• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Ending Wi-Fi Connection Worldwide on May 20th

Status
Not open for further replies.

Elija2

Goldeneye and the other third party games all still seem to be up on the Wii. Worked from home today with the cunning plan to spend a few hours playing GE this am until shutdown. That seems to have gone rather awry... Just a few more games then I'll start work. Honest.

Is it just Goldeneye and the Call of Duty games or are there other games that are still up?

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
So I just realised I can't copy The Last Story save data onto a memory card so I guess I can't move it from the Wii U back to my homebrewed Wii to unlock the final dyes with Ocarina codes. Oh well.

So I just realised I can't copy The Last Story save data onto a memory card so I guess I can't move it from the Wii U back to my homebrewed Wii to unlock the final dyes with Ocarina codes. Oh well.
If you have Brawl you might be able to run one of the save copying homebrew apps via smash stack (i.e. no homebrew channel installed).

Mr_B_Fett

Is it just Goldeneye and the Call of Duty games or are there other games that are still up?

I'm afraid I don't know. Other than Nintendo games the only ones I've touched the on-line on today have been Activision published. Should have narrowed my initial third-party statement to Activision!

Riposte

I spent an hour yesterday playing Pokemon Black 2 online... with a PvE team... ouch.

I was going to download all the Picross 3D DLC, but it seems there's a save file that will do it for you. So that's neat.

PAULINK

I microwave steaks.
R4dKIoJ.png

good night sweet prince

jrDev

Dammit! I just walked in to gamestop to pick up all the Layton's...something told me to check this thread before I made a purchase... :-/

Laws00

crazy. i played my last game of tvc and mario kart respectively yesterday and mario kart today

fun times by all

someone in the chat said PS3 online servers going down late next year and xbox 360s going on 2016.

this is the world we live in

Gamepy servers going offline next week on the 31st :(

GimMick

Interestingly, the MKDS servers are still running. I have been playing with a Japanese player for 4 hours straight without any problems (and still going !). I actually managed to get in contact with him, and we'll probably exchange our FCs to play MK7 later on after the servers finally decide to kick us out.

This is one of my best online experiences ever !

Checked all the CODs and they all work (quite populated too)

Will check Goldeneye tomorrow morning before work. I hope 3rd party servers keep running as I'd love to get back into Goldeneye. Still got it.

Eusis

Yes, but the extra puzzles are actually already on the cart and can be unlocked with Action Replay.....
I think I may need to grab one of those for everything that isn't a legit download. There just isn't any point in keeping content locked away just because I didn't get online in time.

Eusis

COD Wii is using their own online system. So they might avoided this situation.
Well, guess publishers muscling their own solutions in isn't ALWAYS bad.

I actually wonder if the same could've applied to MH3 had it not shut down far in advance anyway rendering it a moot point.

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
Interestingly, the MKDS servers are still running. I have been playing with a Japanese player for 4 hours straight without any problems (and still going !). I actually managed to get in contact with him, and we'll probably exchange our FCs to play MK7 later on after the servers finally decide to kick us out.

This is one of my best online experiences ever !
Awesome!

Elija2

Does this mean that all the third-party games that are still up will shutdown on the 31st when GameSpy shuts down all of their servers? If so, I wonder why Nintendo shut down all of their games earlier than they needed to.

IronLich

I'd assume obscure Wii tagalongs like Castlevania Judgment would still be chugging along were it not for the fact that

-The game is very poor
- Nobody played this poor game online for long enough

Persona7

Banned
If someone could capture the traffic of games like TvC we could still try to support it through wiimmfi...

I would do this right now but the wireless adapter I have has issues with softAP capture. This whole situation about the lack of captured data really sucks. It's too late now.

I'm pretty sure third party games are going to be fine at least until May 31.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2014/04/03/gamespy-multiplayer-shutting-down-hundreds-of-games-at-risk

Sources confirmed to IGN that Rockstar Games' titles will remain unaffected, as Glu has been working with developers for approximately two years to transition their games from GameSpy to other online servers.

We've contacted multiple developers and publishers asking about contingency plans to keep their games from going offline permanently.

An Activision representative explained, "Activision won't be affected." Bohemia Interactive told IGN, "Yes, we are aware of GameSpy issue and we are very near to [finding] some suitable solution, but I cant tell you more details at the moment."

Cod and Goldeneye might be fine. The article also mentions Capcom was trying to find a solution, so TvC might be fine.

May 31 is when Gamespy shuts down their servers, so we'll see what happens after that date.

matthwq

Banned
I played an incredible game of Fortune Street with my friend right before they shut the servers down. They REEEEEEEEEALLY need to get Square to make a new Fortune Street and release it here. I need my online fix. :(

Elija2

I didn't put my friend code in the new server database in time so now if I want to play on these new servers I'll have to delete all of my old profiles. I really don't want to do that in games like Brawl so I guess I'm screwed unless they come up with a way to let people keep their old profiles.

RM8

I didn't put my friend code in the new server database in time so now if I want to play on these new servers I'll have to delete all of my old profiles. I really don't want to do that in games like Brawl so I guess I'm screwed unless they come up with a way to let people keep their old profiles.
I did register in time, and I still had to delete my save file for it to work :/ Sucks, but I unlocked everything with a single Ocarina code, so it really doesn't matter IMO.

Dremark

Banned
I meant to get a last game of Tetris Ds in before the servers got shut off, but it didn't end up happening.

It's a shame things like this have to happen but time keeps moving forward.

Elija2

I did register in time, and I still had to delete my save file for it to work :/ Sucks, but I unlocked everything with a single Ocarina code, so it really doesn't matter IMO.

But I don't want to lose all of my stats and stuff.

I wonder if using a mod like Project M would allow me to go online without having to erase my profile.

RM8

I wonder if using a mod like Project M would allow me to go online without having to erase my profile.
Nope, since you still use the same FC. The idea is your Wii having to create a new FC. And yeah, losing the stats sucks... I managed to buy my copy one week before worldwide release and now I can't prove it :( But, eh, it's worth it if I can still play online. And I can! :p

RM8

Playing MKWii on the private server (Wiimm) works very well. You can even see a list of who's online at the moment and who is in each room, updated live:
http://nas.wiimmfi.de/mkw
I'm not understanding something... if I used this, then I can't play with people using Wiimm, right? :x Oh lard, I dun goofed... On Wiimm, can you play against random people? Because I can't seem to find anyone like that.

Datschge

If you want to use wiimmfi and have HBC installed just use the HBC app Automatic Wiimmfi patcher, it will patch your game disk on the fly.

And if you want to continue using your old nintendowifi profiles/FCs, use the HBC app Wiipid extractor (only supports working games) and wait about a day so it's migrated to the wiimmfi server.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom