• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo: Small numbers of dead pixels are not a defect

Dr. Buni

Jesus Christ.

Between the laughable save file system (or lack thereof), the dock scratching, the desync issues, the wifi problems and anemic software launch, this feels like one of the most botched system launches in recent memory. And now Nintendo's nonchalant attitude towards a screen defect? Fuck you Nintendo, Zelda deserves to be on better hardware than this.
Yeah, I was hoping Nintendo learned something with the Wii U, but they are once again making the same mistakes and more.

Mohonky

How so? They are saying the same thing, just worded slightly differently.

Bottom line is: 'Dead pixels are a thing we accept. We will replace the device if they bother you, but they may still be there or be worse'

This is the stance of Sony, Apple and Nintendo and has been for a long time now.
Its the stance of every LCD manufacturer I have ever worked with. It depends on where the pixel is and or how many there are. Thats how they have always been about it.

Surface of Me

I'm not an NPC. And neither are we.
Nintendo really almost fooled me into thinking they had their shit together right before launch. But oh man, Nintendo still Nintendo.

Dr. Buni

After the Dark GBA, DS Phat and 3DS it should be obvious that Nintendo always gets handhelds right on the first hardware refresh.
The original 3DS is much better than the XL. XL has laughable build quality, the screen is bad and the audio is of worse quality, too (and not as loud as in the original 3DS).

Do we even have many people reporting dead pixels? Or are people complaining about a page that says "Small numbers of stuck or dead pixels are a characteristic of LCD screens. These are normal and should not be considered a defect." without much else context to it?

They are not saying dead pixels are not a defect. They're saying a small number of dead pixels are not. And that is probably very few, like 1 or 2 dead pixels. Any real noticeable amount of dead pixels and you're talking defect.

Cuburt

I've always been under the assumption that stuck/dead pixels are part of the luck of the draw for LCD panels.

I've never gotten a device with one, luckily, but with so many hardware makers with this stance, what can you do?

Pif

Banned
I've always been under the assumption that stuck/dead pixels are part of the luck of the draw for LCD panels.

I've never gotten a device with one, luckily, but with so many hardware makers with this stance, what can you do?

Yeah they are the luck draw for the manufacturers, not the costumer.

If it happens to you, it is the retailer's problem that Nintendo doesn't cover this. If they refuse, it is lawsuit material. Post a video on youtube about it before and after you win the case for maximum profit.

So Nintendo is saying that dead pixels happen, and they'll replace your panel if you have some. They have a generic info about it the same as basically every company.

So why the outrage? Cuz Nintendo and Gaf I guess.

There are black or bright dots on the Nintendo Switch screen that do not go away, or there are dark or light patches on the screen.

Small numbers of stuck or dead pixels are a characteristic of LCD screens. These are normal and should not be considered a defect.
Anybody else read this in the voice of the radio host from Welcome to Night Vale? Especially the last line.

Recall

But yet Nintendo CS let me exchange my old DS Fat 3 times because I wasn't happy with the screen temperature or speakers until I got a unit I was happy with...

I'll bite.

What was wrong with previous DS's that you were unhappy with? What issue did you have with the speakers?

This has always been the statement of companies, yet I never had any problems sending devices and getting them replaced.
Now, if this was the case of a gaffer that tried to send the device and didn't have it replaced, then we should talk about it. But in the current state of things, the thread is really an attempt to find something to shit on (even though that should be easy with Switch), we're reaching the clickbaity social network level of sadness, with people just searching for confirmation bias or whatever that is.

hiim_haz

Banned
Most companies will say this about screens. With Nintendo if you call them they'll send you a replacement regardless.

Enforcer

This is amazing. 400+ posts because Nintendo has the same policy as every other company that sells products with LCD screens. Tell me again how there's no insane bias against Nintendo?

I've seen others ask this and get ignored, so I'll ask it again just for fun: How many people have had dead/stuck pixels with their Switches and have also had Nintendo refuse to replace them?

This is amazing. 400+ posts because Nintendo has the same policy as every other company that sells products with LCD screens. Tell me again how there's no insane bias against Nintendo?

I've seen others ask this and get ignored, so I'll ask it again just for fun: How many people have had dead/stuck pixels with their Switches and have also had Nintendo refuse to replace them?

Someone in here apparently had 3 units with dead pixels, but just exchange in store.

But you know, gotta make a story out of nothing.

bobawesome

tbf it's the correct response to basically everything about the Switch except the games.

It's really obnoxious when you see it over and over again and I don't think it should be tolerated. I don't mind people pointing out actual issues with the device or problems they have with Nintendo. And no, "Thanks for beta testing!" isn't meant to evoke some greater, deep discussion. It's not impossible for it to generate a deeper discussion, of course, but the sole purpose seems to be to irritate Switch owners.
And clearly it works.

Normal? Gtfo
Nintendo dun goofed

Did you even read beyond the thread title?

Goofed on what? We haven't seen reports of dead pixel issues. One guy in there said he had some bad luck, but that's the first I've seen anyone mention it. The screen is really good, and one of the best parts of the Switch.

This fucking topic is about a small little portion on Nintendo UK's website about dead pixels. Like every other manufacture that sells things with an LCD screen, it's a blanket statement they all have.

Man, I really don't know how Gaffers manage to make it through the day.

PSFan

It doesn't seem normal to me. I've been using devices with screens since the original Gameboy and that was the only device I had a pixel/screen related issue with. I started getting vertical lines of dead pixels on either side of the screen after a while.

But other than that, I've never seen a dead pixel or anything like that on any other device I've owned. Be it gaming devices, phones, tablets or laptop computers. And that encompasses almost thirty years.

Enforcer

Someone in here apparently had 3 units with dead pixels, but just exchange in store.

But you know, gotta make a story out of nothing.

That's what I figured. But Nintendo hates everyone who plays games and is actively trying to destroy our way of life with their industry standard policy, right? I just don't get what drives people to so much hatred and anger.

Jesus Christ.

Between the laughable save file system (or lack thereof), the dock scratching, the desync issues, the wifi problems and anemic software launch, this feels like one of the most botched system launches in recent memory. And now Nintendo's nonchalant attitude towards a screen defect? Fuck you Nintendo, Zelda deserves to be on better hardware than this.

Throw "over-priced accessories", "No VC at launch", and "lack of Netflix app" in there while we're at it. I'm sure you'll get some cringy, rabid fan-boy responses, but it's hard to argue with your overall point. Even if these problems occur individually in only a small percentage of cases, taken as a whole the optics of all this isn't too good right now. I'm still a "Nintendo fan" and probably always will be, but I expect better of them, as should we all. It's pretty clear most of these problems are caused by rushing the launch by at least 3-6 months.

If I hadn't gotten my primary Switch for $9 after trade-ins I might be a tad bit more worried. I think I'll just return the 2nd Switch I bought and wait for solutions to the majority of the above problems before buying another Switch. My fiancé and I can make do with one for at least a year. Maybe by that time we'll have slight hardware revision(s), bug/performance fixes, a more fully robust account system, etc.... With all that said, I'm still going to enjoy the hell out of Zelda (won't start it until we get a performance patch) and MK8D in a few weeks. I'm also weirdly looking forward to 1-2 Switch w/ friends in a few weeks, since I got it for $25 (my copy seems to have been delayed in shipping so haven't played it yet). In the end, all these problems suck and mar the launch...but I buy Ninty for the exclusive games and I know we'll be set in that regard.

elyetis

Considering I have to buy an extra manufacturer insurance if I don't want to play dead pixel roulette with my $700 monitors...

Lol at just flat-out saying this tho.
Pretty much.

It is stupid to say it like they did, but it's really not unexpected, I bought a Asus PG279Q at ~800€ ( I think ) a few month ago and taking a 0 dead pixel warranty would have costed me close to 100€... ( so I played the dead pixel roulette and... luckily won )

Steel

Banned
You know, considering how much Nintendo needs this console to be a success, you'd think they'd have crossed their t's and dotted their i's properly to avoid embarrassing shit like what's been happening.

But, no. It's nintendo.

BibiMaghoo

It's interesting how with LCD screens someone came up with the idea of not binning manufacturing defects and selling them as just something that happens. Many companies are guilty of this, but I think if you complain you can get it replaced for sure.

sirap

This is something I'd expect to see from "shady" Korean monitor sellers on Ebay, not Nintendo. Even they offer some kind of exchange if you're panel has >3 dead pixels.

Audioboxer

Small numbers of stuck or dead pixels are a characteristic of LCD screens. These are normal and should not be considered a defect.

While true, it's a reason I hate LCD screens. AMOLED or nothing on my mobile phones, as holding a device inches from your face = deal pixel and/or light bleed HELL. I remember shuffling through about 8 Nexus 4 devices till I got something I was decently happy with.

With gaming devices it's even more annoying as big screens with "low" resolutions have dead pixels stand out even easier.

The sooner AMOLED/OLED and all variants kill off LCD the better. People can shout about response time till the cows come home, dead pixels and light bleed are absolutely disgusting and it's a travesty in 2017 we still have to put up with them in our screen technology.

If true, this just reaffirms my decision to hold off on getting a Switch until I see somebody selling theirs for cheap in private listings. That way I can actually make sure the one I buy has no dead pixels.

Every time a new handheld comes out, I see people having the same melt down. Sony said the same thing about the PSP and the Vita. Nintendo has been saying it since at least the GBA. I've owned laptops where the manufacturer stated it wasn't a defect until you had at least 10 dead pixels. This is industry standard language that literally every manufacturer uses.

JJH

I'm glad I held off from launch. The 3ds and Wii U screens are some of the worst I have ever owned. I thought the switched looked premium in the media I've seen, but sounds like Nintendo usual hardware quality.

Audioboxer

Every time a new handheld comes out, I see people having the same melt down. Sony said the same thing about the PSP and the Vita. Nintendo has been saying it since at least the GBA. I've owned laptops where the manufacturer stated it wasn't a defect until you had at least 10 dead pixels. This is industry standard language that literally every manufacturer uses.

Vita went OLED, so dead pixels wouldn't have been an issue. Screen blotches and arguably some oversaturation were bigger issues on the Vita, but it was early gen OLED tech. The black levels and lack of dead pixels/light bleed even on fledging OLED tech puts LCD to shame.

Take a look at any modern day Samsung Galaxy phone versus a phone using LCD. Completely destroys them, and yes, this even includes arguably the best-calibrated LCD screens in the iPhone. Galaxy S5 onwards is where OLED tech in Samsung phones really started destroying all the competition. Shame about TouchWiz, but at least more Android phone creators are going AMOLED.

Vita went OLED, so dead pixels wouldn't have been an issue. Screen blotches and arguably some oversaturation were bigger issues on the Vita, but it was early gen OLED tech. The black levels and lack of dead pixels/light bleed even on fledging OLED tech puts LCD to shame.

Well yeah for Vita it was for the blotchiness, and let me tell you, my launch Vita is splotchy as fuuuuuuck

Audioboxer

Well yeah for Vita it was for the blotchiness, and let me tell you, my launch Vita is splotchy as fuuuuuuck

Luckily I dodged a bullet there. Mines has a few patches but it's probably one of the better ones. I still wouldn't trade it for the new LCD Vitas, ever. Regardless of the ergonomics of the newer Vitas.

Screen quality on a handheld device is simply paramount. Nintendo would have made the Switch amazing if they'd have gone with some form of OLED. Usually it's Sony who still drag their heels with LCD, probably with how much money they have invested in it. Quite surprised we even got the Vita with OLED in it to start with.

As someone that previously worked for Lenovo support, I can definitely attest that a small number of dead pixels isn't considered immediate grounds for service or replacement.
Sometimes you may be done a favor if you notify CS very soon after purchase, but it's not a guarantee, and it will be repair via normal service channels.

Nintendo repaired my new 3ds XL that I bought that had ONE dead pixel. no questions asked (one time exception, blabla bla). They always put that since ds days to discourage people to get it fixed, but if you contact them, they will fix it.

Luckily I dodged a bullet there. Mines has a few patches but it's probably one of the better ones. I still wouldn't trade it for the new LCD Vitas, ever. Regardless of the ergonomics of the newer Vitas.

Screen quality on a handheld device is simply paramount. Nintendo would have made the Switch amazing if they'd have gone with some form of OLED.

Mine's pretty bad, but it's never bothered me. You can only see it on an all or mostly black screen, and it's a small price to pay for how gorgeous it looks, especially compared to the LCD revision. Launch Vita for life.

Audioboxer

Mine's pretty bad, but it's never bothered me. You can only see it on an all or mostly black screen, and it's a small price to pay for how gorgeous it looks, especially compared to the LCD revision. Launch Vita for life.

Yeah, nighttime in bed or anywhere in a dark room is where the blotches stand out if the screen goes black. You're right though, the new LCD Vita screens are disgusting. Usual washed out trash with dull colours.

There's probably the odd one with dead pixels and/or light bleed as well.

tkscz

Looking through the thread, multiple times it's mentioned that Nintendo is far from the only company to have this stance on dead pixels (Apple included) so why are we giving them so much shit as if they are the only ones? I mean, it's a shitty stance to take, but it's something done by other big companies.

Koren

This is something I'd expect to see from "shady" Korean monitor sellers on Ebay, not Nintendo.
That's the stance of virtually all people selling displays. There's a reason you can buy additional warranties to zero defect.

I remember a warranty from a well-known hardware maker that was saying that up to 21 stuck subpixels, it wasn't enough for an exchange.

If you really want a zero-defect screen (I'm anal about it too), either buy an insurance, or play the return game...

Beside, if you ask, Nintendo apparently often exchange it, even if the warranty states otherwise (a friend of mine had this problem with its 3DS, they exchanged it easily).

Belakor

Banned
I don't know what's the general policy on this,but If I bought an LCD monitor with dead pixels I would never accept the product.

I don't understand how a consumer who respects himself could accept an LCD screen with dead pixels,whether was it a TV,monitor,smartphone or mobile console

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
My whole stance on this was:

Or many acknowledge it as a defect if it had a dead or stuck pixel.

This is not a good look Nintendo. Especially when many phone manufactures get screens from other companies and still acknowledge it as a defect.

Ha, what? Most manufacturers and resellers have a limit on how many dead or stuck pixels a panel needs to have before they replace it, but i've never, ever heard someone dismiss it as not being a defect. Until now.

With the lil response that was posted, it can been really seen as this. Like I said at least the other examples ppl posted followed it up with warranty info or ways to detect or help get rid of it.

"It's a feature"

Their responses to the issues that have been brought up with the Switch have been horrendous. Totally expected given how dreadful their communication usually is.

Yup. Now, compare the response to the pixels to the one they gave about the joy con signal issues.

I think ppl are missing the point. That the response they gave was basically saying oh well. Even if thats an acceptable response IMO its not. Dont just hand wave it away, do like the many other companies that were posted as examples did....offer some help and end it with warranty info.

Someone mentioned it earlier, maybe this is just Nintendo UK who dropped the ball with this response. Still, its not a good one even if its standard practice for dead pixels.

Surprised Apple, who made holding it wrong a meme, offered more help and info about dead pixels.

Looking through the thread, multiple times it's mentioned that Nintendo is far from the only company to have this stance on dead pixels (Apple included) so why are we giving them so much shit as if they are the only ones? I mean, it's a shitty stance to take, but it's something done by other big companies.

"If everyone else is killing people, we should be less mad about this new person also continuing the killing of people..."

Hyperbolic, but I don't think because its a standard it should just be accepted.

Also Nintendo just launched the Switch fairly successfully. The hate must flow from a lot of people.

Top Bottom