• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Downloads - February 2013

Went ahead and purchased PicDun 2 (even though Etrian Odyssey 4 is right around the corner).

It's 599 blocks if anyone was wondering.

I can't help myself whenever I see the words "dungeon crawler" lol.

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
I've made a small adjustment to the OP.

7f5TM.png

Nintendo 3DS | eShop Original Software, Downloadable Content and Demos

Roto13

Gutted to hear that. There was so much hype. Why's it shitty?
Well, here's part of a thing I wrote. :p
The problem with Retro City Rampage is that it starts to fall apart when you realize that the pop culture references are attempting to support a lot of genuinely bad gameplay segments. It’s basically the Family Guy of indie games. The references are nonstop. The second mission parodies the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, the A-Team, and Bill & Ted in the space of about 30 seconds. It gets to the point where they’re just not novel any more. Eventually the jokes just start to make certain missions worse. Perhaps the most prominent offender is the tailing mission. You have to tail Biffman (a Batman parody), but, as Player remarks, tailing missions are so boring he needs to collect cups of coffee on the way to prevent himself from falling asleep. And it really is an awful mission, just as the game says. Following Biffman too closely will end the mission. Following him from too great a distance (which happens when you have to go out of your way to collect coffee) will cause you to lose track of him. It turns out that going “Ha, tailing missions, am I right?” doesn’t make your tailing mission any less awful.

Retro City Rampage throws in a ton of different gimmicks to keep gameplay from getting boring, but they too often end up trading boredom for frustration. The ’Splosion Man parody level is an exercise in instadeaths and level memorization. Missions like this are more frequent and worse the farther you make it into the game. During one stretch of the game you’re faced with a Smash TV parody with endless waves of enemies and not nearly enough ammo, followed by a frustrating stage that essentially boils down to wandering around a giant room full of enemies with rocket launchers until you stumble upon the exit, followed by a sendup of one of the worst, most game-breaking stages of the NES era (the underwater level of Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles that made everyone stop playing), followed by an excruciating boss fight you don’t really fight so much as wait out (with instant death traps covering most floor tiles in the room), followed by an awful Mach Rider minigame with yet more instant death. Basically, the game starts decent and just gets worse from there.

rjc571

Banned
People expecting PicDun to be anything like Etrian Odyssey/Wizardry/etc. are going to be disappointed. The RPG elements of the game are extremely rudimentary -- the bulk of the gameplay consists of figuring out how to map out the enitrety of each floor of the dungeon. It's mainly a puzzle game which happens to be set in a dungeon and has random battles (which focus on action rather than pure stat grinding).

People expecting PicDun to be anything like Etrian Odyssey/Wizardry/etc. are going to be disappointed. The RPG elements of the game are extremely rudimentary -- the bulk of the gameplay consists of figuring out how to map out the enitrety of each floor of the dungeon. It's mainly a puzzle game which happens to be set in a dungeon and has random battles (which focus on action rather than pure stat grinding).

Is it worth it though... The tits... I mean dungeons are rendered nicely

This is my first time playing a PicDun game and I don't regret the purchase, I'm enjoying it but I feel like a lot of it is over my head at this point. I haven't had any problems mapping out the floors completely (I'm up to 11 or so), but there seems to be these cryptic floor-wide puzzles that have mostly just been beyond me so far.

I also noticed that on the elevator menu, some floors are green while others are blue. I'm assuming that the green ones are those that have been 100%'d?

Mupod

So I just got a Wii U, never actually had a Wii. I see Paper Mario available as a Club Nintendo reward - just to clarify, I'll be able to play that on my Wii U if I get it, right? Any hoops I need to jump through or is it as easy as redeeming a 3DS game reward is?

So I just got a Wii U, never actually had a Wii. I see Paper Mario available as a Club Nintendo reward - just to clarify, I'll be able to play that on my Wii U if I get it, right? Any hoops I need to jump through or is it as easy as redeeming a 3DS game reward is?

You will need the classic controller to play, also you need to go into the wii menu on the wii u, I know Nintendo will update so that's not needed and gamepad can be used.

Wait now that I think of it you don't have a wii controller so I'm not sure if you can use the classic controller,fracking Nintendo needs to fix this stuff..

Mupod

You will need the classic controller to play, also you need to go into the wii menu on the wii u, I know Nintendo will update so that's not needed and gamepad can be used.

Wait now that I think of it you don't have a wii controller so I'm not sure if you can use the classic controller,fracking Nintendo needs to fix this stuff..

