• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Spotlight Presentation (their E3 conference) to be 30 Minutes in length

Status
Not open for further replies.

Damn, the 2014 event was packed with interesting announcements and it came at a time when Nintendo didn't have *huge* third party games to announce so it was all first party games.

Given Nintendo's focusing on games releasing this year (or so they say) on 3DS and Switch, I wonder if we'll see any third party games get the spotlight, which they should.

EhoaVash

suddenly I feel a bit of dread for nintendo E3 this year lol wtf .....

atleast sony won't disappoint, i mean no way can they fail right ._.

Josh5890

I'm not getting my hopes up whatsoever for this, mainly because I think it's going to play a large part in their online service that's coming this Fall next year.

I know :( Honestly, even if they announce it next week, I would be hesitant to purchase anything since we don't know much about what games will be included going forward with the online service.
But I'm still purchasing Donkey Kong Country 2 day 1

Phamit

Eh its says Tuesday the Show starts after the Spotlight. it specifically didn't mention a Time. Treehouse starts whenever the Spotlight is finished, could be 10, 11, 12 or somewhere in that timeframe

The following days, so wednesday and thursday the treehouse shows starts at 10 am.

Hmm...

I wouldn't make too much noise about Rabbids for this direct then, if that's the case. Any ARMS details is also fit for the tournament. Splatoon 2 I can see them do a bit of.

Tregard

Soothsayer
This only works if it is literally a showcase of trailers and every in depth demonstration is saved for Treehouse

Jencks

Banned
30 minutes is short compared to the 2014 and 2015 Digital Events. Assuming it'll be more like the faster pace direct we got in April.

Expectations in check. I just want Mario and Xenoblade.

maxcriden

I'm talking about release dates for existing titles. Major E3 announcements hardly come with release dates attached to them.

:p

Ah, true, lol, I missed that bit, sorry. :) But, Mario Odyssey for example I don't necessarily expect a release date for, just a month. Nintendo only seems to give out release dates four or so months in advance these days. Then again we did just get the Pokémon release dates so I could be totally mistaken.

Maybe I'm pessimistic off the Pokémon stuff, but 30 minutes seems indicative of Nintendo truly only showcasing 2017 games. I hope they don't disappoint, but at this rate, I think Nintendo's forward momentum is gonna slow down.

To the people doubting 30min isnt enough time the April 2017 direct was 35min and showed off

Hey! Pikmin
Ever Oasis
Monster Hunter Stories
YO-KAI WATCH 2: Psychic Specters
Culdcept Revolt
RPG Maker Fes
Miitopia
Fire Emblem Echoes: Shadows of Valentia
Team Kirby Clash Deluxe
Kirby's Blowout Blast
BYE-BYE BOXBOY!
ARMS
Mario Kart 8 Deluxe
Ultra Street Fighter II: The Final Challengers!
Minecraft: Nintendo Switch Edition
Sonic Forces
Sonic Mania
Project Mekuru
Fate/Extella
Disgaea 5 Complete
Puyo Puyo Tetris
Monopoly
Rayman Legends Definitive edition
Sine Mora EX
Battle Chasers: Nightwar
Payday 2
Namco Museum
Splatoon 2

while also detailing new accessories and amiibo 30min is plenty of time.

XandBosch

As long as there are a few surprises, I don't really care if it's only 2017. 2017 is pretty stacked as of now, IMO.

Announcing a Smash port and some Gamecube VC would be cherries though. Pokemon was part of this list too, but...

I'm really glad Mario x Rabbids leaked. That's clearly going one of the few "unannounced" titles next week and if we didn't know about it already, I think the meltdowns would have been pretty hard to deal with. Maybe not Federation Force-level, but pretty bad nonetheless.

dkeane

Eh its says Tuesday the Show starts after the Spotlight. it specifically didn't mention a Time. Treehouse starts whenever the Spotlight is finished, could be 10, 11, 12 or somewhere in that timeframe

The following days, so wednesday and thursday the treehouse shows starts at 10 am.
Yeah, there's nothing in that press release for anyone to infer that the direct will be 30m long.
People really need to learn how to read.

Thatanas

To the people doubting 30min isnt enough time the April 2017 direct was 35min and showed off

Hey! Pikmin
Ever Oasis
Monster Hunter Stories
Culdcept Revolt
RPG Maker Fes
Miitopia
Team Kirby Clash Deluxe
Kirby's Blowout Blast
BYE-BYE BOXBOY!
ARMS
Mario Kart 8 Deluxe
Sonic Forces
Sonic Mania
Project Mekuru
Fate/Extella
Disgaea 5 Complete
Puyo Puyo Tetris
Monopoly
Sine Mora EX
Payday 2
Namco Museum
Splatoon 2

Thank you.

Schnozberry

Maybe I'm pessimistic off the Pokémon stuff, but 30 minutes seems indicative of Nintendo truly only showcasing 2017 games. I hope they don't disappoint, but at this rate, I think Nintendo's forward momentum is gonna slow down.

This point of view is only realistic if you assume that Splatoon 2, Arms, Xenoblade 2, Fire Emblem Warriors, Pokken Deluxe, Zelda DLC, a bunch of cool Indies, some third party efforts and Super Mario Oddysey is a shit 2017 lineup. Playing trailers for 2018 games is best saved for a direct around the holiday season when people are on the fence about a Switch purchase.

They usually save a surprise or two for the treehouse team too.

mclem

So Pokken, Mario Oddysey, Fire Emblem Warriors, Splatoon 2, Arms, Pokemon Ultra, the Kirby 3DS anniversary game, Skyrim, Sonic, Mario and Rabbids, Xenoblade 2 and maybe some indies.

Plus the eternal mystery of what the heck Retro is up to. Although, that said, for the last few E3s and major reveal events I've thought "We'll have to find out this time!", and nope, hasn't been the case, so I'm not going to assume it!

The Pokemon Direct had to be today because Nintendo knew gamers would be super pissed at no real Pokemon game announced for the Switch, while the 3DS gets one.

The folks that care about E3 don't want to hear about 3DS support still.

Waji

They have plenty of time in 30 minutes to show far more than in 35-45+ minutes of Wii U directs.
There won't be 20 minutes of Miiverse and developers talking.

Hey! Pikmin
Ever Oasis
Monster Hunter Stories
Culdcept Revolt
RPG Maker Fes
Miitopia
Team Kirby Clash Deluxe
Kirby's Blowout Blast
BYE-BYE BOXBOY!
ARMS
Mario Kart 8 Deluxe
Sonic Forces
Sonic Mania
Project Mekuru
Fate/Extella
Disgaea 5 Complete
Puyo Puyo Tetris
Monopoly
Sine Mora EX
Payday 2
Namco Museum
Splatoon 2

Thank you for this.

Hype somewhat redeemed.

There may be time for Retro Studios / Platinum / Metroid reveals yet.

jdmonmou

I don't really care about seeing Mario or Pokken. I just hope Nintendo has some good third party games to announce.

One must lower his expectations!

That's what is funny about Nintendo, they have the software and now they have a fantastic piece of hardware but they always seem to disappoint people with their demos/live presentations minus the exceptions. I mean, we all know that Nintendo dropped out of the live press conferences tradition not because of the lack of games in development but because they know they just can't compete anymore to create wow moments. It's sad because they could show Metroid, a new F-Zero and people would got batshit crazy (myself included) but they would probably just botch the job of their presentation and actually manufacture less hype on the games that should carry hype on their shoulders.

They can show a lot in 30 minutes and go deeper into the games at their treehouse presentation. Don't see a problem here tbh. Aaaaand on too of that: the E3 isn't THAT important for Nintendo anymore. They put out the news all over the yeqr and not just at E3. So don't expect that many games for 2018.

All I really want from this Spotlight that's focused on 2017 switch releases is a NA date for Monster Hunter XX.

I'm not mad about Pokemon. My Switch 2017 calendar will be full enough without it.

Buggy Loop

Oh shit, even forgot talk about online subscription, VC, etc. They'll take a good 5 mins for that for sure, making sure to have a short reel of parental control for online games..

Sucks for Retro, no gap left for them.

My friend said something that made sense though. That last Direct was brief too but they showed tons of games. They did that very well too.

If they go at that speed no way they will only cover games releasing this year. We MUST hear about Retro's new game.

My hope here is they use their treehouse time to elaborate and just shotgun out like 7 games we haven't heard about with a couple minutes to flesh out on mario and xenoblade.

Waji

Oh shit, even forgot talk about online subscription, VC, etc. They'll take a good 5 mins for that for sure, making sure to have a short reel of parental control for online games..

Sucks for Retro, no gap left for them.
Delayed to 2018 ? No, they will talk about it later.
Even with the "summer beta", I'm sure they can show that as a PDF on their websites in the middle of June...

Effect

Give how much they covered in the last Nintendo Direct a little more than 30 minutes should be enough time to announce and cover a number of games. Remember Treehouse Live is where a LOT of stuff will be shown off and announced over the 3 days E3 takes place.

Doc Holliday

SPOILER: Columbus finds America
Good thing they got the Pokemon stuff out of the way, because i wouldn't have been shocked if the spent 10 mins on pokemon 3ds.

Waji

Too much news today, but where did they say this? Must have missed it.
https://e3.nintendo.com/

Nintendo's activities at E3 kick off with the Nintendo Spotlight: E3 2017 video presentation, featuring a closer look at the Super Mario Odyssey game and new details for Nintendo Switch™ games launching this year.
3ds is nowhere to be mentionned. 3ds is Treehouse only.
And I still think it'll really be 30 minutes, not especially much more. But it's 30 minutes of Switch games and that's it, which can be massive, much more than any other E3/Direct.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom