• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo FY14 Q1: 0.82M 3DS, 0.51M Wii U, MK8 2.82M shipped, 10 billion yen loss

I don't want to downplay MK8 performance, but to be fair the bonus game promo made this purchase a no-brainer for WiiU owners, especially since it includes major first party releases. So yeah while these sales are amazing, they probably sacrificed also money that customers maybe would have spent on other software purchases.

I'm sure Mario Kart 8 would've sold wonderfully normally, but don't forget...

This contributed a LOT toward people jumping in sooner than they would have. Mario Kart 8 was effectively 50% off if you were interested in any of these games. Not to mention other retailer discounts running at the same time. (For example, I got MK8, a free Pikmin, AND Donkey Kong: Tropical Freeze for 40% off, all in the same transaction.)

They took a big future sales hit on making sure their biggest gun was successful and drew in as many people as possible to the console.

People really shouldn't be so surprised about MK8. The promise of a free game is what's doing all the magic.

EDIT: Lol, just one post above me.

Let's also not forget Japan had a shit offer yet Mario Kart 8 still sold very well there. So, I'm not sure about all this.

Bruno MB

Wasn't the 2DS a fairly big success? I'm surprised they haven't released it in Japan yet where handhelds are a pretty big deal still.

Nintendo 2DS hasn't even reached 2.5 million units shipped worldwide. When it was announced I thought that that was what Nintendo's portable needed to reach a broader audience. One could argue that maybe it looks too cheap for today's standards, kids are already used to sophisticated smartphones or tablets, or that maybe it should have been priced at $99. But I don't know, when something fails so miserably means that there is simply not a market for a device like this.

Nintendo 2DS shipments:

April - June 2014

Americas - 80,000 (1,220,000 LTD)
Other - 130,000 (1,190,000 LTD)

Total - 210,000 (2,420,000 LTD)

Oh, really?.. I disagree :)

Perhaps this particular thing isn't the most influential, BUT it's a mistake in the news. AND the fact it's a DLC is in itself news of the change in the way Nintendo does business and marketing. Which will have huge impact in the sales in the long run.

Delusional.

For that to matter, the point at which the DLC releases doesn't matter. And to think the Benz DLC will have a meaningful effect on sales of MK8 and subsequently affect the stock price is a positive way is wishful thinking.

Who said it will be positive? ;)

And to think this kind of "product placement" DLC is irrelevant is just... o.0

ZSaberLink

Media Create Maven
They dont have proper accounts. It is behind ms and sony which are themselves behind ios, Google play, and steam.

This would be a proper account.
Buy games for the nintendo platform or account.
Play games on all compatible Nintendo hardware. Ie nes games anywhere with buttons, wiiu games on wiiu. Etc.
All nintendo hardware uses same account so you never lose your content when upgrading hardware. Even if you cant play all games on all hardware everything is same account. Ie ipad only ios games.
Manage games and linked hardware independently ONLINE. non of this hardware tied bullshit.

These are the expectations going forward for digital content.

And yes 3ds sucks sorry. It is a subjective and relative term, but consumers are choosing to game elsewhere.

I want to play Nintendo games but they have to get me to buy in. Im not remotely saying go third party. Im saying get it right.

If an account system was clearly the answer then the Vita would be flying off shelves right? I do think that a variable price scheme, etc. would help the 3DS make its value proposition better, but it's not going to suddenly change the tide for the console. Nintendo has started experimenting with the price scheme in the US and I see even retail 3DS games have dropped to about $30-35 on launch. Mobile developers are also starting to struggle and their ridiculously low price scheme is killing them as well.

While it's pretty bad research on their side, incorrectly mentioning that this minor DLC has already been out does not have an influence on the share price of Nintendo. The DLC is too miniscule to have a meaningful effect on the sales of the game.

Uh... them saying "you can drive a Benz car" (even though it IS a feature coming) will absolutely not impact anything whatsoever.

So do you agree that Lucina being in Smash Bros for 3DS/Wii U will affect Nintendo stock?

I think the Amiibos part is very interesting. Amiibos are probably the main reason why Nintendo shares surged high in the past two months. I imagine Iwata/Investors are placing a lot of faith in them to drive the company's financials this FY.

Longsword

Japan used to be Nintendo's biggest market, but now the situation there is this.

What Mario Kart needs to do is to sell consoles. It is selling incredibly well to the existing customer base, but it is not growing their business. 80% of the copies were sold to existing WiiU owners.

But to me the biggest concern is the deterioration of their handheld business, which is their bread and butter.

Quality of Life and the Amiibos cannot come too soon to help the ailing console business for Nintendo.

This continuous loss quarter after quarter has to be stopped. it is very hard to their claims for future profits and shipments seriously in the light of these kind of results.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
Is it fair to say those MK sales wouldn't be responsible if it wasn't for Luigi?

AniHawk

That's quite a misnomer. They're actually not. Their output has been equal, if not better, in quality, and higher in quantity across both platforms over the last few years compared to both platforms over any other period.

It's the lack of third party titles that is making it seem like they have issues, when Nintendo themselves do not.

nintendo publishes around 20-24 games in a given year across the 2-4 systems they'll support at any given moment (OH 2012 WHAT A WONDROUS TIME). when there are fewer platforms, or platforms they're focusing on less, those tend to suffer as far as releases go. see the gba from 2001-2007, the gc from 2005-2006, the ds from 2008-2012, the 3ds's 2014, and so on and so forth. it takes so much time and money to train everyone on two new pieces of hardware every 4 years or so and they have to keep hiring more people and take more time to do it whenever it happens.

quality is subjective. i'd argue it's been pretty consistently good since 2004, the output on the ds notwithstanding. quantity is fairly easily measured, and as you point out the lack of third-party releases makes these platforms look particularly barren in terms of lineup.

ideally a multi-device approach using the same library would ease the learning curve (so there's only one platform to get to know), reduce gaps in release dates, and allow nintendo to come up with unique and profitable hardware that they see fit. for instance, imagine if the wii u this year had its current releases plus what the 3ds had. it would look like this:

february:
bravely default
dkctf

march:
yoshi's new island

april:
disney magical world

may:
mario kart 8
mario golf: world tour
kirby triple deluxe

june:
tomodachi life

...instead of this:

february:
dkc tf

may:
mario kart 8

it would also prevent similar games from coming out somewhat close to one another, like nsmb2 and nsmbu, two very similar smash bros. games (which seems increasingly like a bad idea), or even super mario 3d land and super mario 3d world. there would be a little more breathing room and time for experimentation.

ideally, of course.

I think the Amiibos part is very interesting. Amiibos are probably the main reason why Nintendo shares surged high in the past two months. I imagine Iwata/Investors are placing a lot of faith in them to drive the company's financials this FY.

What do amiibos have to do with the Benz DLC in MK8?

Did Bloomberg ever reported that thing? That's kinda hilarious that they know those things.

They didn't. But that's akin to you claiming that a one-time free Benz DLC will affect NTDOY stock in any way. It won't even impact MK8 software sales.

ZSaberLink

Media Create Maven
Also I don't seem to understand the "omg the 3DS has no software this year". I agree that the big hitters weren't there like last year, but as you can see those big hitters didn't increase hardware sales that much either. I guess they kept the hardware sales somewhat steady though.

2014 (US):
Bravely Default
Yoshi's New Island
Disney Magical World
Mario Golf: World Tour
Kirby's Triple Deluxe
Tomodachi Life
---
upcoming
Persona Q
Theathrhythm Curtain Call
Layton v. Ace Attorney
Smash 3DS
Fantasy Life
Pokemon ORAS

Sure, western third parties have never supported the 3DS, but Nintendo has managed to scrounge together a decent enough lineup w/ itself and Japanese 3rd parties that still make a title or two for the system.

I do honestly think there's a market for a truly portable 3DS. Both the XL and 2DS are both not very portable, and the regular 3DS has basically stopped selling. Nintendo could still use a revision in Japan as that's where I'd think it'd have the most impact. As such, if they were investing in a revision in Japan that was different than the 2DS, I could see that at least selling the existing customer base kind of like the XL did. It also might sell to folks who found the 3DS as it was very not portable.

JoeM86

nintendo publishes around 20-24 games in a given year across the 2-4 systems they'll support at any given moment (OH 2012 WHAT A WONDROUS TIME). when there are fewer platforms, or platforms they're focusing on less, those tend to suffer as far as releases go. see the gba from 2001-2007, the gc from 2005-2006, the ds from 2008-2012, the 3ds's 2014, and so on and so forth. it takes so much time and money to train everyone on two new pieces of hardware every 4 years or so and they have to keep hiring more people and take more time to do it whenever it happens.

quality is subjective. i'd argue it's been pretty consistently good since 2004, the output on the ds notwithstanding. quantity is fairly easily measured, and as you point out the lack of third-party releases makes these platforms look particularly barren in terms of lineup.

ideally a multi-device approach using the same library would ease the learning curve (so there's only one platform to get to know), reduce gaps in release dates, and allow nintendo to come up with unique and profitable hardware that they see fit. for instance, imagine if the wii u this year had its current releases plus what the 3ds had. it would look like this:

february:
bravely default
dkctf

march:
yoshi's new island

april:
disney magical world

may:
mario kart 8
mario golf: world tour
kirby triple deluxe

june:
tomodachi life

...instead of this:

february:
dkc tf

may:
mario kart 8

it would also prevent similar games from coming out somewhat close to one another, like nsmb2 and nsmbu, two very similar smash bros. games (which seems increasingly like a bad idea), or even super mario 3d land and super mario 3d world. there would be a little more breathing room and time for experimentation.

ideally, of course.

Even though Nintendo intends to have a unified artchitecture/OS, I really wouldn't expect them to suddenly be releasing titles across both formats. That won't happen, I can almost promise it.

You think stock will tank because they released a small free "cool thing" DLC? Something that won't bring too much attention to it (ex. Tomodatchi controversy)?

No. Why on earth would I think that?

But I do think Nintendo is testing out different style of DLC and in-game purchases which they haven't do so much in the past.

And as part of that, one of them is clear advertisement and product placement of other companies such as Mercedes Benz.

Does this have any effect in the stock.. Who the hell knows? I don't.

But it's an important fact to anyone who is interested in the way ninty does business.

I thought we're talking about the Bloomberg article?

We were specifically talking about how the Benz DLC will (read: won't) affect NTDOY share price. A user said that "misreporting that you can play in a Benz vehicle" when such content is not yet released will impact the share price:

Remains to be seen..

Something coming isn't something you already have and can be used.. I know I'm splitting hairs.. But still. It's not released yet. Bloomberg is a financial magazine, these things make a difference in sales and especially future sales.. One would think they'd be more precise?
--

No. Why on earth would I think that?

But I do think Nintendo is testing out different style of DLC and in-game purchases which they haven't do so much in the past.

And as part of that one of the is clear advertisement and product placement of other companies such as Mercedes Benz.

Does this have any effect in the stock.. Who the hell knows? I don't.

But it's an important fact to anyone who is interested in the way ninty does business.

You said "Who said it will be positive? ;)" implying a negative effect on stock, as that was what you were replying to. Also, they didn't really misreport. The DLC is a thing, and it is coming. Them saying "you can drive in a Benz" when the DLC is a few weeks away won't change anything (even the "effects" you claim will act upon the NTDOY share price).

Shiggy

Who said it will be positive? ;)

And to think this kind of "product placement" DLC is irrelevant is just... o.0

It's pretty much irrelevant to the sales of this game as well as to the share price of Nintendo. I'll stand by that. Do you seriously think that Mercedes car is going to sell people on the game?

Pikma

Banned
I don't really see the benefit of Nintendo doing multiplatform releases (handheld & home console), I mean, I know it'd benefit the WiiU but it would also kill their handheld business, just like Sony killed the Vita when all they did was release console ports. I'm not sure about what the ideal plan going forward is, but I don't think that's the one.

No.

But it is a change in the way Nintedo does business.

Yup it's a real game changer.

Circa 2004:
1287105-pikmin_2.jpg

random25

They didn't. But that's akin to you claiming that a one-time free Benz DLC will affect NTDOY stock in any way. It won't even impact MK8 software sales.

I'm just specifically replying to this:

Bloomberg is a financial magazine. This will not impact the sales of NTDOY stock/shares.

Though I may interpret it differently. Just saying that Bloomberg affects NTDOY in the business side the way IGN affects the gaming buyers. Not really into the specifics of what they said on the said article.

I'm just specifically replying to this:

Though I may interpret it differently. Just saying that Bloomberg affects NTDOY in the business side the way IGN affects the gaming buyers. Not really into the specifics of what they said on the said article.

I don't disagree that Bloomberg affects NTDOY. I disagree that this "misreporting" of the Benz DLC as making it seem as though its available right now will affect stock, which is what the other user was claiming.

I remember a time, in 1996, when people said that about the GameBoy...

Then they need to get their ass on a disruptive product like Pokémon ASAP.

Also markets have change. There weren't other portable devices being refreshed every year back then. iPhone 4 (when 3DS launched) to iPhone 6s (when next handheld will presumably launch) is a huge jump in just about every category.

Shiggy

No.

But it is a change in the way Nintedo does business.

I'd agree if Mercedes was going to do a big cross-promotion for it. That will not happen in Western territories as it would deteriorate the brand image of Mercedes cars - they are presented as upper class cars over here. Something like Renault did with the Rabbids appears rather unthinkable.

AniHawk

i can almost assure you nothing would suddenly rocket the 3ds's sales to unforeseen heights. at least pokemon was an unknown in 1996. there's no unknown that could have such an effect on the 3ds, because the only unknown right now is codename steam. i mean maybe yokai watch, but that's basically also pokemon and level-5 seems to have no intention on releasing it outside japan.

random25

I don't disagree that Bloomberg affects NTDOY. I disagree that this "misreporting" of the Benz DLC as making it seem as though its available right now will affect stock, which is what the other user was claiming.

Yeah, my bad. I agree that miniscule factual errors that are unrelated to business won't much affect investors. They just look at the numbers and the forecasts and stuff like that.

Though as a professional news site, at least they need to be more accurate. :p

Yeah, my bad. I agree that miniscule factual errors that are unrelated to business won't much affect investors. They just look at the numbers and the forecasts and stuff like that.

Though as a professional news site, at least they need to be more accurate. :p

They are accurate: you can drive in a Benz car.

This is like IGN reporting, "You can make Mario levels in Mario Maker." Sure the software isn't available to the general public yet, but you can still do it.

Duxxy3

It needs replacing, not overhauling. It's too late for any kind of meaningful revision.

3 years and it's almost done. Unbelievable really.

Not sure if it's better to innovate in this scenario, or to go back to something that worked better.

Striek

Time to start revising down dat 3DS forecast...again.

Tough position for Nintendo going forward. 3DS is fading fast, Wii U is dead, who knows how viable new platforms will be to replace them. Very little third-party support, weak software lineups into the future, growing development costs.

Need a hook, but attempting to catch lightning in a bottle isn't an easy (or sound) strategy.

Do you really?

I don't really see the benefit of Nintendo doing multiplatform releases (handheld & home console), I mean, I know it'd benefit the WiiU but it would also kill their handheld business, just like Sony killed the Vita when all they did was release console ports. I'm not sure about what the ideal plan going forward is, but I don't think that's the one.

The benefit is that Nintendo can ostensibly continue supporting the Wii U on paper while actually abandoning development for the new system. Upressed handheld games aren't going to do much on consoles and they know it. It's too late for the Wii U but they still have an obligation to release something on it until 2016 roles around.

Duxxy3

Time to start revising down dat 3DS forecast...again.

Tough position for Nintendo going forward. 3DS is fading fast, Wii U is dead, who knows how viable new platforms will be to replace them. Very little third-party support, weak software lineups into the future, growing development costs.

Need a hook, but attempting to catch lightning in a bottle isn't an easy (or sound) strategy.

Options are to move forward, and hope that they can get another Wii/DS, or go backwards and maybe lose profits, but gain stability.

It's actually around 42% and nowhere near 50%.

It's actually somewhat south of 42%, because there are lots of copies of Mario Kart 8 sitting on shelves waiting to be purchased.

I'd guess 35% is closer to the number than 42%. (35% could be 2.1 million MK8 sold and 6 million WiiUs)

Also I don't seem to understand the "omg the 3DS has no software this year". I agree that the big hitters weren't there like last year, but as you can see those big hitters didn't increase hardware sales that much either. I guess they kept the hardware sales somewhat steady though.

2014 (US):
Bravely Default
Yoshi's New Island
Disney Magical World
Mario Golf: World Tour
Kirby's Triple Deluxe
Tomodachi Life
---
upcoming
Persona Q
Theathrhythm Curtain Call
Layton v. Ace Attorney
Smash 3DS
Fantasy Life
Pokemon ORAS

Sure, the big hitters didn't suddenly turn over hardware like lightning, but this year's lineup sure isn't helping whatever momentum the system built last year. I mean, I've enjoyed it, but the handheld market used to be more casual, and those games don't seem to have made an effect on the casual market (for whatever varied and debatable reasons).

DarkMehm

I don't unterstand the constant demanding of another revision for the 3DS. So you get to buy your 4th 3DS system and build up your worthless 3DS collection? Nintendo wouldn't get anything out of this. The 3DS isn't a lifestyle product the DS was, so the revision wouldn't get millions of new people to suddenly go out and buy the product. 90% of the buyers would be upgraders. What's the point in increasing the hardware number by a couple of millions just to make it look better?

Top Bottom