• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo is Discontinuing the NES Classic in North America

Zedark

Still don't believe in artificial scarcity?
No? They don't gain any more money from this cancellation, only scalpers do. They used the product as a stopgap for the holidays, and it has server its purple and is now put away in favour of current hardware.

Anth0ny

They're going to do this shit every year. Either NES2 or SNES this year.

Super limited release from November to April. All hype for the Nintendo brand. These are never meant to sit on shelves.

Gator86

This whole situation was a complete joke. Minuscule shipments, no preorders, no real commitment to restocking it in the face of insane demand. It's so annoying because of how easily avoided it all could have been. They seriously made this whole mess themselves.

Nintendo is incredibly conservative and also incompetent. This was always going to be the result.

Randomizer

Remember the scare a month or two ago that they were already discontinuing it?

They've basically just waited out the people who wanted one but could no longer be fucked waiting and looking for one.

Doorman

I'd always felt pretty sure that this was just meant to be a quick stopgap to get them some cash during the holiday season with no big Wii U titles and the Switch not out yet, so this is no surprise for me.

I'd bet they want to get those production assets working full time on making new Switch units to meet their expanded forecast.

It was a limited-release product. Scarcity is exactly what it strived for. It's not really hard to grasp.

I'm sure Nintendo could keep on making a profit if it turned it into a regular product, but given how easily hackable it is, doing so could put a dent on their VC plans for the Switch.

oh didnt know it was meant to be a limited release product

bman94

The fuck is your logic behind this Nintendo?

"Wow, this is doing a lot better than we anticipated, better shut down everything!"

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
To the people saying it's because VC is coming to the Switch; sorry but that makes no sense. The same people who wanted this aren't going to spend $299 + the cost of a game to play an old VC when it could have been had for $60.

Instead life will go on and Nintendo gets nothing.

I think the problem is that they expected this to be a cheap stocking stuffer item like the Genesis one, or the various Atari/Pacman ones etc you see in drug stores, the wal-mart toy section etc. and were surprised when it became in huge demand among core gamers on sites like this.

That probably did cause them to think they'd lose out on VC game sales from that crowd if they bought the 30 games this way, and they decided it wasn't worth getting the casuals at the drug store to lose out on the whales who buy tons of VC games potentially.

I think that's misguided, but there's little other reason for them to not keep making them when demand is there as they're walking away from cash--unless they think they can make more cash by stopping it and hoping they sell enough NES VC games for $5 a pop.

It's pretty clear you guys are missing just how brilliant Nintendo is here.

Nintendo's decisions are consistently like getting a 0 on a 1000-question, 4-multiple choice test without a penalty system. It's so statistically unlikely, the only answer can be that they know the right decisions to make, and then INTENTIONALLY go counter to them!

I for one applaud Nintendo!

Felensis

Banned
Calm down people. I can't speak for all territories, but at least in my region there were several restocks after the post-christmas drought. There were several chances to get one. The only thing which annoys me is that I couldn't get a second original controller.

Kthulhu

they hate consumers. they know how to make money

30 games on the NES Classic - a profit of a couple dollars
30 games on the VC - a profit of a couple of hundred dollars

Like I said in my previous post, The NES classic probably had a minimal effect on sales, if any.

Lothars

oh didnt know it was meant to be a limited release product
It was never announced as a limited release but now they are claiming it was.

Calm down people. I can't speak for all territories, but at least in my region there were several restocks after the post-christmas drought. There were several chances to get one. The only thing which annoys me is that I couldn't get a second original controller.
They have had restocks but it's been very hard to get them since launch.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
A lot, I'd imagine. Remember, Nintendo is vigilant at trying to stop hacks on their systems in any way possible. The NES Classic ended up being fairly easy to hack, and they have no way to stop it (unless they fully redesign the system). Putting out more units only makes it easier for more people to access ROMs that Nintendo would much rather keep exclusive to their new, very important Switch ecosystem.

I keep seeing this in the thread and it makes no sense at all. All these games can be downloaded and played on every device imaginable, in much easier methods than this device.

They're going to do this shit every year. Either NES2 or SNES this year.

Super limited release from November to April. All hype for the Nintendo brand. These are never meant to sit on shelves.

I could see them skipping one this year, due to Switch demand, but this type of product will absolutely return during some future Holiday season. And everyone pissed in this thread will be scrambling to get one.

shanafan

Who knows why Nintendo discontinued it.

Could be a number of reasons... how easy it was to hack? Maybe high licensing costs? The current focus is now on the Switch?

To the people saying it's because VC is coming to the Switch; sorry but that makes no sense. The same people who wanted this aren't going to spend $299 + the cost of a game to play an old VC when it could have been had for $60.

Instead life will go on and Nintendo gets nothing.

That's the point. VC games on Switch are a bad value proposition in comparison to the NES Classic. Lots of Switch owners would have just bought the NES Classic, rather than pay $5 per title.

Yukinari

Whether or not you believe its artificial scarcity is no excuse for why they cant stock them plentifully. The US has a Nintendo site that never gets used for shit. Put some NES Classics up on there in limited quantities every so often.

thatJohann

Because it would compete with the Switch's Virtual Console.

Fine by me. I wasn't getting a NES Classic anyway, I'm waiting for VC on Switch.

Lothars

I could see them skipping one this year, due to Switch demand, but this type of product will absolutely return during some future Holiday season. And everyone pissed in this thread will be scrambling to get one.
So? That doesn't make this any less bullshit.

Kadin

Still never found one for me and my dad. I hate that I had to give up looking but it was just ridiculous trying to find one locally and I wasn't about to pay the price people want in my local craigslist ads. Ah well, luckily I think my dad finally forgot about it and has moved on.

Nintendo has an obligation to protect it's properties, however. If the public were allowed free reign with them, they run the risk of having their values diminished. That is of greater value than the money made on these.
Their value is diminishing cuz they are slow at making more of their stuff.

Sulik2

Millions of dollars of revenue left on the table through sheer incompetence. This pretty much sums up modern Nintendo.

Stiler

You make a product, there's a huge demand for it, and then you decide "eh, lets just stop making it, who wants all that money? Not I."

This makes absolutely zero sense...

The ONLY people that this benefits is scalpers, Nintendo doesn't win, consumers really don't win, just scalpers.

Instro

This company makes no sense sometimes. Like their literal mission statement for their mobile games is to drive people back to their consoles, but they could easily position this device to do the same by including Switch advertising or coupons in the box. It sells out in minutes, and was getting incredible interest, and word of mouth, from the general population. Why they would stop producing these is beyond me.

Smeags

Not really a surprising move, as unforyunate as it is. As for its purpose, the system was always going to be a holiday 2016 focused item, as Nintendo desperstely needed a must have holiday seller. Switch wasnt ready and Wii U had been a legacy system since that spring. The aged (yet solid) 3DS wasnt enough to take advantage of the holiday.

NES Classic was cost effective, immediately recognizable by the public, and once again put Nintendo on the minds and lips of the consumer, so that they could use that momentum for thier benefit going into 2017 with the Switch.

As awesome as it is, the NES was always going to be a stop gap product, and that really sucks.

Top Bottom