• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Downloads - February 2013

hongcha

Announced on tonight's Nintendo Direct, the following two games will be released next week (2/27) on the Japanese 3DS VC:

Zelda Oracle of Ages (Gameboy Color) - 500 yen (until March 20, 600 yen after)
Zelda Oracle of Seasons (Gameboy Color) - 500 yen (until March 20, 600 yen after)

m0t0k1

What are the differences between OoA and OoS? Is it worth playing both of them?

Different world and different dungeons, different NPC's, Different girl to save OOS DIN in OOA Nayru. Different weapons to use. Seasons is more action focused and Ages is more puzzle focused. so pretty much everything.

Announced on tonight's Nintendo Direct, the following two games will be released next week (2/27) on the Japanese 3DS VC:

Zelda Oracle of Ages (Gameboy Color) - 500 yen (until March 20, 600 yen after)
Zelda Oracle of Seasons (Gameboy Color) - 500 yen (until March 20, 600 yen after)

I'm willing to bet we'll get it next week too, and they couldn't be bothered to make an announcement amongst all the cool definitely Japan-only stuff.

What are the differences between OoA and OoS? Is it worth playing both of them?

In addition to what m0t0k1 said, when you beat one of the games, you get a password. Starting the other game with this password will change the story slightly (NPCs of the first game will "visit" you in the new world and some additional scenes appear).
Additonally, after beating the 2nd game, the true ending will be unlocked.

And you can go back to the previous game to do more stuff, too. Linked, they're better than Link's Awakening, to me.

I might have to agree on this. They really are two completely separate games, and on their own they don't really reach Link's Awakening, but together they become really good.

As soon as I had finished them both back in the day, I immediately started a new save file playing them the other way around from the first time. I haven't played them since, so I'm really looking forward to get back into them again after all these years.

Ha, I actually played through them both throughout last year (Ages -> Seasons). The only annoying thing is you have to beat them twice each to get all rings and have access to both Hero's Cave. I need to do Seasons -> Ages next, but I'm burned out of Zelda at the moment.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Feb. 21, 2013

This week's Nintendo Download includes the following featured content:

Nintendo eShop on Wii U™
Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate - Demo Version – Discover the epic world of Monster Hunter as you journey through more than 200 exhilarating quests, battle larger-than-life monsters and create hundreds of weapons and armor. Hunt with your two AI companions in single-player quests or team up with up to three friends in four-player online battles. Visually stunning HD graphics deliver a unique and stunning world for players to explore, and with the addition of online chat, this is the best Monster Hunter experience to date.

F-Zero™ – Speed into the future with the first installment of the F-Zero™ series. Originally released on the Super NES, strategy will play a big part in this classic game as you choose between four proton-powered hover cars and race across 15 courses filled with challenges and pitfalls. Find shortcuts, elude hazards and snag power-ups if you want to beat the competition. F-Zero is the second game released on the Virtual Console for Wii U to celebrate the 30th anniversary of the Famicom. For a limited time, the game will be available for only 30 cents.

Also new this week:
• Trine 2™: Director's Cut - Demo Version (Nintendo eShop on Wii U)
• Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate - Demo Version (Nintendo eShop on Nintendo 3DS)
• Sonic & All-Stars Racing Transformed – Demo Version (Nintendo eShop on Nintendo 3DS)
• Yoshi™ (Nintendo eShop on Nintendo 3DS)
• Etrian Odyssey™ IV: Legends of the Titan (Nintendo eShop on Nintendo 3DS)
• Picdun 2: Witch's Curse (Nintendo eShop on Nintendo 3DS)
• Viking Invasion 2 - Tower Defense (Nintendo eShop on Nintendo 3DS)

To view this week's Nintendo Download in its full graphical version, please visit: http://news2know.net/nintendo/downloadE28Uwd2p.php.

In addition to video games available at retail stores, Nintendo also offers a variety of content that people can download directly to their systems. Nintendo adds new titles weekly to the Nintendo eShop for the Wii U system as well as the Nintendo 3DS and Nintendo 3DS XL systems, to the Nintendo DSi™ Shop for the Nintendo DSi system and to the Wii™ Shop Channel for the Wii console.

The Nintendo eShop is a cash-based service and features games, applications and videos. Users can add money to their account balance by using a credit card or by purchasing a Nintendo Prepaid Card at a retail store and entering the code from the card. All funds from one card must be redeemed in either the Wii U eShop or the Nintendo 3DS eShop, respectively. They are not transferable and cannot be divided between the two systems.

The Wii Shop Channel offers games and applications and uses Wii Points™, which can be purchased via the Wii Shop Channel. The Nintendo DSi Shop offers games and applications and uses Nintendo DSi Points™, which can be purchased in the Nintendo DSi Shop. A Wii Points Card™ and Nintendo DSi Points Card™ can be purchased at retail locations. All points from one card must be redeemed in either the Wii Shop Channel or the Nintendo DSi Shop, respectively. They are not transferable and cannot be divided between the two systems.

Remember that Wii U, Wii, Nintendo 3DS, Nintendo 3DS XL and Nintendo DSi feature parental controls that let adults manage some of the content their children can access. For more information about this and other features, visit http://www.nintendo.com/wiiu, http://www.nintendo.com/wii, http://www.nintendo.com/3ds or http://www.nintendo.com/ds.

@MUWANdo

Banned
NA press release is up--MH3U/Trine 2 demos and F-Zero for Wii U, MH3U and Sonic All-Stars Transformed demos plus Picdun 2 and Yoshi (NES) for 3DS, Viking Invasion 2 for DSiWare.

DenisQc

Monster Hunter Demo
Sonic demo

Picdun 2 :)

with unchained blades, now Picdun, and Etrian Odyssey soon, dungeon crawlers are well treated :)

Qurupeke

The number of disconnections is too damn high. The 3DS downloads are going nice(I've actually downloaded MonHun, only Castlevania left) but the Wii U ones. MEH.

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
7f5TM.png

Wii U | eShop Discounts and Price Cuts

• Assassin's Creed III (Ubisoft | $59.99 $41.99) Until (02/26)
  • ESPN Sports Connection (Ubisoft | $49.99 $34.99) Until (02/26)
  • Just Dance 4 (Ubisoft | $49.99 $34.99) Until (02/26)
  • Rabbids Land (Ubisoft | $49.99 $34.99) Until (02/26)
  • Your Shape: Fitness Evolved 2013 (Ubisoft | $49.99 $34.99) Until (02/26)
  • ZombiU (Ubisoft | $59.99 $41.99) Until (02/26)
  • Trine 2: Director's Cut (Frozenbyte | $19.99 $14.99) (Until ??/??)

Wii U | eShop Original Software, Downloadable Content and Demos

Wii U | Virtual Console

• F-Zero (Nintendo | Super NES | $0.30) (Until 03/21) Latest release!

Nintendo 3DS | eShop Discounts and Price Cuts

• Crashmo (Nintendo | $8.99 $4.99) (Until 02/28)

Nintendo 3DS | eShop Original Software, Downloadable Content and Demos

• Fire Emblem: Awakening (OT) DLC (Nintendo)
    EXPonential Growth ($2.50) Latest release!
    The Lost Bloodlines Pack ($6.00) Latest release!
    The Lost Bloodlines 1 ($3.00) Latest release!

Nintendo 3DS | Virtual Console

• Yoshi (Nintendo | NES | $4.99) Latest release!

joedick

At the risk of jinxing things, the streak is now at 6 consecutive weeks with a 3DS VC release.

Hopefully we start getting some more Game Gear games in the mix.

Effect

Etrian Odyssey IV had it's release date pushed up and is on sale in the eShop now? I thought it came out on the 26th. Or is that for the demo in Mpl90's post?

Etrian Odyssey IV had it's release date pushed up and is on sale in the eShop now? I thought it came out on the 26th. Or is that for the demo in Mpl90's post?

Mpl90 lists it as coming out, Brazil does not. Strange.

The demo already came out for it earlier.

Maiar_m

No Castlevania demo for the US today? Is it a blessing or a curse?

Just finished the demo. It's not bad. It's not Igavania and it's not old-school either, so whichever camp you're in, you might find it a bit off-putting at first. I really wish it had been made on Vita though, the 3DS screen is so so bad, but I had some fun during the demo.

Doczu

Just finished the demo. It's not bad. It's not Igavania and it's not old-school either, so whichever camp you're in, you might find it a bit off-putting at first. I really wish it had been made on Vita though, the 3DS screen is so so bad, but I had some fun during the demo.

Share some more info for those that can't play now :p What's the framerate? Smooth?

Maiar_m

Share some more info for those that can't play now :p What's the framerate? Smooth?

No, it's not perfect. I'd say it's clearly a game that would have hugely gained from better hardware / compromise. You get used to it though, and as long as you can deal with the screen being what it is (lots of reflection, poor viewing angle, let's not even discuss the 3D), well it seems to be a fairly enjoyable game.

The castle in itself appears to have lots of paths you can only access after you've gained some abilities or as a different character. Reviews will tell us if it's big enough and the game long enough, but in terms of atmosphere and potential, it felt like a Castlevania alright.

Music was good, I noticed it in the Church sequence, and there are lots of sound effects that put you in the mood (a ghost with its chains in the crypt, the squeletons being all squelety etc...).

Combat system...It's fine. I mean, it's hard to have a definite opinion about it this early, but when it comes to bosses, I just couldn't tell if I were actually making any damage. There's some feedback missing somewhere, I don't know. Nonetheless, you get plenty of combo options, you can unlock new moves and you do whip around the undead, which is sort of the point. I got killed twice, once by each "boss", which made me think I should do more than crunch buttons if I wanted to play well. That's that.

So the short version is: it doesn't look very good if you're used to Vita graphics for example, but it's very nice for a 3DS. The framerate is poor, but manageable. The fights are fun, the atmosphere is there. There's potential.

Peru

It's not really very nice for the 3DS graphics-wise, so many games out and coming look much better with a better framerate.

Top Bottom