• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Switch eShops from other regions can easily be accessed

Okay it's late and I apologize but how do we do this? I have an American account. To access the Japanese store I have to make a whole new account or can I use the same one for different regions?

mothball

Okay it's late and I apologize but how do we do this? I have an American account. To access the Japanese store I have to make a whole new account or can I use the same one for different regions?

Create a new account at accounts.nintendo.com with the region set to Japan. Add a new user on the Switch. Link the user with that new account.

Then when you open the eShop you just choose which user to use.

vgamer1

Any way to remove the Japanese news panes on the lock screen? It looks like it's pulling it from the "news" option on the main menu. Ideally I'd turn news off of the Japanese account forever.

besiktas1

Have we figured out which region has the cheapest games like on xbox usually its Brazil or Russia. Usually with those savings i make more impulse buys.

Also how does it work in terms of purchaces. If i buy from JP account can i play on my primary UK account even when offline?

mrk8885

Banned
I'm a little confused even trying to sort through this thread. Please correct me where I'm wrong: Here's what I gathered:

To access the Japanese eshop (as an American), you can either:
-make a 2nd Nintendo account in Japan region
Or
-change the region on your main Nintendo account to Japan

If you change the region of your primary account, you lose any eshop funds currently on that account

From what I've gathered, you can't purchase from the Japanese eshop with an American CC and need to buy eshop credit.

If a game has an English option, having your system set to English (regardless of the region for your Nintendo account) will enable it

There should be no problem having multiple accounts from different regions on one switch

Lingering questions:
1) if your switch is set to English and you access the Japanese eshop, is the eshop in Japanese ( I assume) or English (which would be helpful but not necessary)

2) If I switch my Nintendo account region to Japanese, buy some games, and then change back to America, do the Japanese games appear on my account game list / are they redownloadable without changing my account back to Japanese?

I had totally planned to do this PS4 style making a separate Japanese account. However, if it's actually pretty simple and possibly advantageous to keep it all on one account (assuming I don't have to region swap to download my games again or something) than that option is even better! Other than zeroing out my balance every time.

Theswweet

I'm a little confused even trying to sort through this thread. Please correct me where I'm wrong: Here's what I gathered:

To access the Japanese eshop (as an American), you can either:
-make a 2nd Nintendo account in Japan region
Or
-change the region on your main Nintendo account to Japan

If you change the region of your primary account, you lose any eshop funds currently on that account

From what I've gathered, you can't purchase from the Japanese eshop with an American CC and need to buy eshop credit.

If a game has an English option, having your system set to English (regardless of the region for your Nintendo account) will enable it

There should be no problem having multiple accounts from different regions on one switch

Lingering questions:
1) if your switch is set to English and you access the Japanese eshop, is the eshop in Japanese ( I assume) or English (which would be helpful but not necessary)

2) If I switch my Nintendo account region to Japanese, buy some games, and then change back to America, do the Japanese games appear on my account game list / are they redownloadable without changing my account back to Japanese?

I had totally planned to do this PS4 style making a separate Japanese account. However, if it's actually pretty simple and possibly advantageous to keep it all on one account (assuming I don't have to region swap to download my games again or something) than that option is even better! Other than zeroing out my balance every time.

Some folks their card seems to work on the JP eShop fine, others not so much. Not a big deal for me since I've got the 3DS workaround regardless, but still.

Also, Japanese eShop is ALWAYS in Japanese.

mrk8885

Banned
Some folks their card seems to work on the JP eShop fine, others not so much. Not a big deal for me since I've got the 3DS workaround regardless, but still.

Also, Japanese eShop is ALWAYS in Japanese.

Thanks. Figured that it would be. Hopefully not too hard to navigate!

deadfolk

Anyone tried buying a game code (e.g. Disgaea) from amazon.jp?

Can't think of any reason it wouldn't work, but it's a lot of cabbage to risk.

http://en-americas-support.nintendo.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/22453 said:
- On the active Nintendo Switch console, use your Nintendo Account to access the Nintendo eShop and deactivate the console.
- - If you don’t have access to the active console, please contact us for additional assistance.
What does this mean? Would NOE unlink my Japanese account if I contact them? If not would NCL accept e-mailed google translated nonsense to unlink? Sticking to one account and switching countries has its own problems as well though.

Have we figured out which region has the cheapest games like on xbox usually its Brazil or Russia. Usually with those savings i make more impulse buys.
I posted about this earlier and it depends on the currency you are purchasing with, what the main Nintendo subsidary set the exchange at (they tend to be within 10% of the current value) and if it is a retailed priced game or a digital priced game (for example a €10 VC game is £9 but a €60 retail game is £50). People in places like Norway probably stand to save about 15% by not using Norwegian eShop.

There are also other things to consider like you might be able to find download codes for less than eShop price. For example 1-2-Switch is €50 on the eShop. Amazon Germany sell the download code for €35 (while it says Note: Currently, this product is only available to customers in Germany and Austria, I guess like Japan that is only ships to those addresses).

Download codes are lot less restrictive than credit*. At least in the past "PAL" download codes have worked in all non-Oceania "PAL" eShops (i.e. Europe, Russia and South Afrcia) whereas Oceania (Australia and New Zealand) use a different incompatible cypher. Likewise NTSC-U and NTSC-J use different cyphers.

*-Currency has to match for eShop credit meaning £s can only be used on UK eShop etc...

Note: Currently, this item is available only to customers located in the Japan.

Play-Asia charges 390 yens for the 1000 yen cards and 687 yen for the 5000 yen cards right now, is not a bad deal.

Play-Asia charges 390 yens for the 1000 yen cards and 687 yen for the 5000 yen cards right now, is not a bad deal.
It is a bad deal when all you need to do to buy cards on Amazon Japan (a charge of 0 yen for any yen card can buy 500 yen at minimum) is:
If you want to buy eShop cards from Amazon Japan you simply need to make an Amazon Japan (seperate from US/UK/etc), use credit/debit cards as payment method and make sure to have a Japanese billing address during check-out (can be whichever).

Cards can be bought here and will be sent as code to your e-mail, or you'll get it upon completed purchase or check within your Amazon Japan account.

CDX

If you want to buy eShop cards from Amazon Japan you simply need to make an Amazon Japan (seperate from US/UK/etc), use credit/debit cards as payment method and make sure to have a Japanese billing address during check-out (can be whichever).

Cards can be bought here and will be sent as code to your e-mail, or you'll get it upon completed purchase or check within your Amazon Japan account.

YES! Digital Codes emailed directly from www.Amazon.co.jp with no marked up prices.

Thank You.

If I can't use my US credit card directly I'll have to buy from www.Amazon.co.jp

QUESTION - Can these codes also be purchased with Amazon.co.jp giftcards?

If it works that way. Ordering a amazon.co.jp giftcard first then using that giftcard to purchase Japanese e-shop credit could be a useful work around if you run into credit card issues because your address doesn't match.

CDX

*-Currency has to match for eShop credit meaning £s can only be used on UK eShop etc...

So does this mean.

Any euro € card or emailed code, can be used in any eshop that uses the euro € currency? It doesn't have to be country specific? The currency just has to match?

If so that's good to know.

Sealtest

Any Canadian buy the Zelda season pass from Amazon US and try and redeem it on the Canadian eshop? I'd love to know if this works.

Shiggy

So does this mean.

Any euro € card or emailed code, can be used in any eshop that uses the euro € currency? It doesn't have to be country specific? The currency just has to match?

If so that's good to know.

Yes.

patientx

Out of all the potential useful regional accounts only Korea can't be created outside Korea, it needs verification of being a Korean citizen. Other than that EU, US, HK, AUS and of course JP can be created easily.

patientx

OP should create a FAQ about the things people discovered so far at the 1st post so others can benefit from all these posts :)

Lexxism

Thanks. Incredible we just went from the walled 3ds ecosystem to this.
My region free games ❤️
C58Qjh6UoAA9m0O
Yup. Here's one of the screenshot above. It's definitely a great thing.

ggx2ac

You can't use non-Japanese eShop cards for the Japanese eShop. (US eShop gift cards for US, Europe eShop gift cards for Europe and so on).

Thanks for this.

I have discovered some things from trying to keep everything on one account.

First of all, my debit/credit card wouldn't work on the JP eShop. :(

So I went to get the eShop card off AmazonJP in the quote above, it took a while to figure out the things to get the order through.

Anyway, I changed my Nintendo Account region to Japan, entered the JP eShop card code for ¥1000 and bought Blaster Master Zero for ¥980.

The transaction went through, switched back to my original region which wiped out the 20 yen left in the JP region.

The game works, I didn't need to have the Japan region active for my account.

Now, this is where things got interesting. I deleted the game while having the region set to my region and not Japan.

I go to the eShop of my region and found out that I can redownload the game from my region eShop. I didn't need to switch to Japan region to access it.

If that's the case why couldn't they just make this easier...

Oh also, for accessing the eShop you can switch regions on your phone back and forth without having to restart the Switch. You just need to not be in the eShop while this is happening.

And! I haven't finished yet. I received 10 gold coins to my.nintendo account from buying Blaster Master Zero. So regardless of switching regions, you get to keep all your coins on the account.

Edit: The only thing I am baffled with is why Inti creates don't let you use the Pro Controller for Master Blaster Zero.

Edit 2: So, the only downside I've found so far is of course that I don't have a credit card to do the JP purchases so that I can purchase the exact amount.

Edit 3: And as Cheesemeister said earlier, I was able to relink my NNID to my account after being done with all of the above since I would need it for when I have to repurchase all my VC games.

Netto-kun

I can only speak for point card codes, 3DS and Wii U game codes which worked perfectly fine (so in theory it should also work for Switch). In the case of 3DS and Wii U games Amazon Japan will also ask whether you'd like to redirect to another page and login to your NNID to redeem the code and initiate standby mode download right away.

QUESTION - Can these codes also be purchased with Amazon.co.jp giftcards?

If it works that way. Ordering a amazon.co.jp giftcard first then using that giftcard to purchase Japanese e-shop credit could be a useful work around if you run into credit card issues because your address doesn't match.
You are welcome. :)

I haven't done the giftcard part, but I assume it'll also work for buying eShop point cards if you run into issues with matching addresses. That's what I do to buy songs from Japanese Amazon Music since that part of Amazon Japan won't accept my card.

JP

I can't imagine this will last but it is good news. I've now added American and Japanese accounts to my pre-existing UK account and given the two new accounts perfect nicknames and Nintendo IDs for their particular regions.

Not that it look like I'll be buying a Switch at the moment but I may do in a year or so. At least I'll be ready to go if I do.

Hmmm, can't use my uk card on Canada eShop anymore. Wasn't a problem on the 3DS and Wii U. Doesn't even let me checkout online using it

ggx2ac

Whoa this is really great news, thanks for testing this all out.

So if you go to:
https://accounts.nintendo.com > Shop Menu > Account Activity
the Japanese purchase will show whilst you're set to your home region?

I'm still shook this is even a thing, roll on VC!

Unfortunately I can't access the shop menu because they still haven't set it up in my region: It gives an error saying, Error 904-1404 "This site cannot be used in your country at this time."

The only record of my Japanese purchase 'in a sense' was in my.nintendo account where I tap on the gold coin jar > view your points > log, and then it states that I made a purchase between 500-1000 yen which earned me 10 gold coins.

Okay, I can still add funds to my CAN account using my UK card using my 3DS and they show up on my Switch account.

Stupid workaround but eh.

japanese one didn't work either.... but there's worse...

i can't add fund in my own account either, i've got this error :

2813-0091

Okay that definitely worked.

Using my NTSC 3DS I was able to add funds on the CAN eShop using my UK credit card and then buy Shovel Knight on the CAN eShop on my Switch.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I'm downloading the demo of puyo puyo tetris now. The digital version is more expensive than my physical UK preorder, but if I choose to buy it, what denominations are the eshop cards available in? On the eshop the game is 5389 yen - is that the tax included price? Trying to figure out what I'll need to buy from amazon to cover it.

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
Cautiously optimistic...expecting them to 'fix' this though. Can't fathom Nintendo out of all companies being fine with this workaround.

sidusson

Neo Member
strange i cant start the demo of the jap dragon quest heroes 1-2, it says it needs the full game to start.. any ideas? changing languages doesnt help..

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Thanks for this.

I have discovered some things from trying to keep everything on one account.

why are you trying to keep things on one account? I'd have thought having separate purchase from different regions would make more sense - especially if Nintendo close this avenue eventually and there are issues with having games from more than one region on your account.

And as you can just have an account sitting there but still play with your normal account, it doesn't seem to make any practical difference?

ggx2ac

Cautiously optimistic...expecting them to 'fix' this though. Can't fathom Nintendo out of all companies being fine with this workaround.

It looks like they've already blocked foreign credit cards from working on other eShops so they'll probably take the next step and remove eShop cards as well. lol

why are you trying to keep things on one account? I'd have thought having separate purchase from different regions would make more sense - especially if Nintendo close this avenue eventually and there are issues with having games from more than one region on your account.

And as you can just have an account sitting there but still play with your normal account, it doesn't seem to make any practical difference?

If that happens, that would mean they are literally taking a huge step back to the NNID days so then the question would be what was the point of them making Nintendo Account then?

deadfolk

I can only speak for point card codes, 3DS and Wii U game codes which worked perfectly fine (so in theory it should also work for Switch). In the case of 3DS and Wii U games Amazon Japan will also ask whether you'd like to redirect to another page and login to your NNID to redeem the code and initiate standby mode download right away.

You are welcome. :)

I haven't done the giftcard part, but I assume it'll also work for buying eShop point cards if you run into issues with matching addresses. That's what I do to buy songs from Japanese Amazon Music since that part of Amazon Japan won't accept my card.

Okay, I bought the Disgaea code from amazon.co.jp, and redeemed. It's downloading now, so it seems this is another way to go if you don't want to have to pay over the odds to get eShop monies.

So I can use my U.S. card and buy games from say the Japanese eshop? That can't be right. That's too awesome to be even remotely right.

gogogow

Received my Switch just now, but I didn't preorder Zelda and none of the shops nearby have it in stock, all sold out. I thought, whatever, I just buy it from the eShop, no big deal. Holy fucking shit, it's €69.99 in the EU eShop! Created a US Nintendo account, bought a Zelda digital code from Amazon for $59.99 and redeemed it, downloading now.

Top Bottom