• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Online will be paid on Switch after initial free trial

Ogodei

Free online play till Fall (september-ish). So 6months to play online in Mario Kart and Splatoon.

It's a wise choice as far as that goes. Put out your two absolutely most compelling online multiplayer experiences, and give people 3-6 months to see if it's worth it.

I need Splatoon 2 in my veins NOW, so they have, grudgingly, got my support, as long as it's in line with the competition's pricing ($50/year or so).

Dante

that would be a joke lol

"Our new dedicated smart device app will connect to Nintendo Switch and let you invite friends to play online, set play appointments, and chat with friends during online matches in compatible games─all from your smart device."

Kaelan

This is BULLSHIT

Vita is literaly a better device as far as feature set

RIGHT. Like this is some trash. Why the hell should I have to use a phone to do basic OS functions such as send invites, and invite people to parties? Vita had this all at launch. Nintendo better clarify/fix some of this crap...

001.jpg

Well, with their track record, I'm sure they'll offer a suite of valuable services and top of the line features at a competitive price.

ElRenoRaven

Our new dedicated smart device app will connect to Nintendo Switch and let you invite friends to play online, set play appointments, and chat with friends during online matches in compatible games─all from your smart device.

Wait am I reading this right? You have to use a smart device app to invite friends and chat with friends while playing online? Is this for real or am I reading this wrong?

RoKKeR

Wait, is the app the only way to use the Online services? I'm confused with the wording Wario just tweeted out.

The apologists in this thread are the absolute worst, acting like the bar for a good online service starts and ends with having a subscription while pretending that Steam and the entirety of the PS3s online network doesn't exist. It was especially blatant when we were still regularly seeing cross-platform releases with PS3 and PS4 coming out with one set to that arbitrary barrier of entry and the other not.

Nintendo can fuck off with this one, there's too much out there competing with the online digital subscription market to even consider it, and it brings down the product as a whole for me personally.

Usobuko

Banned
The main issue for me is what games they can offer when most third party on consoles already bailed the hell out of it.

Sony and Microsoft had PS3 / Vita / PSP and Xbox 360 titles. Will Nintendo gives us Wii U games or will it be just VC?

For a month only?

What the fuck.

Rncewind

"Our new dedicated smart device app will connect to Nintendo Switch and let you invite friends to play online, set play appointments, and chat with friends during online matches in compatible games─all from your smart device."

well good luck with that nintendo

They'll likely add more tof the catalog than just NES and SNES titles. Still a bit odd with the Classic out in the wild, and it doesn't offer much for longtime VC partakers.

Not being either, it actually works for me. But with them offloading all the online features to a separate device and little experience, I don't want to see more than 40/year subscription.

Edit: WTF, you have to pay for the app too? Please tell me that will get rolled into the subscription, because that's BS.

Illucio

Banned
So they are steadily going into this, can we riot and force them to offer online for free to play as well and let the premium cost just be dedicated servers and free games?

Ah... this is really sad. I essentially never play online except for Pokemon. So paying for online will really not be a good value for me. We've had Pokemon for free online for 10 years now. What a way to ruin Pokemon.

Voice chat through phone? Holy wtf lol that can't be true
Someone make an third party mic or something lol

Was expecting paid online tbh , it's how Sony and Microsoft make a lot of their money
Should be 2 nes and 2 snes free per month if it's a rental

so one nes or snes game for a month?

Sigh...
And then as a subscriber you get 10% off! If you buy every game every month the savings pays for itself. On the plus side they're adding online multiplayer to these classic titles so they hopefully won't waste their time on shit titles.

Between the paid online with nothing to show for whatever it might cost

And the high cost of the system and accesories

Go fuck yourself Greedy Nintendo

Top Bottom