• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Spotlight Presentation (their E3 conference) to be 30 Minutes in length

Status
Not open for further replies.

IceMarker

I really hope they can pack 30 minutes worth of content that will convince me to buy a Switch by the end of the year. I'm guessing not and I'll have to wait for a Fall Nintendo Direct to achieve that.

However, if I get even a drop of a new traditional 3D or 2D Metroid...

maxcriden

Treeshouse and tournie, that's why they put it out today and even said as much in the Direct.

I see what you mean, but I still think a quick glimpse of it as part of the lineup is possible. Trying to calibrate my expectations haha. I will be happy with just one single announcement of interest to me....

Dat 2017 Focus

Definitely focusing on 2017 games.

Part of me's going to feel sad if Xenoblade 2 doesn't show up in that case

Why so little to show? Why haven't they invested in a high number of titles for their brand new goddamn console that needs support? What the hell is going on at Nintendo?

On the other hand, it's good that Nintendo's only going to show off games that are ready to come out soon, rather than announce something for the sake of hype or "winning E3" and said project / game won't come out for a very long time like Final Fantasy 7 Remake or Death Stranding

I don't think that is guaranteed by any means. I still expect to see 1-2 H1 2018 games. Nintendo can run through a lot of information quickly if they want.

FWIW, I don't see how this solidifies the presentation as definitively 30 mins. It says the show starts "about 9:30," which gives I think a potential 10 mins of wiggle room, but I could just be kidding myself. :)

That's how i perceive it. But the internet doesn't work like that :). Wouldn't be surprised if it is 36 minutes or something.

I think:

- Mario
- Mario x Rabbids
- Sonic
- Fire Emblem stuff
- Smash port
- Splatoon 2
- Xenoblade
- Animal Crossing?
- Retro's new game?
- Indies
- Skyrim
- Other 3rd party stuff

Is doable in 30 minutes, of they keep the announcements short and snappy. Please don't feature some guy painting an Amiibo or something. Or people playing the Mario theme song on a didgeridoo

marmoka

Banned
Only 30? That's too short for an E3. We have even seen longer Directs.

Hype decreasing? Getting ready for disappointment.

Cloud7

30 minutes? Ew. That is really short. My Nintendo hype has dropped down considerably since the Pokemon Direct.

javac

People think they won't show ARMS (which releases a few days after E3) in their spotlight direct which is where they'll get the most views? C'mon, guys...

Its getting its own tournament, I do expect a short little "out this week, critics gave it 10/10!" mention or whatever.

Trago

Part of me's going to feel sad if Xenoblade 2 doesn't show up in that case

The game is still officially slated for 2017. Unless they announce otherwise, we should assume this to be the case still.

I'm expecting hard release dates for announced titles basically, which is good.

MisterR

Again, I think you all need to dial down your expectations. I absolutely foresee all three of those titles receiving air time during the Spotlight. Splatoon 2, in particular.

Yep, there is no way they won't spend a few minutes on each of those games and I'm guessing close to 10 minutes on Mario.

-shadow-

Could be just a bunch of announcements and shirt trailers with the gameplay happening immediately afterwards in the Treehouse Live. That'd be a great way to not have a overly long presentation.

vareon

The last direct was 35 minutes, and the Switch segment was 11 and a half minutes long and it has 16 "headlines".

Plum

After today I'm dialing down my expectations but I'm hyped nonetheless. I doubt anything can top the sheer disappointment of 2015.

Instro

5 minutes on ARMS
5 minutes on Splatoon
5 minutes on Pokken
5 minutes on FE
5 minutes on Mario
5 minutes for fireworks

The end.

NESpowerhouse

Perhaps he's wondering why someone would shoot a man before throwing him out of a plane.
How long was the 2014 one, which was probably the best pre-recorded E3 show Nintendo has ever done.

Around 40 minutes. Granted, it was also littered with several "Developer Stories" where developers ramble on about their games for several minutes.

No. They forget every single year.

Then they act surprised when 4 or 5 new games get announced in the Treehouse stream.
Definitely true but the biggest stuff is announced during the Direct itself. The Treehouse/IGN/other outlets can vary in scope. Sometimes its Ever Oasis, sometimes its Wonderful 101, sometimes its Wii Fit Trainer in Smash and other times its Devil's Third. Hell sometimes they announce a game like the original Xenoblade and leave it out of the conference entirely only to put it in the press kit. Nintendo isn't very consistent with these things.

Yes, this is the main E3 presentation. It's unclear what exactly the format will be. In past years it hasn't been called by this same title. It will focus on Switch 2017 games, especially Mario Odyssey. It may also show future unannounced games (including leaked games like Mario + Rabbids), and based on past years I would expect at least a couple new game announcements total, for the period from June 2017 to possibly early 2018. We could even get a teaser of mid to late 2018 games. Also, Nintendo likes to do "available now" for new titles so the Spotlight or Treehouse could include announcements like that.

Thanks a lot - much appreciated :). Sounds like I'm going to have to plan on watching the Treehouse too then.

Taker666

I still think we're getting a Smash trailer.

And that's all I kinda want to see. I wonder if they get another third party character like Bomberman to end it just like they had Megaman and Snake before.

A Smash trailer does seem likely...I'm guessing that and 1 big game (maybe Retro's title) and Mario x Rabbids. The rest will be previously announced titles.

Treehouse should be good this year (probably better than their Spotlight E3 show) as we're likely to get a deep first time hands-on with pretty much all their announced games.

maxcriden

The game is still officially slated for 2017. Unless they announce otherwise, we should assume this to be the case still.

I'm expecting hard release dates for announced titles basically, which is good.

Just to calibrate your expectations, we may not get hard release dates for all titles. In recent years for example Nintendo has announced titles at E3 which release the same year (Mario 3D World, for example), with no date attached at the time of the announcement. Similar to ARMS being announced in January with no date.

Thanks a lot - much appreciated :). Sounds like I'm going to have to plan on watching the Treehouse too then.

My pleasure. There can be a lot of fun stuff in both presentations. Fingers crossed for an eminently satisfying E3 showing.

DeathoftheEndless

Crashing this plane... with no survivors!
So Pokken, Mario Odyssey, Fire Emblem Warriors, Splatoon 2, Arms, Pokemon Ultra, the Kirby 3DS anniversary game, Skyrim, Sonic, Mario and Rabbids, Xenoblade 2 and maybe some indies.

Also Steep, NBA 2K, FIFA, Monster Hunter XX, and Pikmin 3DS. And possibly Dragon Quest XI and Fire Emblem Switch game.

Are some of you still expecting Nintendo to pull a bunch of games out of their ass?

I expressed concern about their first party lineup a few months ago, but Nintendo themselves are looking very healthy in 2017 after the recent announcements/leaks. It's really the third party developers who have to step it up.

Sure do hope they have the speedy format the last direct used. If that's 10 mins Mario and 5 mins absurd sketch it'll be pretty disappointing

Falchion

Yeah that's a pretty short window but I guess it'll be lots of quick, 2 minute announcements and reveals with more details on most of it during the Treehouse.

Vena

5 minutes on ARMS
5 minutes on Splatoon
5 minutes on Pokken
5 minutes on FE
5 minutes on Mario
5 minutes for fireworks

The end.

Pokken won't be in it, nor will ARMs. Splatoon I don't even think because they've actually already handled everything for the game in three directs.

I would be shocked if anything substantial is announced for the Switch after the spotlight. The hype is gone, it's time to face reality.

You're trying way too hard.

Kyzer

Banned
so we already know what E3 will be, then.

Splatoon 2

Pokken DX

Monster Hunter XX

Mario x Rabbids

Fire Emblem Warriors

Xenoblade 2

Super Mario Odyssey

and then probably some sort of teasers for whats coming in the first half of 2017...Super Smash Bros. DX?

Around 40 minutes. Granted, it was also littered with several "Developer Stories" where developers ramble on about their games for several minutes.

There is nothing to say that this will direct will be 40 minutes either. Be silly to tell people to tune in at 9.45 if stuff starts at 9.43 or something. There is a fair amount of leeway here. Just my take on it though.

NESpowerhouse

Perhaps he's wondering why someone would shoot a man before throwing him out of a plane.
I should probably do my part and appease the Metroid gods by finishing Prime 1 again.

Works every time...

So if each game gets five minutes thats about six games they can show, splatoon, mario odyssey, and kingdom battle are a given so any bets on what the other 3 are? Id guess smash 4 switch, fire emblem warriors, and pikmin 4

Trago

Just to calibrate your expectations, we may not get hard release dates for all titles. In recent years for example Nintendo has announced titles at E3 which release the same year (Mario 3D World, for example), with no date attached at the time of the announcement. Similar to ARMS being announced in January with no date.

I'm talking about release dates for existing titles. Major E3 announcements hardly come with release dates attached to them.

:p

Xater

so we already know what E3 will be, then.

Splatoon 2

Pokken DX

Monster Hunter XX

Mario x Rabbids

Fire Emblem Warriors

Xenoblade 2

Super Mario Odyssey

and then probably some sort of teasers for whats coming in the first half of 2017...Super Smash Bros. DX?

The Rabbids game will be there.

Dee Dee

I think you people are crazy that don't think Nintendo is going to tease a big future game at the biggest gaming show of the year.

Are we crazy to think that game is Mario Odyssey though?

Edit: "tease"

There might me some small new announcements like Ever Oasis or Triforce Heroes that came out of nowhere in recent years (or Animal Crossing the Board Game whatever that was called).
I don't think we'll see a big surprise title beyond Rabbids Kingdom though.

Is this why they aren't having a live presentation? Because they have nothing to show?

In terms of their content:
2006 Good
2007 Good
2008 Bad
2009 Good
2010 Good
2011 Good
2012 Bad
2013 Good
2014 Good
2015 Bad
2016 Bad

NESpowerhouse

Is this why they aren't having a live presentation? Because they have nothing to show?

In terms of their content:
2006 Good
2007 Good
2008 Bad
2009 Good
2010 Good
2011 Good
2012 Bad
2013 Good
2014 Good
2015 Bad
2016 Bad

Just like how they had nothing to show in 2013 and 2014?

Mediking

Only new 1-2 games will be shown, huh?

And Nintendo really doesn't like Sony's strategy of showing stuff super early to get hype and sales anymore, huh?

They obviously have 2018 games. Just don't wanna talk about those until a 2018 direct, huh?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom