• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo NX rumored to use Nvidia's Pascal GPU architecture

Status
Not open for further replies.

KHlover

Banned
Why don't mods lock this thread? Not like anyone has anything substantial to say right now and if they do - mods are just a PM away and could unlock on request.

I'm a bit astonished about all these threads about new systems etc, before the system is oficially announced (or "properly leaked"). I remember the crazy Wii U thread and I have to admit that it was fun sometimes with the crazy guesses or hopes of the people but sad others (mainly with the people that was too involved emotionally with the brand and had high hopes with the power of the machine).

This is why I said my congrats the other day, I didn't think this kind of threads where almost anything relevant happens could have more than 100+ pages.

End of the offtopic.

You know, the thirst is real and people have nothing but hopes and dreams based on tiny details.

ggx2ac

So, any more speculation and tech talk on the NX? The last several pages of this thread have turned into reveal date guesses and 'my feelings, losing sanity, help me!' posts, a general NX thread basically. Miss the tech talk and analysis.

Unless something pops up over the weekend. Everyone's pretty much taking a break to you know, relax.

We'll continue when Hot Chips comes up on August 22nd so it's not that long.

I'm a bit astonished about all these threads about new systems etc, before the system is oficially announced (or "properly leaked"). I remember the crazy Wii U thread and I have to admit that it was fun sometimes with the crazy guesses or hopes of the people but sad others (mainly with the people that was too involved emotionally with the brand and had high hopes with the power of the machine).

This is why I said my congrats the other day, I didn't think this kind of threads where almost anything relevant happens could have more than 100+ pages.

On the bolded: Oh they're around, not here, but they're out there.

Anyway, I just noticed we're at 126 pages, we could've spent another 20 more talking about the small info Rosti gave about the SCD acting as a local cloud device because it's creator(?) commented about it and it made me want to speculate if it could be used on the 3DS and Wii U. Considering how Kimishima didn't see NX as replacing 3DS or Wii U but, technically they are supposed to be replaced since I just remembered we're supposed to be moving on from hardware-based systems to account-based systems for software moving forward.

Banned
Why don't mods lock this thread? Not like anyone has anything substantial to say right now and if they do - mods are just a PM away and could unlock on request.
The mods don't care about the NX. Nobody cares about the NX. Devs don't care about the NX.

J

Jpop

Unconfirmed Member

Because another thread would just be opened by someone to discuss the same things going down in his thread.

Peterc

Are you going to buy a NX?

Agree, but thats also with other threads like ps4 neo, scorpio,...

We are getting some small info and maybe soon we know more.

So I don't see any reason why to close it and open next week maybe a new thread...

As long as we don't go off topic and start making insane posts, they generally will not bother.

What are the expected improvements are we expecting from X1 Maxwell Tegra to Pascal Tegra?

Peterc

As long as we don't go off topic and start making insane posts, they generally will not bother.

What are the expected improvements are we expecting from X1 Maxwell Tegra to Pascal Tegra?

Pascal1.png

Anyway, I just noticed we're at 126 pages, we could've spent another 20 more talking about the small info Rosti gave about the SCD acting as a local cloud device because it's creator(?) commented about it and it made me want to speculate if it could be used on the 3DS and Wii U. Considering how Kimishima didn't see NX as replacing 3DS or Wii U but, technically they are supposed to be replaced since I just remembered we're supposed to be moving on from hardware-based systems to account-based systems for software moving forward.

We also have LCGeek hinting that streaming is somehow a big part of the NX features. I'm not sure if the 3DS or Wii U could be capable of serving as SCDs or connecting to SCDs, but the local cloud aspect of SCDs seems to be a very interesting and potentially important feature of the NX, so I wouldn't be surprised to see it in some capacity at launch.

If we don't salvage this thread what am I supposed to do during work!??!

MuchoMalo

Banned
Well, that last page and the fact that September is looking unlikely is making me think that this thread may have run its course...

I really hope that it doesn't miss September, though, or else AMD YouTube Brigade will declare Eurogamer debunked and convince a lot of other people of the same, which will be quite annoying.

This doesn't totally apply here because the X1 is on 20nm while the Maxwell dGPUs are all on 28nm. Also, as usual, the gains were slightly exaggerated.

Steph_E.

Rösti;214082373 said:
A certain happening that was inhibiting, in my opinion, any greater developments in terms of announcements, occurred a small amount of time ago. Its lapse does however not equal any announcement happening today or soon, but it hopefully was one of the last hurdles to overcome before Nintendo announces when, how and where NX will be revealed.

Maybe Nintendo finally have a complete, working NX in their hands, which they can show off. Perhaps Reggie decided "it's only a box" is not a good way to promote your new hardware.

thefro

t1471903200z4.png

Countdown to the Tegra-Next Hot Chips presentation.

It seems like you have to register for the conference to access the slides/presentation video (last year they didn't make them free until December), so we'll be relying on press reports.

Banned
t1471903200z4.png

It seems like you have to register for the conference to access the slides/presentation video (last year they didn't make them free until December), so we'll be relying on press reports.
I doubt anything substantial comes out of this. Nvidia isn't gonna announce additional projected revenue for the Tegra X2 or anything beyond automotive wins until Nintendo reveals the NX.

Should be fun to see its specs though and what it can pull off with passive cooling.

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
t1471903200z4.png

It's like that with the burning potatoes. Inquisitive readers should follow EE|Times for timely info.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Well, that last page and the fact that September is looking unlikely is making me think that this thread may have run its course...

I really hope that it doesn't miss September, though, or else AMD YouTube Brigade will declare Eurogamer debunked and convince a lot of other people of the same, which will be quite annoying.

I must have missed this fact in previous pages.

R

Rösti

Unconfirmed Member
t1471903200z4.png

The slide presentations are usually not made public until a few months after the event has ended. So yes, press reports will be our main source.

There's also the "Ultra-Performance Pascal GPU and NVLink Interconnect" presentation by NVIDIA 9:45 AM PDT on Monday, August 22.

I doubt anything substantial comes out of this. Nvidia isn't gonna announce additional projected revenue for the Tegra X2 or anything beyond automotive wins until Nintendo reveals the NX.

Should be fun to see its specs though and what it can pull off with passive cooling.

Well, yeah, that's what most of us have been expecting from the conference this whole thread. Definitely not expecting any mention of Nintendo or NX.

MuchoMalo

Banned
I must have missed this fact in previous pages.

Harker says that they might miss pre-TGS, and really there isn't much reason to reveal in September if they can't hit TGS so they might choose to wait to avoid affecting 3DS holiday sales. Most of that is mu opinion of course, but the thing is that Nintendo has historically always targeted pre-TGS for these kinds of events.

Well, there is one thing interesting here. Nvidia has been clear that Parker is aimed at automotive, yet this section of Hot Chips is focused on mobile.

Banned

This doesn't totally apply here because the X1 is on 20nm while the Maxwell dGPUs are all on 28nm. Also, as usual, the gains were slightly exaggerated.
That's the secret, Malo. It was always AMD.

maxcriden

We also have LCGeek hinting that streaming is somehow a big part of the NX features. I'm not sure if the 3DS or Wii U could be capable of serving as SCDs or connecting to SCDs, but the local cloud aspect of SCDs seems to be a very interesting and potentially important feature of the NX, so I wouldn't be surprised to see it in some capacity at launch.

If we don't salvage this thread what am I supposed to do during work!??!

Hm, I missed that hint. Got a link perchance?

Steph_E.

Look at the facts: NX was announced March 2015 in tandem with the 5 mobile game partership with DeNA. The reason for NX's being announced there was to assuage fears that Nintendo was exiting hardware...or was it? Perhaps NX ties in with the mobile games in some way (which would make sense given the Eurogamer rumors).

Assuming NX/mobile game tie in, it would make sense to discuss the two in the same event. And what do we know are coming out this Fall, as re-confirmed by DeNA earnings last week? Animal Crossing and FE mobile games. As such, I'm starting to think Nintendo will have some sort of Fall Conference / Direct to showcase both the remaining 2-4 mobile games with DeNA and the NX. The mobile games are coming out in the Fall (let's assume by November), and I'm sure they'd be revealed least a month in advance.

So my money's on around a month (and a half, maybe) from now for the NX reveal. As for the announcement of the announcement, frankly, no one can say, insider or not.

It all makes sense now. Nintendo have said NX is not a direct replacement for Wii U or 3DS. Instead it is indeed a third pillar - it is a handheld, which can connect to a TV, which only plays mobile games. This also explains why Zelda shown at E3 was the Wii U version - because the NX version is F2P version with in-game purchases and also to tempt people to buy the full Wii U version, similar situation per Pokémon Go.

thefro

Well, yeah, that's what most of us have been expecting from the conference this whole thread. Definitely not expecting any mention of Nintendo or NX.

Right, but we'll at least know quite a bit more about Tegra-Next and we'll be able to do some much more informed speculation on the tech side.

The picture should be quite a bit clearer after Monday.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Harker says that they might miss pre-TGS, and really there isn't much reason to reveal in September if they can't hit TGS so they might choose to wait to avoid affecting 3DS holiday sales. Most of that is mu opinion of course, but the thing is that Nintendo has historically always targeted pre-TGS for these kinds of events.

I see what you're saying, but I think it's kind of meaningless. If they miss TGS, there's still no reason not to announce a week or two after. There's not another major show to wait for.

Hm, I missed that hint. Got a link perchance?

Here you are:

I posted in the nvidia thread and the phillips speculation was more right than the amd side. I'm not risking shit considering the stink people are involving me in that I've been dead set against hyping and exactly because of a day like this. People should still be questioning obvious financials cause nintendo is making quite an exotic setup.

There are other nuggets that were mentioned networking/streaming wise that have never once been disagreed about, though that won't make most gamers happy. I'm not most, I was a mixed bag in May but August alone should be interesting from what I'm hearing again. Some are focused on sept, which is cool but if more real info will come out to really see who has good knowledge august devkits leaks will happen like crazy if some people want to keep their reps. Which is odd cause nintendo could've made their E3 more interesting, seems mid year hijinx for PR.

While some people may feel one group has to fall on their swords that's not what's really happening. Not only that there is no finality to the a very fluid SKU. Maybe in this thread most people involved can be sensible till nintendo makes up their mind, its clear they are juggling things.

It's not very clear, and I think there was another quote somewhere which also mentioned streaming that I'll try to find for ya.

Edit: Here's the other

So I wake up this morning to this, been working and doing chores mostly just can't ignore now...........

First malo gets some credit for being accurate. With that being said no I'm not backing down on cpu comments as I was talking about power performance not what chipset it's using. What should be mentioned is that the nvidia rumor in may were far more accurate than what we are hearing about amd's supposed involvement. AMD rumors are not mine and have never been mine, I'm still skeptical and even more skeptical about sku considering it seems to be a mishmash of exotic parts which I called out in private messages to two other gaffers.

I'm still waiting for some to explain the porting rumors cause while it's clear to me some of the tech in the device is no slouch its paper specs can't make a full claim it's better than X1, performance is another matter depending on what nintendo is actually using. Seems nintendo is vastly upgrading their networking tech and I won't name certain gaffer names but whoever was talking about the streaming tech being a big feature they are more accurate than anyone else I've seen in general talking about this system. Powerwise until nintendo puts a damn retail unit out and we can examine I don't care to talk about it that much except to say it will be definitely not be a power monster and far more efficient/feature rich console, which even for nintendo is a stepup for WiiU.

If people want to step on me just go back to certain threads most was hypothetical talk I never moved off my own goal posts or my own actual ideas I just commented on the clear crap that has yet to pan out. For one side of the debate, you may want to investigate if nintendo is doing multiple skus at this point it's either that or they literally just decided what they are going with, which is a danger I warned about.. Emily has been semi accurate on some parts and dead wrong on others, but I do wish to know what the port talk was about if the performance isn't gonna be there. Cause that alone is just straight talking out the ass as we still don't know what devs and what games those comments were being based on.

Earendil

While you may be right, I think calling it a "fact" is a bit misleading.

MuchoMalo

Banned
I see what you're saying, but I think it's kind of meaningless. If they miss TGS, there's still no reason not to announce a week or two after. There's not another major show to wait for.

Which is precisely why they might choose to wait longer. Besides that, I doubt that whatever has delayed them only did so by a week, I guess it's possible if the cause was the Playstation event , but even then if they want to avoid being too close to that I think they'd rather wait a month or more.

While you may be right, I think calling it a "fact" is a bit misleading.

You're right, I wrote that without thinking and was surprised that I wrote it when I reread the post as I thought I'd tried to avoid it.

So if we're really lucky, we'll get a press release announcing the reveal date and confirming Nvidia's involvement the morning before the Hot Chips presentation.

(this will not actually happen)

So after rereading LCGeek's posts about streaming that I linked on the last page I'm full on #TeamSCD but I don't think SCDs will be exclusively about processing power, and I think their wireless functionality will be much more important to the NX than the wired functionality. In other words, I expect the local distributed cloud functions to be very important in some capacity.

ModBot

Not a mod, just a bot.
I think most of us had tuned out the Project Cafe Wii U NX Speculation Thread or whatever it's called now for the last 5 years until we got reports 10k was doing his stupid cryptic reposting Twitter rumors thing. We will not be unlocking this thread. Make a new thread for new news. If you need a guideline as to whether or not something is news, just ask if 10k claims it's true, and if he does, it's not true and you should not make a thread about it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom