• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Online will be paid on Switch after initial free trial

tkscz

maybe I heard differently but only the community chat app would be behind a pay wall. Playing online is still free.

Edit: Damn it Nintendo, not you too. Screw the voice chat and stuff, just give me free online.

FZW

Well people wanted Nintendo to get serious about online services.

but they havent shown anything to prove that theyre serious. No features, very few games that have online functionality. No free games (Rentals). Nothing.

They just anounced its not free and didnt give a justification for it

hey Nintendo...

1419570169519.gif

GHG

Gold Member
F*ing finally, now there's a chance it will be a decent service.

That's not how this works, that's not how any of this works.

Just because you pay for something it doesn't suddenly mean the quality of said product will miraculously improve. Money is not always the answer.

Varg

Banned
If they offer virtual console games for free each month as part of the service Ill bite . I gladly play the classics more then the indie trash we usually get on PS4

watershed

Banned
I honestly cannot imagine Nintendo pulling off online well enough to warrant me paying for it. They have zero credibility on that front.

Wedzi

Banned
I foresee a future where I'm buying weeks at a time on each system based on what game I'm playing online where. I don't like this :(

Aleh

Worst thing they could have done to me. The price of the console was already higher than I expected, but this...
I mean I love everything else about the Switch but I'm not rich.

Bad7667

Just because you pay for something it doesn't suddenly mean the quality of said product will miraculously improve. Money is not always the answer.

Yeah I mean we can look at the PS4 for proof of that. The download speeds, at least for me anyway, haven't improved in the slightest since charging me to play online.

Switch is turning into a money pit

What the fuck is this smartphone shit

No built in voice and party chat?

Its literally worse than the Vita if so

Wedzi

Banned

Hell Steam is free and it's the best one out of the four!

emb

This terrible. Rest in peace online play. Gonna really miss it in Splatoon and Smash.

I blame all of us that have ever paid for XBL or PSN (including myself many years ago). We all made our bed. :(

Really hope the features don't require a smart device. Having to pay is annoying and not ok to me, but adding an extra device dependency is just obnoxious.

GHG

Gold Member
Why the fuck is everything done through a companion app

why can't it be done through the god damn device itself

Didn't you hear that it's better because of the simple fact that you're going to pay for it? Stop complaining.

killatopak

Gold Member
You all wanted Nintendo to be more like Sony and Microsoft.

Wish Granted.

Why aren't you all celebrating?

Better online infrastructure not online subscriptions.

If they still won't implement online tags and keep using friend codes, I'm gonna be so fucking mad.

Kaelan

what the hell do they mean by this?

"Online lobby and voice chat

Our new dedicated smart device app will connect to Nintendo Switch and let you invite friends to play online, set play appointments, and chat with friends during online matches in compatible games─all from your smart device.

A free, limited version of this app will be available for download in summer 2017."

Are you telling me parties/chat is only available via your phone? Can't do it in the OS? So confused..

what the hell do they mean by this?

"Online lobby and voice chat

Our new dedicated smart device app will connect to Nintendo Switch and let you invite friends to play online, set play appointments, and chat with friends during online matches in compatible games─all from your smart device.

A free, limited version of this app will be available for download in summer 2017."

Are you telling me parties/chat is only available via your phone? Can't do it in the OS? So confused..

This is BULLSHIT

Vita is literaly a better device as far as feature set

jett

D-Member
Xbox Live is the worst thing to have happened to the gaming industry.

Anyway.

Paying for Nintendo's online services?

No. lol.

It's a bummer--possibly less for me, as I haven't done any major online gaming on a Nintendo console, but hopefully it comes with actual perks and better infrastructure.

This is the single biggest letdown for me. I had hoped Nintendo would never go in this direction. I knew it was too good to be true, though. Paid online services can kindly fuck off. As a PC gamer who routinely uses excellent services like Steam without paying so much as a dime, I will never succumb to this model.

zulux21

Monthly game download

Subscribers will get to download and play a Nintendo Entertainment System™ (NES) or Super Nintendo Entertainment System™ (Super NES) game (with newly-added online play) for free for a month.
so nifty that they are going to do games with online play.... not so nifty that it sounds like you will only be able to play them for free for a month.

jackdoe

How many online multiplayer games will they even have releasing before that free trial cutoff? One? Two? Splatoon 2 and Fifa?

watershed

Banned
I honestly cannot imagine Nintendo pulling off online well enough to warrant me paying for it. They have zero credibility on that front.

Hell Steam is free and it's the best one out of the four!

I actually strongly disagree. The UI for Steam is second only to Ninty UIs for being atrocious.

Nintendo really got left behind here. If they had done this for the Wii U, it wouldn't look as bad. Everyone was paying for XBL just to play online, and so it wouldn't feel like a ripoff. But GwG and PS+ have been going for years now, and one free NES game is comparable to one of the shitty months on those other services. Double for any X1 owners who use EA Access, since they're definitely not likely to throw a 3rd (or 4th if they're on PS+ too) subscription without much on offer.

I was a bit confused on some aspects. They made it sound like all the typical features like friend lists and groups would be handled via a mobile device, not the system itself. Was in the middle of a few things at that time however, so could have been my bad.

I can see a lot of used systems flooding the market after Mario Odyssey comes out. What a terrible deal. You don't even get to keep the NES or SNES games after the month is up. Nintendo are setting themselves up for failure here. People will just moan about what the other region got.

edit. They're going to have to put 1 month codes in every new game box really. Like in the Xbox days.

Top Bottom