• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo NX rumored to use Nvidia's Pascal GPU architecture

Status
Not open for further replies.
On the one hand, it sounds plausible, and it's the most sensible thing for Nintendo to do with regards to performance and power consumption. On the other, Nintendo making a console with such bleeding-edge hardware just seems inherently implausible!

People tend to forget that Nintendo was dead set on using PowerPC architecture that began with the Gamecube primarily for backwards compatibility which very much held back their potential hardware (at least at reasonable prices). Now that they are ditching PowerPC (and BC) by using a brand new architecture, one would expect this to be similar to a Gamecube scenario, where they did use pretty modern hardware.

Not that we should expect crazy specs, but lets all keep the NX in context as it compares to the Wii line.

Here is the problem. Given everything of Nintendo's history, what is more likely:

1. Nintendo uses a 2 year old, released CPU/GPU system that has already got an Android port and sufficient yields to pump out millions of units in a few months (Tegra X1, Maxwell based). The X1 is also basically unused by anyone in the industry (only NVidia Shield) and will probably be super cheap to aquire.

2. Nintendo is going to use an unreleased, un taped out, never used by anyone else, new system (Tegra X2) that no one has any experience with, for a system that is supposed to release in 6-8 months. X2 is based on Pascal but has not even started final manufacturing processes.

Its really, really, really hard to believe any rumors that suggest #2 is true. Yeah, sure, maybe NVIdia has had a secret project to make an X2 based on Pascal specifically for Nintendo and its been a super tight secret. In an industry where every GPU tweak and leak occurs months in advance.

As repeated many times in the DF thread, Nintendo has never used off the shelf parts, so regardless of Pascal or Maxwell they will be using a customized chip, not the X1 or unreleased X2. Rather many have speculated that this chip will be very similar to the X1 but on the Pascal architecture, as that does nothing but increase the power efficiency, which is paramount for handhelds.

It's not just wishful thinking here, there is quite a bit of logic and apparently evidence to back this up.

The dock could and should, at the very least, improve performance that would be limited by battery consumption.
I guess we'd all look very silly assuming it actually does anything if it ends up just being an HDMI out, but it would be weird to mention on a leak if that was the case.

I wonder if Vita+NX multiplat games will become a thing in Japan now that it doesn't have 2 screens and both are capable of relatively good 3D graphics. Vita is of course on it's way out in the next few years but it has an audience that can help move software while NX userbase is still starting. Would be cool to upgrade from my Vita to NX if the software is the same while providing a software boost for both.

Stuff like Toukiden 2 would make a lot more sense on NX than PS4 for starters. And there are stuff like the new Saga game for Vita that could become a multiplat.

Alchemy

Am I the only one just waiting for official info? I mean it's kinda obvious Nintendo is gonna customize whatever hardware they end up using, everyone always does it. Even with the PS4 and XBO using straightforward AMD APUs both Sony and Microsoft customized the hardware they picked. Just need to wait and see.

Man, as Nintendo fan, I want to be excited about all these 'leaks' but my sensible mind tells me to not get too excited.

We already had enough with WiiU.

Oregano

More power efficiency means that the battery should be better.

Which is why I'm hoping for 540p resolution. Perfect for a long battery life.

I was expecting 480p to 540p when I was predicting Wii U like power. If NX is significantly above that then I think 720p isn't out of the question but I wouldn't expect higher than that.

Out of interest does anyone actually know what resolution the 2DS' screen is?

Nate is legit on these things. Not saying this as a reference to myself, but so are others. Let things come together nintendo is pulling at people right now and I think they are liking what they see.

I shat on when I leaked certain cpu details I wasn't suppose to. It's a lot better than initial concept, I know it doesn't please everyone but nintendo is actively wanting this machine to be solid and that reminds me of when they built n64 or gc vs the last two machines.

LCGeek being optimistic about the specs make me optimistic about the specs.

MUST.RESIST.HYPE.

EloquentM

aka Mannny
On the one hand, it sounds plausible, and it's the most sensible thing for Nintendo to do with regards to performance and power consumption. On the other, Nintendo making a console with such bleeding-edge hardware just seems inherently implausible!
What does bleeding edge hardware mean to you?

Peterc

Then we're talking a higher price point. It's not happening with the initial release or the base system. I'm already expecting a New 3DS type treatement for most games on the Scorpio and Neo and the same will be here if that comes to be.

Maybe the base station that you can plugin the dock would be an extra buy you have to do.
But you can play without it too.

Plug just 4 base stations in it and play games above a high end pc :p

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
If they do end up using a Pascal based chip,i'll admit i was wrong and take 20 lashes. I thought at best it would be an Maxwell based mobile chip with some enhancements, but Pascal means they can more easily fit 500gflops+ GPU power into that super small case in a decent power draw.

Its strange to me because it feels like mobile is no longer 'mobile'. The gap between mobile chips and desktop GPU chips is becoming much lesser of a difference with the mobile variants producing like 10% of the heat for a disproportionate amount of power packed in. Is that because of the limitations of silicon slowing down?

If so, we might have to wait for graphene at this rate

Oregano

I wonder if Vita+NX multiplat games will become a thing in Japan now that it doesn't have 2 screens and both are capable of relatively good 3D graphics. Vita is of course on it's way out in the next few years but it has an audience that can help move software while NX userbase is still starting. Would be cool to upgrade from my Vita to NX if the software is the same while providing a software boost for both.

Stuff like Toukiden 2 would make a lot more sense on NX than PS4 for starters.

I'm not saying it's even likely but looking at how consoles are faring in Japan I'd have to think third parties aren't going to rule it out as quick as they've ruled out Nintendo in the past. NX might be the only decently selling system there by quite a margin.

Which cpu details, i've missed that?

I still find a bit weird about every leaks are almost about hybrid or the power of the device.
Nobody talks or know what's new to the system, like the heartrate or does it have scrollingwheels or other thing that they want to keep secret?

That information might not be available to development partners yet, where these leaks are coming from. I'm betting only people at NCL know about those features (eye tracking please)

And yet no one seems to notice the (potential) megaton that has just been dropped.

Yeah LCGeek being excited about this has me optimistic- they are one of the few "leakers" I actually trust pretty readily since they are very open about explaining leaks and statements, rather than just giving vague clues.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Makes perfect sense. An X1 with active cooling and audible fan noise made almost zero sense for the devkit. Just probably waiting on production of the new chips, no?

Peterc

LCGeek being optimistic about the specs make me optimistic about the specs.

MUST.RESIST.HYPE.

I remember an older post from him on the first big NX topics that he wasn't that happy with the power from the NX, not sure that he already know that it was going to be a handheld

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
Jump from 3DS to NX will be the biggest technical jump in a generation ever. Lets do this.

Nate is legit on these things. Not saying this as a reference to myself, but so are others. Let things come together nintendo is pulling at people right now and I think they are liking what they see.

I shat on when I leaked certain cpu details I wasn't suppose to. It's a lot better than initial concept, I know it doesn't please everyone but nintendo is actively wanting this machine to be solid and that reminds me of when they built n64 or gc vs the last two machines.

!

OMG. Don't do this to me. I had lost all my hype already. >_>

Donovan1209

Neo Member
I'm betting the dock simply improves performance limited for battery life. Having something that would "boost" the hardware would simply be too expensive as an add-on. I'm willing to bet there will be other charging methods sold separately (like AC adapters) so they can make money off of it. I'm curious if there will be any method of wired play if your controller is near death while the device is placed in the dock.

I think it would be unwise to have anything higher than 720p for the sake of battery life. Maybe even smaller if in a batter-saving mode.

The actual reveal cannot come fast enough.

Tripon

Exactly

Also, NateDrake just recently tweeted this.

dfh2bnn.png
Nexeon, you can't censor your own Twitter account. And not mention that.

Let's not get crazy. If we hope for an upclock there's a chance we won't get disappointedly.

A 4x upclock when docked would actually bring very noticeable gains and get the NX into XB1/PS4 territory. 4x being likely if the handheld has a 540p screen of course.

Cooling and RAM are apparently the major issues for upclocking a docked portable though.

Edit:

I'm very suspicious of anyone claiming a Nintendo console is at the upper end of any power scale.

It is almost always proven to be fanwank.

Sceptical for now.

Again, if we accept the premise that Nintendo is ditching Wii U BC, meaning they are ditching PowerPC architecture, then based on their last console with new architecture (Gamecube) there is no reason to think they avoid powerful hardware.

Trago

In terms of the potential for graphical power? I'm not that hung up on it. This definitely wont be my main platform to play the big third party miltiplatform games on. I do expect the usual suspects who supported he 3DS/Vita to deliver content to this platform. Maybe even high profile mobile games as well. But it's all about how much first party we get out of this that has me the most excited. All of their output on one device would be great.

A custom pascal 16nm chip, is posible one of the best chips you can put on a handheld, if not the best.

3DS to this is gonna be an awesome jump. Can't wait.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
My hope for a full-featured portable Madden just got boosted.

But it's a handheld and a console.

There's no reason to not expect otherwise. If it happens to the Neo and Scorpio, it'll happen for this. It makes no sense to optimize hard for two different sets of hardware until it's known that the general audience has transferred over which most assuredly will not happen because of the price difference from the PS4/XB1 to the Neo/Scorpio. It'll be smaller tweaks overall in the mean time.

Awesome find! Reminds me of my days in private school where we would hook up a few OG Xbox consoles to play 16 player Halo.

I used to do the same thing back in my private school days! We called it "Box-ing", and it was the best.

Hope the NX isn't too personal, as it may be portable, for the sake of the local mp experience. Nintendo is the only console I do local MP on, aside from retro consoles.

liquidtmd

Banned

tumblr_m2jy024iiA1r7i7g6o1_500.jpg

KAL2006

Banned
A 4x upclock when docked would actually bring very noticeable gains and get the NX into XB1/PS4 territory. 4x being likely if the handheld has a 540p screen of course.

Cooling and RAM are apparently the major issues for upclocking a docked portable though.

Edit:

Again, if we accept the premise that Nintendo is ditching Wii U BC, meaning they are ditching PowerPC architecture, then based on their last console with new architecture (Gamecube) there is no reason to think they avoid powerful hardware.

What abiut upclocking. But the dock has RAM expansion. This way it wouldn't be crazy expensive SLI with 2 GPUs but just more RAM and an upclock.

phanphare

Banned
this is good

this is very very good

NX already sounds more enticing, hardware-wise, than both the 3DS and Wii U

bring it on

Background info?

What cpu specs did he leak?

Though initially he expressed his disappointment with the CPU, he suggested that it was more powerful than the ps4/XBO CPUs.

It's the first time I've seen him optimistic over NX news, so I can't help but think he's somewhat satisfied with what he knows of the system so far.

At least for me whatever they put out will absolutely trounce the ancient 3DS and thats all im hoping for at this point

I think that would be a given. I'm not even saying that Pascal would be out the realm of possibility. Im just pointing out than anytime something concrete comes out about a new Nintendo device, there is always some leaker claiming that its more powerful than it actually turns out to be.

Neoxon

so 720p on the go, 1080p on the dock!
I wouldn't be too sure about 720p. If I recall, Matt mentioned that the next Nintendo handheld's resolution would be "Higher than you'd expect, lower than you'd hope". This is leading me to believe that the screen may be 540p for the sake of better visual fidelity.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom