can even find it anywhere once they are sold out. By the way, regular DLC does not sell out.

Seik

Banned
"Fortunately" the old Smash Bros. Metroid amiibos works too. On the other hand this is not good practise. Like I said before at least allow people to buy the dlc for a fee from the eShop. But a hard mode should be part of the game (for free). Weird choice by Nintendo for this one.

The Smash Amiibo only unlock an art gallery, which is shit.

I was ok with the concept at first since all the Amiibo from a same character had the same features, but now they're starting to lock specific shit to specific Amiibo, which is crossing the line.

I checked because all I have are Smash Amiibo.

I'm definitely buying the game though, but not a single Amiibo and I'll let Nintendo know on the social media.

yuoke

Banned
People can choose to boycott the game if they don't want to support these DLC practices.

lol
Not buying the game doesn't show nintendo that people don't support amiibos. It shows them people don't support metroid. No that's not that guilttripping, it's reality.

Ms.Galaxy

The best way is not to buy the game and the amiibo while making a shitstorm on social media.

Already done all three. Nothing will change unless it hurts Nintendo's bottom line, and I'm telling them why I'm hurting their bottom line so they make damn sure they know.

Not really an advantage when you are paying more for it in the first place than you would regular DLC, IF you can even find it anywhere once they are sold out. By the way, regular DLC does not sell out.

Dlc can be pulled or have its license expire and no longer be available or the digital store front may stop being accessible, that isn't something that can happen with Amiibo fwiw

yuoke

Banned
Why is it that no one causesd a shit storm when in splatoon 1, amiibos locked full challenge modes behind amiibos?

Maximo

Not buying the game doesn't show nintendo that people don't support amiibos. It shows them people don't support metroid. No that's not that guilttripping, it's reality.

Then im happy to let the franchise die cause sure as hell companies don't seem to learn.

So for people without the 3DS that scans Amiibo, they're shit out of luck or have to get a dongle as well as a physical fucking figure?

Worst practice in the entire industry, well done 'Ninty'.

I keep forgetting that they decided to put one of the worst uses of Amiibo on the system that didn't even have a NFC reader originally.

Top Bottom