• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Spotlight Presentation (their E3 conference) to be 30 Minutes in length

Status
Not open for further replies.
I imagine that Arms and Splatoon 2 are out of the way (there are tournaments for both of these games,so enough time to talk about them) as well as Pokken. So there is plenty of time for more 2017 games.

Sorry for the silly question but what's a Spotlight?

Is this the main E3 presentation (Direct) that compares to the one from Sony / MS, or is this something else? IIRC the Treehouse is where they do gameplay footage with devs and Nintendo employees.

rhandino

Banned
Ehhh if you cut out all the parts in previous E3 Directs about the developers talking about the games then it's probably around that length?
No, it cant be because that would make too much sense and will not align wiyh the salty narrative that is being developed here.

They can still fit plenty in that timeframe assuming they stick with the checklist format, or just cut the skits altogether.

maxcriden

That's pretty short. Guess we won't get early 2018 games after all

I don't think that is guaranteed by any means. I still expect to see 1-2 H1 2018 games. Nintendo can run through a lot of information quickly if they want.

FWIW, I don't see how this solidifies the presentation as definitively 30 mins. It says the show starts "about 9:30," which gives I think a potential 10 mins of wiggle room, but I could just be kidding myself. :)

Lunar15

They don't have to go too in depth about the games because Treehouse is immediately after.

That said, anyone still expecting tons of brand new game announcements probably should start putting their expectations in check.

So Pokken, Mario Oddysey, Fire Emblem Warriors, Splatoon 2, Arms, Pokemon Ultra, the Kirby 3DS anniversary game, Skyrim, Sonic, Mario and Rabbids, Xenoblade 2 and maybe some indies.

I don't care how long it is. I care about what is shown, and Nintendo better deliver on some unannounced games that aren't Mario + Rabbids..

I still think we're getting a Smash trailer.

And that's all I kinda want to see. I wonder if they get another third party character like Bomberman to end it just like they had Megaman and Snake before.

Bulzeeb

Well, I guess that there wont be any time wasted on Pokken DX or the G/S virtual console release so thats like 5 minutes saved.

Why so little to show? Why haven't they invested in a high number of titles for their brand new goddamn console that needs support? What the hell is going on at Nintendo?

Uh, there's no doubt they have an insane amount of software in the pipeline.

Thing is, when Nintendo is riding high, they utilize the strategy of showing very little software beyond the upcoming 12 month period. And with Switch doing as well as it is, they likely feel no need to announce anything further out than that.

Whether you think this is a good strategy or not is another issue.

It's actually less than 30 minutes, if TreeHouse is starting at 9:30 PST. I knew it was fishy when they called it a Spotlight instead of Digital Event.

AR15mex

Remember they have been doing 3 direct before E3,

ARMS,

Splatoon 2,

Pokemon,

So Maybe thats why its short?

Last years I think it was around 46 mins!

The_Lump

Banned
That's kind of short, but if they cut their "playful" segments (interviews, muppet shows) they can still have a lot of announcements. I was hoping for that bit of playfulness though.

Yeah the Nindy thing was full of content and that was quite short wasn't it? If it's that kind of fast paced sizzle reel-ish format then 30 mins if fine. If it's the old fashioned "explain fundamental concept behind every minor design decision" Nintendo Direct we used to get then that's a little short.

Welcome everybody to the Super Mario Odyssey direct. enjoy some videos on the levels and developers talking about the game during this 25 minutes. 5 last minutes will be nindies and splatoon.
Enjoy your stay and be sure to look up for Nintendo Treehouse, goodbye!

axisofweevils

Holy crap! Today's real megaton is that more than two people can have the same first name.
Why so little to show? Why haven't they invested in a high number of titles for their brand new goddamn console that needs support? What the hell is going on at Nintendo?

They don't consider E3 as the one place to announce games. Simple as that.
Why explode your load in June and compete for attention when you can have a July direct all to yourself?

maxcriden

Sorry for the silly question but what's a Spotlight?

Is this the main E3 presentation (Direct) that compares to the one from Sony / MS, or is this something else? IIRC the Treehouse is where they do gameplay footage with devs and Nintendo employees.

Yes, this is the main E3 presentation. It's unclear what exactly the format will be. In past years it hasn't been called by this same title. It will focus on Switch 2017 games, especially Mario Odyssey. It may also show future unannounced games (including leaked games like Mario + Rabbids), and based on past years I would expect at least a couple new game announcements total, for the period from June 2017 to possibly early 2018. We could even get a teaser of mid to late 2018 games. Also, Nintendo likes to do "available now" for new titles so the Spotlight or Treehouse could include announcements like that.

CronoShot

Considering there should be hardly any ARMS, Splatoon 2, or Pokken (since they've already seen coverage, and entire directs in the case of ARMS and Splatoon) that's plenty of time.

Christ, ever since the announcement of this spotlight thing just focusing on 2017 games I was worried but this has sealed it for me. I'm going into this with no hype at all, no expectation apart from disappointment. Nintendo are normally my most hyped conference but I think I've learnt, I've awoken. I see the light and that light is sadly shit.

Shame, because on their day Nintendo still provides the best gaming experiences around, it's just never their day anymore.

NotLiquid

Wonder if they're going to trim the fat off of this "Spotlight".

Much of the Digital Events had inflated length because they focused a lot on "Developer Stories" and interviews. Things like Hyrule Warriors, Woolly World, Star Fox Zero and Splatoon took up around 7-8 minutes each when it came to just talking about developer tidbits.

If they're cutting that stuff out then 30 minutes sounds in-line with the number of reveals and trailers they had for previous events. They can just focus on game reveals and trailers.

maxcriden

Well, I guess that there wont be any time wasted on Pokken DX or the G/S virtual console release so thats like 5 minutes saved.

They have nothing Pokken related to show off, so between that, ARMS, and Splatoon all having Invitationals, all that's left is Rabbids, Odyssey, and Xenoblade. One or two new announcements, and something from 2018 like FE, is pretty good for a 30 minute "Spotlight." A third-party reel is about all we'll get probably, so it makes sense.

I think Pokken may still be shown.

Wonder if they're going to trim the fat off of this "Spotlight".

Much of the Digital Events had inflated length because they focused a lot on "Developer Stories" and interviews. Things like Hyrule Warriors, Woolly World, Star Fox Zero and Splatoon took up around 7-8 minutes just talking about developer tidbits.

If they're cutting that stuff out then 30 minutes sounds in-line with previous events. They can just focus on game reveals and trailers.

I completely agree with you and am trying to stay optimistic, haha. I want at least one new game announcement besides Mario + Rabbids.

They have nothing Pokken related to show off, so between that, ARMS, and Splatoon all having Invitationals, all that's left is Rabbids, Odyssey, and Xenoblade. One or two new announcements, and something from 2018 like FE, is pretty good for a 30 minute "Spotlight." A third-party reel is about all we'll get probably, so it makes sense.

Considering there should be hardly any ARMS, Splatoon 2, or Pokken (since they've already seen coverage, and entire directs in the case of ARMS and Splatoon) that's plenty of time.

Again, I think you all need to dial down your expectations. I absolutely foresee all three of those titles receiving air time during the Spotlight. Splatoon 2, in particular.

Pachimari

I guess I'm gonna see Mario Odyssey, but I already know I'm gonna get Splatoon 2, so I don't care about more footage. I just want a new game announcement or two. Because, Xenoblade, Fire Emblem Musou and stuff like that ain't cutting it for me personally. But I guess Zelda and Mario alone can last me this entire year.

Holy shit at the conclusions some if you can draw. I think we have seen plenty of times in the past that a lot can be announced in 30 minutes.

Also shouldnt the anger about today's direct ve pointed at TPC abd GF since they determine where they will be developing their games?

I don't know what to expect from E3 this year but seriously stop with the jumping to conclusions based on nothing.

maxcriden

It's actually less than 30 minutes, if TreeHouse is starting at 9:30 PST. I knew it was fishy when they called it a Spotlight instead of Digital Event.

I don't necessarily disagree, but unless I missed something, all it says is that it ends about 9:30, right? So there's a good 5-10 mins of wiggle room with the word "about." Please correct me if I misunderstood, though.

Again, I think you all need to dial down your expectations. I absolutely foresee all three of those titles receiving air time during the Spotlight. Splatoon 2, in particular.

I agree with you.

You guys realize the Nintendo spotlight isn't the only time during E3 where new games are announced, right?

No. They forget every single year.

Then they act surprised when 4 or 5 new games get announced in the Treehouse stream.

This is a great point also. We are also likely to get "available now" announcements in the Spotlight or during the Treehouse stream.

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
No. They forget every single year.

Then they act surprised when 4 or 5 new games get announced in the Treehouse stream.
And then they also get surprised when nintendo still announces a bunch of shit in their directs despite acting like they never do

People think they won't show ARMS (which releases a few days after E3) in their spotlight direct which is where they'll get the most views? C'mon, guys...

If a switch pokemon game isn't coming till some time next year, there's seems to be no reason to me to announce it now. it's not like there is stock for people to go out and buy a switch this minute.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom