• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Switch eShops from other regions can easily be accessed

I'm downloading the demo of puyo puyo tetris now. The digital version is more expensive than my physical UK preorder, but if I choose to buy it, what denominations are the eshop cards available in? On the eshop the game is 5389 yen - is that the tax included price? Trying to figure out what I'll need to buy from amazon to cover it.
The denominations are: 500, 1000, 2000, 3000, 5000, 9000.

But you could just get the game download code, right?

Leezard

You can even use your local country's credit card and purchase games with it in other country's eShops (According to LauraK, Dystify and VOOKS, all on Twitter).

This is amazing and a true game changer.
It's even easier than on PS4.

That's great. I've had to buy a couple PSN cards to get around this on PS4.

boltpower

Neo Member
They did change something in the Eshop yesterday. I can't buy/add funds to my Canadian account with my international card anymore (They added a Zip Code checking, and I thinks that is the problem, card is from Argentina). Also can't cheack transactions before 03-03 (Need to use Wii-U / 3DS).

Do some of you have the same problem? Or are you using Eshop Cards? (Had to buy Canadian Digital Eshop Card to purchase Zelda)

All this was using the online Eshop (Buy Digital etc)

They did change something in the Eshop yesterday. I can't buy/add funds to my Canadian account with my international card anymore (They added a Zip Code checking, and I thinks that is the problem, card is from Argentina). Also can't cheack transactions before 03-03 (Need to use Wii-U / 3DS).

Do some of you have the same problem? Or are you using Eshop Cards? (Had to buy Canadian Digital Eshop Card to purchase Zelda)

All this was using the online Eshop (Buy Digital etc)
I had this problem, but I was able to add funds to my account using my 3DS.

On 3DS, go to eShop, then Add Funds.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
The Amazon.co.jp accounts are separate.

You have to create a brand new account on Amazon.co.jp

hmm thats strange. Pretty sure I've ordered from there before in the past. And my wife buys stuff from the JP kindle store all the time and her email login is the same.

well lets try this anyway

I understand that no money is lost by buying out-of-region, but in the case of games that will eventually be released in the US, isn't there the possibility that by buying the version from the JP store and not buying the US one when it releases, you could be discouraging the company from releasing future titles in the US, and possibly even localizing them? (I'm just using the US as an example, applies to other countries too)

Sure, the possibility exists that they can track IPs or credit cards to see where the purchases are coming from, but it's also possible that when the next title is in development some suit will be looking at a simple slide with Japan and US numbers from Nintendo's store and declare the US version not worth it, especially if they can save $ by not translating.

deadfolk

hmm thats strange. Pretty sure I've ordered from there before in the past. And my wife buys stuff from the JP kindle store all the time and her email login is the same.

well lets try this anyway

The thing that might catch you out (because it did me) is that when you try to buy, it will complain about your region and prompt you to change it by adding an address. If you follow the prompt, the address form it gives you does not allow you to select Japan.

You need to go to your address book and select the option to add a domestic address, and then use that address when you place the order.

J

Jpop

Unconfirmed Member
I understand that no money is lost by buying out-of-region, but in the case of games that will eventually be released in the US, isn't there the possibility that by buying the version from the JP store and not buying the US one when it releases, you could be discouraging the company from releasing future titles in the US, and possibly even localizing them? (I'm just using the US as an example, applies to other countries too)

Sure, the possibility exists that they can track IPs or credit cards to see where the purchases are coming from, but it's also possible that when the next title is in development some suit will be looking at a simple slide with Japan and US numbers from Nintendo's store and declare the US version not worth it, especially if they can save $ by not translating.

The amount of people who will buy out of region are insignificant.

mrklaw

MrArseFace

yes. You're also potentially messing things up in cases where a separate company licenses eg a Japanese IP for localisation and publication in the west.

