• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Patent Application - Accessory and Information Processing System

georly

Know what else this does? It makes it REALLY cheap for third party accessories and customization of the hardware... Have big hands and need big spaced out buttons? Mad Catz got you.

Oh good call. It'll be super easy to reverse engineer the IR part, I assume, and won't require violating nintendo patents on proprietary connectors. Now they can sell you mario and zelda controller grips instead of limited edition consoles.

maybe the back plate is also customizeable like the N3DS faceplates.

well this lines up with the rumors
i wonder how responsive this tech is

If it's anything like the circle pad pro, it's perfectly fine. Then again, I don't think any super-duper twitch based games ever used it though. I assume the 'normal' controller when playing in docked mode does bluetooth or something though.

The only thing that concerns me is how well these sensors replicate traditional button presses and analog and d-pad movement. If there is the slightest bit of lag or not reading your inputs correctly this will be a bad idea.

Reminder that patents are simplified versions of an idea, not meant to look comfortable or refined. Basically the idea is that you'll be able to attach and detach controllers

This doesn't fit the Eurogamer rumor. This patent seems to use an infrared to communicate with the controllers, meaning that they wouldn't work when they are detached from the console.

foltzie1

I'm curious how an analog stick with a button press would work with this concept.

I have some ideas, but seeing the actual implementation will be fun.

R

Rösti

Unconfirmed Member
Another drawing I find quite interesting:

32ks9d.png

[0048] FIG. 3 is a back view showing a non-limiting example portable device;

Ashby

Damn I wonder if the NX is gonna be a legitimate tablet. So far it's looking to be a straight up Nvidia Shield tablet with detachable controllers.

Dystify

If you remove the inside of this controller you could potentially place it in your own custom made controller. But knowing Nintendo whatever they offer will be very comfortable to hold anyway, so this is probably unnecessary...

This doesn't fit the Eurogamer rumor. This patent seems to use an infrared to communicate with the controllers, meaning that they wouldn't work when they are detached from the console.

It's why I always say we never get the full picture. Even from this patent I have a few questions:

1. What does the screen do without the controls? Or does it essentially become a tablet (we don't actually know if the handheld is small like usual or essentially tablet sized now)
2. What do you do with these control parts? They're effectively useless when not attached, although I guess the same could be same of the nunchuk, and people didn't have an issue with that, but that was only 1 part

Unless the controller pieces have both bluetooth and IR functionality, and IR communication is used only when they're attached to the portable to improve battery life (IR is less power-hungry than bluetooth).

RootCause

Damn I wonder if the NX is gonna be a legitimate tablet. So far it's looking to be a straight up Nvidia Shield tablet with detachable controllers.
The shield tablet k1 is amazing with the shield controller(wifi direct).
By the way, NVidia had a device go through the fcc a couple of months ago. Its expected to be the the shield tablet x1. But nothing still, I hope that's the case. I'd love to get a shield X1.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
Rösti;213266841 said:
Another drawing I find quite interesting:

32ks9d.png

We just had a rumor about NX having GPS integrated as well...hmm.

R

Rösti

Unconfirmed Member
We just had a rumor about NX having GPS integrated as well...hmm.
Yes, I thought about the GPS rumor.

[0082] The GPS receiver 17 receives a signal from a GPS (Global Positioning System) satellite, and the portable device 1 can calculate the position of the portable device 1 itself by receiving the signal. For example, when a predetermined operation is performed at a particular position (e.g., a gesture input or a button input using the infrared camera 4, shaking the portable device 1, etc., to be described later), the portable device 1 may display an object associated with the particular position. For example, where a game is played on the portable device 1, and the portable device 1 is at a particular position, an object associated with the particular position may appear in the game.

Dystify

It's why I always say we never get the full picture. Even from this patent I have a few questions:

1. What does the screen do without the controls? Or does it essentially become a tablet (we don't actually know if the handheld is small like usual or essentially tablet sized now)
2. What do you do with these control parts? They're effectively useless when not attached, although I guess the same could be same of the nunchuk, and people didn't have an issue with that, but that was only 1 part

1. Plug it into the docking station?

2. Well in reality the controller parts won't look like the ones in the patent. Eurogamer said you can use them as individual controllers, but if they don't have any energy by themselves maybe you need to plug them into something that powers them.

Using infrared lights, sensors and reflectors to detect the physical movement of the buttons seems like the most insane, over-engineered way of going about this. Is there some advantage of doing it like this is isn't apparent?

Doesn't need physical connections or a battery in the controllers, but yeah it sounds messy.
Am hoping they go for NFC if they want to do something like that.
Edit: darkness_s points it out better, was assuming you'd have electronics to use detached, but maybe that's not a feature.

Unless the controller pieces have both bluetooth and IR functionality, and IR communication is used only when they're attached to the portable to improve battery life (IR is less power-hungry than bluetooth).

Well, the patent controller uses movable parts that are read by an infrared camera, it doesn't seem to have any electronics at all. The patent's purpose seems to have of a means of communicating with very cheap interchangeable controllers.

So this patent is specifically for emitting IR without the use of a battery? Neat.

My assumption is when the buttons are pressed, they will have reflectors. I mean, look at how the 3D on the N3DS works. Maybe there's a special camera with an IR light that will detect reflections on exclusive buttons based on the reflection of the button inside of the housing.

Well, the patent controller uses movable parts that are read by an infrared camera, it doesn't seem to have any electronics at all. The patent's purpose seems to have of a means of communicating with very cheap interchangeable controllers.

The capability to read the movement of the parts using an infrared camera doesn't use any electronics.

But that doesn't mean the device that supports this capability can't also have basic internal electronics for disconnected use.

I think the #1 benefit of this application is actually that there doesn't need to be a direct circuit between the accessory and the portable that's exposed when not in use, and the accessories don't need to draw a lot of power while in use with the portable. Communication is handled through IR.

If these add-on controls really can work as separate controllers, it'll be really nice to only have to worry about them being charged during TV use and not on the go.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
That's actually hilariously smart.

No controller ports/less expensive.

No controller parts/lighter and less expensive.

No exposed electronics when the controllers are off/less chance of breaking/reduced costs for repairs.

As an electrical engineer I see this as a big boon. The issue ultimately is latency, but with the screens in phones nowadays the tradeoff isn't as great. This is very very clever and fits right in with Nintendo's philosophy of using old tech in creative ways.

Seriously, I'm kind of blown away by the foresight here. This can result in a huge reduction in cost, which we know Nintendo wanted from the beginning.

As you say, the only issue is latency. If there's any delay, it's near worthless. I highly doubt they'd do it, though, if there was.

I'm starting to seriously consider the $149 launch price as viable.

J@hranimo

Banned
That's actually hilariously smart.

No controller ports/less expensive.

No controller parts/lighter and less expensive.

No exposed electronics when the controllers are off/less chance of breaking/reduced costs for repairs.

As an electrical engineer I see this as a big boon. The issue ultimately is latency, but with the screens in phones nowadays the tradeoff isn't as great. This is very very clever and fits right in with Nintendo's philosophy of using old tech in creative ways.

=O

I didn't think of ANY of this! And this is going to be stronger than the Wii U? Amazing...

1. Plug it into the docking station?

2. Well in reality the controller parts won't look like the ones in the patent. Eurogamer said you can use them as individual controllers, but if they don't have any energy by themselves maybe you need to plug them into something that powers them.

Yeah, I realize that, but you would still require some central "power" module as you said to provide energy, interpret the IR blasts, and send them to the station

Top Bottom