• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Ending Wi-Fi Connection Worldwide on May 20th

Status
Not open for further replies.
I remember getting that wifi usb stick thing from Nintendo. It broke and then I had to get a real router. I still use that router.

I remember that thing slowing my computer down like crazy when it was plugged in, but it was the only way I could play DS games online, so I just plugged and unplugged it in as needed.

What a hassle that was, but I did what I had to do to play Pokemon and Mario Kart.

Shiggy

I remember getting that wifi usb stick thing from Nintendo. It broke and then I had to get a real router. I still use that router.

I wanted to use that today but it's only supported by Windows XP. So I had to use my phone and tethering to create an open wifi network.

Still searching for people, endlessly searching. Meanwhile, Club House Games is done, although I couldn't find anyone on there when the network was working anyway.

terrisus

Ahaha I remember that. What a ridiculous rule. It just made the concept of Friend Codes all the more stupid that they weren't even allowed on their own official forums.

I actually got warned by the head admin of NSider because I had a link in a post I made to a site where FC sharing was allowed. I was a "Sage" so I guess it was a very serious offense, but looking back it was just... weird.

Trust me, us KoHs didn't like the rules any more than any of the other users (and neither did the NOAs, frankly), but that's what was handed down, so that's what we were stuck enforcing.

And, even for us, we weren't allowed to share them even with each other. But, you know, we had each other's AIM names to be able to deal with moderating things, so... >.>

i-Jest

wtPSJsm.png

goodnight sweet prince.

We need a GAF GIF to truly illustrate the the loss we feel........SOMEONE QUICK, get an Antonio Banderas GIF!

Trust me, us KoHs didn't like the rules any more than any of the other users (and neither did the NOAs, frankly), but that's what was handed down, so that's what we were stuck enforcing.

And, even for us, we weren't allowed to share them even with each other. But, you know, we had each other's AIM names to be able to deal with moderating things, so... >.>

Yea, I had heard that the NOAs didn't like the rules, that it was legal or whatever that forced them to be like that.

Which is too bad, because NSider had a really fun community that was bogged down by rules and strictness. It would have become super awkward as the years went on and games like Smash and Mario Kart Wii came out, and even onto the 3DS and WiiU with the lack of codes, I'm not sure how NOA would have handled all that while still holding onto their strict rules.

Jazzem

Still going on Bomberman DSiWare, getting utterly trounced by Japanese players :p

Shame that this game doesn't have download play multiplayer, meaning everyone in local multiplayer needs to own it...once the service goes down it'll basically be a single player only Bomberman game =/

ffdgh

Wow, I still have a list of all my Friend Codes. It's hard to believe all of these strings of numbers don't mean anything anymore.

Huh...didn't think about that...sad.

My Mario kart ds, mario kart wii, and brawl fcs are forever burned into my memory lol.

terrisus

Yea, I had heard that the NOAs didn't like the rules, that it was legal or whatever that forced them to be like that.

Which is too bad, because NSider had a really fun community that was bogged down by rules and strictness. It would have become super awkward as the years went on and games like Smash and Mario Kart Wii came out, and even onto the 3DS and WiiU with the lack of codes, I'm not sure how NOA would have handled all that while still holding onto their strict rules.

Yeah, pretty much the explanation that everyone else got was the same one that we got. Nothing really more to it than that, just "This is what it is, here you go, now enforce it."

I can see the reasons why, given their particular legal requirements and the system that was in place, that it needed to be done like that. But, believe me, none of us liked it any more than anyone else.

As you said though, wonder how it would have changed and evolved (or not) as things progressed, more games made use of it, and now with the current system in place for the WiiU and 3DS. One would hope something would have been worked out, but...

Ah well.
RIP NSider.

wbEMX

It's done. R.I.P. WFC. I had over 400 hrs alone with Mario Kart Online. I'm going to really miss those times, even though I'm getting MK8 on release. :/ Good times. The Wii is basically done for me, so I'm finally going to transmit my Wii data onto the Wii U today.

ripmkw1smalljpkue.jpg

Final score was 7515 VR. At least I got over 7500.^^

ripmkw2small7akl4.jpg

How much work/money would it take for Nintendo to patch the Wii and its games to allow online to continue?

Probably in Nintendo's best financial interest however for people to move on to their next console and newer games.

One of the reasons I'm hesitant to purchase new consoles is how the online can just end, large chunk of content removed from a product and so many games tout online features these days (edit)

Piccoro

How much work/money would it take for Nintendo to patch the Wii and its games to allow online to continue?

Probably in Nintendo's best financial interest however for people to move on to their next console and newer games.

One of the reasons I'm hesitant to purchase new consoles is how the online can just end, large chunk of content removed from a product as so many games have tout online features.

This affects every single console in existence and PC too.

One of the reasons I'm hesitant to purchase new consoles is how the online can just end, large chunk of content removed from a product as so many games have tout online features.

I hope this lights a fire under the gaming community's to try and save any dlc whenever possible. Maybe console manufacturers should look into finding a way to future proof downloadable content.

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
I don't think that's possible. They would need to patch every game, and that's not possible on a Wii.
It's very much possible, but likely not worth the effort in any official capacity.

This affects every single console in existence and PC too.
It doesn't affect older systems with rudimentary online that isn't reliant on central servers, and these sorts of issues are easier to circumvent on a PC.

It's very much possible, but likely not worth the effort in any official capacity.
The only way I can think of is a mail in programme so you can swap the discs or carts. If it was simpler (as in a DNS change) homebrew methods would do that rather than have to patch files on the disc. Wait, I guess also a Wii firmware capable of doing that would be more feasible though. But then comes the issues of the server code being a legal challenge.

I hope given Nintendo Network is wholly theirs that has a brighter future. Wiiconnect24s demise worries me a little in that respect.

Uh, is it still up? Might pop in for a last time :D

What appears to be happening, is that those who haven't disconnected from NWFC since the shutdown can continue playing. Those who have since disconnected from it can no longer log back in. At least that's what's happening with Mario Kart Wii.

gerudoman

What appears to be happening, is that those who haven't disconnected from NWFC since the shutdown can continue playing. Those who have since disconnected from it can no longer log back in. At least that's what's happening with Mario Kart Wii.

That's not the case of Goldeneye though. I played it hours ago, turned off the Wii and a few minutes ago I've been able to connect and play some rounds. It's strange, I thought the shutdown would affect the servers from all games at the same time.

Lindsay

Dot Hacked
Not so with Phantasy Star Ø. My 'net got briefly knocked offline which disconnected me from the game to but once it came back I was able to connect to the game online again. Maybe 3rd parties have to pull the cords on their ends?

Josh7289

It looks like the Brawl streamer can't find opponents anymore? I guess it's over, then.

EDIT: Nevermind, not yet.

EDIT 2: Okay, by now the person running that stream has lost their connection. Error Code: 98020

Mr_B_Fett

Goldeneye and the other third party games all still seem to be up on the Wii. Worked from home today with the cunning plan to spend a few hours playing GE this am until shutdown. That seems to have gone rather awry... Just a few more games then I'll start work. Honest.

Dizzy

Banned
smash bros was a lagfest but I still enjoyed it. Mario Kart was awesome, luckily we're just weeks away from a new online mario kart.

R.I.P Nintendo wi-fi :(

Goldeneye and the other third party games all still seem to be up on the Wii. Worked from home today with the cunning plan to spend a few hours playing GE this am until shutdown. That seems to have gone rather awry... Just a few more games then I'll start work. Honest.

Yeah, I'm going to try the CODs now. To see if they're still up.

Edit: Yep, Modern Warfare is still live.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom