• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Spotlight Presentation (their E3 conference) to be 30 Minutes in length

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think if they were to go at the same pace they did with the last Nintendo Direct then they could pack 30 mins with a lot of good stuff. I don't think there's any need to panic.

Bahorel

I mean at the very least, the game we know is going to be there is going to be fuckin amazing. I'm a bit disappointed that I don't know what else I'll get to play on my switch but if I keep my expectations rock bottom to us only getting news of Mario Odyssey and nothing else, that's still a good direct

Around 40 minutes. Granted, it was also littered with several "Developer Stories" where developers ramble on about their games for several minutes.

Maybe that's why the Spotlight Presentation's shorter than the Digital Events, less Developer Stories, save the talk with guys like Koizumi for Treehouse Live, maybe?

It's better than 3-5 minutes focused on Ubisoft developers on how and why the Mario x Rabbids concept came to be

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
That is disappointing for sure. I don't expect any surprised whatsoever.

TDLink

This is a leap. I mean if you do the math sure, but I wouldn't say it's a confirmation at all.

Either way, nothing to panic about. They -could- have new trailers for all the announced 1st party games and only take up like 10-12 minutes. Plenty of time to announce new stuff.

Only new 1-2 games will be shown, huh?

And Nintendo really doesn't like Sony's strategy of showing stuff super early to get hype and sales anymore, huh?

They obviously have 2018 games. Just don't wanna talk about those until a 2018 direct, huh?

Yes to all three, and one of those 1-2 games is going to be Mario + Rabbids, most likely.

Maybe that's why the Spotlight Presentation's shorter than the Digital Events, less Developer Stories, save the talk with guys like Koizumi for Treehouse Live, maybe?

It's better than 3-5 minutes focused on Ubisoft developers on how and why the Mario x Rabbids concept came to be

They can do that during tree house.

NESpowerhouse

Perhaps he's wondering why someone would shoot a man before throwing him out of a plane.

Oh boy I hope so. The reason I watch E3 is for announcements and more info on games I'm really hyped for. Other than Mario and Xenoblade, I'm not so sure what Nintendo will likely show to get me excited

Waji

I agree. Directs were long for the Wii U because there weren't many games. They had to cover with lots of details.

The last N Direct showed how they have to change the pace with far more games coming.

BlackJace

Sony and Microsoft (and I guess Square Enix lol) have really got some of y'all into thinking announcing shit 1+ years away in order to generate hype is the way to go huh.

Fallout 4 announcement + launch window ftw

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
The Spotlight could be a different format compared to the Digital Event. The two digital events we've witnessed lasted 46-48 minutes; a live-stream with shorter / fewer interviews with developers, less gags, a rapid pace like the recent general Nintendo Direct and you'd have enough time for content.

Yikes, guess they have nothing to show.

What a mess.

...If that's the current GAF mood, I guess the only thing left is to leave the forum for a few days, just to de-intoxicate myself from the hyperventilated negativity and doom-ism of several (good) guys and trolls.

See you soon, everyone.

Not even going to waste my time to watch. Will find out what was annouced via gaf. Nintendo's direct and announcements never fail to disappoint.

Yikes, guess they have nothing to show.

What a mess.

Not really. Guess you guys haven't follow Nintendo at E3 the past years. They moved to a much better concept where they have a small presentation and then a few days of showing more new games, gameplay and stuff like that. It actually works really nice and they get to cover a lot more aspects of said games.

Are we crazy to think that game is Mario Odyssey though?

Edit: "tease"

There might me some small new announcements like Ever Oasis or Triforce Heroes that came out of nowhere in recent years (or Animal Crossing the Board Game whatever that was called).
I don't think we'll see a big surprise title beyond Rabbids Kingdom though.
Why would they tease Mario Odyssey???
That already happened.

KingBroly

Banned
At this point I'm setting my expectations at 'Retro spent the last 4 years remaking DKC:TF for Switch and it'll be called Tropical Freeze Delight."

That's where I think I'm at with Nintendo.

Thirty minutes isn't terrible. The 2014 was around forty minutes or so. You also need to remember that the new Direct format is much snappier and faster than the old one.

Furthermore, if we really think about it, the live presentations only contain about thirty minutes or so of actual news if we subtract all the people coming on stage, the audience cheering, and the showboating. Sort of like watching an NFL game.

Trevelyan

Banned
This is perfectly fine. I imagine the real presentation will probably be about 35 minutes in length. Toss in a quick introduction by Reggie, and you still have time for about 10-11 3min trailers, which is more than enough for 3-4 new games to be introduced.

Stencil

first no pokemon switch, now a short presentation. They're abandoning the Switch arent they? Fuck u nintendo.

In all seriousness, I'm not expecting a lot from this. Seems like they're hiding their megatons for later.

Buggy Loop

I've been saying this for a couple of days now but, keep expectations really reallllly low. If Pokemon direct is any indication, is that Nintendo is a bit unprepared for Switch's success and likely very conservative in their presentation of things to come, especially with that 2017 focus.

You can't put much into 30 mins.. If Mario Odyssey takes 10 mins of it, prepare yourselves for not much bomb droppings. I'm not even expecting they show what Retro is working on at this point. They could and they should drop bombs all the over the place to hype Switch, but they won't. At the same time, if you can't even get enough units out til probably the end of the year, probably many changes have been made to spread games further down the line.

Mik317

expect updates on the games we already know and maaaaaybe some small new game.

DO NOT expect anything super major.

Vinc

It says treehouse starts at 10 on Wednesday and Thursday. No mention of Tuesday. I think OP misread.

Edit: nvm. Event is at 9:00.

Not even going to waste my time to watch. Will find out what was annouced via gaf. Nintendo's direct and announcements never fail to disappoint.

That's about where I'm at. Hopefully there's some nice surprises in there for those watching. I ain't watching, ain't getting my hopes and expectations up. I'll just check out the cool new games and info as the threads appear.

Forkball

I like the developer stories too. But perhaps they would best be suited for Treehouse or just uploaded on Youtube. The last big Direct moved really quickly, let's hope this one does as well and we don't get a ten minute trailer for any game that's not called Animal Crossing.

Thatanas

Why do people overreact? Jesus Christ the salt is immense in here. E3 should be the most exciting of times and here we have a babyfest. Will dodge site, thanks guys.

NESpowerhouse

Perhaps he's wondering why someone would shoot a man before throwing him out of a plane.
At this point I'm setting my expectations at 'Retro spent the last 4 years remaking DKC:TF for Switch and it'll be called Tropical Freeze Delight."

That's where I think I'm at with Nintendo.
I swear to God if that's what they do.

I've been saying this for a couple of days now but, keep expectations really reallllly low. If Pokemon direct is any indication, is that Nintendo is a bit unprepared for Switch's success and likely very conservative in their presentation of things to come, especially with that 2017 focus.

You can't put much into 30 mins.. If Mario Odyssey takes 10 mins of it, prepare yourselves for not much bomb droppings. I'm not even expecting they show what Retro is working on at this point. They could and they should drop bombs all the over the place to hype Switch, but they won't. At the same time, if you can't even get enough units out til probably the end of the year, probably many changes have been made to spread games further down the line.

*Game Freak is a bit unprepared

wildfire

Banned

10 minutes? Get real. No one is going to dedicate 10 minutes in a preplanned presentation. This isn't a livestream demo. 3.5 minutes max.

Unless they really surprise us with big announcements rather than covering already announced things for 15+ minutes, I have a feeling they will disappoint.

I'm not feeling it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom