• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Patent Application - Accessory and Information Processing System

Calm Mind

People are concerned about latency on Nintendo hardware. lol

This is one of the many things they actually excel in.

Rösti;213266841 said:
Another drawing I find quite interesting:

32ks9d.png

very interesting so many questions...

Attitude Detection what?
Projector? what kind?
Distance measuring?
Illuminating section?

Bingo! If it had issues I don´t think they risk it

ozfunghi

This also lends more credibility to it being more of a tablet. In that case, maybe the screen will be higher res and the battery will be bigger?

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
A built-in projector makes more sense when I think of that "novelty" comment from the Eurogamer or MCV article.

This is a very ingenious idea... I believe we had a thread some time ago about customizable controllers/handhelds and this is a very smart way to achieve it.

There shouldn't be any latency with the IR sensing, though the device processing each input might be an issue. Hopefully that causes no latency.

Otherwise this is a very neat idea and it gives me some hope that the NX ergonomics won't be a pain in the ass like the original 3DS was (were?).

Also as usual patent images in no way represent final products, etc. etc.

Yeah, latency won't be the issue here.

I remember the first 'touchscreen' Kindles used infrared sensors instead of a captivate screen to detect input, and they worked quite well.

R

Rösti

Unconfirmed Member

Attitude Detection what?
Projector? what kind?
Distance measuring?
Illuminating section?
The use of attitude in this context to describe angular position is a bit unfortunate I think. Anyhow, a sensor to detect how the device is positioned in the space it is in.

[0074] The projector 8 includes a light source for emitting visible light, and projects text, an image, etc., onto a projection plane (a screen or the hand of a user as will be described later) by using light from the light source.

[0072] The distance measuring sensor 5 emits light (e.g., infrared light) from a light source provided in the distance measuring sensor 5 and receives the light having been reflected off an object by means of a light-receiving element, thereby measuring the distance to the object. The distance measuring sensor 5 may be of any type, including a triangulation type and a TOF (Time Of Flight) type. The light source of the distance measuring sensor 5 may be an LED, a laser diode, or the like, emitting infrared light in a particular direction.

[0073] The illuminating section 7 outputs infrared rays at a predetermined time interval (e.g., an interval of 1/60 sec). The illuminating section 7 outputs infrared rays in sync with the timing with which the infrared camera 4 captures images. The illuminating section 7 outputs infrared rays onto a predetermined range in the right side surface direction of the portable device 1. Infrared rays output by an illuminating section 7 are reflected by an object, and the reflected infrared rays are received by the infrared camera 4, thereby obtaining an image of the infrared rays. Note that the illuminating section 7 may be used for capturing an infrared image by the infrared camera 4 and for measuring the distance by the distance measuring sensor 5. That is, the infrared light from the illuminating section 7 may be used both for capturing an image by means of the infrared camera 4 and for measuring the distance by means of the distance measuring sensor 5.

georly

My assumption is when the buttons are pressed, they will have reflectors. I mean, look at how the 3D on the N3DS works. Maybe there's a special camera with an IR light that will detect reflections on exclusive buttons based on the reflection of the button inside of the housing.

More like reflecting it.
The one emitting it is the console.

Cool - but then that means they're dead pieces of plastic once disconnected, no? Eurogamer rumor seemed to think you could use them as controllers once detached. Either they misunderstood or this patent only handles how they work once connected to the system (to save on power?)

Azriell

How would this work with detaching the controllers for MP though? You're not going to hold the controllers perfectly in line with the two IR sensors when playing 2p away from the TV.

lobdale

3 ft, coiled to the sky
I ain't trying to be doom and gloom here, but if the controls are operated with images from an infrared camera that basically detects on/off positioning, are we not pretty much confirmed to only have digital non-analog control on the left side (d-pads only)? Unless they come up with some really clever way to detect distance and positioning on a sliding analog scale...

How would this work with detaching the controllers for MP though? You're not going to hold the controllers perfectly in line with the two IR sensors when playing 2p away from the TV.

The use case for this technology is for controller attachments on a portable device.

It doesn't have to limit their use when not attached to the device.

Rösti;213266841 said:

32ks9d.png

Didn't include this as it was already in the patent published back in March.

Doesn't mean it doesn't resemble what the NX could be of course - just saying it's not new.

Attitude Detection what?
Projector? what kind?
Distance measuring?
Illuminating section?

See here for an older patent that includes those.

Dystify

Cool - but then that means they're dead pieces of plastic once disconnected, no? Eurogamer rumor seemed to think you could use them as controllers once detached. Either they misunderstood or this patent only handles how they work once connected to the system (to save on power?)

Well I was thinking maybe after you detach them you can plug them on a little piece of hardware that gives the controller parts power and sends the signals to the console.

GPS? Pokemon Go at launch lol

To have Pokémon GO on NX you would need some form of portable internet. Just Wifi is useless with that app.

I ain't trying to be doom and gloom here, but if the controls are operated with images from an infrared camera that basically detects on/off positioning, are we not pretty much confirmed to only have digital non-analog control on the left side (d-pads only)? Unless they come up with some really clever way to detect distance and positioning on a sliding analog scale...

The circle pad pro for the 3DS used the same tech and supported an analog stick so clearly they have a way of detecting analog inputs

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Rösti;213269202 said:
The use of attitude in this context to describe angular position is a bit unfortunate I think. Anyhow, a sensor to detect how the device is positioned in the space it is in.

Maybe it's the lack of creativity in me, but I can't see any real positive uses for that projector. I think we all know how little 3rd parties would actually take advantage of something like that.

kewlbot

i'm sure the the final thing will be pretty responsive and comfortable to hold
nintendo has never really failed in those categories before
...but i guess there's a first time for everything

lobdale

3 ft, coiled to the sky
The circle pad pro for the 3DS used the same tech and supported an analog stick so clearly they have a way of detecting analog inputs

I mean it didn't actually use the same tech at all... it just communicated the data through the infrared port. This looks like it actually uses infrared-reactive optical photos taken as its input.

This arrangement seemingly would not work at all with the way Eurogamer reported that the detachable controllers work, as they clarified that they did hear that each detached controller could function independently for local multiplayer.

However this doesn't invalidate that report, since it's just a patent application and may not be used. It also could be used for customizable add on controllers, where the controllers in the box do have some electronics and batteries.

EVH

Rösti;213266841 said:

32ks9d.png

Gps? Projector? Geomagnetic sensor?

Is this a fucking transformer?

The infrared system sounds similar to how a laser mouse works, but i think this is a very interesting way to approach.

Wonder if this is really something we will see in NX.

MuchoMalo

Banned
rPNCqww.jpg

Edit: Dammit

The fact that this is popping up now also most likely means that the reveal is soon, since Nintendo doesn't like leaking things through patents. We're getting a reveal next month, almost no doubt.

Discomurf

That infrared button concept is quite genius of an idea. Since the camera is enclosed where the accessory is attached (in theory) it would be completely responsive with no lag.

Circle pad works great, no lags

My first thought was a controller without electronics or battery. Unlike the Circle Pad Pro. I am thinking this patent is different than the circle pad pro concept.

That infrared button concept is quite genius of an idea. Since the camera is enclosed where the accessory is attached (in theory) it would be completely responsive with no lag.

This is what I am hoping for.

To all you folks thinking this points to a device with no or minimal electronics:

Note that it is not necessary that the operation device 20 be a device including no electrical configuration. In other embodiments, the operation device 20 may include an electrical configuration such as an electronic circuit. For example, the operation device 20 may include a communication section for communicating with another information processing device different from the portable device 1 to which it is attached. The operation device 20 may be electrically connected to the portable device 1, and may for example include a speaker for receiving a sound signal from the portable device 1 to output sounds. Even in the case of an electrical configuration as described above, it is possible according to the embodiment above to simplify the configuration of the operation device regarding the configuration for the operation section.

This is pretty much in line with what I'm thinking: different communication methods for different use cases. And for a portable, IR may be ideal since it means the control devices won't need to draw any power. But when they're not attached, they can use bluetooth.

well, it'd need those to power the IR communications

Unless I'm reading the diagrams wrong, the IR cameras are on the portable device and just "see" the positions of the buttons through a window on the controller pieces.

Eradicate

Since the thing has a projecting element, maybe there's a way for it to project the IR and/or some sort of signal out to detect presses and things if detached? Maybe even gesture recognition coupled with positioning? Kind of like:

infrared-keyboard.jpg

But, there's nothing stopping popping a battery in and letting each piece have it's own IR internals which emit their own light and which then send an IR signal BACK to the NX; like a dummy remote control.

Well I was thinking maybe after you detach them you can plug them on a little piece of hardware that gives the controller parts power and sends the signals to the console.

Like a Pro Controller shell? You could have multiple types of bodies and just latch on these parts at will!

Seriously, just think of how much battery life this can save.

How much the costs of the controllers and their ports can be reduced due to this measure. It limits the exposed electronics and makes it hardier, and at the same time, there is more leeway in deciding the wattage of other elements such as the SoC.

It also adds the option of the dock having Bluetooth capabilities for controller purposes for a more stable connection. Perhaps this is what is meant by the "3rd component" in the Eurogamer rumor, a bluetooth transmitter than connects the plastic controllers.

It's really a good idea.

Top Bottom