• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Ending Wi-Fi Connection Worldwide on May 20th

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lindsay

Dot Hacked
Just noticed that I got dc'd from PSØ at some point today an upon trying ta reconnect get that discontinued message.

R.I.P.

Datschge

Games by EA and Activision appear to still work (I think those are the only ones left, not sure). Though while they use a server infrastructure different from GameSpy they still need to go through one login layer. That seems to get closed at the end of this month or something.

Unfortunately the convoluted mix of systems (similar to MHTri) makes it unlikely someone manages to reverse engineer and re-implement it.

Shiggy

Games by EA and Activision appear to still work (I think those are the only ones left, not sure). Though while they use a server infrastructure different from GameSpy they still need to go through one login layer. That seems to get closed at the end of this month or something.

Unfortunately the convoluted mix of systems (similar to MHTri) makes it unlikely someone manages to reverse engineer and re-implement it.

End of May has passed and GoldenEye Wii still works. Looks like Nintendo wanted to cheap out on users (again).

GoldenEye still works. Anyone knows about other Wii games with online multiplayer that's still working?

Maybe Goldeneye doesn't use Wifi connection?
I don't know but it's possible.
I bet the CoD games might still work too, can't verify that, though.
I wish I could still play Tatsunoko vs. Capcom online :(

Shiggy

Maybe Goldeneye doesn't use Wifi connection?
I don't know but it's possible.
I bet the CoD games might still work too, can't verify that, though.
I wish I could still play Tatsunoko vs. Capcom online :(

It certainly does use the Wi-Fi Connection, as that's indicated on the game's box and in the manual.

Datschge

All DS and Wii online games had to use WFC, the ones still running just use different servers behind the first login layer. The GameSpy account servers (those that manage the FCs) are the last ones running, and once those are turned off (end of this month's what I heard, so next Monday) really nothing will work on official servers anymore.

Tatsunoko vs. Capcom is supported by several server implementations so you're able to continue playing after patching it.

Datschge

Just a (repeated) note if some people want their online Wii profiles to survive, enter your and your friends' FCs at http://wiimmfi.profeibe.at
Until the GameSpy account servers are turned off for good such profiles can be migrated there and be reused on wiimmfi. If that's not done old profiles need to be deleted and recreated from scratch.

Piccoro

"As of May 20, 2014, the Nintendo Wi-Fi Connection service for Nintendo DSi and Wii systems has been retired. Online features of this game are no longer available after this date but this game still provides an entertaining experience in offline mode."

http://www.nintendo.com/games/detail/rAh60VoeueDCp9ZIIuwdNFOjc00Z-GgX

why the hell would this still work? what is your reason?

Oh ok, I stand corrected, then.
I thought Dr. Mario had some kind of P2P online play, because the game could be played by two people with just one copy of the game. Guess not :(

Datschge

All games using only the GameSpy servers use P2P for the actual online play. The servers are used for seeing other players online, the matchmaking process as well as exchanging data (like Miis, global highscores etc.) without P2P connection.

I can attest for the following 5 games that they still work online:
CoD Modern Warfare Reflex works
CoD Black Ops works
CoD Modern Warfare 3 works
GoldenEye works
Patched Mario Kart Wii works

Also, patched SSBBrawl works (i don't play that though)

Datschge

The complete list of games supported by wiimmfi (including number of currently active players) can be found at http://wiimmfi.de/stat#game
For unpatched games the support will stop as soon as the last remaining GameSpy servers are turned off, which may be as soon as next Monday.

Elija2

The complete list of games supported by wiimmfi (including number of currently active players) can be found at http://wiimmfi.de/stat#game
For unpatched games the support will stop as soon as the last remaining GameSpy servers are turned off, which may be as soon as next Monday.

Wow, I'm surprised that many people are still playing MKWii and Brawl online. I didn't think that many people would go through the effort of getting it working, but there are 90 people playing Brawl online right now.

RGamer2009

Neo Member
So, just to make this absolutely clear, there is no way to access the Wimmfi servers without a hacked Wii/Wii U with Homebrew?

I would love to jump on these servers but I'm not willing to risk bricking my WIi in the process.

Datschge

So, just to make this absolutely clear, there is no way to access the Wimmfi servers without a hacked Wii/Wii U with Homebrew?

The games have to be modified so that they access different servers. Without such a change they'll keep accessing the deactivated servers.

ugly

I'ma pour one last one for you, Nintendo Wi-fi Connection. May you rest in peace.
tumblr_mb50squqj21qmxewqn0.jpg

gerudoman

Can't check if it's still the case now, but I could play GoldenEye online a few months ago. I'm glad its servers are still up, I love that game.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom