• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo & DeNA's First Mobile Game Reveal Coming "Soon", "Expect the Unexpected"

Boney

Banned
Mario will most definately be the first mobile game they release. The question is, what are they doing with it? Easy answer would be an sideways auto runner like the NSMB2 stages but would that hold people's attention? Probably not

Draxal

Yeah, don't think Pikmin is the big IP hat they want to lead this off with, unless that's the surprise.

If it's a small IP it could be a pushmo/blox iteration.

I'm HOPING it's F-Zero, tbh. Just, you know, to make some money in F-Zero's name- I feel like that'd be a good thing for the longevity of the series.

-Stryder-

Nintendo might just release something close to smart glass that connects to Wii U or something half assed and disappointing (disappointing because we're all getting our hopes up for something more than what it will actually be).

D

Deleted member 465307

Unconfirmed Member
So Pikmin 4 since it's almost complete... ;)

I don't think I'd want to play a touch-based Pikmin 4 on anything smaller than a tablet screen. However, since Nintendo's whole initiative was about making games specifically for mobile (and not just porting), I think that means I have nothing to worry about when it comes to controlling their games on my phone.

I have a iPod Touch with iOS6, so I expect for it to not work on my device. So the only unexpected thing would be it working, which won't happen. :(

The first thing Nintendo needs with mobile is to get their loyal fanbase to be vocal advocates of the brand.

...which means they have to tread an interesting line - it can't be too removed from what their fans consider a "Nintendo-quality" game or it will be condemned as "mobile shit", but if it looks like they've thrown all their talent and weight behind it it might be taken as a "Nintendo abandoning dedicated hardware" move if fans perceive the new title as being something that "should have" been on a dedicated platform.

I'd guess new/dormant IP with a gimmick or playstyle that clearly fits mobile and doesn't tread on any toes with their traditional handheld or home titles.

On one hand, this makes sense.

On the other, "leveraging brand power" and using Pikmin are kind of the opposite.
But Miyamoto has been trying to increase the popularity/awareness of Pikmin by shoving it in things like 3ds transfer animations and Nintendoland. Next step? Mobile.

Red Devil

Nintendo might just release something close to smart glass that connects to Wii U or something half assed and disappointing (disappointing because we're all getting our hopes up for something more than what it will actually be).

Right, even if unexpected I don't think this will be a big deal, kind of like Pokémon GO was announced with all the blows and whistles but meh.

Maximus.

Looking forward to a game with a ton of micro transactions and timers!

I really hope that the game is legit and fun! Maybe Nintendo/DeNA together will make a mobile game I will enjoy.

Zalman

On one hand, this makes sense.

On the other, "leveraging brand power" and using Pikmin are kind of the opposite.
If they really want to go for the brand power thing, they should make something that features characters from all their franchises. Basically something like to Smash Bros. that works well on mobile.

Million dollar idea: Nintendo Hearthstone

Oddish1

I could easily see Animal Crossing fitting well on mobile. It could also be a new IP created specifically for mobile.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
F-zero is like the worst idea ever for a mobile game. And any mobile racing game is rather an unhappy compromise.

It's probably not going to be like a console game. I doubt Pikmin, F-zero, or metroid.
It's likely not a new IP since that would kind of defeat the purpose.

Yep. "Expect the unexpected" likely means a twist on a familiar franchise.

I think it's more that people are expecting a straightforward game and from what I gathered from how Iwata spoke about their mobile strategy, it's going to be more of an all-encompassing MiiVerse, Mii Maker, marketing material Nintendo app with a lot of game elements.

SUPER MARIO PLAYER

Play the easiest levels from Super Mario Maker on your smart phone.

The Mario Maker editor would be a lot more suitable for a touch screen. But it wouldn't work so well when you can't test the level as you're making it.

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
Super mario player where you play the super mario maker maps
why they arent releasing an editor for mario maker (but you need the game to play em) is beyond me. make it free. play testing would be an issue, maybe make it save only

Nightbird

What about Animal Crossing?
The IP would work on mobile and is big right now.
It can also work as advertisement for Happy Home Designer

Top Bottom