• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Online will be paid on Switch after initial free trial

Storm360

As someone who has no problem with paid online on PS4/X1 I just don't see the appeal. I've barely played Splatoon, but Mario Kart 8 was the decent online experience I had on a Nintendo platform, Every single time I've tried something like Smash Bros its been too laggy to enjoy.

Paid online without the third party games to back it up? Lmao. Will wait to see how Nintendo faithful react after dragging everyone else for the same thing.

TP

Paid online without the third party games to back it up? Lmao. Will wait to see how Nintendo faithful react after dragging everyone else for the same thing.

I look forward to the "It's only x cents an hour" type posts

I always get a giggle out of those

Ugh, disappointing. The last champion of free console online multiplayer fell too. Even though their online functionality will likely be nowhere be as robust and full of features as their competition in comparison.

Thanks MS for starting this garbage and thanks Sony for hastening it with the PS4.

Free online console gaming is officially dead now as of eight-gen, guess I'll go to PC for any future online multiplayer fixes and stick with my Wii U/PS3 for my remaining online games...at least until their online servers are unceremoniously shut down.

So disappointed with Nintendo. This is a huge strike against the Switch for me.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Disappointing. Nintendo gotta get that free money charging for P2P connections though. MK8 was fun with GAF but I guess I'll be passing on the port/MK9 online.

Won

I guess console gaming just really isn't for me then. Too bad, was actually somewhat looking forward to the machine.

Lindsay

Dot Hacked
Will Pokémon be subject to this even? If so I guess they'll be rolling in dough. But this move cements online gaming as dead for me cause I'm not paying up for something I've barely ever used in the first place.

Anth0ny

I totally expected this. Welcome to modern video games, Nintendo.

now I want to see the fanboys defend this who SWORE nintendo would never charge for online.

etrain911

Many of those who use the Switch as their primary system will, though.

The problem for Nintendo is that that number has been going down dramatically across generations. I guess the point of the Switch was to fix that by merging the two markets together so that they can focus on both properly, but paid online on a system they need to succeed in a market with competitors with similar market strategies is not the way to do that.

Tsunamo

I was hoping Nintendo would be the one provider to stick to free Online.

Hopefully the service is worth the price at least, that's the best I can hope for at this point.

I'll pay anything if that means no more friend codes, even if that's not taken out right away. Let these monthly payments for towards giving us a better online experience.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
The problem for Nintendo is that that number has been going down dramatically across generations. I guess the point of the Switch was to fix that by merging the two markets together so that they can focus on both properly, but paid online on a system they need to succeed in a market with competitors with similar market strategies is not the way to do that.

Sure, but even, say, 10% of a 1m install base quickly adds up to a pretty penny, and, really, this move is unlikely to alienate the average consumer and have a discernible impact on the success of the system.

HowZatOZ

Banned
If people suddenly start being vocal about this but continue to pay for PS+ and Xbox Live you are all drinking a large vat of irony.

Hip Hop

If people suddenly start being vocal about this but continue to pay for PS+ and Xbox Live you are all drinking a large vat of irony.

Difference is that Nintendo has an atrocious track record when it comes to an online service.

I have zero confidence in them having a subscription that resembles anything on par with PS+/LIVE

HowZatOZ

Banned
Doesn't invalidate their arguments though.

It kind of does if they continue to pay for and like Xbox Live and PS+. Obviously if Switch's online component offers nothing like the value of those two systems' online then complaints would be valid.

Difference is that Nintendo has an atrocious track record when it comes to an online service.
Yeah, maybe if we pay for it, they might actually idk, make if better. Sony's got better since they started charging (imo) Xbox has always been great with LIVE (imo) because they been charging from the start.

Malakai

Will Pokémon be subject to this even? If so I guess they'll be rolling in dough. But this move cements online gaming as dead for me cause I'm not paying up for something I've barely ever used in the first place.

This. I hope Pokemon is exempt. I guess the Wii U and the 3DS will be my last Nintendo consoles.

Top Bottom