But ultimately its a global market these days and companies should be able to deal with things like that. Like you say - Nintendo should be able to track IPs and potentially supply those to publishers to support splitting out revenue for subsidiary companies. Not sure what separate localisation/publishing companies would do to protect against loss of revenue though.

Received my Switch just now, but I didn't preorder Zelda and none of the shops nearby have it in stock, all sold out. I thought, whatever, I just buy it from the eShop, no big deal. Holy fucking shit, it's €69.99 in the EU eShop! Created a US Nintendo account, bought a Zelda digital code from Amazon for $59.99 and redeemed it, downloading now.

i think this will be the trend....

iyox

I can seem to create a new account for another region. I never get the verification email, and the resend code link is dead.

kubus

Ah, posted about this in two other threads already but I was actually looking for a thread like this one. Interesting that some people can use foreign credit cards and others can't (myself included).

Those who tried to buy from an eShop that is from a different region than your credit card's, could you answer these questions?

1) Did it work?
2) What country's credit card did you use?
3) Which eShop did you try to buy from?
4) VISA or MasterCard?
5) (Optional) If it didn't work, did you get an error?

I had no trouble buying from the Japanese 3DS and Wii U eShop and even My Nintendo Store with my Dutch credit card (Master Card), but it doesn't work on the Japanese Switch eShop. Trying to figure out why it works for some but not for everyone.

Ah, posted about this in two other threads already but I was actually looking for a thread like this one. Interesting that some people can use foreign credit cards and others can't (myself included).

Those who tried to buy from an eShop that is from a different region than your credit card's, could you answer these questions?

1) Did it work?
4) VISA or MasterCard?

I had no trouble buying from the Japanese 3DS and Wii U eShop and even My Nintendo Store with my Dutch credit card (Master Card), but it doesn't work on the Japanese Switch eShop. Trying to figure out why it works for some but not for everyone.
1) No
2) UK
3) Canada
4) Vida
5) No, just a generic "verify card information" notice.

I also had zero problem buying Wii U & 3DS stuff from Canada eShop but it didn't work with Switch.

HOWEVER, I got around it by adding funds to my account using my 3DS. I was then able to buy Shovel Knight from the Switch using my account balance.

boltpower

Neo Member

1) Did it work?
4) VISA or MasterCard?

My card is from Argentina. I use the Canadian Eshop. After the update of the 03/03 I couldnt use my card, got an error. (Used Vise and Mastercard, same problem). I couldnt use it online or in the WiiU Eshop.
They added a Postal Code in the Credit Card form.

In the end I bought a Gift Card.

Garret Hawk said you can add funds using 3DS, but I didnt try it.

My card is from Argentina. I use the Canadian Eshop. After the update of the 03/03 I couldnt use my card, got an error. (Used Vise and Mastercard, same problem). I couldnt use it online or in the WiiU Eshop.
They added a Postal Code in the Credit Card form.

In the end I bought a Gift Card.

Garret Hawk said you can add funds using 3DS, but I didnt try it.

Wasn't the postal code always there? I remember finding some random Canadian postal code and using that on Wii U.

boltpower

Neo Member
Wasn't the postal code always there? I remember finding some random Canadian postal code and using that on Wii U.

Mmm, I don't know, now it doesn't work (I put some random Canadian postal code). I had the card saved in the account and I doesn't work anymore. Last game I bought was Pokken in November.

I deleted it and added another one and the same result.

Mmm, I don't know, now it doesn't work (I put some random Canadian postal code). I had the card saved in the account and I doesn't work anymore. Last game I bought was Pokken in November.

I deleted it and added another one and the same result.

Do you recall if the post code was from the same region in Canada that you have on your NNID/console?

iphys

Does puyo puyo have English text? I'd like to buy it instead of waiting :)

No, but it's pretty much just a matter of trial and error trying things in the menu, if you want to try the demo first and see if you can get the feel of it. Also, I know some people specifically wanted the Japanese version because apparently the English voices are really annoying.

rec0ded1

Was going to get disgaea digital but that price on amazon.jp...

If it was around 4k yen I would've pulled the trigger

so basically i make a new Nintendo account with Japan as the address and i can buy stuff on the Japanese eshop and play it on my American account?

deadfolk

1) Did it work?
4) VISA or MasterCard?

1) Nope
2) Ireland
3) Japan
4) Visa
5) Dunno, it was in Japanese. But it was red!

boltpower

Neo Member
Do you recall if the post code was from the same region in Canada that you have on your NNID/console?

Just tried again.
I used Alberta in the NN, I can't find the info in MyNintendo. CP: (AB) T6B 0A5, also tried a Postal Code from my time zone (St. Johns Terranova), that appears in MyNintendo

"Verify the information you have entered."

Bought a Eshop card.

PcgameSupply has canadian and american Eshop Cards.

Just tried again.
I used Alberta in the NN, I can't find the info in MyNintendo. CP: (AB) T6B 0A5, also tried a Postal Code from my time zone (St. Johns Terranova), that appears in MyNintendo

Bought a Eshop card.

Sigh, well that's annoying. I guess I'll just use a US account and but eShop codes/cards from Amazon.

Can I just change my region and log in with my Nintendo account or do I need a new one?

You can just change your account region but doing so will unlink any NNID associated with it.

Just tried again.

Bought a Eshop card.

Ok so just to test, I tried to buy a Wii U game from Nintendo.com site. The process has definitely changed from before. I put in the Alberta postal code and it accepted it just fine. I'm at the screen where it has a Purchase button.

mrk8885

Banned
Question:

If i change my Nintendo account region to Japan, buy a game, and then change back to North America, is the game still appropriately linked to my account and available for re-download without changing my region back to Japan?

I know that changing regions zeroes out your eshop balance and that doesnt bother me, but I just want to make sure there aren't other hurdles.

PSqueak

Banned
Hype for when the inevitable Super Robot Wars game comes out, hopefully continuing the precedent set by Moon Dwellers and V to come with english translations.

iphys

1) Did it work?
4) VISA or MasterCard?

1) No
2) Canada
3) Japan
4) Mastercard
5) No error, but it just continually resets the credit card entry page every time I finish entering the security code. Tried both Japanese regions or whatever they are and neither works.

iphys

You have to pay taxes in Canada. So might end up being a bit more or very similar price.

Assuming you pay 5% tax in Canada and 0% in the US, it still works out a smidge better to buy from Canada. Only people it doesn't help are people that would be paying no currency conversion by buying from the US vs paying currency conversion to buy from Canada, so pretty much just Americans.

mothball

1) Did it work?
4) VISA or MasterCard?

No
US
Japan
Visa
An error in Japanese saying to check the information entered.

Storm360

Question

If I buy digitally from the US version, can I play locally with EU copies of a game, has anyone tried that yet?

i think this will be the trend....
It's the age old problem really. $60 practically buys you €60 now yet NOE don't get €60 for selling something for €60 because of taxes. I think that is why we are seeing them push top tier games up to €70 but as a consumer that leaves me paying €10 more for no direct benefit to myself if I were to stick with a € eShop. Add in the fact that retail is ruthless as discounts here in Euopre and it makes digital downloads unattractive...

I still think the best way Nintendo can make digital work is to like make less popular out of print games Nintendo selects as digital only.

Anyone know how much is disgaea and what website do I gotta go to to start making my jpn id
https://ec.nintendo.com/JP/ja/titles/70010000000148
https://www.amazon.co.jp/dp/B06XBZY37C/
No discount on Amazon :(

Making ID has been said plenty of times. Make a new Nintendo account and select Japan in the drop down option.

holy shit it really was that easy. one last thing, can i use American eshop cards on the japanese store? or use funds from my US account towards purchases for the other profile?

right but if i buy a eshop card in the US will it work on the Japanese store? damn I've got the puyo demo downloading right now. this is awesome.

Top Bottom