• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Online will be paid on Switch after initial free trial

This is yet another strike against the Switch. The Switch is a secondary console to either an XB1 or PS4. That means is needs to be as cheap as possible. With the MSRP of $299 and now this, few people will consider buying the Switch as a Nintendo game delivery device.

Azerare

Ha if they want subscription money they should probably show a value first like xbox live and ps + did (which even i have a rough time stomaching down).

Hopefully they actually have a good infrastructure, no more friend code bs, and an actual voice party chat system.

Poona

I wonder what the differences will be between the paid and the free service.

What are they going to offer to try and show that a paid service is worth it? Wish they wouldn't even bother. Just keep your online free.

Would never pay for a shitty nintendo online service unless it's a monumental improvement and even then I likely wont as PS+ takes that budget for me.

I don't want to pay for Sony or Microsoft's slowly improved online, but Nintendo thinks they have what it takes to get people after fighting online features and multiplayer for multiple generations? HA!

swit

lol, I'm not paying shit for basic online capabilities. Never ever considered Xbox due to mmo like online fees. Didn't buy PS4 for this reason. That's just silly to me. And now handehelds too? Forget it, Nintendo. That's probably the end of console gaming for me.

Kaelan

It's worth it iMO... but the online better be fucking state of the line. Thank god theres party chat, throw in achievements, streaming, taking pictures, etc. I want voice chat in every game. Like shit if we're paying for this I better see a huge improvement.

Bowl0l

I wonder what the differences will be between the paid and the free service.

What are they going to offer to try and show that a paid service is worth it? Wish they wouldn't even bother. Just keep your online free.
No messaging, no access to browser, no free to start games. Every game is offline only (no Wonder trade, no Pokémon bank)

Nzyme32

Of all the companies to attempt this, Nintendo are the least likely to get my money. Their online services have been abysmal vs competitors and there is no evidence that they can maintain a trustworthy reliable service and policies. It will take them years to demonstrate this to me, so I am out.

Kyne

even they know they shit the bed with this. They are going to wait to start charging for it because they have no games at launch capable of utilizing it.

or really they just have no games at launch period.

:\

VillageBC

Yeah, I have a PC so this pay for online shit is just garbage. I kept PS+ around for too long since it gave me free games to try I normally wouldn't buy and used to be worthwhile to try things out. That service dried up and so did my money.

I'll wait and see what they paywall, but since I was interested in Splatoon 2 and now it looks like I'd have to pay to play. It currently looks like I'll be sitting this one out.

Krammy

So now that the conference is over, I can definitely say that I underestimated how much this announcement steamrolled my hype for the entire thing.

Thinking about it as the conference went on, and realizing I won't be able to enjoy Splatoon 2 or Mario Kart online really devalued the console as a whole for me, and what was looking like a Day 1 purchase has now turned into a wait and see.

Again, I understand why Nintendo did this, and it's probably the right move from a business perspective, but it's a still a goddamn shame to see it happen.

PetrCobra

I wonder what they expect me to pay for. I have no interest in voice chat (which should be free in the first place), are they going to throw in "free" games like PSN+ or what? There better be a way I can pay with gold coins. I buy games, you keep my online free.

J

JeremyEtcetera

Unconfirmed Member
This was the most disappointing segment, and not even because of monthly pricing. They didn't explain what the paid online would improve, what their new infrastructure looks like, how it performs, what you can do, if you can share play and make parties, if purchases carry across account, if accounts are more like xbox/psn/steam style, etc. This is one segment I wanted the most info on but instead they focused on hype announcements more. I understand they were following suit from Sony conferences but it wasn't the right call.

Bad7667

The only thing that will have me pay for online on a Nintendo console is a netflix like plan where I can play any Virtual Console game I want. Or say 5 free games per month that get removed on a monthly basis.

Other than that I can't see myself ever paying for online.

Jeff Gerstmann talking right now reading from the press site making it sound like you will need a separate phone app to chat, form parties and do game invites.

I mean, I usually only look for single player experiences. If I'm playing multiplayer on a switch, it's going to be local only probably so this doesn't affect me.

Watch me 180 in six months.

Yeah paid online has always been the biggest scam. I already hate paying for PS+, definitely don't want to pay another sub fee on top of that, especially when I know it'll be inferior. Plus the only online Nintendo game I want to play online is Splatoon and maybe Smash. I want to play Splatoon but not that bad...

Top Bottom