• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Downloads - February 2013

also

Banned
Just finished the demo. It's not bad. It's not Igavania and it's not old-school either, so whichever camp you're in, you might find it a bit off-putting at first. I really wish it had been made on Vita though, the 3DS screen is so so bad, but I had some fun during the demo.

I thought it was awful

-Pointless unskipable cutscenes constantly interrupting the flow of action. This door is locked but you need to progress through here, see that shining light ? Look at it, look at it, this is were you have to go. Look at this big monster and how strong it is.
-Health and subweapons meter not always present
-Enemies take forever to kill and there's no real feedback that your attacks are hurting them. Maybe it's because I only used the basic attacks.
-Hand holding to the max even though the stage was fairly linear; a big red dot on the bottom screen, cutscenes showing where's the next progression point
-QTEs to open a chest
-Finishing moves on regular enemies trigger a mini cutscene; I can see this getting old really quickly.

I liked that you can change the difficulty at any time and your moveset seems to be quite big.

This demo that just reaffirmed my suspicions that the game is not for me. Will certainly avoid buying the game unless it gets glowing reviews and is much better than the demo.

Any opinions on zombi-u vs assassin's creed? I want to pick one or the other up but having trouble deciding.

GAF's pretty down on Assassin's Creed but I really enjoyed it. Maybe more for the setting than anything else but I thought the story was pretty good too.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
It's not really very nice for the 3DS graphics-wise, so many games out and coming look much better with a better framerate.

After Lords of Shadow, and now this, I'm a bit skeptical of Mercurysteam's engine and coding abilities.

They also don't seem to feel stable framerate is important for gameplay in an action game.

Chopper

I thought it was awful

-Pointless unskipable cutscenes constantly interrupting the flow of action. This door is locked but you need to progress through here, see that shining light ? Look at it, look at it, this is were you have to go. Look at this big monster and how strong it is.
-Enemies take forever to kill and there's no real feedback that your attacks are hurting them. Maybe it's because I only used the basic attacks.
-Hand holding to the max even though the stage was fairly linear; a big red dot on the bottom screen, cutscenes showing where's the next progression point
-QTEs to open a chest
-Finishing moves on regular enemies trigger a mini cutscene; I can see this getting old really quickly.

I liked that you can change the difficulty at any time and your moveset seems to be quite big.

This demo that just reaffirmed my suspicions that the game is not for me. Will certainly avoid buying the game unless it gets glowing reviews and is much better than the demo.
You opened a chest? The only one I saw was behind a door locked by magic.

Maiar_m

I thought it was awful

-QTEs to open a chest

Everything you said is right. It's also what I was expecting, so I guess I didn't mind it much. The fact that you've got two damn screens but can't see your health / stuff at all time is laughable. However, I didn't mind the shiny edges / whip hangers much because I found it hard to appreciate just how hight I could jump, and the screen is so bad I might have missed the hints entierly. Still, not an excuse. I still enjoyed the demo, but I share your doubts about enjoying the full game.

Qurupeke

Monster Hunter 3U 3DS was really great. But the controls feel a bit strange... I can't control the camera with the touch screen and pay attention to the upper screen on the same time...

also

Banned
You opened a chest? The only one I saw was behind a door locked by magic.
You can open the chest that you see behind the gate at the very beginning of the final area.
Take the upper path in front of the gate that triggers the cutscene of Trevor looking thorugh it and seeing something shiny in the distance.

Everything you said is right. It's also what I was expecting, so I guess I didn't mind it much. The fact that you've got two damn screens but can't see your health / stuff at all time is laughable. However, I didn't mind the shiny edges / whip hangers much because I found it hard to appreciate just how hight I could jump, and the screen is so bad I might have missed the hints entierly. Still, not an excuse. I still enjoyed the demo, but I share your doubts about enjoying the full game.
That they need bright shiny spots to illustrate where you can grab just shows how badly the game is designed. Same with the game interrupting the boss fight with instructions on how to dodge the next attack.

Can anyone confirm that the Fire Emblem DLC is refreshed today? And are they seriously giving us 2 per week? That's awesome and a half.

I'll download the Monster Hunter demo later, been looking forward to that. Anything at native res will be an improvement over Tri's 480p on an HDTV.

I'm so-so on Castlevania. The combat is fine but the levels are way too big. I prefer them to be more compact, like in the Igavanias. That would also help with the graphics. The models are really good when you see them up close but when you're zoomed out it's jaggies galore.

Chrom

Can anyone confirm that the Fire Emblem DLC is refreshed today? And are they seriously giving us 2 per week? That's awesome and a half.

I'm in the store right now but only Lost Bloodlines 1 and the LB Pack are the new ones available.

EXPonential Growth was promised today too, but I don't see it!

Edit: It's playable right now if you bought the Golden Pack, so they probably just haven't added the individual DLC up yet.

Maiar_m

That they need bright shiny spots to illustrate where you can grab just shows how badly the game is designed. Same with the game interrupting the boss fight with instructions on how to dodge the next attack.
I don't know, I remember the DS's castlevania had moments where you had to pay attention or you'd miss a path. Here you'd still have to pay attention if it weren't for the shinies - it screams "we'll hold you end, casual guy" more than poor level design to me. It's still a low point, though.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
3DS demo up. No sign of Wii U yet.

Here's my current setup. :p

itc0HcFyCWbdf.jpg

Roto13

We will, but not next week according to Aonuma (posted in the Zelda Miiverse community).

So it's confirmed that we're getting the Oracles games at all.

Well, that was to be assumed. :p But the news that you'll be able to buy them in a bundle is cool.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Looks like Mighty Switch Force is $4.99 right now. Is this old news?

edit: God damn it, Mileena. And yes, it's a very good game. It's better if you really have a drive to go for Par times (high scores), which gives it much more of a challenge and replayability.

also

Banned
I don't know, I remember the DS's castlevania had moments where you had to pay attention or you'd miss a path. Here you'd still have to pay attention if it weren't for the shinies - it screams "we'll hold you end, casual guy" more than poor level design to me. It's still a low point, though.

I think they went for the shiny spots because the game has insta death jumps so they were afraid of players getting frustrated. Instead of making the grab/hang spots stand out in a natural way, they just made them shiny.

It also seems the game is heavily scripted. After you get the subweapon and drop the chandelier, you have to use the newly created whip spot to lower yourself down to the ground. If you try to time your double jump to land on one of the chandelier below you just drop down like a rock.

Marche90

... Weird. I didn't find the Sonic All-Star Racing demo. What gives?

Oh well, downloading Monster Hunter demo. Should be good

Also, Picdun x2 is very hidden (took me a while to find it). Eh, doesn't look that bad, but it's only $4.99 so no way one can't complain, even if I'm not buying it. Funny trailer, though

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
This is the full update.

7f5TM.png

Wii U | eShop Discounts and Price Cuts

Wii U | eShop Original Software, Downloadable Content and Demos

• Assassin's Creed III (OT) DLC (Ubisoft)
    The Infamy ($10.00) Latest release!
  • Just Dance 4 DLC (Ubisoft)
    Boom ($3.00) Latest release!
    Oath ($3.00) Latest release!
    We R Who We R ($3.00) Latest release!
    You Make Me Feel... ($3.00) Latest release!

Wii U | Virtual Console

• F-Zero (Nintendo | Super NES | $0.30) (Until 03/21) Latest release!

Nintendo 3DS | eShop Discounts and Price Cuts

• Crashmo (Nintendo | $8.99 $4.99) (Until 02/28)

Nintendo 3DS | eShop Original Software, Downloadable Content and Demos

• Fire Emblem: Awakening (OT) DLC (Nintendo)
    EXPonential Growth ($2.50) Latest release!
    The Lost Bloodlines Pack ($6.00) Latest release!
    The Lost Bloodlines 1 ($3.00) Latest release!

Nintendo 3DS | Virtual Console

• Yoshi (Nintendo | NES | $4.99) Latest release!

Love dungeon crawlers and Picdun 2 looks great. Didn't know anything about it until today.

If anyone has any opinions on it (or the first one) I would love to hear them.

All Stars Transformed demo is nowhere to be found. Wanted to try it out of morbid curiosity to see if it played as dreadfully as I've heard.

Grabbing both Crashmo & new FE:A DLC today, so that's $12 worth if purchases. Man, I wish we'd earn CN coins for DLC.

Also need to grab both MH3U demos, hyped!

Frolow

Banned
No Sonic demo for me either. Wonder what gives.

Anyway, downloading the Yoshi update and both demos of Monster Hunter. You guys have any advice for a Monster Hunter newcomer here? I heard the demo was unfriendly to outsiders.

Does it bother anyone else that the eShop doesn't have a Exit option in the menu? Having to hit home to close the eShop is like having to hit Control Alt Delete to close Internet Explorer.

Anyway, can anyone recommend Yoshi?

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Does it bother anyone else that the eShop doesn't have a Exit option in the menu? Having to hit home to close the eShop is like having to hit Control Alt Delete to close Internet Explorer.

Anyway, can anyone recommend Yoshi?

Yoshi is an okay puzzle game, but way overpriced at $5 considering you could buy something like Crashmo for a buck more. Not to mention they're going to be offering it for $0.30 on the Wii U in a few months.

BooJoh

Sonic demo is MIA here too, but oh well. 30 uses of MH Demo on 3DS, 30 more on Wii U. That should hold me over for the next month. :D

Top Bottom