• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Patent Application - Accessory and Information Processing System

Neoxon

$19.99 offline Pokemon Go.
But there's still the issue that the game would probably be well past its prime by the time the NX drops. Maybe the Gen 2 Pokémon could bring some hype back, but I'm not sure if that'll happen (the return of the hype). I'd be down for GO on the NX (my phone only has so much space), but I'm not sure if Niniac will even bother.

Since the thing has a projecting element, maybe there's a way for it to project the IR and/or some sort of signal out to detect presses and things if detached? Maybe even gesture recognition coupled with positioning? Kind of like:

infrared-keyboard.jpg

!

They covered a case like that in a recent patent, it was like a stand to place it in with a mirror that changed the angle of the projection

Taker666

Hmm...maybe it isn't a hybrid after all...

...just a handheld that lets you project an image onto a wall/table and then you can use the separate controller add-ons for some two player games?

Russ T

Banned
The possibilities with this are kind of amazing. Cheap controllers with alternate control schemes? Fun yeah why not.

I'm so excited.

TunaLover

Hey, this mock up would work with this, I'd think
kaZldH5.jpg

You'd only have to include 2 batteries instead of 3

Would the controller core to have the same function as the Wiimote?
That way we would have almost all the controller setup covered (except the Wiimote+nunchuk)

MuchoMalo

Banned
If the dock connects via IR, then Nintendo is on drugs and the dock definitely doesn't do anything important; not even HDMI passthrough.

The capability to read the movement of the parts using an infrared camera doesn't use any electronics.

But that doesn't mean the device that supports this capability can't also have basic internal electronics for disconnected use.

I think the #1 benefit of this application is actually that there doesn't need to be a direct circuit between the accessory and the portable that's exposed when not in use, and the accessories don't need to draw a lot of power while in use with the portable. Communication is handled through IR.

If these add-on controls really can work as separate controllers, it'll be really nice to only have to worry about them being charged during TV use and not on the go.

If the controller already has electronics, then why bother with this? You could just actually connect them to the console and not have to worry about battery when on the go anyway.

This would also limit the controllers to very simple input. Not even an analog stick would work with this setup, let alone motion sensors or anything more fancy.

lobdale

3 ft, coiled to the sky
I've got it all figured out dudes! This is the real deal. The little projector on the side is on the same section as the IR camera and distance detector and IR camera, it's not hard to imagine the projector shooting onto a mirror/reflective display in a right-side attachment to create a second small display on your attachment... attachments could take any form factor as long as they mechanically can provide reflective sensors for the camera to pick up.

I also don't think there's a base station anymore, I think the whole time the "unit" we were reading about was these little controller attachments and the processing thing was the actual NX.

Hand gesture control on the right side... two buttons on the front left and front right.

This is the Super Game and Watch.

Eradicate

(16)

The process performing unit may perform a different process depending on a type of the marker recognized.

Note that when a predetermined marker is recognized, the process performing unit may launch a predetermined application program with which the accessory can be used. If a predetermined marker stops being recognized while a predetermined application with which the accessory can be used is running on the information processing device, the process performing unit may halt the execution of the application program. If a predetermined marker is recognized, the process performing unit may perform a process of accessing a predetermined external device to obtain a predetermined application program with which the accessory can be used. If a predetermined marker is recognized, the process performing unit may perform a process of accessing an external device to obtain a predetermined web page, and displaying the web page on the display device of the information processing device.

What is this about a web page?! And turning applications on and off? I know application can mean "game," but boy howdy...

They covered a case like that in a recent patent, it was like a stand to place it in with a mirror that changed the angle of the projection

!!! You're right, they did! I forgot about that! It ties in really well!

Taker666

If the dock connects via IR, then Nintendo is on drugs and the dock definitely doesn't do anything important; not even HDMI passthrough.

The dock might just be a stand to keep the handheld in when it's projecting an image.

The TV connection might have been bogus after all. Maybe the current dev kits are simply using a connection to the tv to simulate the projector....and people made the wrong assumption.

ElFly

If the controller already has electronics, then why bother with this? You could just actually connect them to the console and not have to worry about battery when on the go anyway.

This would also limit the controllers to very simple input. Not even an analog stick would work with this setup, let alone motion sensors or anything more fancy.

old ball style mouses worked with a kinda similar tech. doesn't get more analog than a mouse

also, motion sensors can be inside the handheld

What is this about a web page?! And turning applications on and off? I know application can mean "game," but boy howdy...

!!! You're right, they did! I forgot about that! It ties in really well!

It sounds like the system can recognize the games with which the attachment is applicable, and then if the attachment is removed it suspends the game. Some attachments can have markers which take you to a certain web page when connected, maybe giving instructions on how to use said attachment?

MuchoMalo

Banned
The dock might just be a stand to keep the handheld in when it's projecting an image.

The TV connection might have been bogus after all. Maybe the current dev kits are simply using a connection to the tv to simulate the projector....and people made the wrong assumption.

All handheld dev kits have TV/Monitor out though. Devs would know better than to assume.

old ball style mouses worked with a kinda similar tech. doesn't get more analog than a mouse

also, motion sensors can be inside the handheld

How would the motion sensors work when the console is in the dock and the controllers are detached? Would it only work in handheld mode?

Also, the way ball mouses worked wouldn't work with how this patent is described. This patent works by detecting the movement of some bit in reference to a position marker, I don't see how that would work for analog input.

But there's still the issue that the game would probably be well past its prime by the time the NX drops. Maybe the Gen 2 Pokémon could bring some hype back, but I'm not sure if that'll happen (the return of the hype). I'd be down for GO on the NX (my phone only has so much space), but I'm not sure if Niniac will even bother.

Not to make this a niantic thread but I'd have to believe them when they say they only have a tenth of what they wanted at launch, so that support will go on for months.

You can lose the controller bits.

spekkeh

Banned
Yeah it doesn't make sense as a way to make it cheaper, because then you wouldn't be able to use the controllers detached.

However it does make sense as an interface method, because you can couple decouple the controllers endlessly without the connector breaking.

Eradicate

The GPS receiver 17 receives a signal from a GPS (Global Positioning System) satellite, and the portable device 1 can calculate the position of the portable device 1 itself by receiving the signal. For example, when a predetermined operation is performed at a particular position (e.g., a gesture input or a button input using the infrared camera 4, shaking the portable device 1, etc., to be described later), the portable device 1 may display an object associated with the particular position. For example, where a game is played on the portable device 1, and the portable device 1 is at a particular position, an object associated with the particular position may appear in the game.

The geomagnetic sensor 18 is a sensor capable of detecting the direction and the magnitude of a magnetic field. For example, based on the detection result of the geomagnetic sensor 18, the portable device 1 may determine whether it is facing a particular azimuthal direction, and the portable device 1 may display an object when a predetermined operation (e.g., a gesture input mentioned above) in a particular azimuthal direction. For example, where a game is played on the portable device 1, an object associated with a particular azimuthal direction may appear in the game. The portable device 1 may combine together GPS information obtained by the GPS receiver 17 and azimuthal direction information obtained by the geomagnetic sensor. For example, if the portable device 1 is at a particular position and is facing a particular azimuthal direction, the portable device 1 may display an object associated with the particular position and the particular azimuthal direction, or such an object may appear in the game.

Pretty cool stuff!

I've got it all figured out dudes! This is the real deal. The little projector on the side is on the same section as the IR camera and distance detector and IR camera, it's not hard to imagine the projector shooting onto a mirror/reflective display in a right-side attachment to create a second small display on your attachment... attachments could take any form factor as long as they mechanically can provide reflective sensors for the camera to pick up.

I also don't think there's a base station anymore, I think the whole time the "unit" we were reading about was these little controller attachments and the processing thing was the actual NX.

Hand gesture control on the right side... two buttons on the front left and front right.

This is the Super Game and Watch.

I think you're right Onion Man! This is very cool!

It sounds like the system can recognize the games with which the attachment is applicable, and then if the attachment is removed it suspends the game. Some attachments can have markers which take you to a certain web page when connected, maybe giving instructions on how to use said attachment?

That's true! It kind of opens up some interesting scenarios. Imagine Super Monkey Ball being released and the game comes with the controller portion which is this little platform you can manipulate (like manipulating the level). It could recognize it immediately, send you information on the controller and how it works for this game, and let you do your thing!

Blobbers

I still don't quite see what the greater purpose of detachable controllers is. The motion controls and the double screen both had great potential, and some games utilized them very well, but the first thing I think of when looking at these patents and mock-ups is "we want to pander to both the smartphone people, and to the more traditional gamer"

Peterc

Rösti;213266841 said:
Another drawing I find quite interesting:

32ks9d.png

Damn this those things are insane. This is what I mean there was more to do than only that EG rumor, something that Nintendo wanted to keep it a secret.
So we can get nice things displayed by the projector? Looks all expensive.

I'm sure it's for the nx, wonder what SMD have to say :)

Doing this would require an exposed part on both the main portable unit (two of them on the portable actually) as well as on each controller piece.

That's four extra potential points of failure that can be relatively easily damaged. The method of connection was always my biggest point of skepticism for the detachable controllers.

It's also probably way more expensive than slapping a couple IR sensors on the sides of the portable and adding a small window to each of the controller bits.

I don't see why it wouldn't, if they engineer something (like a small protrusion mirroring the nub on the stick, or that just moves into the same position as the nub if they go with Circle Pads) onto the underside of the stick that the IR sensor can see and track. There'd be many more positions to record than just pressed/depressed, but I don't see why it couldn't be done.

And I think they could fashion a gyroscope into the main unit as well as one or both of the controller bits. It's not like they aren't positioned to get a decent price for them.

I don't know if this contradicts the DOCK TO TV part of the rumors. But it certainly contradicts the notion that the parts turn into smaller multiplayer controllers.

ElFly

How would the motion sensors work when the console is in the dock and the controllers are detached? Would it only work in handheld mode?

Also, the way ball mouses worked wouldn't work with how this patent is described. This patent works by detecting the movement of some bit in reference to a position marker, I don't see how that would work for analog input.

I assume in that mode you need a battery powered part with bluetooth or something anyway, so it can have another motion detector

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton

If they put a projector in the handheld they might as well put some active cooling and run the Tegra at normal clocks.

But it certainly contradicts the notion that the parts turn into smaller multiplayer controllers.

Why?

Eradicate

Note that the information processing device to which the operation device is attached is not limited to a device including a display section as in the embodiment above, but may be a controller device such as a game controller, for example. For example, the game controller may be a game controller for capturing an image of an outside marker by means of a camera, and the operation performed on the game controller (e.g., an operation of pointing at the screen, or an operation of moving the game controller) may be determined based on the captured image. An operation device such as that of the embodiment above may be attached to such a game controller, and the camera of the game controller may capture an image of the movable portion of the operation device. Then, it is possible to determine the operation performed on the operation section based on the captured image obtained by the camera. The operation device may be attached to an information processing system including a controller, and a main console device that can be attached/detached to/from the controller. For example, the operation device may be attached to a portable information processing device (which can also be said to be an information processing system) including a main console device and a controller. For example, the controller may include the image-capturing unit, and determine an operation performed on the operation section based on the captured image obtained by the image-capturing device. Then, the main console device may perform a predetermined process based on the determined operation.

Pretty cool stuff! I think these modules could really do some cool things with controller shells and such!

I don't see why it wouldn't, if they engineer something (like a small protrusion mirroring the nub on the stick, or that just moves into the same position as the nub if they go with Circle Pads) onto the underside of the stick that the IR sensor can see and track. There'd be many more positions to record than just pressed/depressed, but I don't see why it couldn't be done.

I'm no designer, but I figure if (for the analog part) the could get the IR and/or camera to reflect underneath the stick, it would be easy. From the sounds of this, as soon as you attach a controller portion, the camera takes a "snapshot" of that exact point in time, you're "starting" zone which is the default for "nothing being moved or pressed." It then stores that information and makes all move determinations in the game based on what happens from then on relative to that snapshot. So, underneath an analog stick, it'd be easy to get that snapshot of it straight up (directly in the middle to the camera; kind of like calibrating a monitor). Then, if you move the stick right, it'll see the bottom of the stick move left and know you are heading right since it differs from the snapshot.

I really don't think it'd be tricky at all!

Koozek

Pretty cool stuff! I think these modules could really do some cool things with controller shells and such!

I'm no designer, but I figure if (for the analog part) the could get the IR and/or camera to reflect underneath the stick, it would be easy. From the sounds of this, as soon as you attach a controller portion, the camera takes a "snapshot" of that exact point in time, you're "starting" zone which is the default for "nothing being moved or pressed." It then stores that information and makes all move determinations in the game based on what happens from then on relative to that snapshot. So, underneath an analog stick, it'd be easy to get that snapshot of it straight up (directly in the middle to the camera; kind of like calibrating a monitor). Then, if you move the stick right, it'll see the bottom of the stick move left and know you are heading right since it differs from the snapshot.

I really don't think it'd be tricky at all!
Hmm, would it need software updates for new controllers then to know how to interpret the new controller layout?

Man, this is such a simple but cool idea :D How come no one thought of this before?

Top Bottom