Well I do have a classic controller pro, I bought it to play MH Tri because I need my Monster Hunter...I'll let you guess why I got a Wii U today.

I just don't actually have a Wii of my own, but I can probably borrow a wiimote since between my mother, my sister and my brother as they have no less than four Wiis between them. But yeah that's kind of dumb, considering I have the gamepad and a pro controller from the zombi u bundle I just got.

Is it worth it though... The tits... I mean dungeons are rendered nicely

I'm enjoying my time with it so far.

Currently on floor 8.

The first few floors have been basic but when you reach certain floors, they'll put different mechanics.

You have warp points that warp you to a different place on the map.
Tiles that force you to go in one direction.
Slippery tiles that will carry you until you land on a normal tile.

I'm sure they'll throw more things at me as I get deeper into the game.

The RPG aspect is really basic in terms of leveling up/stats. When you level up, you won't see any of your stats except for your HP. Your attack/defending power will increase, you just won't see any numbers.

When in battle, there's 2 attacks. You can press either B or Y to "chop down" which hits 1 enemy with heavy damage or you can press A or X to do a "side slash" that attacks all enemies.

There's a "POW" meter during battle. When it's fully charged, your attacks will be strong but every time you attack, the meter goes down. It recharges pretty quick though. If you attack before the meter is fully charged, your attack won't be as strong.

You use a shield to defend. You press L or the D-Pad to do so. You'll take no damage. There's a stamina bar shown around your HP and each time you defend, it'll drain but when your shield is lowered, you'll recover. If you use your shield at the same time the enemy attacks, you'll counter and do a power move where you have to press a series of buttons to launch it.

You can also run from battle but so far, I haven't really seen a need for it.

When going through a dungeon, you'll find a pedometer. It'll show you how many tiles you're missing. When you complete a dungeon/everything mapped out, it'll form a picture. Think of it as a picross picture. You can find the exit and go to the next floor, even if you're missing tiles. You just won't see the picture. There are elevators every 5 floors that let you go back to an earlier floor. I haven't used this yet so I can't say exactly how it works but if you're missing a picture, that's how you can go back to them.

There are orbs that help with doors and devices in the dungeon.

There are hints/notes on some of the walls. They may teach you things about the different mechanics or help you solve a puzzle.

3 characters to choose from. Each of them is strong in their own ways. You can only use 1 at a time though. You can switch when you find a pink note on the wall.

You can find stronger equipment for each character as well as stronger shields. You can also use potions.

The game looks great, btw.

If you're looking for a deep, etrian odyssey-like game, this isn't it but from what I've played so far, it's worth the $5. Dungeon crawler + puzzle game really had me interested. So far, everything has been simple but I expect harder puzzles later on.

If they decide to make a PicDun 3 in the future, I would pick it up.

One thing that suckssss is that if you use an elevator to go to a previous floor, you'll have to redo the map/find the exit again. If, for example, you use the elevator at floor 5 and take it back to floor 1, the only way to make it back to floor 5 is to go through floors 1-4 again.

Assuming you have the latest firmware, all you need to do is access the Wii shop channel from the Wii mode on your WiiU and put in the cn code under settings I believe. Only thing is you won't get the cn coins for the game.

Viking Invasion 2 is actually pretty decent. It's just tower defense the the dialog between battles is actually pretty funny. The top screen isn't really used...most of what you're doing is still on the bottom screen. The top simply gives you a full view of the map. Has some neat little effects too, like clouds that seem to be floating over top of the screen. (Pop out effect.)

I'm enjoying it!

Went ahead and purchased PicDun 2 (even though Etrian Odyssey 4 is right around the corner).

It's 599 blocks if anyone was wondering.

I can't help myself whenever I see the words "dungeon crawler" lol.

Well whaddya think? I'm kind of tempted to give it a go.

Nevermind: Just saw above

Anybody have any idea as to why my Assassin's Creed III download seems to refuse to start? It says 'Downloading' but stays on 0%. This is the third time now, as I got an error twice before.. :/

Nintendo better bring over those Oracle games soon, I've literally been waiting for them since the system came out.

The rate of populating the 3DS VC is so abysmal compared to the Wii VC back in the day.

What the fuck, Nintendo, just what the fuck.

serplux

Nintendo better bring over those Oracle games soon, I've literally been waiting for them since the system came out.

The rate of populating the 3DS VC is so abysmal compared to the Wii VC back in the day.

What the fuck, Nintendo, just what the fuck.

The Game Boy unfortunately doesn't have as many classics that still stand up to this day (unlike the NES or SNES), plus many people aren't too keen about monochrome. They're probably going to have to start releasing more GBC/start releasing SNES/GBA games in order to diversify the VC more, as the NES library is decently filled in Japan (about 1/3 of entire Wii library).

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
The Game Boy unfortunately doesn't have as many classics that still stand up to this day (unlike the NES or SNES), plus many people aren't too keen about monochrome. They're probably going to have to start releasing more GBC/start releasing SNES/GBA games in order to diversify the VC more, as the NES library is decently filled in Japan (about 1/3 of entire Wii library).

Game Boy / Colour library is top heavy, sure. But they could be getting some of the less desirable releases out of the way every week instead of sitting on their hands. And as you said, there are more libraries to explore too, yet they only want to touch the NES now it seems. When was the last Game Gear VC release in NA? Not to mention the slew of other portable consoles they might bring on board.

Of course, my biggest issue with 3DS VC is lack of Super Game Boy support in their emulator. Groan.

I think there's even less GBC games worth putting on VC than there are original GB games. It's weird though, even the JP Virtual Console has basically slowed down the GB/GBC releases. There's been nothing but Famicom/NES games with the occasional Game Gear Game for the past few months.

I just want to be able to play Mega Man V and Shantae without having to break the bank for physical carts, dammit. :|

BooJoh

MH3U is great as expected, but underwater controls are absolutely horrible on 3DS. The controls in general are just so much better on Wii U (and I've been using the Gamepad.)

I managed to beat Lagombi on my first try. Did terribly on Plesioth on 3DS, got him to limp a couple times on Wii U before running out of time. All of this with Switch Axe. My one attempt at Plesioth with GS didn't even get to the limping stage before I was out of time.

I honestly think Plesioth is just a major pain when he's underwater and he stays there most of the time, at least in the demo. At least his hipcheck doesn't seem to hit things from clear across the map though.

The monster look button is a nice addition, particularly for 3DS where you don't have the luxury of a usable camera (which is what makes swimming so terrible.)

Can't wait to get the full versions next month.

serplux

Game Boy / Colour library is top heavy, sure. But they could be getting some of the less desirable releases out of the way every week instead of sitting on their hands. And as you said, there are more libraries to explore too, yet they only want to touch the NES now it seems. When was the last Game Gear VC release in NA? Not to mention the slew of other portable consoles they might bring on board.

Of course, my biggest issue with 3DS VC is lack of Super Game Boy support in their emulator. Groan.

At the very least, they are releasing a NES game every week in the US, even if they're games I've played before. They haven't even had a Game Gear VC game since the launch of the GG VC, back in March of last year, even though Japan has about 12 games at this point and freaking Europe has 5. I'm just hoping they dive into the 16/32-bit era (Genesis games would be cool, and SEGA seems to be emphasizing digital more). Support for color on the original GB games (hell, they've done it three times in the past) wouldn't take much time at all. So the VC does have some pretty good games on it, but it should be a lot better (2-3 releases a week here should be sufficient).

Does it bother anyone else that the eShop doesn't have a Exit option in the menu? Having to hit home to close the eShop is like having to hit Control Alt Delete to close Internet Explorer.

It use to make me feel weird on 3DS, just felt 'unnatural' lol. Like I was doing it wrong, just dashboarding or something and not exiting/saving things correctly. :p

But because I've had the 3DS so long now I'm very much use to it so the Wii U one I don't even think about.

Re Game Gear: The fact that I still don't have portable Dragon's Trap on 3DS pisses me off to no end Sega. >_>

oatmeal

Banned
Wii U demos downloaded in about 5 mins each.

Kind of a weird post here but I have a 50 Canadian Wii U/3DS card that I can't use (I have American systems). When I try to redeem it says that it is the wrong country code so I think it works.

If a Canadian here wants it, I will give it away for 30 bucks US. I will let you activate it first to make sure and if its good, Paypal me the money.

Any takers?

Wii U demos downloaded in about 5 mins each.

Kind of a weird post here but I have a 50 Canadian Wii U/3DS card that I can't use (I have American systems). When I try to redeem it says that it is the wrong country code so I think it works.

If a Canadian here wants it, I will give it away for 30 bucks US. I will let you activate it first to make sure and if its good, Paypal me the money.

Any takers?

Can't you just change your region and use them?

Top Bottom