• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Online will be paid on Switch after initial free trial

etrain911

It kind of does if they continue to pay for and like Xbox Live and PS+. Obviously if Switch's online component offers nothing like the value of those two systems' online then complaints would be valid.

Nintendo has a record of extremely poor online infrastructure which is arguably different from MS and Sony (which is saying something given how many complaints there were about PS3-era PSN back when it was free).

b3b0p

If it's like PS+ or whatever it's called where you can pick up the subscriptions on sale for like $40 for a year and they fix the problems with their current system and take the better ideas from Microsoft and Sony and leave out the cruft, I'm fine with it.

Nyoro SF

That's a big downer for me enjoying online games like Mariokart and such. It means if I do buy it it will have to be for single player games only. We'll see.

n0razi

Nintendo needs to prove that their online infrastructure has joined the rest of us in the 21st century before expecting people to cough up money for it

OTIX

It doesn't matter if their online gets better. I'm never paying for two online subscriptions which means this kills the Switch as a secondary console. Hype dead.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
lmao.

Thanks for making sure I don't buy Nintendo consoles anymore, Nintendo. <3 Much obliged.

Raonak

Banned
Seems like a bad move, Nintendo has been pretty underwelming with online services in the past.

Plus the bigger problem is that switch is likey gonna be a second console rather than a primary. Multiple online subscriptions is overkill.

They have potential to make a great PS+ like service If they have backwards compatibility

If I could play a bunch of 3DS, DS, and WiiU/Wii games through that, it'd be cool

If people suddenly start being vocal about this but continue to pay for PS+ and Xbox Live you are all drinking a large vat of irony.

I see no irony, Nintendo's online service was garbage since a long time ago and they are the only ones that I actually had serious problems trying to play games online, so much that I gave up.

Aselith

maybe this means they finally got their account system and digital purchases shit together

mXyupD1.gif

Noob question, how good is their retro game offering on their eshop?

Not good at all but they have the bangers for the most part

Wonder if they'll have discounts like PS+. Or a free VC game every month?

But nah, I'm not going to pay for two online subscriptions. I really liked the Wii U as a second console because it had free online. This kind of kills that. Unless it'd not €50 a year.

Moze

Banned
It kind of does if they continue to pay for and like Xbox Live and PS+. Obviously if Switch's online component offers nothing like the value of those two systems' online then complaints would be valid.

Them paying for online does not make paying for online a pro consumer business practice.

They didn't announce a price which is curious.

Hopefully it's a lower price than PS+. $20 a year would be nice if you don't get free games monthly.

joecanada

You know this online thing made me realize that it can be a positive force like getting more money for your service but it's also kind of aggressive because not everyone will be willing to maintain 3 subs. So if you can squeeze enough money from each customer you may persuade them not to spend money on your competitors platform.

Obviously speaking from business perspective

Also I don't think Nintendo is going to come out on top in this scenario

Rncewind

No biggy for me, would be better if it would be free but i pay it gladly when nintendo fixes it garbage online system + voicechat and 1-2 vc games in a month

Top Bottom