• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Ending Wi-Fi Connection Worldwide on May 20th

Status
Not open for further replies.

emb

This has probably been asked a dozen times, but I skimmed the first pages and the last couple pages, didn't see it.

Will this affect using the Pokemon transfer tool that just came out with DS games, or is the interface between that app and the DS games purely offline? (I get that the 3DS app itself will still be online)

lewisgone

Hi everyone, I have a bit of a tech problem. I realise how ridiculous this method is but bear with me.

I have a Nintendo WiFi USB Connector from years ago, and my internet isn't WEP, so I'm having to figure out a way to use it so I can go on a WiFi spree. Changing the internet type isn't really an option because I don't want to annoy everyone else in the house by having them have to reenter passwords, then reenter them again when I change back to a more secure network. Plus it's kinda fun trying to get this to work.

Anyway, I have Windows 8, and the Wifi USB connector doesn't support a Windows OS past Vista. Running setup in compatibility mode doesn't cut it either, the drivers simply aren't compatible. So I set up a virtual machine running Windows XP. Surprisingly I didn't mess that step up, and I plugged in the WiFi connector, activated it in VirtualBox installed the drivers on the virtual machine.

From there, everything seemed to work fine. My DS picked up the connector, the Nintendo program found my DS and gave me access to WiFi. But I'm stuck on the final step, in WiFi settings on my DS...I go through connection settings to register the WiFi signal, but when testing the connection my DS displays an internet connection for about 3-4 seconds, then the bars go red and the connection test fails. My Virtual Machine can access the internet, so I don't know what the problem could be.

Does anyone with experience with the Nintendo WiFi Connector/virtual machines/this exact same setup(doubtful) know what the problem could be? Thanks in advance. Yes I know this is stupid. But I want Dragon Quest IX stuff :(

jimi_dini

So we won't even be able to unlock the bonus puzzles in Professor Layton games?

So simply unlock everything now and you won't have to worry later.

I wonder if the puzzles are actually downloaded or if it's just a "enable puzzle 181" command and the puzzles are already on the card.

Linkenski

Banned
It's not like I ever played those games online, but fuck! They could've at least remade Metroid Prime Hunters for 3DS before announcing this, cuz that game had EXCELLENT handheld FPS gameplay and the multiplayer was amazing as well.

Mr-Joker

Banned
This has probably been asked a dozen times, but I skimmed the first pages and the last couple pages, didn't see it.

Will this affect using the Pokemon transfer tool that just came out with DS games, or is the interface between that app and the DS games purely offline? (I get that the 3DS app itself will still be online)

No, the transfer just grabs the Pokémon and sends them off to Pokémon Bank server.

In the 10 days between the servers shutting down and Mario Kart 8's release every single one of those servers will be reappropriated to work for the 10o's of millions of gamers that will buy be buying a Wii U and Mario Kart 8 day and date.

It's the only way they can handle it! IT'LL BE INSANE!

DFSAKLF;DSA!!1111!!

NogibTC

Banned
So simply unlock everything now and you won't have to worry later.

I wonder if the puzzles are actually downloaded or if it's just a "enable puzzle 181" command and the puzzles are already on the card.

All the puzzles are on the card, it is just on online check to unlock them.

maxcriden

This is extremely surprising. I was under the impression that it had all been migrated to the Nintendo Network and would be supported. So we won't even be able to unlock the bonus puzzles in Professor Layton games?

This is a good question. I've actually tried several times to D/L the Layton bonus puzzles in the last year or so and have never been able to successfully do so. Does anyone know how or if this can still be done?

JoeM86

This is extremely surprising. I was under the impression that it had all been migrated to the Nintendo Network and would be supported. So we won't even be able to unlock the bonus puzzles in Professor Layton games?

I've heard, but I don't know if it is true, that the contract with Gamespy means that they cannot duplicate the architecture, netcode etc. elsewhere.

I've heard, but I don't know if it is true, that the contract with Gamespy means that they cannot duplicate the architecture, netcode etc. elsewhere.

What!? That sounds unfortunate. I guess that means the online modes couldn't even come back for DS titles on the Wii U?

For those interested – MrBean35000vr, the creator of the well-known CTGP Revolution mod for Mario Kart Wii (which adds hundreds of Custom tracks created by users, groups CTGP users together online automatically, adds functionnality to the original game such as being able to change character/vehicle between races or a speed meter on-screen etc.) will try to analyze wi-fi traffic and set up private servers for Mario Kart Wii.

At the moment CTGP servers are only used to update the mod itself and for some checks to prevent cheating; it STILL needs Nintendo's servers for matchmaking.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=12luRm2685o&t=2m28s
This is pretty much what I expected to happen. Glad to see that they'll do their best. ^_^

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
Good timing for me to buy my first Nintendo game in about three years, one that actually has online services I was planning on using. edit: Looks like it is most likely more or less out of Nintendo's hands. Unfortunate.

I still play these games on-line so I'm really disappointed. :' (

3Wiigames.jpg

Kilrogg

paid requisite penance
Mario Kart Wii just lost 90% of its value to me. 2-player splitscreen online play was awesome. Much more fun than 4-player splitscreen offline multiplayer.

This fucking sucks.

Speedwagon

Michelangelo painted the Sistine Chapel. Yabuki turned off voice chat in Mario Kart races. True artists of their time.
Too soon. Some great online games in that library that I'll never get to experience.

213372bu

Banned
I know so many people in real life who don't have a roku or whatever and basically use their Wii from the "fad" days as their Netflix/Hulu box.

Seriously, either there's going to be a drop in the user base of both of those streaming programs, or media-streamers are going to see a huge boost coming up. I also wonder how much bad PR Nintendo is going to get from this. I know in my hometown (Tampa,FL) there's going to be "Wii to No Longer Allow Netflix/Hulu Streaming", as that's the only thing they bring up when the word "videogames" is brought up.

JC Lately

Crap, I need to grab the Layton DS games I’ve been putting off on getting ASAP so I can grab the daily puzzles.

Double crap, I forgot about DQVC! DQ IX has been on my pile of shame for so long I had forgotten all about it! Well it just got promoted to the top of my list. Right after I’m done with Bravely Default.

So when is the Neogaf Farewell To Brawl Tournament happening? Cause that’s totally going be a thing, right guys?

Guys?

BumFrenzy of Reddit said:
This is because Wii and DS online are using Gamespy technology for their matchmaking service.

Unfortunately, Gamespy matchmaking was bought by Glu Mobile in August 2012. A bunch of games suddenly lost multiplayer matchmaking (Star Wars: Battlefront, Sniper Elite, Microsoft Flight Simulator X and Neverwinter Nights, etc.) without any notice. I imagine that Nintendo had contracts in place that made sure they couldn't shut down service until the contract had completed. My guess would be that Glu Mobile wanted to stop supporting Nintendo ASAP. I really doubt Nintendo would electively shut down service for Wii and DS unless they really had to.

Not sure if this has been mentioned here but I saw it on Reddit.

Didn't double check it because I'm lazy but this would be a pretty legitimate excuse if true.

qq more

Not sure if this has been mentioned here but I saw it on Reddit.

Didn't double check it because I'm lazy but this would be a pretty legitimate excuse if true.

Wow if this is true then there's nothing Nintendo can do about it? Terrible. What a crappy company (Glu Mobile).

I know so many people in real life who don't have a roku or whatever and basically use their Wii from the "fad" days as their Netflix/Hulu box.

Seriously, either there's going to be a drop in the user base of both of those streaming programs, or media-streamers are going to see a huge boost coming up. I also wonder how much bad PR Nintendo is going to get from this. I know in my hometown (Tampa,FL) there's going to be "Wii to No Longer Allow Netflix/Hulu Streaming", as that's the only thing they bring up when the word "videogames" is brought up.

Netflix and Hulu aren't effected.

As already said, Netflix and Hulu aren't Nintendo WFC stuff. They are their own thing and won't be affected because $$.

213372bu

Banned
Netflix and Hulu aren't effected.

Sure, but they get things on the news all the time over here. They're probably going to read it as "Internet down? Oh no what about my ___!" and it's going to hit the news like everything else over here.

Sorta kinda more OT: Why won't Nintendo try moving over what servers they use? Things like Smash and MK are heavily populated, so why not just get some servers for their first-part games? I know I'm repeating 99% of the thread here, but what about games like B/W/B2/W2? I thought lots of people still played those.

Wow if this is true then there's nothing Nintendo can do about it? Terrible. What a crappy company (Glu Mobile).

Yeah, I short read made me realize this has already been discussed actually, about 100-200 posts back. There's more info there if you want it.

I don't know if I can exactly call them crappy though. If it wasn't worth the cost to them I can't blame them for shutting it down like that, they don't benefit from good will like Nintendo does. It's just a shame Nintendo put all of their eggs in one basket here and now all of those great games are lost. Nobody's really at serious fault from what I can tell, just a shitty situation. Hopefully they've learned from this and the same mistakes won't be made with the 3DS/Wii U.

Sure, but they get things on the news all the time over here. They're probably going to read it as "Internet down? Oh no what about my ___!" and it's going to hit the news like everything else over here.

Sorta kinda more OT: Why won't Nintendo try moving over what servers they use? Things like Smash and MK are heavily populated, so why not just get some servers for their first-part games? I know I'm repeating 99% of the thread here, but what about games like B/W/B2/W2? I thought lots of people still played those.

Where do you live that Nintendo shutting down their online games is big enough to hit the mainstream news? And if that's the case, why would anyone that's invested in the Wii's online not read/listen long enough to see that Netflix/Hulu aren't effected?

No, this topic on Gaf is probably about the worst press Nintendo will get for this, outside of some disappointed kids come May 20th.

As for why they aren't transferring servers, it would just be a hell of a lot more work/cash than it's worth. Like I mentioned, this was all discussed in depth about 200 posts ago, they'll explain in more detail what makes it difficult there.

Edit: Sorry for double post D:

wow, not even a few more years? I'll miss Mario Kart Wii. It sucks too because they just made it so Dolphin emulator users can play online with people on Wii/Wii U consoles (I've been playing online on Dolphin).

Can't say that I really played any other Wii/DS games online though. Overall this doesn't sting as hard as the original Xbox servers going down did.

213372bu

Banned
Where do you live that Nintendo shutting down their online games is big enough to hit the mainstream news? And if that's the case, why would anyone that's invested in the Wii's online not read/listen long enough to see that Netflix/Hulu aren't effected?

No, this topic on Gaf is probably about the worst press Nintendo will get for this, outside of some disappointed kids come May 20th.

As for why they aren't transferring servers, it would just be a hell of a lot more work/cash than it's worth. Like I mentioned, this was all discussed in depth about 200 posts ago, they'll explain in more detail what makes it difficult there.

Edit: Sorry for double post D:
Tampa, where the people are dumb and the news is even dumber.

OT: Why doesn't Nintendo just use some servers for popular titles until their Wii U successors come out? I remember being baffled by how many people play MK and SSBB online to this date.
Seriously though, I wonder how fans are responding to the whole B2/W2 being affected and whatnot.

Roo

Tampa, where the people are dumb and the news is even dumber.

OT: Why doesn't Nintendo just use some servers for popular titles until their Wii U successors come out? I remember being baffled by how many people play MK and SSBB online to this date.

Because all the games are tied to Gamespy's middleware/netcode.
They would need to rework on that and at this point it's impossible.

FyreWulff

In theory, Nintendo would not be able to re-implement the Gamespy stack themselves anyway, as we can probably safely assume that Nintendo and Gamespy engineers worked together on it. As such, Nintendo would be exposed to copyright infringement claims by Glu as they they don't have a good claim to be covered under reverse engineering, as they saw or had the original code.

213372bu

Banned

Hmm but why not just make a deal with GLU then?If not, aren't SF4 and other games that used GFWL servers seeing updates to switch to other servers?

jimi_dini

It is actually impossible. There is no way to patch DS+Wii games (1 or 2 games on Wii had support built into them, but that's it).

Also - several PS3 titles use(d?) Gamespy as well. http://www.joystiq.com/2006/09/13/xfire-not-a-part-of-ps3-online-but-gamespy-is/

So much about not wanting to "reinvent the wheel" and then getting screwed over years later. Reinventing the wheel has its advantages.

FyreWulff

Hmm but why not just make a deal with GLU then?If not, aren't SF4 and other games that used GFWL servers seeing updates to switch to other servers?

Read upthread. Glu doesn't have a good reputation for making deals with those they work with - a developer was already paying Glu for services for their games, then Glu suddenly took their game offline and wanted a giant load of money to even turn it back on.

GFWL is different as the company providing that service (Microsoft) is not being intentionally hostile to the developers using the service.

Roo

let's just say it is a little bit more complicated than that.

It is actually impossible. There is no way to patch DS+Wii games (1 or 2 games on Wii had support built into them, but that's it).

Yeah, sorry, that's what I meant. It's impossible from a technical and financial point of view.

The DS and Wii don't support game patches, but the DS games being brought to the Wii U may be a different story seeing as how it's possible to patch the roms themselves.

213372bu

Banned
Read upthread. Glu doesn't have a good reputation for making deals with those they work with - a developer was already paying Glu for services for their games, then Glu suddenly took their game offline and wanted a giant load of money to even turn it back on.

GFWL is different as the company providing that service (Microsoft) is not being intentionally hostile to the developers using the service.

let's just say it is a little bit more complicated than that.

Yeah, sorry, that's what I meant. It's impossible from a technical and financial point of view.

Wow, my bad. I didn't realize how bad GLU was being. But yeah, as said earlier, hackers are likely to see a way for these games to connect to the internet through other means.

jimi_dini

Glu doesn't have a good reputation for making deals with those they work with - a developer was already paying Glu for services for their games, then Glu suddenly took their game offline and wanted a giant load of money to even turn it back on.

Found a nice article about this

http://www.vg247.com/2012/12/08/new-gamespy-owners-shutting-down-game-servers-left-and-right/

“A few weeks ago, the online multiplayer servers for Sniper Elite were suddenly switched off by Glu, the third-party service we had been paying to maintain them,” reads a statement from producer Steve Hart. “For the past seven years we have run these servers at a cost to ourselves so that fans of Sniper Elite could continue to play online for free.

“This decision by Glu was not taken in consultation with us and was beyond our control. We have been talking to them since to try and get the servers turned back on. We have been informed that in order to do so would cost us tens of thousands of pounds a year – far in excess of how much we were paying previously.

“We also do not have the option to take the multiplayer to a different provider, because the game relies on Glu and Gamespy’s middleware, the entire multiplayer aspect of the game would have to be redeveloped by us, again, at the cost of many tens of thousands of pounds.

Nintendo seems to be in the similar situation.

M3d10n

So Nintendo was finally caught by Glu Mobile's extortion spree, huh? I wonder if Nintendo Network uses GameSpy tech too and they were forced to let WiFi Connection die to be able to afford keeping it going on.

So Nintendo was finally caught by Glu Mobile's extortion spree, huh? I wonder if Nintendo Network uses GameSpy tech too and they were forced to let WiFi Connection die to be able to afford keeping it going on.

I don't even understand what's the point of doing that anyway… nobody's gonna do business with them after these terrible 2012+ precedents.

soxxx

Banned
Havent Pokemon White and Black 2 only been out like.....16 months? and they are cutting off the internet?

OK.

Eusis

Then ok, but this opens other questions.
Why does a company not plan long enough and have contracts in place so this could not happen? Why not communicate the difficulties for less backlash?

This of course, is all hypothetical because we don't know if it the true reason.
Maybe they did have those plans but Glu was screwing around, or GameSpy was the best partner at the time but things weren't as good for them as they used to be and issues started coming to a head with Glu's involvement. Hell, maybe what GameSpy had been doing was simply not viable for the long term, but at any rate no, we don't know everything.
I don't even understand what's the point of doing that anyway… nobody's gonna do business with them after these terrible 2012+ precedents.
They won't even license their stuff out for new games, and frankly I find the page notifying people about this is one of the most condescending things I've ever seen put up by a professional company, so maybe killing it off is the point.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom