• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Online will be paid on Switch after initial free trial

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
If they are gonna charge for online it better be a fucking massive leap forward from their previous offerings.

Edit: I know it's not going to happen because it's completely against how Nintendo operates, but if they bundled some sort of Virtual Console access into a paid online sub that would be a good move. Treat the entire VC catalog as a subscription instead of ala carte purchases (of course leave the individual purchases as an option for those who don't sub/lapse)

Will absolutely not happen. though.

etrain911

Owning a Wii U and a 3DS XL, their online services are abysmal. That free trial is necessary because it will determine whether or not they actually deserve it with their god-awful UI and online infrastructure.

LoveCake

Not going to be worth £40 odd, already paying that for my Xbox and ps4.

The current 3DS and WiiU online needs to be a million times better.

Chris1

This pretty much put me off the console. I doubt they're gonna offer a free games program either.

I'm also not paying to play Mario Kart online.

Zaventem

If you think they were going to pass up on all that money you're delusional. Now everyone has come full circle, i expect compaines to actually try to improve their services.

Aretak

Perhaps the service won't be a stream of diarrhea transmitted directly into your face now. As nice as the idea of free online is, what it gets you in reality is Nintendo's efforts to date and pre-Plus PSN (i.e. liquid shit).

MrToast

Wouldn't this risk the switch being more of a marketing bomb than the Wii U? On PS and Xbox, aren't you only paying to access to connect to the online services for mostly peer2peer connections? Does Nintendo host all their services within?

Griss

This is the worst possible thing they could have announced. I can't fucking believe this.

Free online was Nintendo's whole thing...

300 bucks PLUS paid online? No, no, no, no. That's all wrong man. That's all wrong.

a916

They won't talk about it yet?

They've proven in the last 10 plus years that they are completely incapable of doing an online infrastructure let alone one worthy of a subscription. Call me highly skeptical.

zeelman

If you think they were going to pass up on all that money you're delusional. Now everyone has come full circle, i expect compaines to actually try to improve their services.

You're delusional to think the companies will actually improve their online services now.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
It was only a matter of time. XBLG and more recently PS+ have made it very obvious that people will accept a paywall. That's a lot of money to be leaving on the table.

It was only a matter of time. XBLG and now PS+ have made it very obvious that people will accept a paywall. That's a lot of money to be leaving on the table.

People aren't going to pay on top of those subscriptions for Nintendo's mediocre at best services.

Lo-Volt

If the infrastructure really improves enough to justify it, it might not be so awful. But yikes. Also, what kind of pricing scheme are they going to introduce?

Top Bottom