• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo NX rumored to use Nvidia's Pascal GPU architecture

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://twitter.com/directfeedgames/status/759072574777196544

I trust my contact. They were very direct and confident about it.

Nate is legit on these things. Not saying this as a reference to myself, but so are others. Let things come together nintendo is pulling at people right now and I think they are liking what they see.

I shat on when I leaked certain cpu details I wasn't suppose to. It's a lot better than initial concept, I know it doesn't please everyone but nintendo is actively wanting this machine to be solid and that reminds me of when they built n64 or gc vs the last two machines.

Neoxon

In theory, should this be able to compare to the Xbox One when docked (since there wouldn't be any concerns for pushing pixels or conserving battery life)? If so, it would line up with earlier rumors from GAF insiders stating that porting PS4/XB1 games shouldn't be an issue.

mikeyvids

Neo Member
Wasn't this established as leaked news days ago? Is there anything new to this confirmation I'm missing?

It's my understanding that X1 / X2 are both based on Pascal. Nintendo will have their own variation of either chipset.

maxcriden

What does this mean in layman's terms?

And, did NateDrake share anything else?

Thank you Nate for sharing any info with us!

Oregano

Wasn't this established as leaked news days ago? Is there anything new to this confirmation I'm missing?

It's my understanding that X1 / X2 are both based on Pascal. Nintendo will have their own variation of either chipset.

X1 is based on Maxwell I believe. Not that I know what that means apart from Pascal being newer/better.

Neoxon

I believe the X1 is Maxwell-based, correct me if I'm wrong. Pascal is the new kid on the block for Nvidia.

I trust my contact. They were very direct and confident about it.

tumblr_mto1lq2AA21qmk3pno1_500.gif

Rumors and leaks went out of control.

Behold, people! Youtubers and streamers are outdated! Being a leaker is the new successful job on the Internet.

LCGeek

formerly sane
How reputable is the source? Do they have a history of accurate leaks?

that speculation has been intense in the last 3 weeks.... take that as you will. Like I said next two months and this platform gonna be mighty fine time to pay attention.

Pascal is the architecture, it doesn't tell us on what end of the power spectrum it's actually going to be.

TFLops aren't the only way of measuring power. Architecture says an incredible amount if one is taking the rumor seriously especially considering what GC to WiiU is using is well below anything nvidia has done since the fermi architecture. Pascal is 2 gens ahead and the IPC/Power gains are among some of the best we have seen in 20 years.

Hindl

What does this mean in layman's terms?

And, did NateDrake share anything else?

Thank you Nate for sharing any info with us!

Pascal is more power efficient than the X1, which is Maxwell. From my understanding this doesn't mean it's more powerful, but would allow for higher clock rates without overheating or sapping the battery life. And it's the newest Nvidia architecture, which would align with that "industry-leading chip design" leak from a few months ago

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
After lying to Elena throughout Uncharted 4, I dont trust anything Nate Drake has to say about anything.

maxcriden

It means that the NX allegedly uses the newest Nvidia architecture.

Thank you. I just didn't know if that meant it would be more comparable to an XB1 or something in power than a Wii U.

I really know/understand very little of the tech side, so I often ask for these sorts of things in layman's terms. Maybe I'm on the extreme luddite side of layman, but for me just knowing it's the newest architecture isn't dumbed down enough for me to really understand what this means on the consumer end.

Pascal is more power efficient than the X1, which is Maxwell. From my understanding this doesn't mean it's more powerful, but would allow for higher clock rates without overheating or sapping the battery life. And it's the newest Nvidia architecture, which would align with that "industry-leading chip design" leak from a few months ago

Ahh, I see. Thank you.

MDX

Click-bloop-thwack
Click-bloop-thwack
Click-bloop-thwack

At NVIDIA, that’s the sound of engineers bonding.

Twice a week you’ll find a group of about a dozen NVIDIANs gathered at our “secret gaming room,” an old couch in an obscure corner of our Silicon Valley headquarters, to huddle around a 20-year-old cathode-ray TV set with the volume turned way up.

Our engineers are at the cutting-edge. But sometimes they just want to grab a controller, fire up a vintage Nintendo GameCube, and jump into Super Smash Bros., a game they’ve been playing almost their entire lives...

Secret Gaming Room

The group started last year when NVIDIA opened its cutting-edge eSports Studio (see “Our GeForce eSports Studio Brings in Gamers from Around NVIDIA, and the World”). NVIDIANs would pile into the studio to sharpen their skills on the latest multiplayer online battle arena games, then unwind over classic Nintendo games.

“People love Nintendo,” says Matthew DeNovio, the NVIDIA Super Smash Bros. club’s founder and organizer, who would stash his old TV set and vintage Nintendo GameCube in a closet at our eSports studio. “People would come for the studio, and stay for Smash.”

“Nintendo understands game feel to a ‘T,’” says GPU engineer Phillip Woytowitz. “It’s a very poetic game, it’s really about self-expression.”

“You never really master it,” says Eric.

The result: a very NVIDIA kind of bonding experience. “More than once I’ve been gaming, looked up and it’s midnight, and there’s one of the security guards, and it’s like ‘Hey,’” says Matthew. “‘here’s one of the security guards checking in on us again.’”

super_smash_playing.jpg

https://blogs.nvidia.com/blog/2016/07/12/nvidia-super-smash-bros/

manueldelalas

Time Traveler
It makes sense, the rumors talked about dev kits having active cooling X1, not something Nintendo likes, but that should be the final power, similar to X1.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but being Pascal more efficient, this means a new SoC with the power mentioned, but much more efficient, thus eliminating or diminishing the need of active cooling.

Cerium

It makes sense, the rumors talked about dev kits having active cooling X1, not something Nintendo likes, but that should be the final power, similar to X1.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but being Pascal more efficient, this means a new SoC with the power mentioned, but much more efficient, thus eliminating or diminishing the need of active cooling.

The rumors also talked about the X1 being overlocked, indicating the final chip would be more powerful.

So we're talking performance equal to an overlocked X1 at minimum.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom