• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Ending Wi-Fi Connection Worldwide on May 20th

Status
Not open for further replies.

big_z

hopefully they update the 3ds so that ds games go through the 3ds wifi settings. theres a lot of people still playing Mario kart ds.

This doesn't affect moving Pokemon from 4th to 5th gen, right? I still need to move my Diamond and SoulSilver dudes up to X, wanted to know if I can keep pushing it off, or if I have to do it right now.

daxgame

oh wow. They're stopping Brawl's online before Smash 4's release? ... woah.
Sad that I won't be able to play Project M online then

L~A

Third party games will have online removed as well, right?
Tatsunoko vs. Capcom, Nights, Castlevania Judgement?...

Nintendo says you have to check the publishers' official webpages (to contact them) for 3rd-party games.

I found it odd MH Tri was not listed. I think it used a different server (and after this date will be the only use for Wii speak).

Those servers were closed on April 30, last year.

hopefully they update the 3ds so that ds games go through the 3ds wifi settings. theres a lot of people still playing Mario kart ds.

They won't, and I'm not sure they can. Besides, it's the actual servers that are shut down here, so it got nothing to do with Wifi settings.

Oh, and Nintendo Video will die on March 31st in Europe too.

Proven

So now I find out that The Last Story had online multiplayer. And co-op to boot. Dammit. I shouldn't have left it in my backlog for so long.

This doesn't affect moving Pokemon from 4th to 5th gen, right? I still need to move my Diamond and SoulSilver dudes up to X, wanted to know if I can keep pushing it off, or if I have to do it right now.

I need to research this too.
4th-to-5th gen transfer doesn't require you to be online, so nope.
Well that answers that.

Edit: DS mode in 3DS uses same MAC address.

Not quite answering your question but I know custom songs could be shared with homebrew so perhaps the official song data can be dumped. Would require people to agree on which songs to download as each would be limited to 50 each.
According to this list (which I assume is for the European release given how few tracks there are) there are 106 tracks. So 3 copies are needed (guess the EU NAND is smaller). I don't know if it is accurate or not though...

Japan has it far worse with a limit of 100 (well 100 user ones too) but more to choose from.

oh wow. They're stopping Brawl's online before Smash 4's release? ... woah.
Sad that I won't be able to play Project M online then
Project M should be aware of this. Has anyone asked if they are looking into making a private server.

sörine

Banned
I guess this means DS Virtual Console games on Wii U won't have online play either? Or can they use a different solution there?

It does feel weirdly premature but then a 9 year lifecycle for WFC isn't too bad. It's longer than OG Xbox Live lasted at least.

Chuckpebble

Ah, thanks.

Got that one too and haven't played it for 1 second yet :( Is it highscore boards or actual multiplayer?

Maybe people should capture network traffic of those games, so that reverse engineering would be possible.

Yeah, Sin & Punishment 2 is just a leader board. Still a great game without it.

I've been pining for some sort of custom server software ever since Tri shut down. Basically half of the game becomes inaccessible. I don't care about the multiplayer, I just want to solo the harder monsters still.

yaesir

Well, will the next gen pokemon be a remake of an older title so those of us that skipped the previous gens have a chance of getting those pokemon? (poke transporter doesnt work if you don't have the pokemon :/)

I'm still kind of annoyed that i'll never have some event pokemon and they don't seem like they will redo the events.

Well, will the next gen pokemon be a remake of an older title so those of us that skipped the previous gens have a chance of getting those pokemon? (poke transporter doesnt work if you don't have the pokemon :/)

I'm still kind of annoyed that i'll never have some event pokemon and they don't seem like they will redo the events.
Most likely but you act like you had to use Wi-Fi to get some. You do know Wi-Fi connection does not help you get any Pokemon you can't get through normal gameplay and multiple versions of games. I guess Pokemon ranger manaphy mission is an exception (but that was discontinued years ago).

As for event Pokemon. They rarely (possibly never) used Wi-Fi mystery gift for these and the games consider the Pokedex complete without any that need you to go to an event (so you only 705 out of the released 718 to complete the XY Pokedex, I managed it without using the Poke transporter, its about making good trade offers).

So what will be the situation with DS games on Wii U? They'll have online play right?
They'll probably edit the ROMs to dummy out the option. Much like the print command in SMB DX (I'm sure on actual hardware it sends you to an error message, in the VC release you press A on the selection and nothing happens).

But to be honest given it will be years before they come out (a screenshot proves as much as announcing GBA 2 years ago) they might have some virtual nintendo network server instead).

gerudoman

Oh man, this is terrible news. I've put more than 300 hours into Goldeneye's online, my first online FPS experience. Heck, I still play it at least twice a week.

I also played Mario Kart DS and Wii to death. MK DS online with only 4 players, snaking, cheaters and not being able to choose all circuits may sound really limited and basic today, but it was such a blast back in the day...

Guess I know what games I'll be playing in the next months, I don't care about my growing backlog, this games are a very important part of my youth and as such they deserve a proper farewell :(

Realistically... Who cares? This isn't really bad news. Nobody plays online wii/ds, and if they do then that's truly sad. DS is plagued with hackers online, and Wii's online is just horrible. Tatsunoko/Brawl are subject to tons of lag/delay.

Whatever. The last thing I wanted to try was Last Story's online mode after I beat Xenoblade, and I have plenty of time before May 20th to try that.

sörine

Banned
Looking through the list it seems the Genesis version of SSF2 on Virtual Console is unaffected. Weird, didn't it use WFC?

Crazyorloco

Could I still trade Pokémon locally if I have two DS when it is offline?

Yes (beaten by a pokemon called burning justice)

And Nice to know Netflix is not affected.

What's the gamespy connection in all this? They're not using them for Wii U/3DS right?

RPGCrazied

Lame, you won't be able to play Super Smash Bro's online now? I mainly use my Wii now for Netflix, I hope you can still use their service.

Datschge

Terrible news. Anyone already looking into reverse engineering the p2p matchmaking? Gonna look into it at least for PES 2013 Wii.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Out of curiosity, how much downloadable content is actually downloaded and how much is just unlocked? Basically could one, even if it meant cheating, get everything in a game or do we risk losing some data forever?

Nintendo doesn't get a free pass on this as I've called out other developers for the same thing...

These servers do not cost much to run... there are companies that still run their centralized server games for 15+ years (See Diablo 1, Starcraft 1, etc) there really is almost no reason not to... They still need servers, those servers can handle the minimal traffic still being used by these legacy games while still being used for newer games.

Nintendo doesn't get a free pass on this as I've called out other developers for the same thing...

These servers do not cost much to run... there are companies that still run their centralized server games for 15+ years (See Diablo 1, Starcraft 1, etc) there really is almost no reason not to... They still need servers, those servers can handle the minimal traffic still being used by these legacy games while still being used for newer games.

But it does cost something and Nintendo is hurting right now. Gotta cut the expenses you can afford to. Guess this is one of those. I'm surprised there haven't been massive layoffs at Nintendo

No one was ever able to play Smash Bros. Brawl online.

QFT. Biggest disappointment on Wii for me. I was so pumped at the thought of playing Brawl online, and it NEVER worked for me. I'd check back every few weeks to see if it got better some how, but it consistently got worse.

Koppai

End of an era, I remember the first time I traded Pokémon online, was amazing to trade with friends that I have moved away from. :)

Anura

Ah, thanks.

Yeah, Sin & Punishment 2 is just a leader board. Still a great game without it.

I've been pining for some sort of custom server software ever since Tri shut down. Basically half of the game becomes inaccessible. I don't care about the multiplayer, I just want to solo the harder monsters still.

With dolphin a mod that puts online quests into offline mode could be easier and perhaps even already done.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Wait, what does the Last Story use wi-fi for? Just co-op?
A Co-Op mode where you can fight the bosses or a deathmatch mode. You can unlock exclusive weapons and dyes (basically effects).

I never did try it out so maybe I should. Will need to get used to the controls again (though they were pretty simple).

EDIT: Though I suppose worst comes to the worst you could cheat.

EDIT: Why in the name of Christ are they killing NV now?
When was the last time there was new content for it? Outside of movie trailers and the misadventures of link? I'm putting the singer on at least a year if not 2.

I guess they also feel there is a market for buying these (you can buy Shaun the Sheep at least).

But it does cost something and Nintendo is hurting right now. Gotta cut the expenses you can afford to. Guess this is one of those. I'm surprised there haven't been massive layoffs at Nintendo
I wonder how much of this is due to gamespy. Maybe the contract reached its expiry.

Still the only criticism I have is why can't they migrate the processes to the current set up and then switch off the old server as running costs of the server must be the main cost by now. But it may well be licensed code that they are not allowed to do that with.

Effer

Dang, Nintendo. You picked a hell of a time to further erode consumer trust and goodwill. Perhaps they figured none was left anyway, so why not.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom